Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#749310 01/19/13 11:05 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Starting a new one since the 1st will be closed soon and looking at Lombardi's "opinions" of past drafts:

2012 NFL Draft Grades: Michael Lombardi And NFL Network Give The Bengals An "A"

Here's the video to it: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d828b8f6d/2012-NFL-Draft-grades-AFC-North?module=HP11_cp

2012:

Applauding Bengals owner Mike Brown is a relatively new phenomenon. But given the success of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Carson Palmer trade which left the Bengals with a first round pick in 2012 and a second round pick in 2013, and now a masterful draft in 2012; experts can't help but congratulate Brown on a job well done. One of the most recent to do so is Michael Lombardi of NFL Network. Lombardi, commending Brown's work at the draft this past weekend, says:

Mike Brown, you know, is usually very stoic and doesn't do a lot of things. But this time he made a trade, which is remarkable.

Lombardi goes on to say that he agrees with every single selection the Bengals made, and that they've improved themselves as a playoff team moving forward. He says, "I think they had a hit pretty much all the way you go through it".

Each of the analysts then discuss one of the four AFC North teams, and how they improved themselves through the draft. The Browns traded up for the top running back prospect since Adrian Peterson in Trent Richardson, the Steelers shored up the offensive line with David DeCastro and Mike Adams, and the Ravens found a young, talented linebacker in Courtney Upshaw. But it is the Bengals who, again, receive the (tied) top grade of the AFC North and another compliment from Michael Lombardi: "My hats off to Mike Brown".

Cincinnati Bengals: A

Pittsburgh Steelers: A

Baltimore Ravens: C

Cleveland Browns: C
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So he gave the Browns and Ravens a C and the other 2 an A. More Mel Kiper board stuff here. Guy has no clue about in deoth player evaluation. He's just a weather vane of "expert opinions", sine everyone and their moms applauded the Bengals and Steelers "value drafts" and trashed the Browns for "overdrafts" such as Weede, Hughes, Schwartz or Gordon

Now I know that 1 year doesn't make or break a draft class, but let's look closer, will we?

Bengals:

17 CB Kirkpatrick....DNP much, injury
27 G Zeitler...best pick, but it was a "safe" G
53 DT Still....Winn had more impact than Still and Thompson combined, so much for this "value"
83 WR Sanu...16 catches and 4 TDs, injury. Is a Greg Little clone, so very good value here
93 DT Thompson....see Still, did even less
116 TE O.Charles....8 catches, was supposed to be a top 2 round guy, so much for this "falling" value
156 CB Prater....DNP, IR in August
166 WR Jones...18 catches, 201yds, 1 TD in 5 starts. Ok value I guess, Benji did the same though AND is a returner
167 S Iloka...deemed a Top 100 prospect, couldn't sniff the field despite glaring S need. Gipson did more
191 RB D.Herron...4 carries for 5yds...yeah

Does this look like an A to you now? Not to me. Our class did MUCH more. Lombardi said they HIT with all of their picks and did a GREAT job, quality AND depth...just saying

Pittsburgh:

24 G DeCastro....bum, got injured twice because he's a bum that got pushed back into another OL. First in preseason by Dareus or Kyle Williams and then against us by Rubin or Taylor....he was worse than Greco, Lauvao or Pinky. Great value, lol and half the board wanted to draft this bum over Weeden....I know who you are
56 OT Adams...loved his first snap as a starter. Got Roethli sacked and fumbled the ball. Inconsistent as advertised....good luck with an inconsistent OT that "flashes", lol...he got owned and injured to in the loss against us, lol Schwartz is MUCH better than this guy...not even close
86 LB Spence....DNP IR, probably career ending
104 NT Ta'amu...the "next Hampton", lol Got famous for running from cops shirtless after an accident. Anotehr great value
159 RB Rainey....nice helicopter fumble against us, now fired because he's a jerk
231 WR Clemons....got cut, PS
240 TE Paulson...7 catches for 51yds...probably the best production of this class, lol
246 CB Frederick...cut
248 G/T Beachum...should be re-named BeachBum...was forced to play at RT and got eaten alive at every opportunity

Yeah Mikey, that's how an A draft looks like

Newsome and Baltimore got 2 VERY SOLID day 1 starters at picks 35 and 60 with LB C.Upshaw and OT Osemele and a pretty good looking backup RB i to Rice in B.Pierce at 84th overall (532yds, 4.9ypc), they out-drafted both the Bengals and Steelers despite having worse picks to work with

Our draft is debatable but is still MUCH better than the Steelers one and can easily hold their own compared to the Bengals. Winn+Hughes played better than the 2 DTs the Bengals selected MUCH higher and I didn't see them have a better QB in the 2 games we played against. Schwartz and Zeitler are almost a wash but I give us the edge because A) Schwartz is an OT and OT have more value than Gs and B) he was picked later, so better value. TRich and Kirkpatrick are injury/incomplete washes. Benji and M.Jones washes at WR, although I give them the edge long term becaue Jones can be an outside WR, but otoh Benji can become a good Returner, so wash here too. JMJ vs O.Charles a "meh" wash, Prater vs Miller a DNP wash. Both drafts look more like a B to me, not A and C

Looks like Mike Lombardi got it all wrong yet again...

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Starting a new one since the 1st will be closed soon and looking at Lombardi's "opinions" of past drafts:
Newsome and Baltimore got 2 VERY SOLID day 1 starters at picks 35 and 60 .

Too bad we couldnt get Oz. Now there's what a talented GM looks like. Steal him back. I think thats fair-makes up for Modell.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
I'm not going to argue a lot about grades ...... but I look at your comments on the Bengals, and they had Geno Atkins at DT as a pass rusher, and Peko as a run stuffer, they didn't have a huge need at DT. They brought in guys to be backups, but didn't need them to start right away.

DeCastro was a consensus top draft pick who slipped in the draft ... presumably because Guards don't go high. Every single "draft expert" had him at the top end of the draft. Again, I'm not going to hold a pick like that against someone. He was supposed to be a dominant Guard. Taking him at the bottom of the first round was a solid pick.

As far as the Ravens, generally speaking, 1-3 round OL are pretty safe picks.

The bottom line as far as drafts with other teams in our division is that they are veteran teams, challenging for the playoffs. They have most of their issues settled. We don't. We need impact players to push the talent we have over the top. The other teams in our division are able to draft for depth, or to fill a particular spot or 2. We need to find starters. We do have some guys starting who are NFL average (or close) ...... and we have guys who are below to well below NFL average. We really have no superstar players.

I'm not going to defend the hire of Lombardi, because frankly it scares the crap out of me. However, the bottom line is that a team at the bottom has to do far more to catch up to good teams ahead of them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Not supporting Lombardi but alot of folks thought the Bengals had an "A" draft. Some "draft experts" had Still and Sanu as first round selections.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Not supporting Lombardi but alot of folks thought the Bengals had an "A" draft. Some "draft experts" had Still and Sanu as first round selections.

I acknowledged that...but those "experts" are wrong as much as we are on here. The Steelers in particular can't do no wrong. I was the only one fist bumping when they took Mendenhall and that Texas WR, who's name I already forgot in round 2...the expert were all over this draft too.
Steelers drafts have been sucking for years now.....bad value and players, especially in the top rounds (Hood? DeCastro? Mendenhall? Worilds? Gilbert?)...their drafts have gone south since 2008 and the product on the field is starting to show it..they can thank heaven for Roethli and Miller, who are their complete Offense and Pola and LeBeau, who are their D

I don't care where DeCastro was "slated" to go by some internet draftniks. That's why every FO has their own board and evaluation process. DeCastro never "fell"...that was his worth, since nobody else before that pick took him and it was a mistake. He only "fell" according to the board's of Kiper and co...bottom line is: Zeitler was a MUCH better player, so are Schwartz and Osemele. The Steelers blew it and with them MrLombardi, who once again was exposed as a weather vane and not an in depth scouting guy

My fear is that our "scouting" has gone from in-depth scouting from Heckert to "youtube" and "consenus draftnik big board's" scouting (which, needless to say, isn't scouting at all)

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Hindsight...

Arps #749316 01/19/13 12:40 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I seem to remember DJ having these same (or similar) thoughts at that time. I bet he could drudge those up if you promised him a 6 pack.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
jc

If we had a 2012 NFL re-draft, RG3, Luck, and Russell Wilson would be locked into the top 3 in some order, TRich would fall out of the first round, and someone would take a mid-late round flyer on Weeden.

The second round picks look good though.

Arps #749318 01/19/13 01:00 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Hindsight...

You DO realize that I'm comapring draft classes from the same year, do you?

So if I did that with the 2010 draft too, with the players 3 years in the league, it would be hindsight too? Lombardi is infallible? I fail to see your "argument" in this comment...enlighten me

All I know is that he had the AFC North pretty much buttocks-backwards as the Steelers draft was easily the worst with little to no contribution, yet HE (not me) gave them an A...what's hindsight about that? It's FACT...he LOVED their draft and it looks like crap after 1 season already. That's bad enough evaluation on his own...but he was pretty much WRONG on the other 3 with his grades too. That's just horrible. If he thinks that reading Kiper's, Mayock's and cbs's rankings and "evaluating" off those is all there is to "scouting" than he's a poser and not a GM type guy

I've heard this guy talk often enough about prospects. He ALWAYS had already PRE-determined opinions on specs...where do they come from? Scout chatter here, rankings there...he himslef though? Zero clue....might as well hired Mayock or Kiper himself...or me, because I don't do much more, but at least I don't outsmart myself when I pick...and I don't get paid for it...if I would I would sit in front of a TV 24/7, guaranteed. This guy though? He's a pompous "insert word here", who likes the spotlight and playing Madden-GM without the work needed to be done

C
Legend
Legend
C
I thought it was a known fact that post draft grades are a futile attempt at judging something that cannot be judged. Most people don't want to write them, but are asked/forced to by their editors.

Also, I don't get how you can fault a guy for not knowing a player will be injured.

cfrs15 #749320 01/19/13 01:08 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Also, I don't get how you can fault a guy for not knowing a player will be injured.

Oh, there's the next DeCastro pimp

In DeCastro's case he can be faulted for it. Why? Because he got injured TWICE because he SUCKED and got pushed backwards dominated by a DL and tripped over his own guy or have to reach back for strength they don't have (eitehr because they dont have it or play wiht bad technique) and tore something. Remember when we had a crappy OL? We always had injuries to our OL...Strange that Thomas, Mack, Lauvao and Schwartz have played EVERY snap since being inserted isn't it? Pinkston was all health related....good OL have less injuries than bad ones....everyone knows that. So the short answer here is: he got injured because he played badly andgot owned. 300p bodies aren't supposed to be pushed backwards and stumble over each other...bad things happen to those bodies, when that happens constantly

cfrs15 #749321 01/19/13 01:14 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I thought it was a known fact that post draft grades are a futile attempt at judging something that cannot be judged. Most people don't want to write them, but are asked/forced to by their editors.

Yes but the real meat of this matter is do your pre-draft grades EVEN RESEMBLE your post draft realities. In this guy's case many people are stating that they do not.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Prior to the draft there was a consensus that DeCastro was one of the best guards and among the safest picks in the draft.

Of course, we all know that you had him as a 7th round pick.

cfrs15 #749323 01/19/13 01:25 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Prior to the draft there was a consensus that DeCastro was one of the best guards and among the safest picks in the draft.

Of course, we all know that you had him as a 7th round pick.

And when i say "this guy" i mean Lombardi. (Jeez it's so WRONG he has that name...)

dawg531 #749324 01/19/13 01:44 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would like to see a more comprehensive look at his draft analysis (pre and post) before I make any judgments on him based on the few things I have found/seen.

Looking at how he graded two teams post draft is not a good way to show if this guy is competent or not. Many would agree that the players drafted in 2012 should not be graded immediately and ideally we should wait three years before judging them.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm really surprised you don't like Lombardi:

Quote:

I was a Blaine Gabbert fan before the draft and feel he will give the Jaguars a bright future. The vision the Jaguars used in making this pick should be commended as long as their (and my) evaluation was correct. Gabbert loves football. He will prepare for the game and push David Garrard for the starting job. Garrard is a good player, but his passion for football has been questioned at times.

Link

Legend
Legend
I can't and will not defend Lombardi for anything

But I try to be fair.

You are looking at this after the fact, he viewed it before any of them played a down in the NFL.

But I get your point.

What he said yesterday is that when in the media, you look at things differently. I think that's the way he put it. But I took that to mean something different.

The media doesn't get headlines if they play it safe. They have to go with stirring things up. I firmly believe that media types rarely actually believe what they say. They say what they think will sell papers or radio/tv advertising.

But of course, he can't say that in a room full of media types because, let's face it, when he falls flat on his face here, his only job will be in the media again so he can't tell that tale.

Does that mean he'll be a better GM then we think he will? well, I don't think so.. But what the hell do I know.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #749327 01/19/13 02:07 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
The only thing we can do is wait and see. I refuse to judge a person until they have shown me I cannot trust them.

Lombardi said he has changed, he hasn't made one move to show us if that is true or not. I will not hold articles that he wrote against him (good or bad). If we did that to everyone in the media no one would have any credibility.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
The Ravens are the gold standard in the AFC North now.

every year Newsome finds in the draft a couple players that right away can play and
succeed at a high level. Not just starters,but huge contributors.

They draft so well,they can afford to release a Sergio Kindle who was a 1st RD pick.

They suffered big time injuries to Suggs, Lewis, Webb and as of today are in the AFC Title Game. Very few teams can overcome the magnitude of those stalwarts and still win.

and the Ravens always seem to find a gem or 2 in FA. This year its Jacoby Jones and Bobbie Williams. Proof you don't have to overpay in FA to find solid starters and playmakers.

The Bengals drafts have been on point in the last 3-4 years. when you make the playoffs 3 of 4 years,that means you are drafting well.

A.J Green,Jermaine Gresham and Kevin Zeitler were no brainers.

But the Bengals hit homeruns in the 2nd RD and on. Dunlap, Johnson,Atkins.
and their 2012 mid RD picks showed you glimpses of talent. Sanu..who averaged
a TD every 4 catches.
and then they found 2 starters undrafted Burfict and Robinson.
and now they have the Raiders 2nd RD pick this year plus 55 mil under the cap.

The Steelers need to get some impact from their 1st and 2nd RD picks.
They have faired well in the mid RDs and later Allen, Wallace, Lewis, Brown.
But their 2012 Draft did not go as planned.

Adams and DeCastro IR most of the year. Rainey cut. that DT was arrested and is on the practice squad now. For a franchise that prided itself on drafting character guys,well its certainally not the case anymore.
this is a team that has gotten old and their draft picks in the high RDs aren't coming along as planned.
Hood and Worlids haven't been anything special. Mendenhall is on his way out.
and now they are in cap hell.

Now Lombardi has to figure out how to get past a aging Steelers team,a young up and coming team like the Bengals and the team in the midst of a SB run.
Lombardi has to do what Heckert failed to do and thats find 1st RDers that can play at a high level right away and some mid RD gems with 1st RD talent.

The way Heckert was building this it would taken the Browns 2-3 from this point years to even reach 8-8. It was evident that his and Holmgren's plan wasn't going to work.

Lombardi had to hit homeruns. Not just one,but several in order to close the gap.
Lombardi needs to out draft the rest of the AFC North. and good drafts won't cut it..he needs great drafts.

and Lombardi needs to be active in FA and not avoid it like the plague like Heckert did.
the Browns can close the gap if they hit homeruns and find some under 30 impact starters in free agency.

and Heckerts 2011 Draft Picks like Sheard and Little need to start playing at All Pro levels.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It's always great when people bring up the same points over and over and over and over and over even though they have been proven wrong multiple times.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I acknowledged that...but those "experts" are wrong as much as we are on here. The Steelers in particular can't do no wrong. I was the only one fist bumping when they took Mendenhall and that Texas WR, who's name I already forgot in round 2

Which proves why grading a 1st year draft is lunacy.

Guys like Dumbardi are PAID to do that. Otherwise they probably wouldn't to the degree they do.

I don't like Dumbardi. Haven't for years. DeepThreat and I used to talk about him several years ago. But taking him to task for being a talking head and grading a draft in the same year doesn't do anything for anyone's case.

Now if you go back to his days before this year you'll get a better picture of his failures.

And for the record, anyone placing any responsibility on him for what the Raiders did are badly mistaken and badly misinformed. Al Davis ran the Raiders. All those draft picks are his. It was his toy, his team, his organization. He ran it his way. People can no more pin the moves of the Raiders on Dumbardi than they can pin the moves of the Cowboys on Stephen Jones.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #749331 01/19/13 02:54 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Childish, immature nicknames are fun!

cfrs15 #749332 01/19/13 03:31 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
We need to save these threads to look back on. The panic and over reaction is hilarious.

Arps #749333 01/19/13 03:35 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree. Also, I believe someone said that they wouldn't pee on Lombardi if he was on fire. Awesome.

cfrs15 #749334 01/19/13 03:44 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Childish, immature nicknames are fun!

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #749335 01/19/13 03:52 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't know how someone as young as you would understand that reference.

cfrs15 #749336 01/19/13 03:56 PM
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
I'm glad this guy isn't our GM...

Seattle Seahawks should sit Russell Wilson and play Matt Flynn

...oh wait

invnobody #749337 01/19/13 03:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...oh wait

This is the guy who is going to pass judgement on Weedens future

Joe Thomas #73
invnobody #749338 01/19/13 03:59 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

...oh wait

He isn't our GM, he's our VP of Player Personnel.

As good as Russell Wilson has done, it's still not an indictment of Lombardi. Right now, nobody knows what Matt Flynn would do.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
That article was also published on October 2nd, after four weeks of the season. Wilson in those four weeks was wholly unremarkable, with 594 passing yards at 60% and 5.94 YPA, 4 TDs and 4 picks. The biggest reason he was on most people's radars was because of the ending of the Packers game on national television.

His biggest point was that their passing game was not great with Wilson at QB. At the time, that was an absolutely correct assertion. And then he improved. Not tremendously, but a pretty good amount.

I don't see any issue at all with suggesting that a team who spent a decent chunk of money on a pocket-passer QB only to put him on the bench and who's offense was struggling in the passing game may want to find out if said QB could help improve their passing game. Carroll opted not to, and it worked out pretty well for him. That doesn't mean that had he put in Flynn that he would've failed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i'm still at odds with this crap..usually I wait ,but not this time..this was a joke..Banner 's going on two freaking years the Eagles draft was good ,then they had to fire Lombardo..
He's so smug about this because he knows no one wanted him.. The only thing going for him..he knows the contraversie ,he knows the media doesn't want him here,Haslam knows it too..so IT HAS TO WORK, or the backlash will be just as bad as when Bernie was jettisoned out of here.
And I'm very ticked about this..

C
Legend
Legend
C
People are acting like Banner wants to fail.

Joe Banner was sent to Cleveland by God to ensure the cities sports fans continue to suffer.

OverToad #749342 01/19/13 04:58 PM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

I acknowledged that...but those "experts" are wrong as much as we are on here. The Steelers in particular can't do no wrong. I was the only one fist bumping when they took Mendenhall and that Texas WR, who's name I already forgot in round 2

Which proves why grading a 1st year draft is lunacy.

Guys like Dumbardi are PAID to do that. Otherwise they probably wouldn't to the degree they do.

I don't like Dumbardi. Haven't for years. DeepThreat and I used to talk about him several years ago. But taking him to task for being a talking head and grading a draft in the same year doesn't do anything for anyone's case.

Now if you go back to his days before this year you'll get a better picture of his failures.

And for the record, anyone placing any responsibility on him for what the Raiders did are badly mistaken and badly misinformed. Al Davis ran the Raiders. All those draft picks are his. It was his toy, his team, his organization. He ran it his way. People can no more pin the moves of the Raiders on Dumbardi than they can pin the moves of the Cowboys on Stephen Jones.

Grading a 1st year draft IS lunacy. Even a 2nd year to an extent.

Raiders? You bet Davis ran that show. Lombardi was nothing more than another Voice there. And he'll be nothing more than another Voice here.

Lombardi IS NOT the GM of this team people. He WILL NOT have final say on ANYTHING.

If something goes wrong with this you can bet your ass Haslam will throw him out the door as fast as he will Banner.

You guys freaking out need to relax. And I don't care what he's said on the Network. He didn't have a Scouting Team behind him. Now he does.

Let it roll and we'll see what happens.

All I know is we have 2 of the BEST Coordinators in the NFL right here in Cleveland. And we are on our way. Lombardi or no Lombardi.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

i'm still at odds with this crap..usually I wait ,but not this time..this was a joke..Banner 's going on two freaking years the Eagles draft was good ,then they had to fire Lombardo..
He's so smug about this because he knows no one wanted him.. The only thing going for him..he knows the contraversie ,he knows the media doesn't want him here,Haslam knows it too..so IT HAS TO WORK, or the backlash will be just as bad as when Bernie was jettisoned out of here.

You need to take a pill sir.

Lombardi is nothing more than another voice. Nothing more.

You guys need to get a grip.

kwhip #749344 01/19/13 05:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Stop with the sanity! You're going to ruin the board!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
Legend
Legend
S
As far as Lombardi goes. He needs to:

1. Evaluate our scouts, and if he thinks they aren't the best possible people that we can bring in, then go ahead and bring in the guys you think are best for the job.

2. Let them do their jobs.

Boom, done.

kwhip #749346 01/19/13 06:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

You need to take a pill sir.

Lombardi is nothing more than another voice. Nothing more.

You guys need to get a grip.

Unlike some in here ..I hsve a grip and I understand all too well what failure means..everywhere ML has been he's failed.

Legend
Legend
The biggest part of Lombardi's job should be gaining consensus among the scouts for which players are the best, and best fit the Browns. He should look for elite level players at #6, regardless of position ... that fit our schemes.

I think that he should be like the clearing house for the rest of the front office/coaches. When they ask which players the scouts have at a certain position, he should be able to give the scouts' rankings, and the reasons for those rankings. It's hard to do, but he should remove his ego from the equation.

Then, as you say, he should evaluate the scouts. Which guys consistently deliver accurate assessments, and which have their higher rated players flop.

Then he can plan on how to replace poorly performing scouts.

Frankly, I would not replace a scout who goes against the grain on players from time to time, because even if that scout is wrong, he is probably looking at players with a far more critical eye than others might. However, if a scout is so far out that he is completely wrong, then he needs to go.

Lombardi should also work with the pro personnel people to prioritize and rank free agents based on team needs that have been determined in consultation with the coaching staff.

If he can do that, then he can be successful. If he wants to be the voice, then there is a TV show by that name that he might want to try out for.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Getting Chud, Norv and Horton with Lombardi is like having a steak, beer and pizza with a turd on the side.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The Cleveland Browns received a lot of vocal support around the NFL for hiring Michael Lombardi to be the organization's vice president of player personnel.

Here's what a few supporters had to say:

Colts head coach Chuck Pagano: “I have known Mike for a long time. He is a football man through and through. He knows the game and personnel. I know he is back doing what he loves to do and will be a tremendous asset to the Browns organization. They got a good man. I am excited for Mike and his family and wish him well as he embarks on this new journey.”

Lions head coach Jim Schwartz: “Michael is one of the hardest working people I've ever met in the NFL. He has an encyclopedia-type knowledge of NFL and college personnel and can speak on any player in the league without looking at notes. I first worked with Michael in Cleveland from 1993-95. Along with Coach (Bill) Belichick, Michael developed a system of evaluating and developing players that is still used by a number of teams. Michael has also shown a commitment in continuing to develop and improve that system over the years. I have confidence that Michael will be an important part of the management team that will make the Browns a winner.”

Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon: “Going back to when we were together in Oakland, there was a handful of people in that building that I thought were really ultimately responsible for our success. We won AFC West titles, went to AFC Championship games and to the Super Bowl, and one of those guys was Mike Lombardi. He was a guy that I really relied on, really leaned on. I was always kind of drawn to him out on the practice field or in the building. I would ask him a lot of questions. He was great at advanced scouting and giving me a breakdown of the upcoming opponent, what the issues were, what the concerns, what our strengths would be against some of their weaknesses and things like that. He’s always been a football guy. Even when Mike left the business and started doing television, he never really got away from evaluating talent. He was always watching tape, he was always studying film and he was always studying teams.”

Former NFL DB and TV analyst Mike Mayock: “From my perspective, what stands out most about Michael is his intelligence. Regardless of the endeavor he has been involved with, he has always shown a high level of intelligence and intuitiveness about his project. Secondly, I think there is a process with Mike – he defines it and then he follows through on it. I think that is really important in the overall evaluation of rookies and pros at whatever level in football. Finally, at his core I think he is a true evaluator. That is what that position demands more than anything – somebody that can evaluate at the college level, at the pro level, at the free agent level and integrate all of those facets into one comprehensive program. I think Mike Lombardi can do all of that."

Link

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lombardi pt2

Link Copied to Clipboard