#744531 01/07/13 01:16 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
In response to PitDawg:

I agree that Haslam and Banner missed on their top two guys. They missed on Marrone because they thought they had Kelly. They missed on Kelly because they didn't know he wanted to stay at Oregon all along.

Quote:

but it may have paid some dividends if they had done their homework a little better and made more sure of his commitment to coming to the NFL ranks

Kelly did a great job of making it appear like he was going to the NFL. It was announced that his offensive coordinator was going to take over as head coach. His post game comments after the Fiesta Bowl all pointed towards him leaving. He then participated in an extensive interview with at least two NFL teams. What else could they have done?

I think Kelly wants to go to the NFL but none of the teams that currently have openings are to his liking.

I've said it before, Kelly was the first choice, that doesn't mean the second choice is bad (or fourth/fifth in our case).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interview Seely PLEASE!!!
Best coach we've had here since well before the return!

Legend
Legend
I think Saban was the first choice, and after Monday may again be the first choice.

If he says no, then I think it's back to the drawing board.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I heard plenty of "NFL Insiders" report that they didn't know where Kelly was going, the only thing they KNEW was that he was going to the NFL.... Pit, I'm never overwhelmed when I see something as "broadly reported" especially something as fast paced and fluid as a coaching search.. primarily because more often than not, you can trace 100 different articles back to 1 source... so one person claims to know something, 100 people report it, so it looks like it is widely believed...

I also find it ironic how if the Browns interview somebody and don't hire them it is automatically viewed as a failure for the Browns... Yes, I believe that Kelly was their #1 target, they may have even been impressed enough to move to the next step following the interview.. but after he spent 8 hours in Philly the next day, they backed off that position.. I don't see that as a failure... and the fact that they interviewed Marrone twice is irrelevant.. that could just mean they found him intriguing but couldn't get a good read on him so they interviewed him again.. If the Browns hired the first guy they interviewed they would be viewed as impulsive and not open to other candidates, if they go through a few they are viewed as failures for not getting the one the media said they really wanted... then whoever they hire, some will view that as a consolation prize...

In short, they aren't going to win with some people...

yebat' Putin
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The last thing we would want is a Billy Donovan situation.

Legend
Legend
If we come out of this with either Whisenhunt, Lovie, or Shanahan, I will be completely fine with it...

Because we STILL have to figure out what we're ganna do at QB... (I think those 3 guys can make Weeden work)

I wasn't TOO keen on Kelly or Saban, wanted NOTHING to do with Marrone (Sorry Buffalo)

But I think those 3 guys (2 SB appearences, one top Cordinator) are not only the best of "what's left" they are the best the Browns could of gotten to begin with...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

+1

Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

I'd rather they interview 50 people than hire the first guy they call.

I'd also prefer to hire a younger guy.......if Haslam truly wants stability, we should be thinking about having this guy around for a decade. I don't see Saban being here for 10 years (although, one of his assistant coaches taking over in 4 years could also be considered as "stability" too).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree that Haslam and Banner missed on their top two guys. They missed on Marrone because they thought they had Kelly. They missed on Kelly because they didn't know he wanted to stay at Oregon all along.

I think just the opposite,, Marrone wasn't exceptional, not close. His background isn't anything to write home about.

And kelly was never going to leave Oregon no matter what. You know he got a call from someone saying,, Hey,, stay here, be our JoePa and we'll fatten that wallet of yours up a bunch.

If you interview a man for 7 hours, make plans to meet again for dinner the next night, and he doesn't have the courtesy to keep the dinner commitment, you walk the hell away.

A swing and a miss would have been haslam and banner hanging around all day Sunday in Arizona waiting for him to make up his mind. I firmly believe they said to themselves, this kid isn't serous,,,,, NEXT,.

I believe this to be one of those "we dodged a bullet" type moments...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I think Saban was the first choice, and after Monday may again be the first choice.

If he says no, then I think it's back to the drawing board.

So, you're asking the Browns to beg a HC that has no desire to coach in the NFL to be a coach in the NFL?

Didn't we just go through that with Chip Kelly?

I don't think a call is going to Nick Saban. If one does, it'll be to ask him about who he thinks would make a good head coaching prospect.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I've said it before, Kelly was the first choice, that doesn't mean the second choice is bad (or fourth/fifth in our case).

Looked like Saban was the first choice. He said he wasn't budging so the Browns went towards Kelly.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
I read they went to Chi town to interview Marc Trestman. He's been very successful in the CFL the last 5 seasons (3 trips to the Grey Cup w/ back-to-back wins in 09-10). They nearly made the Grey Cup again last season too. He worked with Weeden before the draft and Weeden has high praise of the guy. Kosar loves him too. I think it's an outside the box pursuit that has me thinking a little higher of Banner that Trestman is on his radar.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So, you're asking the Browns to beg a HC that has no desire to coach in the NFL to be a coach in the NFL?

Who said he has no desire? Nick? He's the king of lying about his intentions before he acts on them. He knows how to play the game (if he's playing one that is).

Until Nick turns down an NFL job, I don't believe anything he says. And anyway, I thought he said the idea of retunring to the NFL intrigued him.

These guys are ego maniacs. People say he can't coach in the NFL.....that drives him to want to prove them wrong. We shall see.

PS - I'm not predicting he is our next coach or that Saban will leave Bama for another NFL job in 5 days.....just saying, it could happen and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I read they went to Chi town to interview Marc Trestman. He's been very successful in the CFL the last 5 seasons (3 trips to the Grey Cup w/ back-to-back wins in 09-10). They nearly made the Grey Cup again last season too. He worked with Weeden before the draft and Weeden has high praise of the guy. Kosar loves him too. I think it's an outside the box pursuit that has me thinking a little higher of Banner that Trestman is on his radar.

Yeah, that's on here somewhere. THere was a Grossi article that someone posted and gave all of Marc Trestmans history..

He's actually a fairly impressive guy. He deserves a good long look see

To be honest, right now, my first choices would be Bruce Ariens or Trestman. I want nothing to do with a guy fresh from the college ranks until he's put some time in as an NFL Assistant

I see what Ariens did with the Colts and I just shake my head.. he took a team that was probably no more talented than us except at QB and they were in the playoffs. The man proved he could be a HC this year.

Trestman has been building his resume for years, some of them right here. To me, these are proven guys.

hell, I don't even want Saban. Next thing you know, someone will bring up Kirk Ferentz..LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont buy that our guy is in the current pool of coaches.

I like McCoy, Zimmer and Whisenhunt but I'm thinking hard on Brad Seely, Darrel Bevell, Gus Bradley All not mentioned by the Browns.

I dont want to lock ourselves into some small box with only three or four choices.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

hell, I don't even want Saban. Next thing you know, someone will bring up Kirk Ferentz..LOL

Well, someone did bring up Marty on one of these threads, so anything is possible!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I also find it ironic how if the Browns interview somebody and don't hire them it is automatically viewed as a failure for the Browns... Yes, I believe that Kelly was their #1 target, they may have even been impressed enough to move to the next step following the interview..

I don't think it's a smart business plan to stick your neck out to the point that even guys like you and I can figure out "who your #1 target is" in the first place.

Quote:

but after he spent 8 hours in Philly the next day, they backed off that position.. I don't see that as a failure...

We see this point entirely differently. It wasn't "just the fact" he spendt 8 hours with Philly the next day. I think one has to consider the impact of that was a no show for their scheduled second interview which left Haslam/Banner sitting there with egg on their faces a huge part of that equasion.

And if you call what they did as "backing off", we see that differently as well. It was obvious that with Kelly hanging with Philly to the point of not even keeping our second interview while Haslam and company were left hanging in Zona, he certainly didn't plan on coming here...........

So they went with a PR pre-emtive strike saying they were no longer intersted in Kelly. While the actual indications were it was Kelly who was no longer interested in us. Not a bad PR move if people don't look at the way things actually went down.

Quote:

If the Browns hired the first guy they interviewed they would be viewed as impulsive and not open to other candidates, if they go through a few they are viewed as failures for not getting the one the media said they really wanted...

Or if they if they spend seven hours with a guy one day with a flollow up the next day...... Then hire him? It may also look like they had a solid plan going into this thing in the first place. I guess it could be seen either way.

Looking back at your above comments, you said it's who they really wanted too. At least in some fashion that was non-commital of course.

Quote:

then whoever they hire, some will view that as a consolation prize...

Everyone who has came here since 99 has "won with some people". That's why so many have seen this kind of thing before.

My point is far more about appearances and perception than anything else. For a guy in Haslam who referred to "marketing" so much in his initial press conference, you would think if he were such a marketing expert, he wouldn't want to be left sitting in Zona trying to pull a CYA move claiming you're no lnger interested in some guy who stood you up, not the other way around.

Let's just say, it certainly leaves you in a situation where you aren't making such a good first impression.....

After all, as Haslam said, "It's all about marketing".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

I read they went to Chi town to interview Marc Trestman.

Here you go:

Quote:

The Browns are scheduled to interview Marc Trestman for their head-coaching vacancy in Chicago, ESPN Cleveland and the Associated Press reported.

Trestman, who is reportedly set to meet with the Chicago Bears today, has been the coach of the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes since 2008. But Trestman has many NFL stops on his resume, including one stint in Cleveland.

Trestman joined the Browns in 1988 as a quarterbacks coach and served as their offensive coordinator in 1989. In Cleveland, Trestman reunited with quarterback Bernie Kosar. Trestman was the University of Miami’s quarterbacks coach in 1983, when Kosar and the Hurricanes won the national championship.

He also was an offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers (1995-96), Arizona Cardinals (1998-2000) and Oakland Raiders (2002-03) before entering the CFL. The Raiders went to the Super Bowl during the 2002 season, when quarterback Rich Gannon thrived in Trestman's West Coast system.

Trestman, 56, is also a noted quarterbacks consultant. He worked with Brandon Weeden before the Browns drafted him 22nd overall in 2012.

“I thought it was my most important few days leading up to the draft,” Weeden said in a testimonial on Trestman’s website. “Getting to get up on the board and talk through west coast systems and then be able to go out on the field and put some of those things to use. Marc is an extremely knowledgeable football mind and with his obvious success everywhere he has been proves that he knows how to develop and teach quarterbacks.”

On Sunday, Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports reported Cleveland's coaching search would include Trestman and another former Browns offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians. The current offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts, Arians was hospitalized with an illness on Sunday in Baltimore. He is expected to be released today, and the Browns are expected to interview him this week.

Last week, the Browns also reportedly interviewed former University of Oregon coach Chip Kelly, Penn State University coach Bill O’Brien, former Syracuse University coach Doug Marrone, former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton.

Kelly and O’Brien decided to stay in the college ranks, and the Buffalo Bills hired Marrone. The Browns reportedly came close to reaching a deal with Kelly, but it didn't pan out.

The Browns will not comment on candidates or interviews until their search is complete. Owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner fired coach Pat Shurmur and General Manager Tom Heckert on Dec. 31 after the Browns finished 2012 with a record of 5-11, their 12th losing season since 1999. Haslam and Banner plan to hire a head coach first and then a personnel executive who complements him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It's not about "missing". It's the BS afterwords that make them look bad IMO

As is stated in my above post, Kelly was the one who made it obvious that he wasn't interested in us first by leaving them hanging in Zona and not showing for that second interview.

Instead of waiting it out and making a simple statement that it seemed there wasn't a mutual agreement between the two parties, they pulled a "rookie move".

They tried to make people believe it was them who was no longer interested in Kelly when in fact the evidence clearly shows that it was Kelly who no longer was interested in them.

Quote:

What else could they have done?

Not have made it so obvious in the aftermath of just how naive they think this fan base is for one. And secondly, they could have looked at just last year as an example of how Kelly played the Bucs in order to realise he might be playing that same game again.

Quote:

The fact of the matter is, I didn't want Kelly here. I didn't hide that fact. It's more about the rookie way they handled things with Haslam having his "right hand man" guiding him.

I liken it to a high school boy who gets stood up for a date with who he thinks is "The hottest woman on campus" and replying this way........... "Ah, I didn't want to go aout with her anyway."

Just seems like a rather silly way to handle the situation.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If you interview a man for 7 hours, make plans to meet again for dinner the next night, and he doesn't have the courtesy to keep the dinner commitment, you walk the hell away.

I think it's obvious at that point that he was the one who walked away. But of course at that point you have to CYA in such situations by trying to convince people it happened theother way around

You even said it yourself, he wasn't going to leave Oregon no matter what at that point. So with you feeling that was truely the case.... Who walked away from who again?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think it was you who asked me why I would want a 60 year old head coach ........

I want Arians as head coach because I happen to think that he is the best possible option we have at this point.

We're going to interview Marc Trestman ...... what a friggin joke. The guy bounced around the NFL, getting canned at job after job after job ........ doing absolutely nothing to improve the players he was tasked with improving ....... but he's "younger" ..... so he's gotta be better ... right?

I broke down his record on the other coaches thread. It's less than impressive until he went to the CFL. Now if we were looking for a CFL coach, then that would be great .... but we aren't.

Bruce Arians has developed QBs in the past ...... he even made something out of Kelly Holcomb for a while ......... he's a smart coach, showed incredible leadership this year, and should be very well connected as far as finding assistant coaches. The guy is 2 things I value .... a teacher and a leader. He has a system that has succeeded in the NFL. That's why I want him as our next head coach.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The fact of the matter is, I didn't want Kelly here. I didn't hide that fact. It's more about the rookie way they handled things with Haslam having his "right hand man" guiding him.

I liken it to a high school boy who gets stood up for a date with who he thinks is "The hottest woman on campus" and replying this way........... "Ah, I didn't want to go aout with her anyway."

Just seems like a rather silly way to handle the situation.....

I agree. I just think the option of saying, "We tried really hard and failed," is equally bad. I wouldn't care if that's what they said, but many people would then say, "They couldn't even get the guy they wanted." Although, I guess people are saying that know anyway.

They also have to consider the next candidates, they want people to perceive them as the "right guy for the job" and it is impossible to be the "right guy for the job" if you are the second or ninth choice in some people's eyes (media).

It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

"We suck and didn't guy our guy" = People think you are incompetent
"We didn't want someone who wasn't 100% in it" = People think (know) you are lying

Choose one.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Looks like the Bears are going to interview Bevell and Dennison from the Texans. I think he would be worth looking at and may be familiar with some of our current staff.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/01/...ell_bevell.html

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/i...ears-job-source

Last edited by vadawgfan07; 01/07/13 02:32 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We see this point entirely differently. It wasn't "just the fact" he spendt 8 hours with Philly the next day. I think one has to consider the impact of that was a no show for their scheduled second interview which left Haslam/Banner sitting there with egg on their faces a huge part of that equasion.

I guess we are... I just don't see it as that big of a deal.. the national media will make it out to be a big deal but then that's what they do with everything... It's not like Chip Kelly played the Browns then signed with the Bills or Eagles.. he played everybody and went back to Oregon... Lurie was also pretty much taken in and I don't think most people consider him an idiot.

Quote:

And if you call what they did as "backing off", we see that differently as well. It was obvious that with Kelly hanging with Philly to the point of not even keeping our second interview while Haslam and company were left hanging in Zona, he certainly didn't plan on coming here...........

Evidently he didn't plan on going anywhere in the NFL.... just like he played Tampa Bay last year... I lost far more respect for Chip Kelly in this whole process than I did for J&J.... He played the field last year, he knew what was out there, he knew what his options were.... and he played the field again. I just think he likes being "wanted"....

Quote:

So they went with a PR pre-emtive strike saying they were no longer intersted in Kelly. While the actual indications were it was Kelly who was no longer interested in the NFL . Not a bad PR move if people don't look at the way things actually went down.

There you go.

Quote:

Or if they if they spend seven hours with a guy one day with a flollow up the next day...... Then hire him? It may also look like they had a solid plan going into this thing in the first place. I guess it could be seen either way.

I've interviewed and hired a lot of people... I get a bunch of resumes, I shortlist those resumes based on what I'm looking for..... then I do interviews.. so I suppose I have a target based on the best resume but that person might be totally different in person during the interview.. having a #1 target does not mean its a formality that you will offer that person a job, it just means they have the edge going into the interviews and that is the person you really hope you like... it usually doesn't work out that way.

I've also had that #1 candidate say all the right things in an interview to get hired, then once hired you find out they are not the person you thought they were in the interview... it seems like that is the case here.... I'm sure Chip Kelly told the Browns he was all in... but after what he pulled the next day... they lost that lovin' feeling... so they moved on.. I will not ever consider that a bad thing.. .

Quote:

My point is far more about appearances and perception than anything else.

I don't really care about appearances or perception... I want the best coach that is committed to the Cleveland Browns for the long haul... Chip Kelly wasn't that guy, if takes getting stood up at the alter to figure that out, so be it. I'd rather have that than an unhappy 2 year marriage that ends in divorce because one side quickly realizes they don't want to be there.

Quote:

Let's just say, it certainly leaves you in a situation where you aren't making such a good first impression.....

Come away with a good coach, win 8 or 9 games next year.. and I won't give a flying rats arse how this whole process played out... and I will secretly hope that Chip Kelly starts losing out on recruits because they don't see his commitment to Oregon...

yebat' Putin
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea.. I guess the Eagles are failed losers too.. We could say we want Vince Lombardi or Chuck Knoll and the media would say we "FAILED" to get them

If I'm Jimmy, I call Cohwer and offer him 8 mill a year for 6 years guaranteed. Add a mill for AFC north title and 2 mil for SB win. If he says NO.. Then I guess we FAIL again cause he AINT interested in coaching again.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I dont buy that our guy is in the current pool of coaches.

I like McCoy, Zimmer and Whisenhunt but I'm thinking hard on Brad Seely, Darrel Bevell, Gus Bradley All not mentioned by the Browns.

I dont want to lock ourselves into some small box with only three or four choices.

Zimmer is my #1 choice. I liked Seely to take over for Mangini but as we all know that didn't happen. I would be happy if we hired him. I am a little bit intrigued by Bradley. Though must admit that I don't know well enough to form a solid opinion. I wouold be okay with Whiz, Ariens and Shanahan.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As an aside:

Is it Whisenhut or Whisenhunt?

and

Is it Ariens or Arians?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hunt

Arians

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Arians and Whisenhunt.

I went to a Browns/Cardinals game in 2007 (the one where Winslow got pushed out of the endzone on a Hail Mary from Anderson) and many of the Cardinals referred to Whisenhunt as "The Whizzinator." He has been The Whizzinator to me ever since.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks, I think I had both wrong

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

Thanks, I think I had both wrong

As if it matters. People were spelling Shurmur's named wrong up until the day he was fired. Shermur, Shurmer, etc.

At least you actually care to know the actual way instead of commenting on someone while misspelling their name.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's all good, man. Lavao's name has been abused left and right on this board at every turn (YTown!).

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What Arians said about the Browns at a Super Bowl
Print Comment
By Steve Doerschuk

We have spent the morning working on the head coach hunt, as you might expect.
We have just finished an analysis of a Bill Cowher clone (Ken Whisenhunt) that should be up on cantonrep.com shortly.
We will be piecing together material for Fresh Brownies, but in the meantime, nothing we can dig up on Bruce Arians would provide a better feel for Bruce Arians — from us, anyway — than the following.
It is a story we worked up from a long interview with Bruce Arians from Texas during Super Bowl week two years ago. Arians was with the Steelers at the time.
We remember Bruce laughing about how “popular” he was as an offensive coordinator in his second Super Bowl in three years. He’s more popular in Inianapolis than he ever was in Pittsburgh.
Anyway, here’s the story, which we’ve shared here in the past, but Bruce is a head coaching candidate now, so, take a look if you’d like:

Feb. 2, 2011
By Steve Doerschuk
ARLINGTON, TEXAS — The temperature at Pittsburgh was polar that day, sub-20 with wind chill. Bruce Arians’ Cleveland offense was on fire.
“We had ’em beat,” Arians said, “and they knew we had ’em beat.”
Early in the third quarter of a playoff game, Dennis Northcutt raced 59 yards with a punt return. Kelly Holcomb, who would finish with 429 passing yards, promptly fired a touchdown strike to Northcutt for a 24-7 lead.
The Steelers still were hurting, even after Hines Ward scored with three minutes left in the game to cut the deficit to 33-28.
With 2:42 left, Holcomb lofted a third-down pass to Northcutt near the left sideline. It was an easy catch — and a horrible time for a drop.
Tommy Maddox then drove the Steelers 61 yards for a touchdown. Pittsburgh stole one, 36-33.
The Butch Davis regime fell apart, and the Browns have never returned to the playoffs.
“Hines brings that up all the time,” Arians said. “ ‘If Northcutt catches that ball, you might be a head coach now.’
“I tell him, ‘Yeah, but I wouldn’t have these Super Bowl rings.’ ”
Arians worked one more year with the Browns before Davis fired him. He went to Pittsburgh as wide receivers coach in 2004, and was promoted in 2007 to offensive coordinator, the job he will perform Sunday in Super Bowl XLV.
Browns history changed at halftime of that Jan. 5, 2003, playoff game. Arians does not blame Northcutt for not making the easy catch that would have enabled Cleveland to run out the clock.
“We wouldn’t have been in the position we were in if he hadn’t done what he’d done,” Arians said. “I love Dennis.
“I thought our head coach lost the game.”
• • •
The Browns led 17-7 at halftime and led 209-163 in net yards. Arians thought Defensive Coordinator Foge Fazio was carrying out a nice plan.
Eight years after the fact, Arians still gets passionate when he talks about it, alluding to Davis when he says “he.”
“He called off the dogs on defense,” Arians said. “You just don’t let Tommy Maddox sit there and play against a prevent defense. And he basically fired Foge at halftime.
“Foge was blitzing, and we had them beat.”
Technically, Davis fired Fazio after the game.
Arians, 58, gets a little choked up when he talks about Fazio, who died 14 months ago in Pittsburgh.
The world has done a lot of turning since they helped the Browns to the brink of a playoff win at Pittsburgh.
Arians relaxed and shared stories from a seat in the lower bowl at Cowboys Stadium on Tuesday, Super Bowl Media Day.
A Fox TV interviewer plopped down next to him and began asking questions about attacking a 3-4 defense. It was Brian Billick, who soon was waved on to the next interview by a producer.
Arians smiled at the odd scene.
In 2001, he did one of his best coaching jobs with the Browns in two games against a Baltimore team whose head coach was Billick. The Ravens were defending Super Bowl champs at the time.
The Browns beat them twice that year, with key plays from “The Legend,” running back Ben Gay.
“Ben was an ungodly talent,” Arians said. “It was a shame he couldn’t stay the course mentally, off the field, to be able to use it.”
• • •
Arians is closely linked to another Ben now. Ben Roethlisberger is as big as any story in Dallas, shooting for his third Super Bowl win after making a mess of his personal life last offseason.
The 28-year-old quarterback made national news after indiscretions in Georgia led to a four-game suspension.
Arians sounds like Roethlisberger’s father when he talks about it. In fact, he proudly says Roethlisberger is close with his two children, who are roughly the same age as the quarterback.
Arians said Roethlisberger may have experienced too much fame too soon.
“It happens to a lot of these guys,” he said. “A young kid has success. There is a sense of entitlement ... you look at yourself different. You feel good about yourself. It’s the same thing with a coach if he starts to win.
“That success kind of becomes who you are. You stray away from you family and your roots and everything ... then he takes a punch in the nose and gets it back.
“Ben was only in Georgia because he bought the house around the corner from me. We play a lot of golf together.
“He has overcome it. I’ve been blessed to help him overcome it.”
Humoring a writer from Ohio, Arians drew a comparison between Roethlisberger and Tim Couch, on whom the Browns spent a No. 1 overall draft pick in 1999.
He said Couch was unfairly hammered — and Roethisberger is underrated.
“People in Cleveland still think Tim Couch was a bust,” Arians said, his face growing animated. “Tim Couch took us to the playoffs ... the only playoff they had.
“He broke his leg in the last regular-season game, then Kelly had an unbelievable playoff game again Pittsburgh.
“By then, Tim’s labrum was already torn up. The labrum, the rotator cuff ... they were gone. I mean, he was one of the toughest, best players I’ve ever coached.
“So when you say Ben’s not an elite quarterback ... Tim Couch wasn’t a bust, either.”
“He broke his leg in the last regular-season game, then Kelly had an unbelievable playoff game again Pittsburgh.
“By then, Tim’s labrum was already torn up. The labrum, the rotator cuff ... they were gone. I mean, he was one of the toughest, best players I’ve ever coached.
“So when you say Ben’s not an elite quarterback ... Tim Couch wasn’t a bust, either.”
Arians was Peyton Manning’s position coach with the Colts for Manning’s first three years in the NFL.
“As far as Ben,” he said, “I’ve coached a few of these guys. I can compare them. I wouldn’t trade Ben for Peyton, Tom (Brady) or Drew (Brees)... today ... when it’s critical.”

• • •

• See you in a while with some new material.

If the Browns have $47 million in cap space, as is being reported, they had better be right if they decide to sink a bunch of it into Alex Smith. web page

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's all good, man. Lavao's name has been abused left and right on this board at every turn (YTown!).

Yes, you have now forced me to learn how to spell Lauvao"s name.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haha, crap! I just realized I did that.

The intent was there, but the index finger failed on getting to the "U."

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I care man, I care

And after reading the article on AriAns I see that he really cares and is passionate about the Browns. When I hear that he would like to come back to Cleveland as a HC I believe that he is saying that because he wants to come back to Cleveland and "right some wrongs" and that he isn't saying that because he wants to be a HC and where doesn't matter.

I might be moving him right up next to Zimmer on my list of wants for HC.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
On a side note, I'm surprised at how little press Zimmer has been getting this year.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think it was you who asked me why I would want a 60 year old head coach ........

I want Arians as head coach because I happen to think that he is the best possible option we have at this point.

We're going to interview Marc Trestman ...... what a friggin joke. The guy bounced around the NFL, getting canned at job after job after job ........ doing absolutely nothing to improve the players he was tasked with improving ....... but he's "younger" ..... so he's gotta be better ... right?

You just ignored the entire question.

What I posted and quoted tends to state that Haslam wishes to go in the form of the Steelers in terms of a "long term hire" at the HC position. I pointed out that Cowher was there for 15 years and Knoll was there for over 20 years.

I asked you how you thought that fit in to what we were told he was looking for as that "type of HC"?

My point was, to achieve even the length that Cowher coached at Pitt., that would put Ariens into his mid 70's.

I didn't indicate that "younger was better" and stated that I liked Ariens all along. While he isn't #1 on my list, he is a higher level HC candidate I would be comfortable with and wouldn't go all "Chip Kelly on his arse!"

Somehow you missed the entire premise of what I was asking you. I just look at the comments Haslam made regarding a long term/long haul kind of HC and wondered why you thought someone like Ariens or Saban fit such a model?

The question wasn't about what either of us wanted, but how it fit in with Haslams comments. Calm down bud!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't see why a 60 years old guy can't be a long term hire. Heck, if we got Arians, he's 60 right now. He'll be 61 in October of next season. 10 years puts him at 70/71.

Arians has been a football coach for 37 years, and in the NFL for 25.

Here's the thing about this that just kills me ...... Marc Trestman, a greatly inferior coach if you ask me, is currently 56. He'll be 57 on the 15th of January. (8 days from now) In his potential 10th season, he'd be 67.

Ooooh .... he's 3.5 years younger than Arians. Yeah .... that makes all the difference to me.

Fortunately, I just heard on NFL Network that the Browns have asked to interview Bruce Arians, and that interview should take place later this week. I think that he has a real desire to be the next head coach of the Browns, and hopefully that comes across in his interview.

Gawd .... a freakin' CFL coach. Of all the things that could only make us a bigger laughing stock ......... I can't think of too many bigger than that one.

Legend
Legend
Arians doesn't fit the model, but then again, neither does Chip Kelly... if the model is long term, tried and true, solid football, no gimmicks, no flash, like the Steelers.. neither of them fit all of that...

I know Arians doesn't have the history or the experience that Joe Gibbs had.. but he came back to the Redskins, took a team that had been to the playoffs once in about 12 years, started to turn them around.. then they tried the Jim Zorn experiment but quickly turned to Shanahan who seems to have a good thing going there... so if Arians could serve that roll of coaching for 4 or 5 years and getting the Browns respectable to where it is a sought after job and he could leave it on a high note... that might be worth something.. though that is not what they said they wanted.

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Potential Head Coaches IV

Link Copied to Clipboard