Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Source

Andy Reid has reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, according to league sources. The contract is now being reviewed by attorneys and is expected to be finalized Friday.

Reid's deal comes shortly after the Chiefs and general manager Scott Pioli mutually agreed to part ways after four seasons.

The Chiefs held a meeting with the coaching staff Friday morning, presumably to talk about Kansas City's job search and ongoing talks with Reid, according to sources.

Reid spent 1999-2012 as Philadelphia's coach, leading the Eagles to the playoffs nine times during that period. He won 130 regular-season games and 10 playoff games. The Chiefs, meanwhile, had 98 wins, three postseason appearances and no postseason wins under five different head coaches, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Reid Was Eagles' Best
Since Andy Reid's arrival in Philadelphia in 1999 the Eagles have 130 regular-season wins, the NFL's sixth-highest total in that span. Philadelphia also have 10 postseason wins, third-most since 1999, and six division titles, also third-most, under their former coach.

Most Wins By Eagles Coach
Coach W-L
Andy Reid 130-93-1
Greasy Neale 63-43-5
Dick Vermeil 54-47
Buddy Ryan 43-35-1
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Pioli, 47, joined the Chiefs in 2009 after nine seasons with the Patriots, where he helped to build New England's dynasty. But he failed to turn around the Chiefs, who were 23-39 in his four seasons, including a woeful 2-14 in 2012 under Romeo Crennel, who was hired to replace Todd Haley during the 2011 season. Crennel was fired Monday.

"I would like to thank Norma, Clark and the Hunt family for the opportunity that they gave me four years ago," Pioli said. "I'd also like to thank the players, coaches, scouts and countless other employees, throughout the organization and at Arrowhead Stadium that have worked so hard during my time here. I would also like to genuinely thank Chiefs fans.

"The bottom line is that I did not accomplish all of what I set out to do. To the Hunt family  to the great fans of the Kansas City Chiefs  to the players, all employees and alumni, I truly apologize for not getting the job done."

The Chiefs' season was marred by a tragic murder-suicide -- linebacker Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, and then took his own life in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium after thanking Pioli and Crennel for everything they had done for him.

One of Pioli's first significant moves in 2009 was trading for quarterback Matt Cassel, who'd been impressive as a fill-in for injured Patriots starter. Pioli proceeded to sign Cassel to a six-year, $63 million deal. Cassel didn't live up to his contract in Kansas City, however, and lost his starting job to Brady Quinn in 2012.

"After several productive conversations, we made the difficult decision to part ways with Scott Pioli and allow him to pursue other opportunities," Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said in a statement. "Scott has been an invaluable member of the Chiefs family since joining us in 2009, and we sincerely appreciate his tremendous contributions over the last four years.

"I know that this was a difficult decision for Scott as well. He has a great deal of appreciation for the history of this franchise, for our players, coaches and employees, and especially our great fans."

The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since 1993. This season was Kansas City's fifth losing season in six years.

Information from ESPN NFL reporter Ed Werder and ESPN Stats & Information was used in this report.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Legend
Legend
Here is Romeo's old clothes, Now get to work!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Newsflash!

Chokey sells KC a bill of goods landing a multi-million dollar gig without mentioning that his 130-93-1 is padded by wins against sub .500 teams. His record since '99 against plus .500 teams? 32-50. The Chokey Reid era should have ended when he was booted out of Philly. He'll muster wins in that division but will continually fall short of Denver & SD (if they can get their act together). Playoff contention if they somehow make it with a weak schedule and a sorry division? One & done. Sorry KC. You lose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
one bullet dodged

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Reid's deal comes shortly after the Chiefs and general manager Scott Pioli mutually agreed to part ways after four seasons.

Makes one wonder if the conversation went like this:

Clark Hunt: "Scott, are you willing to cede some of your personnel power over to Reid?"

Pioli: "Go screw yourself, Clark."

"The Kansas City Chiefs and General Manager Scott Pioli have mutually agreed to part ways.

In completely unrelated news, the Kansas City Chiefs have announced the hiring of Andy Reid."

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What do you put the odds at that we pretty much do a straight up GM swap with the chiefs?

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What do you put the odds at that we pretty much do a straight up GM swap with the chiefs?

won't be the first time we got screwed on a trade

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
not surprising - i'll be interested to see if that's where Heckert goes... I kind of doubt it since he left Reid because he wanted more control of the roster.

<><

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Zero.

Pioli will still view himself as a true GM-type who calls the shots. In a structure where the coach will have greater input, Pioli won't have the kind of control he wants. That appears to be exactly why Pioli is out and Reid is in.

Besides, I refuse to believe that we'd be dumb enough to bring in the GM who thought it was a great idea to take Romeo Crennel and make him the HC, and import so many failed Browns players to his roster.

Banner and Haslam won't bring in an old dog like Pioli. They'll want a young'in who can grow with the franchise.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've been a KC fan forever. (Was friendly with the Len Dawson family)

I believe KC's problem was our problem. Zero consistency, Zero coach credibility.

Not overexcited but Reid should do ok.

Still, the Brownies are my concern!!!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Now all the old Bob LaMonte guys will have a place to go once they leave Cleveland.

Shurmur, Childress, Haskell, Whipple, Cromwell, Rhodes...come on down!

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Now all the old Bob LaMonte guys will have a place to go once they leave Cleveland.

Shurmur, Childress, Haskell, Whipple, Cromwell, Rhodes...come on down!

Will that make them the Kansas City Briefs?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Zero.

Pioli will still view himself as a true GM-type who calls the shots. In a structure where the coach will have greater input, Pioli won't have the kind of control he wants. That appears to be exactly why Pioli is out and Reid is in.

Besides, I refuse to believe that we'd be dumb enough to bring in the GM who thought it was a great idea to take Romeo Crennel and make him the HC, and import so many failed Browns players to his roster.

Banner and Haslam won't bring in an old dog like Pioli. They'll want a young'in who can grow with the franchise.

But they are considering a conniving turd like Lombardi? If it's just a stuffed shirt they want for a few measly mil/year I'd be willing to relocate.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
I was actually picturing Ried in all red.

*shudders*

Good thing KC gear comes in black.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

This could be a landing spot for Weeden if Heckert gets hired. Hopefully we get a mid round pick for him.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

JC

This could be a landing spot for Weeden if Heckert gets hired. Hopefully we get a mid round pick for him.

If we DO end up trading Weeden, we'll get a REAL and TRUE accurate reading on his actual value.

Tebow's value was never a 1st round pick. Just because some team was dumb enough to give that up for him doesn't mean he was worth it.

If we trade Weeds, whatever a team gives up will be more in-line with what his actual value would be, at least in terms of NFL perception.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

JC

If we DO end up trading Weeden, we'll get a REAL and TRUE accurate reading on his actual value.

Tebow's value was never a 1st round pick. Just because some team was dumb enough to give that up for him doesn't mean he was worth it.

If we trade Weeds, whatever a team gives up will be more in-line with what his actual value would be, at least in terms of NFL perception.

I think that the Browns could expect at least a 2nd from KC for Weeden.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
The 33rd pick in the draft? They'd be as dumb as we were.

If they are going to give up a pick that high, I'd go after the proven guy in Smith, not the unproven 30-year old in Weeden.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The 33rd pick in the draft? They'd be as dumb as we were.

If they are going to give up a pick that high, I'd go after the proven guy in Smith, not the unproven 30-year old in Weeden.

If Heckert is honest with himself and supported the selection of Brandon Weeden with the Browns selection at #22 last year, then surrendering the #33 (or #34) pick to the Browns for his services should be worth it to the folks in KC.

Of course, I don't expect that they really have that much faith in Weeden (and probably never did) and were only here to earn a paycheck and thought that they could milk it for as long as they could from Randy Lerner.

If that's true, then the ownership in KC should be concerned if Heckert is hired there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
KC did give Reid full control. He might not even hire a GM.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Maybe you're right. We'll find out.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

If this is true, KC will continue to be a disaster.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

JC

That's not true.
If we decide to trade Weeden,every team will know he doesn't fit in Kelly'''s O and will low ball the Browns.Who will accept a low ball offer,not because that's he's true value but because they really have nothing to lose.
Oh,and with who we'll have in the FO,I expect a royal screwing on all deals.

Last edited by BCbrownie; 01/04/13 10:18 PM.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
I agree... More than a 3rd for weeden is a pipe dream imo.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Oh,and with who we'll have in the FO,I expect a royal screwing on all deals.

All kidding aside, Banner is a bad-ass in that regard. Remember what they got in the Kevin Kolb deal...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And IMO, KC is pretty darned desperate at the QB spot!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

So, you're admitting that drafting him in the 1st round was a foolish decision? And if his true value is as a 3rd rounder, then is he really any better than Colt McCoy? And, then, considering the age of the two, perhaps drafting Weeden in the 1st round wasn't just a foolish decision, but a horrific one. It ended up costing Holmgren, Heckert and Shurmur their jobs.

After thinking about it, it was probably the right thing to do to get those fools out of town and the team sold to someone that actually cares what happens to the Browns.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I wasn't referring to Banner,or even I suspect Haslam,but to Kelly and Lombardi

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I wasn't referring to Banner,or even I suspect Haslam,but to Kelly and Lombardi

Based on what we now know about the system Banner is putting in place, I'm less concerned about Dumbardi or Kelly when it comes to trades.

Remember, Banner is still the guy in charge of that.

The "GM" position is just going to be some version of a college scouting chief or personnel gopher, not an actual shot-caller. Kelly will have some say in who he wants but probably not on how to acquire them.

Whatever people may say about Banner, he's made some shrewd moves as the chief negotiator with the Eagles.

Legend
Legend
We got a 6th round pick for Brady Quinn.

Weeden was taken at the same spot ..... although he has shown more than Quinn ever did.

QBs are rarely traded for anything approaching their draft value. Some lower round guys are traded for higher value, and some higher round guys are traded for lesser value. Plus it depends on the market.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So, you're admitting that drafting him in the 1st round was a foolish decision? And if his true value is as a 3rd rounder, then is he really any better than Colt McCoy? And, then, considering the age of the two, perhaps drafting Weeden in the 1st round wasn't just a foolish decision, but a horrific one. It ended up costing Holmgren, Heckert and Shurmur their jobs.

After thinking about it, it was probably the right thing to do to get those fools out of town and the team sold to someone that actually cares what happens to the Browns.

Why do you say "admitting?" Weeden wasn't even on my top 150 list for the browns to draft because I thought he was a bad fit.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Why do you say "admitting?" Weeden wasn't even on my top 150 list for the browns to draft because I thought he was a bad fit.

Because I'm only speaking about what you would have to say about the previous regime (namely Holmgren, Heckert and Shurmur) were fools for drafting him. If I recall, you were among those calling for replacing McCoy. Well, the Browns did that last year and it was a foolish choice.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Because I'm only speaking about what you would have to say about the previous regime (namely Holmgren, Heckert and Shurmur) were fools for drafting him. If I recall, you were among those calling for replacing McCoy. Well, the Browns did that last year and it was a foolish choice.

I was for getting luck or griffin, but if we couldn't then hardcore upgrading receivers and sticking with McCoy. That's why I didn't have another qb on my list after 1 and 2 until number 73.

Legend
Legend

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
So, you were for replacing McCoy.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Also, you suggested that we possibly take Weeden in the 2nd or 3rd round. Admittedly, that was your 2nd choice.

In that regard, I stand corrected. My apologies on that score. What were your views after the draft?

Legend
Legend
I'm for upgrading our team whenever possible. With Luck and Griffin, I saw what I thought was a clear upgrade. After that, I didn't see a clear immediate upgrade to our team that couldn't be a bigger clear upgrade at another position. A QB is not a sacred cow to me, nor is any other position. The draft is about getting better.

Here's the quoted post i linked so it is clear:

Quote:

With Options 1 and 2 now gone, here's my remaining order of preference for acquiring QBs:

3. Acquire none, start McCoy
4. Take a late-round flyer if there's someone you think you can develop. (Wilson, Coleman, Davis)
5. Sign Flynn
6. Draft Osweiler in the third or fourth
7. Draft Weeden in the second or third
8. Draft Tannehill in the first

I want us to make a significant upgrade in talent at QB. The only two long-term options for that this year IMO are gone. If we draft a QB high or sign Flynn, they're going to at least get this year and next year. Even Jacksonville hasn't made significant overtures towards a QB, and they had one of the worst rookie 1st round QBs in recent memory. At least if we sign Flynn we aren't also burning draft assets on him.

With options 3 and 4, if McCoy stinks again, we can try to get a talented QB in next year's draft. I'll be keeping my eye on Matt Barkley, Keith Price, Bryn Renner, Casey Pachall, Tyler Wilson, Connor Shaw, Aaron Murray, and Tyler Bray this year.

Weeden in the second or third was my seventh choice, not second... maybe more accurately was my second most-terrible option. I thought i made it pretty clear in that post.

As far as my thoughts after the draft... I was one of the sky is falling crowd once we drafted weeden. i also thought trading up for richardson was a bad move and felt hoodwinked by heckert who said they weren't trading up and would get a good player at 4 no matter what.

Last edited by clevesteve; 01/05/13 12:02 AM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'm for upgrading our team whenever possible. With Luck and Griffin, I saw what I thought was a clear upgrade. After that, I didn't see a clear immediate upgrade to our team that couldn't be a bigger clear upgrade at another position. A QB is not a sacred cow to me, nor is any other position. The draft is about getting better.

Here's the quoted post i linked so it is clear:

Quote:

With Options 1 and 2 now gone, here's my remaining order of preference for acquiring QBs:

3. Acquire none, start McCoy
4. Take a late-round flyer if there's someone you think you can develop. (Wilson, Coleman, Davis)
5. Sign Flynn
6. Draft Osweiler in the third or fourth
7. Draft Weeden in the second or third
8. Draft Tannehill in the first

I want us to make a significant upgrade in talent at QB. The only two long-term options for that this year IMO are gone. If we draft a QB high or sign Flynn, they're going to at least get this year and next year. Even Jacksonville hasn't made significant overtures towards a QB, and they had one of the worst rookie 1st round QBs in recent memory. At least if we sign Flynn we aren't also burning draft assets on him.

With options 3 and 4, if McCoy stinks again, we can try to get a talented QB in next year's draft. I'll be keeping my eye on Matt Barkley, Keith Price, Bryn Renner, Casey Pachall, Tyler Wilson, Connor Shaw, Aaron Murray, and Tyler Bray this year.

Weeden in the second or third was my seventh choice, not second... maybe more accurately was my second most-terrible option. I thought i made it pretty clear in that post.

As far as my thoughts after the draft... I was one of the sky is falling crowd once we drafted weeden. i also thought trading up for richardson was a bad move and felt hoodwinked by heckert who said they weren't trading up and would get a good player at 4 no matter what.

My apologies then. I didn't think that there was anyone that agreed with my assessment, especially here. I must have missed nearly all your posts.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I was actually picturing Ried in all red.

*shudders*

Good thing KC gear comes in black.

Reid will look like an atomic fireball candy with a mustache

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The "GM" position is just going to be some version of a college scouting chief or personnel gopher, not an actual shot-caller. Kelly will have some say in who he wants but probably not on how to acquire them.

Whatever people may say about Banner, he's made some shrewd moves as the chief negotiator with the Eagles.

So I take that you're "ok" with Banner being the shot caller now? Yes?

If we really hire Kelly and "look" for an more experienced "personnel" type guy, that'd be all left needed to know about Banner-Heckert, as it'd be a personal firing for sure then, as Heckert IS the best/experienced personnel guy on the market right now. Why not keep Heckert around and still negotiate with the "big name HCs" guaranteeing them to fire Heckert if they come on board? Now, we have the "inexperienced HC, left scrambling for an experienced personnel type" scenario...well played.

My money still is on Banner being power hungry and wanted to be that GM type all along. Pretty much every word and move has hinted that way, but you actually seem to be on board with that, for whatever reasons

1st time owner, 1st time shot caller, 1st time HC that never coached in the NFL at any level ro nay other system than the gimmick stuff he ran in College....Yeah, I'm incredibly optimistic for 2013, lol

Good god, say it ain't so: http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=19&post_id=10401

By Will Burge

It looks as though owner Jimmy Haslam III, C.E.O. Joe Banner, and the Browns organization have found their next head coach and his name is Chip Kelly. The next big question to be answered, however, is who will be the quarterback?

A source in the Browns’ organization told ESPN Cleveland that just over a week ago Banner told backup quarterback Colt McCoy he is “in the next head coach’s plans.”

Adam Caplan of Sirius/XM NFL Radio reported earlier tonight that Michael Lombardi, who is rumored to be the next GM, has already been angling for the Browns in free agency. If you combine both of these reports it is pretty obvious that the Kelly/Lombardi regime did not just materialize in the last 24 hours.

As far as Brandon Weeden, who started all but one game for the Browns last season, he may end up the odd man out. Lombardi said the drafting of Brandon Weeden with the #22 pick was a panicked disaster last offseason. He also said on a Cleveland radio station in September that despite the fact that Colt McCoy gives the team a better chance to win, Weeden was going to finish out the season as the starter.

The one thing that is for sure, everyone else on the offense is excited about the prospects of Chip Kelly as the next head coach. I texted with multiple players on the offense after the news broke and each one to a man was ecstatic. One player, who is currently up for free agency, even went as far as to say they hope the Browns bring them back into this system next season.

Who will be the next quarterback? Can Chip Kelly integrate his offense into the NFL? How will the current Browns’ roster fit into Kelly’s offensive system? These questions will be answered in the coming weeks and months, but for now they will be masked by excitement and jubilation. Only time will tell if this move will have a different result than the last five head coaching hires since 1999.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelly HC, Lombardi GM, Banner shot caller and Colt at QB...talk about a nightmare. I might watch Browns games just for laughs when this actually happens. This would be comedy gold and I'd rather laugh my butt off than getting angry over this stupidness

B
Legend
Legend
B
As much as I disliked colt in our old O, if Kelly comes on board I can see how he fits again.

He still won't be able to throw it over 20 yards with any accuracy, but I can see him being the bridge to whoever we finally settle on as a Kelly type of QB....which may be a season or two until we finally land him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Andy Reid and KC agree to deal

Link Copied to Clipboard