Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Glad to hear this..

Last night on Channel 3's Sports Time after the evening news, it was reported that Tabor is being retained as well..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Also, it was said by Chudzinski that we would be using a "hybrid" defense, meaning the situation will dictate the defense.

I would think before we all follow the first lemming off the cliff that we'd wait and see how this hybrid defense will be put together.

Isn't it too soon to make assumptions about our roster and systems?

Hey,, I like Lemming,, sauteed in a little butter with chives,, Yum... oh, wait.. Never mind......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
O-line continuity

Browns offensive line coach George Warhop has reportedly survived yet another regime change.

New Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid targeted Warhop, and the two sides were in serious negotiations before Warhop decided to stay with the Browns as a member of Chudzinski’s staff, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported. Warhop was the San Francisco 49ers’ offensive line coach in 2006, when Turner was the 49ers’ offensive coordinator, meaning Warhop and Turner are set to reunite in Cleveland.

Former New York Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano was going to meet with the Browns about coaching their offensive line until Warhop decided to stay put, and now Sparano is scheduled to interview with Reid and the Chiefs today, Mortensen reported.

Warhop, 51, joined the Browns in 2009 as part of Eric Mangini’s staff. Mangini was fired following the 2010 season, though Warhop was one of four assistant coaches retained by Shurmur.

Requests denied

Six teams have asked the Browns for permission to interview special-teams coordinator Chris Tabor, only to have those requests denied, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported. In other words, the Browns are trying to retain Tabor, 41.

RE: Warhop & Tabor

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Good to hear he is staying. It seems like he is doing a good job, and some continuity certainly cant hurt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OK , if George Warhop is such a good line coach, why can't we run block ????

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Good to hear he is staying. It seems like he is doing a good job, and some continuity certainly cant hurt.

If reports we hear have any truth to them, (in particular Turner and Pagano as OC and DC respectively) then things in Berea are a lot like a duck in the water,, on the surface,, all nice and calm, but below the water line, those little feet are paddling away like crazy

Hanging on to Warhop and Tabor. Pagano and Turner will be able to attract coaches.

I think we'll be fine.

I think that if nothing else, we can say for sure that there is no ego issues with a Chud regime. That's gotta be an attractive situation to work in.

At least you'd think so.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Maybe it wasn't all on the OL? Just a hint...

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think we might end up keeping Jauron. It seems like the Chargers want to keep Pagano with whoever their new head coach is. Same thing for Horton in Arizona and Tucker in Jacksonville.

Jauron may be our fourth option, but he is a fourth option many people would be very happy with.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Now wouldn't THAT be ironic!

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think we might end up keeping Jauron. It seems like the Chargers want to keep Pagano with whoever their new head coach is. Same thing for Horton in Arizona and Tucker in Jacksonville.

Jauron may be our fourth option, but he is a fourth option many people would be very happy with.

That wouldn't sadden me in the least.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Shurmur gets an interview. Chud's old job.

to coach Cam Newton?

ok Cam, no more shotgun, no more rollouts, and dang-gun-it, no more QB sneaks. everything is short and timing based (despite no WRs on their roster who do that).

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

to coach Cam Newton?

ok Cam, no more shotgun, no more rollouts, and dang-gun-it, no more QB sneaks. everything is short and timing based (despite no WRs on their roster who do that).

And don't forget to always BATTLE....

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

to coach Cam Newton?

And don't forget to always BATTLE....

LOL if I was Cam I would demand to be traded or released if Shurmur is hired.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

D-line coach on radar

The Browns have received permission from the Jacksonville Jaguars to interview defensive line coach Joe Cullen, USA Today reported.

In other words, the Browns probably won’t retain Dwaine Board, who spent the past two seasons serving as their defensive line coach under defensive coordinator Dick Jauron.
Cullen joined the Jaguars in 2010. He previously coached the Detroit Lions’ defensive line from 2006-08, meaning his has six seasons of NFL experience.

Cullen, 45, also has 22 years of college coaching experience. His resume includes stints at Massachusetts (1990-91), Richmond (1992-98 and 2000), Louisiana State (1999), Memphis (2001), Indiana (2002-04), Illinois (2005) and Idaho State (2009).

Jauron is not expected to be back, and the Browns have yet to name a new defensive coordinator. San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano and Jaguars defensive coordinator Mel Tucker are reportedly on the Browns' radar.

This is the guy who drove through the Wendy's drive thru naked when he was with the Lions.

Link

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Yikes.

I actually liked Board as the DL coach ..... but if we go to more of a 3-4 look, I don't know if he fits.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

D-line coach on radar

The Browns have received permission from the Jacksonville Jaguars to interview defensive line coach Joe Cullen, USA Today reported.

In other words, the Browns probably won’t retain Dwaine Board, who spent the past two seasons serving as their defensive line coach under defensive coordinator Dick Jauron.
Cullen joined the Jaguars in 2010. He previously coached the Detroit Lions’ defensive line from 2006-08, meaning his has six seasons of NFL experience.

Cullen, 45, also has 22 years of college coaching experience. His resume includes stints at Massachusetts (1990-91), Richmond (1992-98 and 2000), Louisiana State (1999), Memphis (2001), Indiana (2002-04), Illinois (2005) and Idaho State (2009).

Jauron is not expected to be back, and the Browns have yet to name a new defensive coordinator. San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano and Jaguars defensive coordinator Mel Tucker are reportedly on the Browns' radar.

This is the guy who drove through the Wendy's drive thru naked when he was with the Lions.

I don't know what to say about this...below is Joe Cullen's wiki bio, which includes the negative stuff.

This is Joe Banner's territory...hiring coaches. Banner said he felt judging coaching talent was one of his strong suites.

Joe Cullen (American football)

Joe Cullen is currently the defensive line coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.[1] Cullen was a four-year starting nose guard at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he started 45 straight games. He was a three-time All-Yankee Conference selection and was the Minutemen’s team MVP in 1989.

He graduated from UMass in 1990 with a bachelor's degree in sports management. He spent a year as a graduate assistant there before becoming a position coach. Afterwards, he coached at the University of Richmond, LSU, University of Memphis, Indiana University, and University of Illinois before joining the Lions in 2006.

Cullen was arrested in 2006 for driving under the influence as the defensive line coach for the Detroit Lions. In another incident, also during the 2006 pre-season, he was arrested after he drove through a Wendy's drive-thru nude.[2] He was fined $20,000 by the NFL for "conduct detrimental to the league" and sentenced by a judge to 10 days of community service and to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.[3]

In 2009 he was an assistant coach at Idaho State.

web page

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Ok so we cant let him tailgate with us thats for sure. Im kinda suprised we havent heard much about Turner lately.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
driving drunk isn't funny, but driving naked to wendy's is funny.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I'm just glad that it wasn't my old Wendy's.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When he pulled up to the drive thru window,and they looked in and say he was naked. They asked him," you want fries with that ? "

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I thought that maybe they'd ask him if that was "Jr" burger .......

Anyway ... back to his coaching ...... I don't see very much that is impressive as far as results from him. The Jaguars have been worse than us at rushing the passer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Board is one of the elite line coaches, I hope he is retained. Look at the improvement in Sheard, Hughes, Kitchen and even the training camp fodder improved under this guy. Honestly we have probably the best D staff in the league already.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe it wasn't all on the OL? Just a hint...

.....................................................................................................

I thought I did a better job of baiting you ( lol )

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

One can coach ability, not create it.

Maybe a change in offensive philosophy away from required mobility and towards a ZBS can coax something out of these guys.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe a change in offensive philosophy away from required mobility and towards a ZBS can coax something out of these guys.

I agree. One of my big beefs with Eo back in the day.

My question was if coaching solved all the problems, why couldn't proven, great coaches, have everybody on the team playing at a all-star level?

Coaching is maybe 20% of it at best. The rest is on the player.

It's like a teacher. If you give them a room full of dunces....well, they still end up with dunces.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. One of my big beefs with Eo back in the day.

My question was if coaching solved all the problems, why couldn't proven, great coaches, have everybody on the team playing at a all-star level?

It's like a teacher. If you give them a room full of dunces....well, they still end up with dunces.

Then Mike Brown should have won titles all the time, he coached 2 of the best talents in the game and couldnt win.

Coaching is way over rated

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You can even break down that 20% of coaching... you have the coaching of individual players, honing their skills and techniques... then you have the coaching that schemes the group and puts them in the best position to win.... then you have the attitude/motivational part of coaching that generally gets everybody up to play at 100% every week...

Those are 3 different skills, often the responsibility of 3 different coaches... and if any one of them isn't good at their job, then the team suffers...

Plus, football is the ultimate team sport, it's hard at most positions to look like an all-pro if the players around you aren't very good...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
So, who hasn't done that? Just do NOT spill your coffee!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bottom line: Where do you stand on Warhop / talent and the running game with this team ?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our OL was really good all year but Richardson just didnt have the burst to take advantage of the holes being opened up. Now we know why he lacked the burst. The run game will be vastly improved next year just because Trent will be healthy and Norv is good at working the run game. If the back has talent Norv will get it out of them.

Shurmur was from the Andy Reid camp and that certainly didnt help the run game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

If they could find a way to keep Jauron, there might be a little bit of hope for this yet; but just a sliver.
The best coach the Browns had was Jauron, the 2nd best was Childress.

Say all you want about the defense since Jauron came here but the players were always in the right position, if he goes you get another huge question mark.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Umm, any news on Turner?

Or was this a rumor used to smooth over the fan base angry with the Chud hire?

C
Legend
Legend
C
He is on vacation. The announcement will be made when he gets back.

Quote:

The Plain Dealer first reported that the Browns have settled on Norv Turner as offensive coordinator. The team will announce the move once Turner returns from vacation. ESPN's Chris Mortensen later confirmed that Turner will be hired, via sources.

Link

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/16/13 08:46 PM.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

He is on vacation. The announcement will be made when he gets back.

Quote:

The Plain Dealer first reported that the Browns have settled on Norv Turner as offensive coordinator. The team will announce the move once Turner returns from vacation. ESPN's Chris Mortensen later confirmed that Turner will be hired, via sources.

Link

The same people said we signed chip and teo had a girlfriend who died

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris is scheduled to interview with the Cleveland Browns for their defensive coordinator position, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

Washington hired Morris last January, shortly after he had been fired as head coach at Tampa Bay. Morris turned down the defensive coordinator position with Minnesota, but had an agreement with Washington at the time he was hired that would allow him to interview for any defensive coordinator job.

Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times first reported the news of Morris’ interview with Cleveland.

Cleveland hired Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as head coach last week.

Morris oversaw a unit that struggled while hit hard by injuries during the first half of the season, but the secondary — along with the rest of the defense — made strides down the second half of the season and helped Washington reel off seven straight wins.

Link

C
Legend
Legend
C
To be fair, everyone said we hired Chip Kelly and Te'o's girlfriend was dead.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Interesting that we would hire Raheem Morris he is a product of the Tampa 2 defense. That is pretty much the opposite of an attacking defense.

Maybe he picked something up in his one year with the Redskins running the 3-4.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I actually thought the Tampa 2 was a very aggressive style of defense.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
raheem morris huh. interesting name at least. agreed that the tampa-2 sure isn't the attacking style that Chud mentioned.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Coordinators/Assistant Coaches

Link Copied to Clipboard