Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
B
Can somebody PLEASE explain to this first time rookie poster why RG III remained on the field today after he initially tweaked his knee? I absolutely hated seeing the way his knee buckled in the 4th quarter. (Call me a wuss, but I howled in pain as I watched the replay.) They were shown ad nauseum, but I could only watch that mess once, a la, Joe Theisman and his ankle. Whatsmattah you, Washington?...

#gmstrong
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Why he was in that's a question only Shanahan can answer, you could tell he wasn't himself by halftime, Cousins should have come out at half when they still had a lead and maybe they could've held it.

Last edited by BrownsFan31; 01/07/13 01:10 AM.
Legend
Legend
Welcome to that boards, k9. Stick around.... you're in a good pack here.

(Love the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding tie-in, btw...)

I wish I had an explanation. I suppose Shanny thought that 2/3 of an RG3 gave them a better chance that 100% of a Kirk Cousins. After all, they did spend the entire week game-planning to have #10 under center.

This one will be second-guessed all offseason... and for good reason. If The Griff had pulled out a win, there would be no controversy at all. Let the "Monday-Morning Armchair Coaching" begin.....

p.s. They're already beating it to death on NFLNetwork.....

p.p.s. ...this thread will probably get moved to the "Post-season Forum," Rook.... just wanted to give you a 'heads up,' in case you came back tomorrow, and couldn't find your stuff.... yup- there's a "learning curve"-

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Why he was in that's a question only Shanahan can answer, you could tell he wasn't himself by halftime, Cousins should have come out at half when they still had a lead and maybe they could've held it.

why am I seeing so many new posters?
Anyway on to your queston. RG3 said himself he took himself out of the game.
You dance with the one that brought you until they say they cant dance anymore.

This will be taken outta context many times you need to read it to understand it.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Quote:

This will be taken outta context many times you need to read it to understand it.

I used to post on these boards all the time back when it was the forum directly linked to clevelandbrowns.com, then when they changed to their current board type I quit posting all together, decided to google Browns forums yesterday and to my surprise I find Dawg Talk like it was back in the day.

Missed this place and somehow never got the memo about it lol.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Cool welcome back home. I meant no disrespect.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Cool welcome back home. I meant no disrespect.

Thanks! None taken lol

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's that "Browns Fever" that's catching worldwide, Nick.

Haven't you heard? Folks wanna get on that Halsam/Banner/Lombardi/[insert name of inexperienced 4th (!) Rookie HC here] express, before it rolls out of the station.

I mean, you don't want to be left at the station when this shiny new train derails 2.3 years from now- now do you?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Actually i was wondering if it was because of the excitment about Kelly.
I know hes gone but I have noticed a boost and perhaps Im way off purp would be able to tell us but something was brewing here for a short time. Back to buisness as usual I guess.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I used to post on these boards all the time back when it was the forum directly linked to clevelandbrowns.com, then when they changed to their current board type I quit posting all together, decided to google Browns forums yesterday and to my surprise I find Dawg Talk like it was back in the day.

Dawg.... welcome "home." Are you posting under the same name as you did back in "the good ol' days?"

I missed the launch, too- and only found it because I reached out to an anonymous poster who had dual citizenship at the time. I came here, and never looked back. (The official site was a cesspool after "The Change"...)

I still owe that anonymous poster a beer, for steering me to this site.

Anyways.... welcome to all noobz (including those who have lurked for years.... hehehe-)

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dawg.... welcome "home." Are you posting under the same name as you did back in "the good ol' days?"

I missed the launch, too- and only found it because I reached out to an anonymous poster who had dual citizenship at the time. I came here, and never looked back. (The official site was a cesspool after "The Change"...)

Anyways.... welcome to all noobz (including those who have lurked for years.... hehehe-)

Yeah I decided to stick with BrownsFan31 (registered last time right around the time we picked William Green, so 2002 I guess it was, name changed to FrostDawg31 towards the end of the old Dawg Talk run as a tribute to our awesome punter Derrick Frost ) and I posted pretty actively up until it switched and hated it so I gave up.

Needless to say stumbling across this place yesterday was an awesome discovery and I'm glad to be back.

William Green lives on through my screenname

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

That anonymous poster owes you a beer for being the moral compass around here...

...so that bozo's like me can spout off at the mouth

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually i was wondering if it was because of the excitment about Kelly.
I know hes gone but I have noticed a boost and perhaps Im way off purp would be able to tell us but something was brewing here for a short time. Back to buisness as usual I guess.

Dawg.... this is the Browns.

Have you learned nothing about us?

Just joking, with some typical Browns "gallows humor"...

Seriously, tho- it's a sad (...and a very telling) state of affairs when a team's off-season moves garner far more fan interest than the team's reg season exploits. This trend MUST get turned around.

This board is a microcosm of the Browns fan base.... and the talk is always liveliest in the months during regime changes and draft build-up. These people are so starved for positive stimulus that talk of new FO's, HC's and draft possibilities gets more traffic than "Gameday" or "Post-Game Thoughts" threads. That should tell you something.

I call it "Beaten Dawg Syndrome".... we've been abused so much by our owners (and their bad decisions), that any success feels somehow- wrong.

@ k9: Sorry to hijack this thread in a new direction. I'll attempt to get it back on-track:

Dawgs: You're Shanny on the sidelines. You "put RG3 to The Question". He says, "Coach... I'm good to go..." You have the latest feeds from your staff, the booth, etc. Do you let him go back, or do you make the personnel change?

Discuss.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

name changed to FrostDawg31 towards the end of the old Dawg Talk run as a tribute to our awesome punter Derrick Frost

Frosty!!! I DO remember you! "Old Home Week," indeed! Glad to see you back with us!

Quote:

That anonymous poster owes you a beer for being the moral compass around here...

You give me too waaaay too much credit, Dawg. I only calls'em as I sees'em... just like you and each one of Our Pack. If we owe each other some brews, I only hope that someone else at our table is cognizant enough (...at the end of the night) to call us each a cab...

Hmmmm- I guess I need to be a bit more subtle, when giving credit to "anonymous" posters....

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Quote:

name changed to FrostDawg31 towards the end of the old Dawg Talk run as a tribute to our awesome punter Derrick Frost

Frosty!!! I DO remember you! "Old Home Week," indeed! Glad to see you back with us!

Quote:

You give me too waaaay too much credit, Dawg. I only calls'em as I sees'em... just like you and each one of Our Pack. If we owe each other some brews, I only hope that someone else at our table is cognizant enough (...at the end of the night) to call us each a cab...

Hmmmm- I guess I need to be a bit more subtle, when giving credit to "anonymous" posters....

Might need to name change to Frost again then lol, BrownsFan31 is a bit on the generic side.

Speaking of which how do I go about doing that? I see on my profile it has a spot to change display name but said it requires admin approval.

Last edited by BrownsFan31; 01/07/13 03:10 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Can somebody PLEASE explain to this first time rookie poster why RG III remained on the field today after he initially tweaked his knee? I absolutely hated seeing the way his knee buckled in the 4th quarter. (Call me a wuss, but I howled in pain as I watched the replay.) They were shown ad nauseum, but I could only watch that mess once, a la, Joe Theisman and his ankle. Whatsmattah you, Washington?...

Shanahan needed the win and his QB told him he was OK. I have to correct history, though. Theisman broke his femur, not his ankle. Hearing that bone snap was worse than seeing the replays for me.

To repeat myself on the RGIII issue, no player is worth 3 first round picks!!!! That is the best example of why.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
you can put in a change, and the admin have to approve it. You will still have to log in under your original screen-name. That's what I did when i was racer0175.

Or you could just create a new name since you have only a few posts, and go from there.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
Legend
Legend
RGIII said he could play.. Shanahan felt he gave them the best chance to win... those are the only 2 things you need to know.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
link

LANDOVER, Md. – Robert Griffin III couldn't run, at least not in any way resembling his usual sprints through the line and into open turf. Robert Griffin III couldn't throw, at least not the deep darts that move the chains and keep defenses honest.

Robert Griffin III couldn't lead the Washington Redskins' offense, not after his knee buckled in the first quarter of this NFC wild-card game against Seattle. A couple plays later Washington took a two-touchdown lead but the deal was done. It would gain just 41 yards over the next two and a half futile quarters with Griffin as quarterback, all but assuring Seattle's 24-14 victory.

Robert Griffin III couldn't do much of anything Sunday except lie, which is what he's been trained to do in situations like this.

Lie to himself that he can still deliver like no backup could. Lie to his coach that this was nothing big. Lie to the doctors who tried to assess him in the swirl of a playoff sideline.

So Robert Griffin III lied, which is to be excused because this is a sport that rewards toughness in the face of common sense, a culture that celebrates the warrior who is willing to leave everything on the field, a business that believes such lies are part of the road to greatness.

"I'm the quarterback, it doesn't matter what percentage I am," Griffin reasoned later. "If you can play, you play."

First off, that's a cliché. Second, he couldn't play. Not well enough to win the game anyway.

And with each snap there was the risk of not just further injuring that valuable knee, but of being injured in a different way because he was no longer capable of defending himself by avoiding a hit in the pocket or scrambling away from a linebacker.

"I did put myself at more risk being out there," Griffin said.
At least that was the truth, although he quickly reverted into more clichés.

"But every time you step on the football field between those lines you're putting your life, your career [and] every single ligament in your body in jeopardy," RG3 said.

Of course you can be injured at any moment. You can really get injured at any moment though when you can no longer move around and avoid hits.

It was all a lie and that's why rookie quarterbacks aren't supposed to make the call. Coaches are.

Griffin didn't have a coach Sunday.

He had Mike Shanahan, who looked at this mess, looked at each hapless Redskins drive, looked at every painful RG3 step, looked at every awkward, overthrown pass, and instead bought Griffin's weak arguments and then closed his eyes and lied to himself that it would all turn out OK.

Except it didn't. Not on the scoreboard. And not in Griffin's knee, which was eventually done in when he wasn't even capable of bending over and scooping up an errant snap in the fourth quarter. Instead a world-class athlete awkwardly reached until his right knee hyper-extended underneath him.

He wound up in a heap on the turf, clutching that knee while Seattle recovered a gift fumble that led to an easy, game-clinching field goal.

It was the final proof that he never should've been out there. And finally, too late, his day was done.

"If you don't pull him out then, you should get fired," Shanahan said.

Washington was in desperate need of such common sense long before that. It was desperate for Shanahan to pat this eager-to-please wunderkind on the back, show him the bench and insert the very capable backup, Kirk Cousins.

Not just for the future of the franchise, although that would be enough. The Redskins needed it for the present opportunity to win Sunday's game.

Instead it got silly discussions.

"I talked to Robert and he said to me, 'Coach, there's a difference between being injured and being hurt,' " Shanahan relayed later. "He said, 'I can guarantee I'm hurt right now but give me the chance to win this football game because I guarantee I'm not injured.'

"That," Shanahan said, "was enough for me."

That, Shanahan should've realized, was just a young player repeating another baseless cliché he probably picked up from a grainy NFL Films voiceover set to soaring symphonic music.

Shanahan acknowledged later that, "I'll probably second-guess myself" and for that he deserves a measure of credit. He wasn't defiant about blowing it on Sunday.

Still, this wasn't some snap decision in the heat of the moment. This played out over hours, with a halftime even built in the middle. There were five consecutive series of futility for a 60-year-old coach to start trusting his own eyes rather buying the b.s. of a 22-year-old.

"He said to me, 'Trust me, I want to be in there and I deserve to be in there,'" Shanahan said. "And I couldn't disagree with him."

Shanahan is paid to disagree with him. That's his job.
At one point in the fourth quarter Shanahan decided he wanted to test if RG3 could still run, calling for a simple QB keeper. It was, on paper, effective, a 9-yard gain to the left. To see the play, however, was to see one of the greatest rushing machines in the league hobble to the outside, his knee practically wobbling on each step. It was strong blocking and the element of surprise that made it work.

"I asked him about it at that time," Shanahan said. "He said, 'Coach, I could've run faster. Nobody was there. I got [9] yards. That's not too bad. I promise if I have to do it again I could go faster."

"He gave me the right answer."

That's only because Shanahan was asking the wrong question. Which is to say he wasn't asking any questions at all.

On and on Shanahan's media conference went. The coach even unwittingly explained why he kept hearing the same answers from Griffin, when he took time to praise the very heart and fight of this prodigy and declared that a player who refuses to leave a game is "the type of player that you want." It's a circle of nonsense.

Shanahan was already hit with accusations Sunday from Dr. James Andrews, the famed sports surgeon, about Griffin's original injury against Baltimore on Dec. 9. Shanahan previously claimed that he put RG3 back in that game only because Andrews cleared the player. Andrews disputed that, saying the quarterback wouldn't even let the doctor examine him and he never blessed the return.

"It wasn't our opinion," Andrews told USA Today. "We didn't even get to touch him or talk to him. Scared the hell out of me."

Shanahan seemed to blame it all on miscommunication but it spoke to a sideline in disarray. The player is brushing off doctors? The coach is inventing conversations to the media? Who exactly is in charge around here?

As for the extent of Griffin's latest injury, who knows at this point? An MRI is scheduled Monday. At first Griffin said it didn't feel any worse than the December injury. Then after the game, as things stiffened, he admitted it might be worse.
"I don't know how bad it is," he said.

He didn't know after the game. He didn't know in the game. He isn't supposed to know. He is, as the football system taught him well, supposed to lie to his coach and prove to his teammates that he's indestructible and invincible.

So Robert Griffin III did his job Sunday, only to have Mike Shanahan not do his.

And now Washington can only hope a playoff loss was the worst thing that happened because of it.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
If RGIII goes to the bench and basically takes himself out and sits over there with a jacket over his head and the Redskins lose he gets the LT treatment of "Why wasn't he on the field, everybody is a little banged up. He quit on his team."... either way it went, if the Skins lose, the decision would be questioned...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Yup....Cutler was removed from the NFC Championship game at halftime with a "gimpy knee" and didn't hear the end of it (questions of his toughness still linger in Chicago due to this event).

The only way this works.....if you get carried off the field after you sustain your injury. You can't just end an offensive series, walk off the field with a minor limp and then sit out the rest of the game.

Shanny was in a no-win situation (unless the Skins win the game). If he put in Cousin's in the 2nd quarter and then lost, the media would be questioning the timing, asking why he didn't put RG3 back in or wondering if RG3 was still healty enough to play.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I don't know how much it played a part in his knee buckling.. but the Skins should be ashamed of themselves for the condition of that field.. there has been one game there since early December and that's the best condition they could get the field in? It was awful.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
They should be ashamed of their field and their handling of their never-done-before rookie all-everything QB.

He's busted up and can't even run, let alone sprint, and it's so bad that just trying to reach for a football makes it collapse...and he's still out there playing? Seriously?!

There's no doubt Shanahan blew it. I don't care what RG3 says.

PFT is suggesting he's got at least two partial ligament tears, and has even used the term "exploratory surgery."

At this point it IS hyperbole, but there's a chance RG3 will never be the same because Shanahan ignored the advice of his doctor and left RG3 out there.

I'm showing my age here, but watching his knee collapse like that without any stress or pressure at all reminded me of when Tony Dorsett went to the Broncos and his knee just crumpled while doing nothing more than running...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Dawg... that's just (freakkin') COLD, yo-

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

They should be ashamed of their field and their handling of their never-done-before rookie all-everything QB.

He's busted up and can't even run, let alone sprint, and it's so bad that just trying to reach for a football makes it collapse...and he's still out there playing? Seriously?!

There's no doubt Shanahan blew it. I don't care what RG3 says.

PFT is suggesting he's got at least two partial ligament tears, and has even used the term "exploratory surgery."

At this point it IS hyperbole, but there's a chance RG3 will never be the same because Shanahan ignored the advice of his doctor and left RG3 out there.

I'm showing my age here, but watching his knee collapse like that without any stress or pressure at all reminded me of when Tony Dorsett went to the Broncos and his knee just crumpled while doing nothing more than running...

I agree with you on how they handled it. One thing RG3 has going for him is that he has a very accurate arm.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

To repeat myself on the RGIII issue, no player is worth 3 first round picks!!!! That is the best example of why.

I was one who was glad we didn't trade up for RGIII. We either put him in a system that that doesn't take advantage of his skill set (like Shurmur would have done) or we maximize his talent and put him in a system that puts him at increased risk for injury. Considering that he is a player who has had multiple leg injuries already I didn't think it was worth the risk.

I hope his knee is okay but man, he may need surgery and is at high risk for re-injury.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
F
Legend
Legend
F
jc

Quote:

ASHBURN, Va. — It doesn't sound good for Robert Griffin III.

An injury that sidelines RG3 well into next season is a very real possibility — or at least it seemed that way Monday after coach Mike Shanahan described the results of tests on the rookie's right knee.

Shanahan said the results are prompting the team to send Griffin to Florida on Tuesday to see renowned orthopedist James Andrews for more examinations, essentially a second opinion that will decide the team's fate for the 2013 season.

"There is a concern," Shanahan said. "That's why he's going to see him."

Griffin tore his ACL while playing for Baylor in 2009, and Shanahan said that old injury caused Griffin's latest MRI to prove inconclusive and produce "differences of opinion" in those who have looked at it.

"They want to take another look and have a physical exam with him," Shanahan said, "to make sure they're not looking at old injuries."

A torn ACL typically requires a rehabilitation period of nine to 12 months, although some players don't return to full health until their second season after the injury. On the other hand, one of this season's most remarkable stories was Adrian Peterson, who returned about eight months after tearing an ACL and nearly broke the NFL's single-season rushing record.

Notably, Shanahan referenced Peterson on Monday, pointing out that the Minnesota Vikings back had the big season without the benefit of an offseason practice program. It could be a possible scenario for Griffin.

Shanahan was grilled about his handling of Griffin's injury. Already playing with a heavy black brace in his third game since spraining a lateral collateral ligament, Griffin hurt the knee again when he fell awkwardly while throwing a pass in the first quarter of Sunday's 24-14 playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Griffin stayed in the game, but he was far from his usual self, clearly favoring the knee and unable to run with the world-class speed that helped define his play early in the season.

Then, in the fourth quarter with the Redskins trailing by seven, the knee buckled the wrong way when Griffin tried to field a bad shotgun snap. The Seahawks recovered the fumble deep in Washington territory, setting up a short field goal that helped put the game out of reach. Griffin was done for the evening.

Shanahan said he thought he made the "right decisions" to keep Griffin in the game and that it would be "crazy" to think he would purposely sacrifice Griffin's career to win a game. He said he did not talk to team doctors initially after Griffin was hurt in the first quarter, instead relying on Griffin's word.

"I went up to Robert. I said, `You OK?'" Shanahan said. "And he said, `I'm fine.'"

Griffin was also feeling the criticism for not taking himself out. He did not appear in the locker room during the two hours it was open to reporters Monday morning and instead made his public statements via Twitter.

"Many may question, criticize & think they have all the right answers. But few have been in the line of fire in battle. ... I thank God for perspective and because of that I appreciate the support from everyone. I also appreciate the criticism. ... When adversity strikes you respond in one of two ways....You step aside and give in..Or you step up and fight," Griffin tweeted.

Teammates defended Griffin's desire to play hurt, saying it's part of an athlete's competitive nature.

"It's a slippery slope, I guess you can say, because you want to help the team," said receiver Pierre Garcon, who faced a similar dilemma this season while dealing with a painful toe injury. "But you want to help yourself in the long run and your career.

"You want to look out for all sides, but it's hard to really know exactly if you're doing the right thing because if you sit out and the team losses, it's like `I could probably have helped.' If you go out there and don't help the team, it's like, `I probably should've sat out.' You've just got to make a decision and live with it."

Shanahan's take on Griffin was also muddled by details that have emerged from the game in which the quarterback originally hurt the knee last month against the Baltimore Ravens.

The coach said at the time he was told by Andrews on the Redskins sideline that Griffin was cleared to return to the game, but Andrews told USA Today over the weekend that he didn't get a chance to examine the knee during the one play Griffin sat out after the initial injury.

Shanahan explained the apparent discrepancy.

"I don't sit down with him and say, `Hey, did you give him a proper evaluation?'" Shanahan said. "I ask him, `Is it OK if he goes back in the game?' He says yes or no. He said yes."

Either way, the various versions of what happened cast more intrigue on the protocol NFL teams use to determine whether someone is fit to keep playing. Redskins left guard Kory Lichtensteiger had to leave Sunday's game in the first quarter because he could no longer play on a sprained left ankle that kept him out of practice all week.

"I went out there," Lichtensteiger said. "But, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have done it."

Griffin's injury and the playoff loss put a damper on the end of one of the best Redskins seasons in two decades. Washington rallied from a 3-6 start to win the NFC East after four straight last-place finishes. Assuming Griffin's knee will again be fully healthy, the future looks brighter than at any time since the Super Bowl era under coach Joe Gibbs in the 1980s and early 1990s.

"I think people have really learned around here — if you're down by seven, people aren't packing it in," said safety Reed Doughty, wrapping up his seventh season in Washington. "People aren't getting that `Oh, the way things used to be' kind of feeling."

LINK

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I hope the kid can make it back quickly and at 100%. Certainly an exciting player.

But, I think the 'Skins could do worse than falling back on Kirk Cousins. Now, maybe when teams get some tape on him they can shut him down. But he played well when he had the chance this year.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
This stinks. Maybe we can convince the Skins to trade three first round draft picks to use for our pick so they can take a QB.

I'm ticked that this is going to damage RGIII's career, but he's highly culpable for this as well. What really makes me angry is that this could result in Turd Fisher getting a high draft pick next year.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
When he's basically running on one leg, dragging his other foot behind him, at some point he's got to say to himself and to his coach, "I'm just not able to get it done on this leg." Nobody who isn't a total doofus is going to watch that footage of him hobbling around, falling without being touched and not able to hit the broad side of a barn because he can't set his feet and think to themselves, "man, what a wimp," if he takes himself out.

I would say that it stinks for the Skins, except I don't give a crap about them. They decided to go into all-in win-now mode by selling the farm to get RGIII, and they're reaping what they've sown. Can't feel sorry for them for a second.

Also have to say that tweeting that "many will criticize but few have been on the field of battle" or whatever it was exactly makes him come off sounding like a tool, and saying that "I am the best option for this team" when you can barely jog makes him sound like an egomaniac.

Praise him for having guts or whatever, but he's every bit as responsible as Shanahan is for all of this.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

When he's basically running on one leg, dragging his other foot behind him, at some point he's got to say to himself and to his coach, "I'm just not able to get it done on this leg." Nobody who isn't a total doofus is going to watch that footage of him hobbling around, falling without being touched and not able to hit the broad side of a barn because he can't set his feet and think to themselves, "man, what a wimp," if he takes himself out.

I would say that it stinks for the Skins, except I don't give a crap about them. They decided to go into all-in win-now mode by selling the farm to get RGIII, and they're reaping what they've sown. Can't feel sorry for them for a second.

Also have to say that tweeting that "many will criticize but few have been on the field of battle" or whatever it was exactly makes him come off sounding like a tool, and saying that "I am the best option for this team" when you can barely jog makes him sound like an egomaniac.

Praise him for having guts or whatever, but he's every bit as responsible as Shanahan is for all of this.

x2. Great post.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I completely, vehemently disagree with this statement. Players are born and bred to not think this way. They are trained to think that they can battle through anything and that they are superhuman beyond anything anyone tells them. Why? Because if you believe it, then sometimes it happens.

I don't want a player who is self-aware enough to take himself out of the game. That is the coaches responsibility.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I disagree totally.... It reads to me like, "As long as they would let me go back out there, I was going to go." I bet 99 out of 100 NFL players would feel the exact same way and the other 1... well I don't want him on my team.

Most people have never been in that position beyond perhaps the high school level.. and even in high school, better players hate to take themselves out of games, especially important games... adrenalin is flowing, you think you can do more than you probably can, it's strictly the coaches job to assess the situation and make the determination if the guy is still the best option... I don't think Shanahan made a mistake putting him back on the field but at some point, he probably should have realized that RGIII wasn't the best option any more...

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It doesn't take a doctor to determine that if your knee is so badly hurt that you can barely stand on it, let alone run, then you can't play football. Sorry. These guys aren't robots. Pride be damned, the goal is to win the game, not be the hero. At some point, you have to realize that when you're less than 50% you're no longer "the best option". The combination of Griffin's ego and Shanahan's deferment to a rookie QB cost the Redskins a game that they probably could've won.

I'm not absolving Shanahan of blame, but I'm not about to shed a tear for RGIII like he's the victim in all of this either.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
X3

I've played team sports before and it's an ego-less decision to take yourself out once you realize that the team would be better served playing the understudy.

I discounted RG3's ability to my detriment but the other side of the coin was that I thought he'd be running around and getting himself injured. Unfortunately that's come to fruition.

I love watching him play football though. Hope he heals.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

I like RGIII but I have this terrible suspicion we are going to see a "30-for-30" on him regarding "what could have been" had he stayed healthy.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
ACL is a tricky injury. Cuz after you hurt it couple days of rest and you think its fine. Then you go out and boom it gives out. If you have strong hamstrings it can deceive you. Thurman Thomas played his whole career without an ACL. Never got surgery, just kept his knee strong and wore a brace for stability and was fine. This wont be an end to RG3. 6months rehab and he'll be running and cutting. Another 2 months and he'll be fine for mini camps.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, it's not just this injury. They stick with that read-option offense and he's gonna get killed. I mean a 4-year-career killed, which would be a shame. He's fun to watch and seems to be a genuinely good guy, which is good for the NFL.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
P
Legend
Legend
P
In a statement released via the Redskins, Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery, said that they’re shooting for September.

“Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction. We expect a full recovery and it is everybody’s hope and belief that due to Robert’s high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season. The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career.”

Dr. Andrews Statement On RG3 Surgery

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2012 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2012 RG3 did his best Joe Theisman today, but "Why?", "Why?"..

Link Copied to Clipboard