Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Remember all the Obama folks saying "we don't want your guns"?

I can't recall a single instance, let alone enough voices to constitute 'folks'.

I know a lot of Obama supporters who have been upset with him for not doing what they thought he would in terms of pursuing gun control measures, and a lot of Obama detractors who feared/fear he was going to come for their guns, but I don't remember anyone saying 'we don't want your guns'.

If things continue as they have been with these shootings, I would expect to see some bans on high-powered firearms. I don't agree with that, but I think public opinion is shifting.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can't recall a single instance, let alone enough voices to constitute 'folks'.

You can't be serious. It was a major point in the 2008 campaign. I clearly remember Obama himself saying "I'm not going to take away your guns". Many dems ran on phony pro gun stances, including Ted Strickland here in Ohio (although I believe he was actually sincere). How soon we forget.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Do people break into occupied homes or rather wait till the occupants are not home? Would make sense to do the latter not the former . . . I can't recall the last time I read a story about a homeowner having their house burglarized when they are home.

Either way, isn't most gun violence centered around drugs/gangs or robberies at stores anyway?

ARPS:
Quote:

What would you do with the people that already have several? What about private collections where people have hundreds of guns (I know 2 people with over 100)? More importantly..
How do you insure that criminals dont have them anymore?

I don't know, just thinking out loud really. Would it still be constitutional to limit type and quantity. As for what you do with those that already have more than one, laws are usually passed and are not retroactive, meaning it doesn't make what was done prior to criminal. I would suppose from this day forward one could make a law that limits ownership.

As for the last part on criminals not having them, I suppose if you got tough on crime . . i.e anyone committing a felony or crime of violence or drug related offense, or any domestic charge could be forbidden to own a gun.

I don't know. Gotta do something man on all fronts. I don't think changing gun laws in an of themselves is the only way to go, we need to do something about the other things I mentioned too, but you have to start somewhere and start strong.

Have you ever heard the term "home invasion"? Which is exactly that, where criminals break in WHILE the people are home.

Often because the are after some in particular that the owner may be needed to get access to, or because it's an easy crime of opportunity where they walk up and knock on the front door, if no one answers then they sneak around back and break in, if someone does they force their way in and tie up or beat the home owner(s).

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

If things continue as they have been with these shootings, I would expect to see some bans on high-powered firearms. I don't agree with that, but I think public opinion is shifting.

In your opinion, what is a "high powered" fire arm? This isn't some "gotcha" question. Do you mean the round fired? Do you mean the magazine capacity? Do you mean "how the gun looks - if it looks mean, it's bad"? What is a "high powered" firearm?

E
Legend
Legend
E

Let me be sure I understand this bill.

They would ban this because it looks like a military weapon, even though it shoots an itty bitty. 22 bullet. The caliber of bullet that is mostly used for shooting squirrels?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...playErrorView_Y

But a magnum 500 revolver that can turn you into a red stain is ok?

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
people kill people, guns kill people, always have always will.

Lets take proactive measures when it comes to the weapons of destruction, because they do destroy.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

So let's see..... Because one of the most left wing nut liberals comes up with some idiotic thing to propose that has zero chance of passing, let's call it a done deal, claim we have a target on our backs and go over the deep end?

And some wonder why nobody can really take them seriously...........

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

people kill people, guns kill people, always have always will.

Lets take proactive measures when it comes to the weapons of destruction, because they do destroy.

Take them out of the hands of violent criminals across our nation who will never obey gun laws in the first place and there might be room for discusssion.

But since that could never happen, the bottom line is, all you want to do is propose we keep law abiding citizens from protecting themselves from those criniminals.

Is that what you propose we be "pro active" in doing?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So let's see..... Because one of the most left wing nut liberals comes up with some idiotic thing to propose that has zero chance of passing, let's call it a done deal, claim we have a target on our backs and go over the deep end?

And some wonder why nobody can really take them seriously...........

In case you haven't heard, quite a few dems are calling for increased gun control. This is just the first actual proposal I"ve seen in print. I've not gone off the deep end, and I don't spend a lot of time wondering if people take me seriously. If that were the case, I'd probably be getting into multi-page 2 person debates on this forum (that no one but the participants actually read ).

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
All you peak of is nothing new. The left wing of the Dems have been proposing gun control for decades. And it happened after Columbine too.

It's the same old, same old, not news or anything to be in shock over.

The only thing I've really heard said by any of the moderates is to more strictly enforce the laws we have and stiffen penalties for gun crimes.

Which by any rational person is what should have been going on all long.

The rest of your post is silly jibberish. Message boards are a forum for debate. You know....... People debate and resond back and forth to each other. Just an FYI

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
How can you seriously think there is no gun control legislation about to be tabled? There are quite a few moderates jumping on this bandwagon, and Obama supports the Feinstein bill I posted.
cnn

Any gun owner should be taking this stuff seriouisly. The biggest concern for me is the "detachable magazine" issue, as most of my firearms have them. If they follow Cali's high capacity mag law, I'm screwed....I don't think they even make 10 round (or less) mags for several of my guns...including my carry piece. Thumbhole stock? How does this make a gun "more dangerous"? There goes another one of my guns. If you take the definition of "semi-automatic" literally, a revolver fits it, as it automatically chambers the next round when you fire it. If this crap goes through, I'll be left with my muzzleloader and pump shotgun....provided the 5 shell magazine tube isn't too large. What will probably happen is that Feinstein's bill will be tabled, debated and tweaked into a piece of crap that will pass as feel good legislation....as the Clinton assault weapon ban was. For once, I really do hope that you're right and my post is just jibberish.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

If this crap goes through, I'll be left with my muzzleloader and pump shotgun....provided the 5 shell magazine tube isn't too large.

What is there to fear, because the criminals will have to follow the same laws and rules as well, so they will only have muzzelloaders and pump shotguns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

1. Why would someone want to own an AR-15 (or similar high powered rifle)? It's a serious question. Is the primary use home defense? Couldn't just a regular shotgun, handgun, or other type of firearm do the same job the AR-15 can? (Might be similar to someone buying a mustang vs a kia for the commute to work everyday?)[\quote]

I'll answer this one in two parts. The first part is easy. The Consitution says I can. That's the same if I want to drive a Mustang or a Kia to work. Secondly, no one can predict the future. For all any of us know, I might have a need in the near future to have to shoot several people invading my house to defend my family and property. It doesn't matter if the reason is a collapsed government, hurricane, earthquake, EMP, foreign invasion, alien invasion, or zombie appocalypse. If anarchist, rioting hoards show up at my house for any reason, I'd feel much better having a decent rifle that can fire off 30 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger, along with a shotgun, handgun, and any other weapon I can think of. Also, I might just enjoy target shooting with my legally obtained weapons.

Quote:

2. There's a school of thought which says "Evil people will do evil things, regardless..." and another school of thought which says "Outright ban the sale of guns". Can there somehow be a nice middle ground between the two?

You answered your own question. Evil people do evil things. They will do it with guns or without. Does Oklahoma City ring a bell? There wasn't a single shot fired. Banning guns only takes weapons from those that don't do evil things. Evil will find a way around the laws.

Quote:

3. The Second Amendment was put in place way back when to address militias before the government had an adequate means of defense in the states and municipalities in those states. Do we need some sort of amendment to update the wording to make the whole "right to bear arms" issue a bit more clear?

The 2nd Amendment clearly states "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
I never understand why people want to open this statement to interpetation. The idea of a militia is simple. It's a group of people that assume the responsibility defending their country, state, county, community, or neighborhood. To do this properly, they must be armed. Our founding fathers did not want to keep a standing military, as history shows us that standing armies often strive for the rule of a country. We are lucky that our military is voluntary and mostly made from regular citizens, as this keeps the chances of a coup very low. The fact that the regular citizenry is armed also keeps the chances of a coup very low. This is the main reason we have the right to keep and bear arms and form militias.

As the British went house to house searching for weapons, seditious materials, or just incriminating evidence, it became clear to the people that these rights are needed to keep our government from ruling the people instead of representing the people. Our Bill of Rights is the reason we are still mostly represented by the government. Without these rights, we will be ruled in the same way the Chinese are. As it was said above, evil people do evil things. Does anyone want to take the chance that evil is within our government? Do you ever want to be told you have to move, go to work, watch/read/think only appropriate things, or give up what you've earned and obtained because the government said so?

All great societies eventually fail. The Egyptians, the Romans, the Greeks, the Chinese Empire, Imperial Japan, the British Empire, and the Soviet Union have all failed in recent history. I guarentee you it's the well armed and organized militias from those societies that got to form the next great society and not the disarmed feudal serf.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

A school not to far from here just voted to allow some staff to carry concealed handguns.

http://bryantimes.com/news/local/article_a6fd54b6-5af3-11e2-8b87-0019bb2963f4.html

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

j/c

A school not to far from here just voted to allow some staff to carry concealed handguns.

http://bryantimes.com/news/local/article_a6fd54b6-5af3-11e2-8b87-0019bb2963f4.html

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Wyoming legislators have introduced a bill to protect gun rights, including 5 years in prison for any federal officer trying to enforce a ban on gun ownership.

http://k2radio.com/wyoming-lawmakers-propose-gun-protection-legislation/

A
Legend
Legend
A
Wow! That's a pre-emptive strike.

Legend
Legend
I am, like you, not a gun guy. I like cars. that's my hobby.

I've asked the same question about why an auto or semi auto weapon is even needed. One person answered simply because he wanted it. I guess that's cool. My car stock had 222 HP at the Crank, I wanted more. it now has 288 at the Crank. do I need it,, hell no I don't.. but hey, it's my hobby so I wanted it and that's that.

Of course, guns and cars, two different things but both can be sport/hobby so I get it.

The man who dies with the most toys wins LOL

You asked if there was a compromise to be reached. To some folks on here, any compromise is a dirty thing. (that's from either side of the argument I might add) you'll never get them to agree to this, but I think banning weapons that are Semi Auto that are easily and cheaply converted to full auto is a start.

I'm not talking about banning ownership from the get go, but banning the production of those weapons.

or, you could make ban the kits that turn them into full auto I suppose. I have no idea how you'd enforce that.

For me, I don't own guns,, never have, don't feel the need, but like I"ve said before, I like that I can go buy one if I want to.

In my view, the NRA will never understand the difference between now and the time the 2nd amendment was written. Times are so different.

And now Ohio allows people to carry in bars? That one you will never get me to believe in. (some damn fool will sit here and tell me I'll be happy he can carry in a bar if someone else pulls out a gun,,, as if we are going to have a freakin shoot out in the OK Corral bar and grill, this ain't the freakin wild west)

Like I said, I support gun ownership,,100%,, I don't find it necessary to own automatic weapons (and before someone says it, Yeah, I know, it's illegal to own Automatic weapons,, But people do. they buy semi auto and convert them)

I mean, unless you are a nutbag that actually thinks you need guns to protect yourself against the federal government,, what value are some of these weapons.

Oh, and just in case you are someone that feels he needs to protect himself against the federal government,, For get about it.. you aren't ever going to out gun them.. I mean, all they gotta do is roll up in a tank and you can take your high power, fully automatic assault rifle and kiss your butt goodbye LOL That battle is over the minute they roll up on your lawn with that. One shot, no more house...

Like I said, I get the hobby,, I understand it and I got no problem with it..

I am 100% sure the NRA doesn't like these school or public massacres any more than the most anti guy person.. they don't want that. They represent responsible gun ownership and usage. These are decent people..

Then you have the ones that just don't want guns on the street.. These are good folks also,,

Both have solid views and values, neither wants senseless killing of kids or shootings in the street or theartres or malls or whereever.

So, if they both have the same goal, compromise (theres that dirty word again) is not only possible, it's the responsible thing to do..

JMO

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I am, like you, not a gun guy. I like cars. that's my hobby.

I've asked the same question about why an auto or semi auto weapon is even needed. One person answered simply because he wanted it. I guess that's cool. My car stock had 222 HP at the Crank, I wanted more. it now has 288 at the Crank. do I need it,, hell no I don't.. but hey, it's my hobby so I wanted it and that's that.

Of course, guns and cars, two different things but both can be sport/hobby so I get it.

The man who dies with the most toys wins LOL

You asked if there was a compromise to be reached. To some folks on here, any compromise is a dirty thing. (that's from either side of the argument I might add) you'll never get them to agree to this, but I think banning weapons that are Semi Auto that are easily and cheaply converted to full auto is a start.

I'm not talking about banning ownership from the get go, but banning the production of those weapons.

or, you could make ban the kits that turn them into full auto I suppose. I have no idea how you'd enforce that.

For me, I don't own guns,, never have, don't feel the need, but like I"ve said before, I like that I can go buy one if I want to.

In my view, the NRA will never understand the difference between now and the time the 2nd amendment was written. Times are so different.

And now Ohio allows people to carry in bars? That one you will never get me to believe in. (some damn fool will sit here and tell me I'll be happy he can carry in a bar if someone else pulls out a gun,,, as if we are going to have a freakin shoot out in the OK Corral bar and grill, this ain't the freakin wild west)

Like I said, I support gun ownership,,100%,, I don't find it necessary to own automatic weapons (and before someone says it, Yeah, I know, it's illegal to own Automatic weapons,, But people do. they buy semi auto and convert them)

I mean, unless you are a nutbag that actually thinks you need guns to protect yourself against the federal government,, what value are some of these weapons.

Oh, and just in case you are someone that feels he needs to protect himself against the federal government,, For get about it.. you aren't ever going to out gun them.. I mean, all they gotta do is roll up in a tank and you can take your high power, fully automatic assault rifle and kiss your butt goodbye LOL That battle is over the minute they roll up on your lawn with that. One shot, no more house...

Like I said, I get the hobby,, I understand it and I got no problem with it..

I am 100% sure the NRA doesn't like these school or public massacres any more than the most anti guy person.. they don't want that. They represent responsible gun ownership and usage. These are decent people..

Then you have the ones that just don't want guns on the street.. These are good folks also,,

Both have solid views and values, neither wants senseless killing of kids or shootings in the street or theartres or malls or whereever.

So, if they both have the same goal, compromise (theres that dirty word again) is not only possible, it's the responsible thing to do..

JMO

You're a dangerous individual to personal freedoms and liberties of every American.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So, if they both have the same goal, compromise (theres that dirty word again) is not only possible, it's the responsible thing to do.

If compromising means relenquishing some of the rights and freedoms we currently enjoy (especially if we feel the premise violates the constitution), the "responsible thing to do" would be to fight it with any and all resources available.

Taking away the right to own my weapon of choice to defend myself because some nutjob or criminal killed people, is a crime...and idiotic.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
JC.

Quote:

By JOYCE LEE MALCOLM

Americans are determined that massacres such as happened in Newtown, Conn., never happen again. But how? Many advocate more effective treatment of mentally-ill people or armed protection in so-called gun-free zones. Many others demand stricter control of firearms.

We aren't alone in facing this problem. Great Britain and Australia, for example, suffered mass shootings in the 1980s and 1990s. Both countries had very stringent gun laws when they occurred. Nevertheless, both decided that even stricter control of guns was the answer. Their experiences can be instructive.

In 1987, Michael Ryan went on a shooting spree in his small town of Hungerford, England, killing 16 people (including his mother) and wounding another 14 before shooting himself. Since the public was unarmed—as were the police—Ryan wandered the streets for eight hours with two semiautomatic rifles and a handgun before anyone with a firearm was able to come to the rescue.

Nine years later, in March 1996, Thomas Hamilton, a man known to be mentally unstable, walked into a primary school in the Scottish town of Dunblane and shot 16 young children and their teacher. He wounded 10 other children and three other teachers before taking his own life.

Since 1920, anyone in Britain wanting a handgun had to obtain a certificate from his local police stating he was fit to own a weapon and had good reason to have one. Over the years, the definition of "good reason" gradually narrowed. By 1969, self-defense was never a good reason for a permit.

After Hungerford, the British government banned semiautomatic rifles and brought shotguns—the last type of firearm that could be purchased with a simple show of fitness—under controls similar to those in place for pistols and rifles. Magazines were limited to two shells with a third in the chamber.

Dunblane had a more dramatic impact. Hamilton had a firearm certificate, although according to the rules he should not have been granted one. A media frenzy coupled with an emotional campaign by parents of Dunblane resulted in the Firearms Act of 1998, which instituted a nearly complete ban on handguns. Owners of pistols were required to turn them in. The penalty for illegal possession of a pistol is up to 10 years in prison.

The results have not been what proponents of the act wanted. Within a decade of the handgun ban and the confiscation of handguns from registered owners, crime with handguns had doubled according to British government crime reports. Gun crime, not a serious problem in the past, now is. Armed street gangs have some British police carrying guns for the first time. Moreover, another massacre occurred in June 2010. Derrick Bird, a taxi driver in Cumbria, shot his brother and a colleague then drove off through rural villages killing 12 people and injuring 11 more before killing himself.

Meanwhile, law-abiding citizens who have come into the possession of a firearm, even accidentally, have been harshly treated. In 2009 a former soldier, Paul Clarke, found a bag in his garden containing a shotgun. He brought it to the police station and was immediately handcuffed and charged with possession of the gun. At his trial the judge noted: "In law there is no dispute that Mr. Clarke has no defence to this charge. The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant." Mr. Clarke was sentenced to five years in prison. A public outcry eventually won his release.

In November of this year, Danny Nightingale, member of a British special forces unit in Iraq and Afghanistan, was sentenced to 18 months in military prison for possession of a pistol and ammunition. Sgt. Nightingale was given the Glock pistol as a gift by Iraqi forces he had been training. It was packed up with his possessions and returned to him by colleagues in Iraq after he left the country to organize a funeral for two close friends killed in action. Mr. Nightingale pleaded guilty to avoid a five-year sentence and was in prison until an appeal and public outcry freed him on Nov. 29.

Six weeks after the Dunblane massacre in 1996, Martin Bryant, an Australian with a lifelong history of violence, attacked tourists at a Port Arthur prison site in Tasmania with two semiautomatic rifles. He killed 35 people and wounded 21 others.

At the time, Australia's guns laws were stricter than the United Kingdom's. In lieu of the requirement in Britain that an applicant for permission to purchase a gun have a "good reason," Australia required a "genuine reason." Hunting and protecting crops from feral animals were genuine reasons—personal protection wasn't.

With new Prime Minister John Howard in the lead, Australia passed the National Firearms Agreement, banning all semiautomatic rifles and semiautomatic and pump-action shotguns and imposing a more restrictive licensing system on other firearms. The government also launched a forced buyback scheme to remove thousands of firearms from private hands. Between Oct. 1, 1996, and Sept. 30, 1997, the government purchased and destroyed more than 631,000 of the banned guns at a cost of $500 million.

To what end? While there has been much controversy over the result of the law and buyback, Peter Reuter and Jenny Mouzos, in a 2003 study published by the Brookings Institution, found homicides "continued a modest decline" since 1997. They concluded that the impact of the National Firearms Agreement was "relatively small," with the daily rate of firearms homicides declining 3.2%.

According to their study, the use of handguns rather than long guns (rifles and shotguns) went up sharply, but only one out of 117 gun homicides in the two years following the 1996 National Firearms Agreement used a registered gun. Suicides with firearms went down but suicides by other means went up. They reported "a modest reduction in the severity" of massacres (four or more indiscriminate homicides) in the five years since the government weapons buyback. These involved knives, gas and arson rather than firearms.

In 2008, the Australian Institute of Criminology reported a decrease of 9% in homicides and a one-third decrease in armed robbery since the 1990s, but an increase of over 40% in assaults and 20% in sexual assaults.

What to conclude? Strict gun laws in Great Britain and Australia haven't made their people noticeably safer, nor have they prevented massacres. The two major countries held up as models for the U.S. don't provide much evidence that strict gun laws will solve our problems.

Ms. Malcolm, a professor of law at George Mason University Law School, is the author of several books including "Guns and Violence: The English Experience," (Harvard, 2002).

LINK

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You're right, cars and guns are completely different things. Far more people are killed every year by cars than handguns.

I propose we follow your logic, and outlaw any cars that go faster than 25MPH. Not that we should outlaw the current cars out there on the road, we just make it illegal to make them anymore. We'll also ban conversion kits to keep people from making hot rods or race cars out of them. I think cars should have no more than 50hp. They should also keep all the fancy ground effects, lights, high powered stereos, and loud mufflers off these cars too. Flame jobs and fancy paint jobs are also a nusance to people on the road, and should be dealt with appropriately.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Jc

Outlawing certain types of guns or certain calibers of bullets or certain numbers of bullets in clips wont work for two reasons.

1) Take away one type of gun, well there is always another type of gun to kill with.
2) People intent on murdering dont follow laws and they will use any means neccesary, whether it is a gun or something else

Like I have mentioned before, this is a coverup and excuse for not treating the real problem. Mental health care, and societies treatment of people with mental health issues.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's also not forget, for everything that is illegal, there is a market for it. Guns, drugs, tobacco without tax stamps, nitrox for cars, illegal pornography, and others all have a market. Guns are to be used for defense. In that vein, hammers, knives, clubs, baseball bats, and crowbars all have their specific purposes, but they are used for murder all the time too. Should all of these be outlawed too?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I am really thinking that there needs to be some social education for kids. Peer pressure and attitudes in schools are brutal.

Most of these mass murderers seem to be young adults who were outcast from their peer group and harbor great anger over it. The types of behavior teens participate in such as bullying, or teaseing, or whatever arent accepted socially in the adult world, so why do we allow kids to behave this way? Why are no social behavior classes that teach inclusivity instead of exclusivity?

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes, but it's also the inexperience of these kids that hurts them. When there are tons of anti-bullying, it keeps the kids from learning how to deal with a bully or how to deal with adversity. When they're little, they get a trophy for showing up. When they're older, they have no skills to deal with their setback and take the only way out they can think of, by taking others with them.

When I was in HS, we had kids with rifles and bow in their cars, as they went hunting. Just about everyone in school had a buck knife on their belt. There were no stabbings or gunfire in my school.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I agree. There are no classes that teach kids how to cope with life. Or bullies or anything else with regards to social structure. If you go to AA or EA or any other pchcological assistance program, it is chock full of support and strategies for coping with life.

Theres no support system in place in our schools for kids that are struggling with fitting in, and there is nothing that educates our kids about being accepting caring individuals. Theres no social structure courses of any kind.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
There should be classes like that too.

If I handled a high school curriculum, I would include a class on how to handle interpersonal relations with difficult people ....... how to speak professionally ....... how to handle a job interview ........ and a few other similar classes. Some kids have a solid grip on these, but others struggle mightily. All could benefit from a few pointers though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Yes, but it's also the inexperience of these kids that hurts them. When there are tons of anti-bullying, it keeps the kids from learning how to deal with a bully or how to deal with adversity. When they're little, they get a trophy for showing up. When they're older, they have no skills to deal with their setback and take the only way out they can think of, by taking others with them.

+1

B
Legend
Legend
B
It's the way we are raising boys these days.

Schools are geared towards women. Go sit in class and listen.

Sorry, guys aren't geared that way.

Now, we drug the boys who act up or kick them out of school if they don't take the drugs.

That, and many of the other points made on this thread are why our sons are killing people.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
People like you are the real danger.

I sit here and tell you that I support gun ownership but because I bring up the word compromise, I'm the dangerous one?

You sir, are the type of person that should never own a gun..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So, if they both have the same goal, compromise (theres that dirty word again) is not only possible, it's the responsible thing to do.

If compromising means relenquishing some of the rights and freedoms we currently enjoy (especially if we feel the premise violates the constitution), the "responsible thing to do" would be to fight it with any and all resources available.

Taking away the right to own my weapon of choice to defend myself because some nutjob or criminal killed people, is a crime...and idiotic.

OK,, you want to protect yourself,, cool,,, What about my right to be safe?

You forget, you aren't the only person on this planet that has rights.. why are yours more important than mine.

Are you saying that your rights trump my rights?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
What has any politician ever done that suggests they will stop after a compromise is reached? Why should he never own a gun? How does me having the right to own whatever weapon I chose make you unsafe?

I'm grateful for Browns football.
F
Legend
Legend
F
What makes you think anything the government does will stop criminals from doing status qou??

All the regulations do is make it harder for the law abiding citizens to defend themselves.

From a year ago.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What has any politician ever done that suggests they will stop after a compromise is reached? Why should he never own a gun? How does me having the right to own whatever weapon I chose make you unsafe?

I will NOT answer any more questions on guns until someone explains to me why my rights are any less important than theirs..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

People like you are the real danger.

I sit here and tell you that I support gun ownership but because I bring up the word compromise, I'm the dangerous one?

You sir, are the type of person that should never own a gun..

So, you're saying that the 2nd Amendment should not exist? Thanks. I'll take the Founding Fathers view of things over yours or any politician today.

Now, go play with your cars... or should I say something stupid like: You sir, are the type of person that should never own a car - or even be allowed to drive one.

I'll keep my rights thank you very much but if there comes a time that I have to use mine to protect yours, you'll be on your own.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I will NOT answer any more questions on guns until someone explains to me why my rights are any less important than theirs..

What rights of yours are you saying are less important than the rights of anyone else?

You certainly have the right to own a gun too (as strange as that may sound to you) so that you can defend yourself and be safe from criminals or government oppression or from a wild boar attack or anything else that may put you into danger.

Your right to be 'safe'? Better stay in your house and not venture outside. You could get harmed by an imbecile driving a car. Incidentally, more people die from car accidents than from guns. I might even say that more people die from non-accidental car uses (that is, vehicular homicide) than by the use of guns for the purpose.

So, your right to own a car (not to drive it, that's a privilege and not a right) could be said to be more dangerous than my actual right to own and use a gun.

Truth be known, you're a wannabe tyrant without any real power to enforce your tyranny on anyone but yourself.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What rights of yours are you saying are less important than the rights of anyone else?

You certainly have the right to own a gun too (as strange as that may sound to you) so that you can defend yourself and be safe from criminals or government oppression or from a wild boar attack or anything else that may put you into danger.

Your right to be 'safe'? Better stay in your house and not venture outside. You could get harmed by an imbecile driving a car. Incidentally, more people die from car accidents than from guns. I might even say that more people die from non-accidental car uses (that is, vehicular homicide) than by the use of guns for the purpose.

So, your right to own a car (not to drive it, that's a privilege and not a right) could be said to be more dangerous than my actual right to own and use a gun.

Truth be known, you're a wannabe tyrant without any real power to enforce your tyranny on anyone but yourself.

You have to explain it better. You have the "right" to own and bear arms. This allows you the ability to protect yourself and feel safe. You have the ability to call the police or 911 (now) if you refuse or dont want to use your "right" to protect yourself.
Nowhere is someone else owning a gun infringing on any "right" you have. No where is given the right to supress a people by creed class or race through law or other means. By not owning a gun you have been provided an ability to use other means to try to accomplish what this country gave you as a "right" to do yourself.

You have the "right" to own land. If you decide not to own land should all land owners be taken their "right" to do the same because you chose no to? Big difference between "rights" and abilities.
Religion is the same way. You have the "right" to religious freedom. That means you cant ban one because it doesnt meet your view or you find it dangerous.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK,, you want to protect yourself,, cool,,, What about my right to be safe?

You forget, you aren't the only person on this planet that has rights.. why are yours more important than mine.

Are you saying that your rights trump my rights?

I'm not at all sure that you have legal right to be safe....but that's for another discussion. I'm under the assumption that the only right we have in that matter is the right to protect and defend ourselves and loved ones from harm. It is not only a right, it is a responsibility...... that some wish to relenquish to others. I choose to accept that responsibility. How is depriving me of a means to defend myself going to make you any safer?

What the government wants you to believe is that they are responsible for your safety and well being. The truth of the matter is that there is no legal requirement for any branch of government or law enforcement to assure your personal safety....and the USSC says so. That responsibility is ultimately yours. This is the reason I want the most effecient means legally available to defend myself and my family (and to fight tyranny ).

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
With gay marriage being a sound bet to be locked up and off the books in the nearer future (how soon of a timetable that will be- I can't quantify), how much of this attention towards gun-control- from our politicians' and controlling elites' perspectives, serves the purpose as being the next divisive wedge issue to distract from our broader scope of problems?

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... A Discussion On Guns...

Link Copied to Clipboard