All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Play GM for a minute or 2.
what 2 FAs would you bring in that make sense for the Browns future and
help increase W's in the win column?

Andy Levitre OG
The Buffalo Bills have had the AFCs most consistent running game over the past few years.
you don't have a successful run game without a OG or 2 that plays at a high level.The Bills are successful running to the left and its right behind Levitre.
He's started every game since being drafted in the 2nd RD of 2009.
Levitre is solid in pass protection as Fitzpatrick is usually one of the least sacked QBs in the AFC.
Levitre has been all the more impressive considering he's had LTs come and go.

Mike Wallace WR
The Browns can right a wrong here and acquire Mike Wallace. Man-genius
selected 2 WRs that have a total of 11 TDs combined instead of this speed demon from Ole Miss back back in 2009
Wallace will command some serious $$$$$ but to pair him with Josh Gordon
will impact the offense in many ways.
It will stop defenses from double teaming Gordon and vice versa.
It will prevent opposing defenses from moving the safety in the box as much and
give Richardson more running lanes.
the Browns don't have a WR that scares defenses other than Gordon.
Little, Benjamin doesn't put fear in secondaries.
plus signing Wallace away from the Steelers will weaken them.
he's not have a great year under Haley,but no one is happy with Haley.
He's averaging 17 YPC in his career.
has Greg Little done that?
Nope

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wrong side of the ball. If we bring some on in I would prefer a d - back / safety or Lbers

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Mike Wallace has, by many reports, been half-assing his way through this season. Plus, why pay a guy to be a starter when he'd have to compete for a job here against 2 up and coming WRs in Little and Gordon? Further, there are rumors that his route running leaves a lot to be desired. If we stay with the WCO, that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

No thanks.

I might look at Byrd out of Buffalo, or Golden out of San Francisco to fill the gaping hole at FS ....... and then perhaps the best pass rusher I can find. (Maybe Bennett out of Tampa Bay)

That's just a really quick review of the available players though. I feel that the defense is closer to being "done", so if I can find a couple of pieces to finish it into a great unit, that's what I'd do.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Jarius Bryd FS Bills

Michael Johnston DE Bengals

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Joe Flacco QB.....We also hurt the ravens

Deshon Goldson Safety

After Ravens Franchise Flacco we go after Anthony Spencer

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
The WCO offense hasn't worked in Cleveland for 2 years. whoever the next OC I think will want to attack more vertically.
I mean Cleveland's offense should be on Pawn Stars.
Mike Wallace can do more damage than Greg Little.
Little just hasn't impressed me.
111 catches 1308 yds and 5 TDS in 2 years time.
he averages a TD every 22 catches.
he's a better WR this year and blocker. But he's getting outplayed by guys drafted later.
Wallace didn't get paid and became a malcontent. His body language says he wants out of Pittsburgh. He would like nothing more than to play the Steelers twice a year.
I don't see Golden leaving San Fran. They are a playoff team year in year out.

Legend
Legend
1. Guard Our guard play has been awful. With Pinkston going down this year with a blood clot this position is our weakest position.
Andy Levitre, Buffalo Bills 27yo

Ranked #4 BR
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1075548-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-guards/page/30

9th best FA according to
http://nfltraderumors.co/top-50-2013-nfl-free-agents/

2. Safety
Dashon Goldson?

Last edited by Pdawg; 12/29/12 10:14 PM.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

The WCO offense hasn't worked in Cleveland for 2 years. whoever the next OC I think will want to attack more vertically.
I mean Cleveland's offense should be on Pawn Stars.
Mike Wallace can do more damage than Greg Little.
Little just hasn't impressed me.
111 catches 1308 yds and 5 TDS in 2 years time.
he averages a TD every 22 catches.
he's a better WR this year and blocker. But he's getting outplayed by guys drafted later.
Wallace didn't get paid and became a malcontent. His body language says he wants out of Pittsburgh. He would like nothing more than to play the Steelers twice a year.
I don't see Golden leaving San Fran. They are a playoff team year in year out.

I personally want no part of Wallace. I dont think hes faster then benji so we already have a guy who can do what he does on the roster. Run fast.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
That's ignoring the fact that his argument is Wallace vs Little.

Who are two completely different types of WR.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

That's ignoring the fact that his argument is Wallace vs Little.

Who are two completely different types of WR.

Little is destined for the slot reciever spot IMHO and I dont see Wallace as a slot guy. So Im talking about who will probably be filling the outside speed spot.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
I like our combo of Gordon Deep and Little over the middle.

Mix in some Benjamin Deep/Cross routes and some TE play and we are solid.

M
1st String
1st String
M
Let's raid Buffalo... Levitre and Byrd please! Byrd can be the playmaker and Ward the enforcer. Levitre gives us the opportunity to NOT use our 1st round pick on a guard.

My ideal off-season...

FA
Andy Levitre
Jairus Byrd

DRAFT
1st two picks are spent on a pass rusher and corner. Either pick Milliner then a pass rusher or Jones/Moore/Werner, then a corner.
Best Available for the rest of the draft.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
the problem is Little doesn't scare defenses. If Little catches the ball,he's very unlikely gonna take it for additional yards.
Benjamin has flashed this year,but hasn't the impact that a T.Y Hilton has had on the Colts offense.
the Browns don't have one TE that keeps a DC up late at night.
Watson is a relic and Cameron's 226 yards equals to about less than 20 yds a game.
the Browns offense needs some proven playmakers.
Not a wish and a prayer like Cameron.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Heres the thing with Little he is willing to make a catch over the middle. I have seen some real progress with him this season and leads me to believe he will continue to improve.
Hes in that magical 3rd year next year so Im pretty good with him.
Gordon as well. These guys look like the real deal to me and WR isnt the problem it was last year.
Could we use a proven vet at the position? perhaps but after the way this year went I dont feel that way as much as I did at the begining of the year.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Gordon can be in the A.J Green, Calvin Johnson conversation if he puts the work in.
He's physically gifted. He is a willing blocker downfield..just ask Ed Reed.
My issue with Gordon is that he doesn't bring it every play. I'm not so sure he is driven to be elite.
as far as Little goes,that "3 year window" is so yesterday. WR's are expected inside 2 years to perform.
Little is improving but like I said,does he scare defenses?
If the Browns signed Wallace,very few would be complaining around these parts.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I have three below, I'd take any combination of 2 of the three:

Michael Johnson, DE (Cin)
Dashon Goldson, FS (SF)
Brent Grimes, CB (Atl)

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wallace is a one trick pony. Run fast downfield. His routes suck and he is overrated to the max. The Steelers didn't pay him for a reason. I want no part of the diva he wants to be.

Get me a FS and a good corner first, and on offense a beast gaurd, and a frigging FB that can block and catch.

I also want to get rid of the WCO. Let's go vertical, I think Weeden would improve in a better designed offense. The routes and scheme we used these past two years is atrocious. The play designs are just bad IMO

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Gordon can be in the A.J Green, Calvin Johnson conversation if he puts the work in.
He's physically gifted. He is a willing blocker downfield..just ask Ed Reed.
My issue with Gordon is that he doesn't bring it every play. I'm not so sure he is driven to be elite.
as far as Little goes,that "3 year window" is so yesterday. WR's are expected inside 2 years to perform.
Little is improving but like I said,does he scare defenses?
If the Browns signed Wallace,very few would be complaining around these parts.

Wasnt that wallaces problem as well his first year? Taking plays off? Now while you dont think Little scares defense's I think he does indeed get lots of film study.

disagree with your "yesterday" stuff. People today are so used to getting what they want instantly they forget they have to work at it to improve. You want a better job fine go to college and earn a degree. That takes to long Ill do it online.
Everything has to be instant. The world doesnt work that way. Only the media does.

The Indians of the 90's are a classic example. You get a bunch of young players that have talent. You stick with them and after a few years you add peices and parts and ride the wave.

The Indians of the Dolons are our new Browns. New owners new money new people lots bad seasons ahead with a few good ones. Now everyone hates how that turned out and they are once again going to make a big 1 year push. Instant gradification for the fans but long term?

Haslam has made himself the next Modell. He quit his job to be only an owner of the Browns as his main sourse of income. Glad to hear his first act is letting good people go to be comfortable.

on a side note i love how the radio guy gets his head handed to him every week on the browns show by Golic. Just shows how much the talking jocks know.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Michael Johnson is a interesting player. He was a 1st RD talent who dropped in the draft. They said his motor didn't run all the time.
well he's turned out to be a darn good RDE who has became a matchup issue for Joe Thomas. Thats how good he is.
Johnson has those dimensions that the Browns don't have at DE. Tall and fast.
going by his numbers,he's getting better and better each year.
He's only 25 years old.
The thing is,how much $$$ do you wanna pay him?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Michael Johnson is a interesting player. He was a 1st RD talent who dropped in the draft. They said his motor didn't run all the time.
well he's turned out to be a darn good RDE who has became a matchup issue for Joe Thomas. Thats how good he is.
Johnson has those dimensions that the Browns don't have at DE. Tall and fast.
going by his numbers,he's getting better and better each year.
He's only 25 years old.
The thing is,how much $$$ do you wanna pay him?

Looking at some FA DEs from last year, it seems 5 years $35M is the going rate (Red Bryant (14.5 guaranteed) and Kamerion Wimbley (13.5 guaranteed) both signed deals at that rate). Mincey signed 4 year 20m, and of course Mario Williams signed the 100m deal. I think Bryant/Wimbley numbers are about right, increase them a little as an adjustment, so make it 5 years, 37.5M, 15M guaranteed.

Legend
Legend
Any combination of 2 of these guys would be welcome additions

DE Michael Johnson
DE Cliff Avril
DB Dashon Goldson
WR Greg Jennings
WR Danny Amendola
WR Dwayne Bowe
OG Andy Levitre

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I bring in NO high priced FA's.

NONE.

NOT ONE

Nobody.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Jarius Bryd FS Bills

Michael Johnston DE Bengals

This ^, maybe replace Johnson with WR Jennings and draft D.Moore if that was possible. Johnson is a very talented RDE but had his best season in a contract year, so there's some risk. Jennings would be safer

D
Legend
Legend
D
It looks like Baltimore will franchise Flacco, but if they don't I'd make an offer that wows him. I think he's a top 10 QB.

Since thats not gonna happen, I'd be good with Levitre to shore up LG. After that, I'd go either FS or TE. Byrd looks good at FS. Louis Delmas is available but may have injury issue. It seems to me that he had a couple very good years in Detroit, although not so much this year. There's a couple-three interesting TE's available. Martellus Bennett is a monster at 6-5, 265 who is actually getting some touches this year. Given the Giants' running game, I'd guess he's good blocker, but I'm no scout - its just supposition. Jared Cook, Titans TE, should get a lot of attention. IIRC, he made our secondary look silly last year, running away from our safeties in the open field for a TD. Baltimore's Dennis Pitta is an RFA and Ed Dickson is UFA. Its always good to weaken division opponents, while helping yourself.

In the draft I'd go CB, DE, LB, either FS or TE (depending on FA signing), and P.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

NONE.

NOT ONE

Nobody.

are you sure ?

Joe Thomas #73
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I also want no part of Wallace, I think we are good with #1 Gordon, #2 Little, #3 Benjamin, #4 MoMass or Norwood, #5 FA or draft, or Cooper.

#1 on my wish list is Andy Levitre OG from Buffalo, he will make our OL an elite OL, not only making Joe Thomas better but also making Alex Mack better. Then at RG one of these guys will the man Pinkston, Lauvao, R Miller, or a draft pick.

#2 is either Jarius Byrd or Dashon Goldson to play safety. This helps us out so much.

#3 Sam Shields CB from GB.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I do like Levitre & Byrd would be good at the right price. Amendola would be extremely interesting opposite Gordon.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
If I'm looking for a veteran WR, then I want a guy like Joe Jurevicius ..... a guy who can play the slot, knows all of the tricks, runs precise routes, and catches everything thrown his way on 3rd down.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I do like Levitre & Byrd would be good at the right price. Amendola would be extremely interesting opposite Gordon.

What's the right price? How much are we going to be forced to spend this year because of the last contract?

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

NONE.

NOT ONE

Nobody.

That seems like the best answer. How long can they keep this team together?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Run blocking LG
Corner
FS

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

NONE.

NOT ONE

Nobody.

Personally, I don't get your reasoning. There are way too many holes to fill on the team, and with no second round draft choice, we don't have a lot of options.

Assuming that we continue to let Weeden time develop, we can anticipate a better offense next year with the maturation of all the first year players. But the needs outweigh the picks for sure.

Immediate needs, CB, S.
Needs, FB, TE, RDE, OLB, P.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
First guy is Cliff Avril. Our big free agent splash player...Rucker...gives us very little pass-rush ability and decent but far-from-good run-stuffing ability. Parker is going to be 36 and its impossible to see the old guy who cut him due to age in Philly trying to re-sign him here when he's even older.

And after watching our featured running back today average...what was it...2.6 yards per carry?...it should be obvious to anyone that we need a mauler at guard. Find me the top run-blocking guard that fits our new scheme and give him a contract.

A good pass rush makes defensive backs look better (just ask mike Adams in Denver) and we can actually control games with a run-game if we're ever able to run at will.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Legend
Legend
B
Glad to see some guard love on the board.

I understand a nimble LT and center. You have to be able to move at those positions above and beyond being able to maul.

I think we have our RT.....Schwartz is looking to be the ticket there, but our guards are pitiful. A couple of weakies who can't move a thing.

Let's get some real guards on this team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

First guy is Cliff Avril. Our big free agent splash player...Rucker...gives us very little pass-rush ability and decent but far-from-good run-stuffing ability. Parker is going to be 36 and its impossible to see the old guy who cut him due to age in Philly trying to re-sign him here when he's even older.

Rucker was never a big splash. He was just a starting DE we signed. But I keep hearing from Detroit fans and people that Avril is very overrated. I haven't watched much of him, but I keep hearing huge liability vs the run and not that great of a pass rusher. Benefits from the scheme and players around him

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

I understand a nimble LT and center. You have to be able to move at those positions above and beyond being able to maul.

I think we have our RT.....Schwartz is looking to be the ticket there, but our guards are pitiful. A couple of weakies who can't move a thing.

Drafting Chance Warmack would be a great start IMO.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And while we're at it, let's line one up at FB.

Legend
Legend
You can only spend so many 1st round picks on the OL.

We currently have 1 first round picks, a high 2nd rounder, a 3rd, and a 5th/3rd. (Pinkston/Greco's original round)

Sooner or later we have to develop some Guards outside of 1st and 2nd round picks.

If we pass up a premiere pass rusher, or a shutdown CB, in favor of a Guard in the first round of the coming draft, I may drive to Berea and smack someone senseless.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think we have to worry about getting an OG at 6, but if we were to trade back to 15 its possible. Our OGs suck big time, and an upgrade is needed. However, I would prefer to get the upgrade via FA and use the draft to finish getting the building blocks for a top defense. This draft is heavy on top pass rushers and we need one badly.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
I still don't think that our Guards are as bad as some make them out to be.

We ran strong against the Steelers. Not counting the 35 yard scamper by Ventrone on 4th down, we still ran for 103 yards on 25 carries. That's just over 4 yards/carry. We aren't to the point where we can impose our will in 3rd and short ...... but we threw on 3rd and short way too often for my tastes. Look at how we developed down close to the goalline. By the last 6 games or so, handing to Richardson was almost automatic. That doesn't happen without solid Guard play. The OL also pass blocked for much of the year. There is talent and ability there ..... I just think that we need the right scheme.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Your the GM and you can bring in 2 "big ticket" FAs

Link Copied to Clipboard