Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
I am a seminarian who originally planned to go into car design (industrial design at Cleve. Inst. of Art), so that is and will always be my first love...Maybe one day I will go back to art school and transfer.

GM released a new Corvette today, the 7th generation of the Chevrolet flagship model, which has been around since the end of the Korean conflict.

C7 Vette

It should do well, as the alleged rear-end problems (the car would drift back and forth at the back) are supposedly cured. It is around $50k, so it is competitive with a Shelby GT500.

The Europeans are on another level, however.

Go Browns!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

The Europeans are on another level, however.

I love my German cars, but for the price that is not true. What are you comparing this 50k Vette to that is European in that price range? Sure a Ferrari, Lamborghini, top of the line Audi, Porsche, or Mercedes will outperform the Vette or Shelby, but for the money no.

Now, I'm not a Vette guy, so if I were offered any performance car it that is somewhat within reason (exclude the million $+ cars like Bugatti and McLaren) I'd have to go with an Audi R8 GT Spyder; I am very bias towards Audi though. A close second would be a Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet. Being a Ford huge guy as well, a GT would be way up on my list too.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll keep my Aztek... don't think I could tailgate with any of them fancy things your talking about.. and where would I put my Keg and fishing poles, and girl friends

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well at least the keg and fishing poles can ride shotgun. The other thing you mentioned can probably just go in the trunk.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
Fair point.

The Ford GT is nice.

Vette looks like a Nissan in the C-pillar.

Go Browns!
R
Legend
Legend
R
Not a Vette guy, but that thing is beautiful.

May have to take the $50k I've set aside for my M3 and change course.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'd stick with the M3.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lmao ! I do like the sport cars, know nothing about them any more,My Pops raced and built the old cars, I built Harley' s and Jacked up pick ups... But now that I'm in my prime years ( 50"s ) I could appreciate a nice ride . And I'm not talking a hover round

R
Legend
Legend
R
Actually, been down that road before with the E46 model ... if you're familiar with BMW.

My mechanic and I were on a first name basis. Surprised they didn't send me a Christmas gift.

It was a love/hate thing. By far, the most amazing car I've ever driven. Pure joy from start to stop. Unless it was in the shop for another repair or the $125 oil changes.

So my comment was more joking than anything. Swore off BMW. Just not worth it. Cars are so expensive these days. And the maintenance is even more out of control. I'm amazed at the trend in housing prices vs. that of a car. In some parts of the country your car will cost as much as a third of the price of your house. Just makes almost zero sense to me. I keep thinking somethings got to give. But then the banks just extend the terms. Corvette? $50k? Sure we'll put you into a 9 year loan. Friggin' crazy.

Man, I have now derailed this thread. Sorry OP.

A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
I love Vettes, but I like E36 M3s and even the E30 M3 before that. 192 hp was a lot for such a small car, and it ran like an L98 Vette: 0-60 6.2, 14.4 quarter, 145-150 mph top speed.

Go Browns!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hear ya. its also love/hate when you love high performance cars because hey, you have to pay to play. I enjoy my 550rwhp GTO alot, but its a pig in weight and looks like a large cavalier. It helps the sleeper image alot I guess.

That said I would love a race car/sports car. I think a good deal right now is the Gen II Viper GTS (that would be 96-02 years in coupe). 450hp/490tq and its really easy to get these cars up to almost any power level you'd want.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Not super-familiar. Being facetious, really, because I'm not a Vette fan at all. I like fancy cars as much as the next guy, but my cars tend to get used in a pretty utilitarian fashion. Been putting my WRX through the ringer for the past 7 years and I've had very few issues. As much as I'm into the high-performance German engineering, I don't think I'd go down that road either.

R
Legend
Legend
R
WRX is a great car.

I heard that Subaru was coming out with some type of sequential gearbox transmission similar to what I had in my M3 ... no clutch on the floor, operated by a computer instead ... still have to shift but using paddles or the "shift knob" ... but drives like a race car and not a "normal" manual. And it's not an auto with tiptronic or whatever the hell they call it these days. It's a straight manual ... the driver just doesn't operate the clutch.

Would totally be interested in something like that from Subaru. I am a traditional manual guy, but the SMG transmission that I had in my M3 was so cool that I want my next car to have something similar. I know Volks makes something similar ... theirs is called DSG ... might go that direction. That type of driving is pure enjoyment for me.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I like the WRX a lot, except for the combination of fuel economy and needing premium.

Not sure I'd be into a manual with no clutch. I like the tactile feedback. I'm not going to knock until if/when I try it, though. I just haven't had a car without a clutch in my 16 years on the road.

I'll probably just hang onto the Subaru until I can afford a Nissan GT-R

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I'd stick with the M3.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I ever buy a Bimmer.

My girlfriend and best golf buddy have one. I've spent more time toying with everything that breaks on her car than I ever have with my Cobra. I mean seriously...if a Bimmer is not nearly as reliable as a Ford, there's a big problem. The cost of the parts are high, and I'm surprised by how often things are coming apart under the hood and with the interior. We visit our mechanic once a month. Damned good thing he's honest.

This'll be my last Ford, as I've gone through 3 Cobra's and one Saleen, but when I cut-bait, I won't be playing with any Bimmer's.

As for the Vette, I've never been a Vette guy. They are very unique and nice cars, and the build quality is sharp. This car does look sexy. Of course the first thing my girlfriend and I said was that Chevy is ripping off my dream car, the Sesto Elemento.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
F
Legend
Legend
F
Never understood the paddle shifting. Why not have automatic if your going to make it that effortless.

And shifting without using a foot clutch would seem wierd.

Still love my Mustang and it's going on 7 years now. But that is a nice looking Vette, just not practical for me.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Never understood the paddle shifting. Why not have automatic if your going to make it that effortless.

And shifting without using a foot clutch would seem wierd.

Still love my Mustang and it's going on 7 years now. But that is a nice looking Vette, just not practical for me.

I have a 2011 Camaro that is automatic and has paddles. (I don't know how to drive a stick) With the paddles I feel every bit like a race car driver which is something you can’t do if you drive and automatic.

I have only used the paddles a few times but then I get scared because I don’t want to break something lol.

Paddles are for the noobs like me who want to feel like you are a nascar driver.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

UPDATE 08/21/2012: The Lamborghini Sesto Elemento was on display at the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours where Lambo representatives have confirmed that the model is priced at a cool $2.2 million. Anyone lucky enough to scrap together enough cash will still be heartbroken when they hear that all 20 units have already been sold.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lamborghini/2013-lamborghini-sesto-elemento-ar109176.html

Legend
Legend
Not bad. I wouldn't get one, but not bad. If I'm going to pick a "muscle car" to buy, it would be the Dodge Challenger. I like how it's a visual copy of an classic muscle car with all the cool features of a 2013 version.

With all that being said, I already own a mid-life crisis vehicle - a 2009 Harley Street Bob. And with motorcycles, most women don't assume I'm trying to compensate for a "shortcoming".

If money were no object, which it ALWAYS is, I would buy one of the upcoming Bentley EXP 9 F's (Performance SUV).

I currently drive an Infinity FX35, so I like the sporty SUV look. I'd probably re-buy an FX (or EX) when the time comes, but they're so crappy on gas (mine get 17+ in the city - 22 highway).

I'm 2-3 years away, because I have a 2004 (don't you need to keep a purchased car past 10 years to really push past the cost of buying versus leasing one?).

I kinda like the Mini Cooper Countryman's. I don't know much about them other than they get WAY better gas mileage than most other mis-size SUVs.

Oh well...enough car talk.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The look of the new Vette is somewhat "Cadillac CTS-V had sex with a Nissan GTR". But i'll admit that it looks mean and I like it.

Base model does 0-60 in less than 4 seconds? What is the performance model going to do?

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Legend
Legend
The back looks like a Camaro and I envision trouble with that engine.

I think I'd rather have the Camaro at this point. ZL1 Ragtop.. Yeah baby....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Well I am a Vette fan....lol...I can tell you the taillights are stirring up a big ruckus as they are not round as they have been since 1953 (with a slight rounded squaring for the ZR-1 in the late 80's and early 90's)...But I can see that going by the way side much as the last C6 debut had the enclosed headlights.

I would not say the Europeans are heads above the Vette. In the price Range of the Base model you have...

the Porsche Cayman which can handle and is close acceleration wise because of it's small size...but to get there you have to have the R model which is stripped bare of any amenities. Not to mention any amenities added to any of the Cayman to bring it up to the Vette's base model would completely price it out of the competition.

the same things can be pretty much be said about the M3...

You telling me you would cross shop it with a Mercedes CLK or an Audi A5(S5 is out of the price range)

And when you go to the Z06 and ZR-1...there is not a better track car out there than the naturally aspirated Z06 and the ZR-1 outperforms cars twice as expensive

The big downfall of the Vettes was NEVER performance. But it was the interior. This car supposedly has corrected that...interior shots are promising. We shall see how the seats perform as their lack of bolstering was the largest complaint in prior years.

Personally I like this car. I will most likely be shopping for one. If the engine can deliver in reliability....it should be a BEAST. The biggest thing everyone is ignoring is that they have a torque curve that is giving better numbers than the LS7 in the current Z06. I think they have a Base model that will deliver performance that is close to or possibly surpassing the current Z06 due to frame modifications, and improved torque numbers despite having slightly less hp numbers...

This car could be a big gun in the sports car world...

Oh and Toad.......I don't see it....lol

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Not sure I'd be into a manual with no clutch. I like the tactile feedback. I'm not going to knock until if/when I try it, though. I just haven't had a car without a clutch in my 16 years on the road.

I know what you mean. I once thought the same thing. But like you said, don't knock it until you try it. They are still manual transmissions ... and you still get that manual feel ... you're just clicking a paddle or tapping a stick ... and your left leg gets to rest. But the acceleration, the feel of manual when it's telling you it's time to shift ... running up to redline ... downshifting to make a pass ... will feel just like your subaru.

Like I said, I was just like you but I grew to love that SMG transmission ... plus, I love driving with my hands on 10 and 2 anyway ... especially on the highway ... feel I can manuever better that way ... and with the paddles there, it just made upshifting and downshifting a breeze ... and FAST. Can't shift faster than that.

Again, I cannot stress enough ... these are not auto transmissions with tip tronic ... these are manual transmissions. You seem like a car guy. I think you'd like it.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
It's a Corvette...I'll take 10! Love me some 'Vettes!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Not a huge car guy but I know enough to be dangerous.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Wow, I'm surprised that those manual'ish transmissions are getting love. I'll have to check it out as I'm honestly curious now.

I've sworn that my next car will be a true manual, though. If I'm not making regular trips down to Mexico for work, I definitely wouldn't mind shelling out for a nice, fast car. Something along the lines of an M3 that doesn't require frequent trips to the mechanic.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
j/c
Quote:

Wow, I'm surprised that those manual'ish transmissions are getting love. I'll have to check it out as I'm honestly curious now.

I've sworn that my next car will be a true manual, though. If I'm not making regular trips down to Mexico for work, I definitely wouldn't mind shelling out for a nice, fast car. Something along the lines of an M3 that doesn't require frequent trips to the mechanic.

I love cars. I am at seminary right now--what a joke--but am hoping to leave in may and go back to my old job as a weekly writer. Eventually, I hope to land a job with an auto mag or if that doesn't work, break into pro football somewhere as a writer...:)

All this car talk is inspiring me

Go Browns!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... New Corvette unveiled! C7 model.

Link Copied to Clipboard