Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You can "move on" from an ex girlfiriend BUT still be axed by her, right?

It's pretty evident how this unfolded and it was reported multiple times too

You're right it is.

The Browns had high interest in him. They thought he was going to be a great coach. They set up a second interview. He then stood them up for the second interview and then they left because they didn't want a flake as a head coach.

But no, it's because Joe Banner or the bogeyman or something, right?

I doubt we ever know the truth about it. And I'll be honest, I don't care what Kinda business you run, you don't always get your first choice (if indeed Kelly was our first choice)

I'm happy with the Chud hire so frankly, I couldn't care less.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Why is it so important? I'm just curious because it seems the only thing that you are arguing about is that people need to admit you are right.. when there is nothing to gain by being right.

Because it seems to me that in the course of a week, Chip Kelly had the Browns, Eagles, and Ducks all believing that's where he wanted to be and he waffled back and forth making commitments to all of them, then breaking them.... I wasn't down on getting Kelly before but I am now and it's not because of his coaching style.. so I say good riddance to him...

So if you want to believe he dumped us, if others want to believe we withdrew from consideration before he decided... who cares? I mean other than a select few folks using it to try to bolster their point that they don't like Banner, who cares?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We interviewed several guys twice, so it is impossible to say Kelly was going to be offered the job. Only thing we can say is that we were intrigued enough to give him a 2nd interview and he no showed so we moved on. Zimmer, Whisenhunt, Trestman and Chud all received 2nd interviews as well and imho we picked the best of the lot.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Give me 1 head coach that did not have pro experience besides Jimmy johnson that has been successful. It doesnt exist.

Paul Brown

re-posting to make sure you didn't miss it
added Barry Switzer on the list later (he may have won a SB w/ Jimmy's team, but he still won a SB).

so, all 3 guys that I found won a NFL championship.

and that is the list as far as I could find. i mean guys like Spurrier, Saban and Butch Davis all had pro-experience before getting a NFL HC job. what other guys are even available for this list?

i'm sure there were more in the Paul Brown days, but i don't know enough about other teams in that era.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Give me 1 head coach that did not have pro experience besides Jimmy johnson that has been successful. It doesnt exist.

There really aren't that many if you count any level of coaching in the NFL. Tom Coughlin came over from Boston College but had taken some positional jobs in the NFL before his HC days at BC.

Spurrier and Johnson are the only two guys that come to mind that fit that criteria. No NFL experience as any type of coach, came straight from college.

I get where you are coming from though. I think most would agree you should have some experience at the NFL level, to taste the day-to-day operations of a team, because it's much different than a college program.

I believe that is what Jim Tressel did. Jim Irsay gave him a bogus position with the Colts, just so he could see what it was like. I think JT took one look and said no freaking way.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Thought...

Kelly NFL = Saban NFL?

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Saban had NFL experience, made the Dolphins more successful than they were before or after him and was voted down by ownership/medical staff on the biggest move he wanted them to make (sign Drew Brees)

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Thought...

Kelly NFL = Saban NFL?

That has yet to be determined, but it's a possibility.

Saban basically admitted after the national championship that his time in Miami was a mistake, and that he's best suited for the college game. I knew he wasn't coming back after those comments. I can't believe he basically admitted that he can't do it in the nfl.

I still think Kelly can coach in the NFL. I'm of the belief that he needs to take a pro style offense, with some spread capabilities, and speed it up.

I'm not a huge believer in zone-read at the NFL level, and I'm laughing at everybody overreacting to Colin Kaepernick beating Green Bay's atrocious defense on one play. Don't tell me zone read is the new thing until zone read wins a super bowl. I've also chuckled at media people saying the traditional drop-back pocket QB will become a thing of the past. Yeah, only 3 of the 4 QB's playing this weekend are 100% traditional, drop-back pocket QB's. Durrrrrrr.

They're harder to find, but if you have one, you wouldn't trade one for the world. Those guys are less likely to get hurt as well, which won't de-rail your season.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're right it is.

The Browns had high interest in him. They thought he was going to be a great coach. They set up a second interview. He then stood them up for the second interview and then they left because they didn't want a flake as a head coach.

But no, it's because Joe Banner or the bogeyman or something, right?

I doubt we ever know the truth about it. And I'll be honest, I don't care what Kinda business you run, you don't always get your first choice (if indeed Kelly was our first choice)

I'm happy with the Chud hire so frankly, I couldn't care less.

I agree, i liked watching the Ducks, will miss him in college, and i give props to Haslam for "thinking different" BUT we know what Chud can do-hell, he got Anderson to the Pro Bowl-the PRO BOWL!! He will most likely get to the Hall of Fame just for that...! Go Browns!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

added Barry Switzer on the list later (he may have won a SB w/ Jimmy's team, but he still won a SB).

I get that you made your point and technically answered the question, but when your two best examples are a guy that started coaching over 70 years ago and another guy that inherited a dream team... it's still not making a real strong case..

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

I get that you made your point and technically answered the question, but when your two best examples are a guy that started coaching over 70 years ago and another guy that inherited a dream team... it's still not making a real strong case..

my other point was that there is no counter example. I couldn't find a single guy who failed given his parameters (no professional experience before NFL HC job).

i'm sure i am missing someone from back-in-the-day, but this type of hire just doesn't even happen nowadays.

and, if you take out the dream-team Switzer, then you are down to Paul Brown and Jimmy Johnson. 2 of the most successful HC's in NFL history (though JJ for only a brief time).

#gmstrong
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
aha, i did miss one guy. Dennis Erickson. he did make Seattle relevant going 8-8,7-9,8-8, 8-8 when the team was 14-34 in the 3 seasons before his arrival though.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
web page Looks like Gus Bradley is the new Jacksonville coach

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

aha, i did miss one guy. Dennis Erickson. he did make Seattle relevant going 8-8,7-9,8-8, 8-8 when the team was 14-34 in the 3 seasons before his arrival though.

As bad as the Browns have been, if a guy came here for 4 years and we never got over .500, would you consider that "successful"? and then after he left we stayed around .500 for 4 more years so it's not like he was building something great and just got cut short.. and then Erickson went on to accomplish what? a few more bad years in San Fran.. no, by the power vested in me, I am not allowing you to call him successful.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wonder where this leaves Mel Tucker. Does he stay as Jax DC? Does his style mesh with Bradley's defensive philosophy?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wonder where this leaves Mel Tucker. Does he stay as Jax DC? Does his style mesh with Bradley's defensive philosophy?

If Tucker has the option and can make it work, he should stay. Bradley is given a lot of credit for finding some of the defensive talent that has made Seattle so good over the last couple years in addition to coaching them up..... he could really make Tucker look good.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
So there are 2 spots still open, those being San Diego and Arizona, right?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

So there are 2 spots still open, those being San Diego and Arizona, right?

SD hired Mike McCoy.

Arizona is the only holdout and they are said to want Greg Roman (SF OC)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That's right. How could I forget about McCoy?

Man ... way too many openings this year.

So Arizona is the last potential seat in this year's coaching musical chairs.

I know that it was reported that they just interviewed Arians and Bevell from Seattle ...... and they very may be waiting for Roman.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
here's the current list:

Cardinals - Ray Horton (DC - Arizona)? Darrell Bevell (OC - Seattle)? Bruce Arians? waiting on playoff team co-ordinator (Roman)?

everything else is filled:
Chiefs - Andy Reid
Bills - Doug Marrone
Browns - Rob Chudzinski
Bears - Marc Trestman
Chargers - Mike McCoy
Eagles - Chip Kelly
Jaguars - Gus Bradley

=========================

It seems like everyone did a decent job filling their spots this year. The two biggest questions are Chip (college to pro transition + style, etc.) and Trestman (he deserved a HC shot, but that was 10yrs ago - does he still have it?).

Just as big of a question is who people get to fill out their staffs. Chiefs retaining much of their defense w/ Jets LBer coach as DC. Will SD retain Pagano and staff? Jags w/ Tucker? Cards w/ Horton? Almost all offensive staffs have been rooted out of most teams.

Norv and Lovie are the 2 hottest names for co-ordinators. We are reportedly getting Norv, but Lovie hasn't been linked (to anything actually other than getting a SD interview).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So Arizona is the last potential seat in this year's coaching musical chairs.

Well, yes, that's correct, assuming Chip Kelly doesn't change his mind again LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

If former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith fails to land a head-coaching job elsewhere, he's prepared to sit out the 2013 season because he's not interested in any of the coordinator jobs, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Link

I don't think anyone wants Lovie Smith and his old fashioned defense.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

If former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith fails to land a head-coaching job elsewhere, he's prepared to sit out the 2013 season because he's not interested in any of the coordinator jobs, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Link

Yeah... you're right. Who would want a top-5 defense in both yards and points per game.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Link

Yeah... you're right. Who would want a top-5 defense in both yards and points per game.

That's the product of two things,, the scheme and the players.. great scheme, lousy players mean bad D. But I get your point. Lovie is a pretty find D coach.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Lovie Smith's Bears teams have been up and down from year to year.

Here are their rankings on defense, from 2004 to 1012, points and yards allowed:

13, 21
1, 2
3. 5
16, 28
16, 21
21, 17
4, 9
14, 17

The last 3 years, he has had Rod Marinelli as his DC. In his 1st 3 seasons, he had Ron Rivera as his DC. I think that he functioned as his own DC for 2 of the seasons in between them. (where they stunk)

The Bears had one good season on offense under Smith. (With Grossman at QB, of all things)

Other than that one year, they have been middle of the road to bad on offense.

The Bears had the following records under Lovie Smith:

5-11
11-5
13-3
7-9
9-7
7-9
11-5
8-8
10-6

After the year they went to the Super Bowl, the Bears went up and down every year. Every other year they were a .500 or below team.

He's a pretty average coach. I'm really not surprised that he didn't get any interviews.

Plus, the league is moving heavily to offense ..... so offensive coaches are going to see more opportunities until the pendulum swings back the other way, if it ever does. Coaches like Smith are relics.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Point is... there's nothing "old fashioned" about a top-5 defense (particularly these days where the NFL is doing everything in it's power to make the game a higher-scoring affair). Lovie Smith built one in Chicago. His schemes. His players.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's the product of two things,, the scheme and the players.. great scheme, lousy players mean bad D. But I get your point. Lovie is a pretty find D coach.

And teams that are looking for new coaches are usually doing so because they don't have the most talented players...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Plus, the league is moving heavily to offense ..... so offensive coaches are going to see more opportunities until the pendulum swings back the other way, if it ever does. Coaches like Smith are relics.

Lovie had good teams and bad teams in Chicago. All coaches do. The ones that last however, win a Superbowl or two along the way.

Belichick is an example of that. not all his teams have been good. Parcells is another one, Holmgren is another one.

Two of those guys are Defensive oriented guys. But your point is taken, the league is leaning towards high powered offenses because it's more fun to watch. I get it.

But Lovie Smith is a solid coach. He'll get another chance..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
I was mostly joking when I said that.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I was mostly joking when I said that.

My bad... must have missed the purple font.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Lifer,

It just hit me (as I sit here bored off my rear end) that your DT name could either be a tribute to your fandom or a sentence handed out by the football gods! I'm guessing it's both.

Now back to whatever the heck the topic of this thread is!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
CB... you nailed it! It is definitely both. Been more of a curse, of late, than a blessing. I've apologized NUMEROUS times to my son for passing the affliction on to him. It is what it is I suppose.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Source

Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has agreed in principle to become the next head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, two sources informed of the team's plans told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

The Cardinals met with Arians on Wednesday and Thursday. He was one of several candidates to replace former coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Arians assumed the Colts' head-coaching duties on an interim basis this season after head coach Chuck Pagano took a leave from the team while receiving treatment for leukemia.

The Cardinals' position was the final vacant NFL head-coaching job.

The Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles and San Diego Chargers have filled their coaching positions.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
this one slipped by me initially (not that we need an OC):

Quote:

Whisenhunt was introduced on Thursday as the offensive coordinator for new head coach Mike McCoy in San Diego.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-cardinals-hire-arians-022632052--nfl.html

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

this one slipped by me initially (not that we need an OC):

Quote:

Whisenhunt was introduced on Thursday as the offensive coordinator for new head coach Mike McCoy in San Diego.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-cardinals-hire-arians-022632052--nfl.html

I think a couple years as OC will do him good, and if he can turn around Rivers career then he'll have another job in no time...

Still think Pitt should of hired him instead of Tomlin.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pat Shurmur expected to join Chip Kelly’s staff in Philadelphia

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2013, 10:45 AM EST

Getty Images
Former Browns head coach Pat Shurmur is expected to join new Eagles head coach Chip Kelly’s coaching staff.

Shurmur is likely to become the Eagles’ offensive coordinator, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Shurmur and Kelly have very different offensive backgrounds, and questions could be raised about whether their two approaches to coaching offense can mesh. But it’s also to Kelly’s credit that he wants to bring in an experienced NFL coach who does things differently than he does. Kelly has said that he wouldn’t necessarily run the same kind of spread offense in the NFL that he ran at Oregon, and hiring Shurmur as offensive coordinator would be a strong indication that he wants to employ a more conventional approach in the pros.

Most of Shurmur’s NFL coaching career has been spent working for Andy Reid in Philadelphia. Shurmur was the Eagles’ tight ends coach from 1999 to 2001 and the quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Man, that seems like a complete and total mismatch.

Maybe Kelly is smarter then I thought, and wants to keep the established WCO in place ..... although Shurmur's version is less capable than Reid's, and less than impressive as far as I'm concerned. Who knows though .... maybe Kelly will get Shurmur to update his offense to this century.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pat Shurmur expected to join Chip Kelly’s staff in Philadelphia

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2013, 10:45 AM EST

Getty Images
Former Browns head coach Pat Shurmur is expected to join new Eagles head coach Chip Kelly’s coaching staff.

Shurmur is likely to become the Eagles’ offensive coordinator, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Shurmur and Kelly have very different offensive backgrounds, and questions could be raised about whether their two approaches to coaching offense can mesh. But it’s also to Kelly’s credit that he wants to bring in an experienced NFL coach who does things differently than he does. Kelly has said that he wouldn’t necessarily run the same kind of spread offense in the NFL that he ran at Oregon, and hiring Shurmur as offensive coordinator would be a strong indication that he wants to employ a more conventional approach in the pros.

Most of Shurmur’s NFL coaching career has been spent working for Andy Reid in Philadelphia. Shurmur was the Eagles’ tight ends coach from 1999 to 2001 and the quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Maybe we can work another trade with Philly! Send Weeden to Philly for their 1st or 2nd round pick and Nick Foles.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Something tells me Shurmur won't be calling plays.

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Maybe he's going to be the "opposite" play caller. What ever he says to do, they do the exact opposite. Might work...

oioioioi
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Other Team Coaching Hires

Link Copied to Clipboard