Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
cfrs15 #749350 01/19/13 06:25 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Childish, immature nicknames are fun!

It seems like being the board monitor must be fun too. You're not a Ref so get over yourself already. Nobody needs some poster trying to critique everyone on the board.

Get a clue....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad this guy isn't our GM...

Seattle Seahawks should sit Russell Wilson and play Matt Flynn

...oh wait

He isn't our GM, he's our VP of Player Personnel.

As good as Russell Wilson has done, it's still not an indictment of Lombardi. Right now, nobody knows what Matt Flynn would do.

Yeah I've been seeing a lot of that. From the looks of it, some posters wouldn't go against anything H&H do including setting their mom on fire!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Lombardi should also work with the pro personnel people to prioritize and rank free agents based on team needs that have been determined in consultation with the coaching staff.

This article was written on January 5th, 2013:

Quote:

If it’s Lombardi, Caplan said he’s been preparing for the job.

“Source said he has been working on free agency targets for the Browns,” Caplan tweeted.

Link

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i'm still at odds with this crap..usually I wait ,but not this time..this was a joke..Banner 's going on two freaking years the Eagles draft was good ,then they had to fire Lombardo..
He's so smug about this because he knows no one wanted him.. The only thing going for him..he knows the contraversie ,he knows the media doesn't want him here,Haslam knows it too..so IT HAS TO WORK, or the backlash will be just as bad as when Bernie was jettisoned out of here.
And I'm very ticked about this..

You need to take a pill sir.

Lombardi is nothing more than another voice. Nothing more.

You guys need to get a grip.

Unlike some in here ..I hsve a grip and I understand all too well what failure means..everywhere ML has been he's failed.

Yeah I'm seeing a pattern here. It seems as though some of these guys would be fine with a surgeon with a very poor record doing major surgery on them. I mean heck, let's give this guy a chance even though he's had little to no success, right?

They wouldn't look at his body of work thus far to determine they wouldn't trust him to do surgery on their dog.

What are they missing? Don't they know that's what personnel guys do when they draft? They have to determine how a player will play in the NFL having not played a down in the NFL so far.

So that's going to be his job but it'sd not fair to grade him on that?

They don't seem to get, or be concerned with the fact that if he botches a couple of drafts, that it will take a couple of more drafts just to get back to even. That's four more years.

But hey, let's just uphold the move and "wait and see". There are so many fence riders here. ie..... Well we don't really support the move but we're willing to give it a shot in "fairness". When you hire someone for such a high position, you look at their resume', not about "fairness".

When did the business world concentrate more on "Fairness" than "proven results"? It hasn't, it doesn't and it won't. But let's just stay in imagination land where we pretend it's not supposed to work that way.

#gmstrong
BADdog #749354 01/19/13 06:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

...oh wait

This is the guy who is going to pass judgement on Weedens future

I have no doubt that the guys that will pass judgement on Weeden will be Chud and Turner.. Nobody and I mean Nobody elses opinion in this organization is worth listening too. I honestly think the one man that overrules everyone is aware of that. Haslam knows. I'm absolutely sure that Haslam knows that Banners strength is business, Lombardi has a strength as well, sucking up to Banner. His football guys are all very qualified.. They'll decide.

I can see it now (and I don't expect this to happen) Chud and Turner agree that they can work with Weeden and improve his individual performance and thus the offenses performance and Lombardi says,, No,, he's not good enough.

Of those three, who's Haslam going to agree with? Who's Banner going to agree with?

1 for Chud and Turner.. 0 for Banner and Lombardi

That's honestly the way I see it going or I suspect that Chud and Turner walk after one year. They are football men, they won't take that crap from pencil pushers.

The Caviat is what if Turner and Chud don't think that Weeden is the guy.. They'll ask Lombardi to go find some candidates to look at.. That's what will happen.

But in the end, I just don't think it will be a Lombardi final decision.

Given what Chud said he wants to do, I don't see McCoy fitting in. Fact it, Thad Lewis fits better than McCoy.

Perhaps this is a good idea for a thread?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #749355 01/19/13 07:12 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I have no doubt that the guys that will pass judgement on Weeden will be Chud and Turner.. Nobody and I mean Nobody elses opinion in this organization is worth listening too. I honestly think the one man that overrules everyone is aware of that. Haslam knows. I'm absolutely sure that Haslam knows that Banners strength is business, Lombardi has a strength as well, sucking up to Banner. His football guys are all very qualified.. They'll decide.

I'm just curious as to what you base that on that makes you so "sure of that"?

I mean let's look at how this actually went down so far. Haslam admitted that "he had a lot to learn". He hired Banner as his right hand man. So the one you claim is the one so good in "business" is Banner, yet we already know he'll have some say in the draft room by their own admission.

So what is it exactly that you've seen that gives you any indication Banner won't tell Haslam he's helped draft QB's for years and Weeden simply doesn't have what it takes? You think Haslam will just ignore what the person he hired as his right hand man has to say?

Quote:

I can see it now (and I don't expect this to happen) Chud and Turner agree that they can work with Weeden and improve his individual performance and thus the offenses performance and Lombardi says,, No,, he's not good enough.

Of those three, who's Haslam going to agree with? Who's Banner going to agree with?

Of what we have been told that "we know" so far, everything thus far seems to be running by "consensus". I mean if you only add guys to the team with a "consensus" why would you abandon that plan when it comes to who stays on the team prior to pre-season?

Quote:

Given what Chud said he wants to do, I don't see McCoy fitting in. Fact it, Thad Lewis fits better than McCoy.

Perhaps this is a good idea for a thread?

I don't know????

Anarchy seems to feel that Colt fits well into the vertical game and he's pretty well suited for it!

But I have to go with you on this one.

Had Chip Kelly of been hired, I would see it the exact opposite.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #749356 01/19/13 07:25 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
how have I been proven wrong?
Mike Lombardi can't come out and have 3 drafts like Heckert did.
Lombardi needs to hit on difference makers early and often.
If Heckert was all that a team would have jumped all over him

PitDAWG #749357 01/19/13 07:35 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

But hey, let's just uphold the move and "wait and see". There are so many fence riders here. ie..... Well we don't really support the move but we're willing to give it a shot in "fairness". When you hire someone for such a high position, you look at their resume', not about "fairness".

When did the business world concentrate more on "Fairness" than "proven results"? It hasn't, it doesn't and it won't. But let's just stay in imagination land where we pretend it's not supposed to work that way.

I think many, including me, take the wait and see approach because there is no other option. Fairness has nothing to do with it. It seems as though Lombardi has been unsuccessful in his past employment, but he is now the VP of Player Personnel. I don't see how being negative does anything other than cause unnecessary stress. With that said, I have no problem with people expressing their displeasure with the appointment of Lombardi. It is just tiring to see all of the negativity.

We don't get a say on who is hired. We just have to hope that the people who are good at their job and do it to the best of their abilities.

PitDAWG #749358 01/19/13 07:36 PM
Legend
Legend
I think we need to go back to the original question from page 1. What has Lombardi done to deserve this job over other GM candidates? What are his accomplishments and qualifications? After reading through all these posts and the linked articles, about all I can see is that he's intelligent and knows people. There's absolutely nothing regarding player evaluations and talent assessment that can show he has these skills to build and manage football team. If there were anything at all exceptional about him, they'd be parading it out in front of us skeptics to shut us up. Why didn't JJ go through an interview process similar to what they did with Chud? Given the rumors that popped up over a month ago about him being given the job, this whole thing stinks to high heaven. I just hope we didn't end up with Matt Millen Lite.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

how have I been proven wrong?

Many people, including me, have pointed out to you that Heckert did a well above-average job using irrefutable facts.

Quote:

Mike Lombardi can't come out and have 3 drafts like Heckert did.

Is that a question or a statement?

If it is a question:
I think he can come out and have 3 drafts like Heckert did.

If it is a statement:
I don't understand.

Quote:

Lombardi needs to hit on difference makers early and often.

Yes.

Quote:

If Heckert was all that a team would have jumped all over him

I think most people find it very odd that Heckert is still unemployed.

cfrs15 #749360 01/19/13 07:53 PM
Legend
Legend
I am really starting to wonder if there are some behind the scenes issues with Heckert. I remember him trading for Jayme Mitchell, who was a pure 4-3 DE, when we were a 3-4 team. He was a complete mismatch for what we ran at the time. That did not matter to Heckert.

Now maybe that was nothing ...... but maybe he only wanted "his" kind of players. Lombardi was run out of the league for years because he was seen as power hungry, and wanting to do things the way he wanted to do them. Maybe Heckert shares that trait.

I don't know .... but it's a theory anyway.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
cfrs15 #749361 01/19/13 07:56 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think many, including me, take the wait and see approach because there is no other option. Fairness has nothing to do with it. It seems as though Lombardi has been unsuccessful in his past employment, but he is now the VP of Player Personnel.

Fair enough. But to me that's a lot of what's wrong with todays consumer. Nobody holds people accountable anymore. Nobody speaks out and voices their true feelings or opinions. They don't let their wallet do the talking. As such business goes on as usual and the consumer gets exactly what he deserves by sitting idley by and "accepting it".

Quote:

I don't see how being negative does anything other than cause unnecessary stress. With that said, I have no problem with people expressing their displeasure with the appointment of Lombardi. It is just tiring to see all of the negativity.

Once again we see things differently. I think there were 2 excellent hires in chud and Norv, one that looks to be more of a positive than a negative in Horton and one that just stunk up the joint with Lombardi.

Problem being, Lombardi is one of the FO men here.

See, I came from a time where you make a stand one way or the other. If you see something you feel is stupid, you stand up and say so. You point out why and you debate the issue. So far the only thing I've seen people even try to really debate is that "Well nobody can prove he sucks", while his resume' shows plainly that his pattern of inconsistacy is quite consistant.

The "negativity" as you call it is nothing more than the resume' that Lombardi built. It was his performance here in Cleveland and what many here witnessed first hand.

If you wish to make a stand as to why you think lombardi will be very good at this job, have at it. But I find it odd you wish to try to disuade the reality that those who don't like the Lombardi hire made the news, when in fact they're just reporting it.

Quote:

We don't get a say on who is hired. We just have to hope that the people who are good at their job and do it to the best of their abilities.

As Browns fans we all hope everyone hired turns out to be a diamond. But I really don't do feng shui or expect to lay down and sing Kubaya over the hiring of Lombardi.

What was done here for many years was people either liked or disliked something and they chose which one and debated the subject.

On this subject it seems the only counter is the "We just need to deal with it" card. Some of still pick a side and some of us just deal with. To each their own I guess....

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think Heckert wanted to keep final say over the roster. He wasn't able to keep that privilege under the new ownership. That's why he was fired.

cfrs15 #749363 01/19/13 07:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

f Heckert was all that a team would have jumped all over him

He was supposed interview with the jets but he canceled the interview.

just saying

Joe Thomas #73
jfanent #749364 01/19/13 08:02 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think we need to go back to the original question from page 1. What has Lombardi done to deserve this job over other GM candidates? What are his accomplishments and qualifications? After reading through all these posts and the linked articles, about all I can see is that he's intelligent and knows people. There's absolutely nothing regarding player evaluations and talent assessment that can show he has these skills to build and manage football team. If there were anything at all exceptional about him, they'd be parading it out in front of us skeptics to shut us up. Why didn't JJ go through an interview process similar to what they did with Chud? Given the rumors that popped up over a month ago about him being given the job, this whole thing stinks to high heaven. I just hope we didn't end up with Matt Millen Lite.

All great observations and it seems everyone has done nothing but dance around asnwerring that question. Instead it's the old "shoot the messenger" routine.

Hey dude, just lighten up. I mean, let's just wait and see. I mean you can't prove for 100% sure that Lombardi had control in drafts where he worked even though they all stunk. So like......feng shui or something. Your negativity is too heavy...

When that's all they got, you KNOW we're in trouble!

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #749365 01/19/13 08:14 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

As such business goes on as usual and the consumer gets exactly what he deserves by sitting idley by and "accepting it".

I agree with you. If there is a local business that isn't doing their job you tell people about and let them know why they shouldn't use that businesses service. That type of thing doesn't work in this situation.

Quote:

If you wish to make a stand as to why you think lombardi will be very good at this job, have at it.

My stand is only that I feel like Lombardi, when given the proper people surrounding him, can be successful. I might have a skewed opinion because I have been listening to him for years on Bill Simmons podcast and he comes across as a person with a solid idea on how to build a team.

I believe that his track record with the Raiders cannot be held against him. His only fault was putting himself in the position to be associated with Al Davis.

While he was in Cleveland with Belichick he was underwhelming., But, as many have pointed out (including Lombardi), that was many years ago. I have faith that Lombardi is being honest when he says he has changed. I think he wants to win and will do everything he can to put us in the position to be good.

Quote:

But I find it odd you wish to try to disuade the reality that those who don't like the Lombardi hire made the news, when in fact they're just reporting it.

I don't think holding things Lombardi said as a member of the media is a good way in determining his worth. I believe predicting results for all 32 teams is an exercise in futility.

jfanent #749366 01/19/13 08:20 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Why didn't JJ go through an interview process similar to what they did with Chud?

Are we sure the didn't? We know they interviewed the Farmer guy.

If they only interviewed Lombardi and Farmar (who is black) I agree that they should have interviewed more people.

I don't think it is impossible that Lombardi has actually learned from his mistakes.

PitDAWG #749367 01/19/13 08:21 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
and I and a handful of others have been in here a LONG time and we've seen some crap..we've heatedly debated on stuff etc..but this time as usual,I'm in my mode..I don't like this one bit...I dispise Lombardi being here.
All those wanting to trust him , I got one question for ya..with all the GM openings from 2008 up till now,why didn't someone hire him before this???

I'll tell ys why not..he's crap..I can evaluate players better than him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

All those wanting to trust him , I got one question for ya..with all the GM openings from 2008 up till now,why didn't someone hire him before this???

Maybe he wasn't ready for the job? He was interviewed by the 49ers in 2011.

cfrs15 #749369 01/19/13 08:30 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Why didn't JJ go through an interview process similar to what they did with Chud?

Are we sure the didn't? We know they interviewed the Farmer guy.

If they only interviewed Lombardi and Farmar (who is black) I agree that they should have interviewed more people.

I don't think it is impossible that Lombardi has actually learned from his mistakes.

We can be reasonably sure they didn't. When they introduced Chud, they spoke at length about their interview process and how Chud stood out from the others. They said nothing about how Lombardi compared to the other candidates....most likely because there were none.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #749370 01/19/13 08:36 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree. There were reports all the way back in August saying that Lombardi was destined for Cleveland. Hopefully he's used that time to get up to speed. As I posted earlier he has been working on free agents for us for weeks.

cfrs15 #749371 01/19/13 08:41 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I agree with you. If there is a local business that isn't doing their job you tell people about and let them know why they shouldn't use that businesses service. That type of thing doesn't work in this situation.

So you somehow feel that the fan base who has loyally supported their team for a very long time deserves no right to be able to call them on the carpet when they feel justified in doing so? That it is somehow wrong or simply attribute their "negativity" as being the problem here?

Quote:

My stand is only that I feel like Lombardi, when given the proper people surrounding him, can be successful. I might have a skewed opinion because I have been listening to him for years on Bill Simmons podcast and he comes across as a person with a solid idea on how to build a team.

Next we have.......

Quote:

I don't think holding things Lombardi said as a member of the media is a good way in determining his worth.

So you say it was his work in the media on a podcast helped your view possibly being scewed....... Then turn around and say that holding things he said as a member of the media is not a good way to determine his worth?

It would seem on the surface that when it suits your pleasure or your opinion, you hold what Lombardi says with high regard. So much so you state it may have scewed your opinion.

Yet when someone points out other things he said in the media that do not fit into your puzzle, you wish to discredit it? Isn't that a little more than being one sided and selctive in your process?

I must ask, if Banner thought so very highly of Lombardi, why is it Lombardi was not attained in Philly? Why would Lombardi leave Philly to work for the power hungry Davis in Oakland if everything was so peachy in Philly with banner?

Quote:

While he was in Cleveland with Belichick he was underwhelming., But, as many have pointed out (including Lombardi), that was many years ago.

I didn't know that "five years" quanified as "so many years ago" actually so we don't agree here at all.

So once again the question must be asked, what has Lombardi learned as a media type and accomplished since 2008 that shows he has the ability to do the same job he couldn't seem to do before?

Quote:

I have faith that Lombardi is being honest when he says he has changed. I think he wants to win and will do everything he can to put us in the position to be good.

Well faith is something I believe one would have to have in this instance because there is a total lack of evidence. Other than God and Family, I need a little evidence so I have something to back my faith up with. But to each their own....

And this whole "wants to win" thing just doesn't do much for me. Can you name one team that doesn't want to win? Well, maybe with the acception of the 2011 Indy Colts who trotted out Painter like it was the best they could do. When everyone knew they simply had their eyes set on Luck in the draft.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #749372 01/19/13 08:56 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

So you somehow feel that the fan base who has loyally supported their team for a very long time deserves no right to be able to call them on the carpet when they feel justified in doing so?

I think (know) they deserve the right to, obviously. I just don't know if there is a good way in doing so. If the Cleveland Browns were on Yelp I would have left them negative feedback multiple times.

Quote:

So you say it was his work in the media on a podcast helped your view possibly being scewed....... Then turn around and say that holding things he said as a member of the media is not a good way to determine his worth?

What I meant, and should have clarified, was that I don't think his individual evaluations of teams and players should be held against him. The things I liked about him were his ideas on building on a team.

Quote:

I must ask, if Banner thought so very highly of Lombardi, why is it Lombardi was not attained in Philly? Why would Lombardi leave Philly to work for the power hungry Davis in Oakland if everything was so peachy in Philly with banner?

I would guess because the position that Lombardi was qualified for, some would say the only position he is qualified for is toilet cleaner, was not open. And Banner also had authority over him in Philadelphia, while it appears he is the shot caller for us.

I don't have an answer as to why he left Philadelphia for Oakland. I can only assume he was fired and he got offered a job in Oakland or he was offered a better title and more money.

Quote:

I didn't know that "five years" quanified as "so many years ago" actually so we don't agree here at all.

I was talking about his time in Cleveland which ended in 1996.

Quote:

So once again the question must be asked, what has Lombardi learned as a media type and accomplished since 2008 that shows he has the ability to do the same job he couldn't seem to do before?

Lombardi has been working at the NFL Films studios on a daily basis with many different people. He has also been able to pick the mind of many different people as was not associated with any team. Hopefully spending time around these type of people has changed the way he will operate.

One can also argue that he can just do the opposite of what Al Davis did in Oakland and be very successful.

Quote:

Can you name one team that doesn't want to win?

Many on here (not you) make it sound like Haslam, Banner, and Lombardi's goal is to be bad.

cfrs15 #749373 01/19/13 09:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe he wasn't ready for the job? He was interviewed by the 49ers in 2011.

Maybe they found he isn't qualified..I am a person who's direct..dude has no skills that would make me think he would be a good GM..he 's way off on stuff..and to listen to that clown backtrack when asked about his evaluations on Weeden and Gordon ,it's pathic..
He doesn't want to be viewed as wrong..(insert the Fonz saying " I was wrooo....I was ronnnn..I was ..not right)

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

and to listen to that clown backtrack when asked about his evaluations on Weeden and Gordon ,it's pathic..

You really expect Lombardi, his first day on the job, to come in and bash two players? If he did that, I would agree with you that he is indeed a clown.

Quote:

He doesn't want to be viewed as wrong

Does anyone want to be viewed as wrong? And usually people who don't want to be viewed as wrong don't openly admit to mistakes they made.

cfrs15 #749375 01/19/13 09:23 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think (know) they deserve the right to, obviously. I just don't know if there is a good way in doing so. If the Cleveland Browns were on Yelp I would have left them negative feedback multiple times.

Well they do have a method of showing your displeasure on their web site.

Quote:

What I meant, and should have clarified, was that I don't think his individual evaluations of teams and players should be held against him. The things I liked about him were his ideas on building on a team.

Okay, now I find this a bit confusing as well........

I can talk a pretty good game when it comes to "ideas". That is if I felt like taking the time to be subtle and with a PR point of view in mind.

Which I don't BTW.

Yet you seem to like the part where he "talks a good game". Yet when we look at the actual job of a talent evaluator, it's to be able to project how well talent will translate to the NFL in your system. ie....the 3-4 or 4-3..

So his job will be to evaluate talent for the draft. To pick and choose which players wll actually make good NFL players. Yet you wish to dismiss his talent evaluation part of his media job and elevate his "ideas"?

A lot of people had ideas on a flying machine that sounded good in theory, but it wasn't until the Wright Brothers that somebody actually developed a way to make that idea a success. So once again I look at his execution and talent evaluations far more than his "ideas", since talent evaluation will actually be a large part of his job here.

I think both Haslam and Banners "ideas" on how to build a team will be foremost in mind, not Lombardis. So I really don't think they'll be looking to Lombardi on "his team building ideas". Banner seems to have some pretty strong ideas on that himself.

Quote:

I would guess because the position that Lombardi was qualified for, some would say the only position he is qualified for is toilet cleaner, was not open. And Banner also had authority over him in Philadelphia, while it appears he is the shot caller for us.

So you actually view Lombardi as more of Banners puppet or exactly what do you feel Lombardis role is here?

Quote:

I was talking about his time in Cleveland which ended in 1996.

Well since you somehow feel his time in Oakland "doesn't count", I guess I'm asking you what he has shown, other than "great ideas", to give you any indications he is qualified for the job?

Quote:

Lombardi has been working at the NFL Films studios on a daily basis with many different people. He has also been able to pick the mind of many different people as was not associated with any team. Hopefully spending time around these type of people has changed the way he will operate.

So pretty much the same things that could be said for John Clayton, Chris Mortinson and a host of NFL TV analyst? Somehow this sin't instilling a lot of confidence from me....

Quote:

One can also argue that he can just do the opposite of what Al Davis did in Oakland and be very successful.

I believe one could reach for that conclusion, but not really argue it as a point.

Quote:

Many on here (not you) make it sound like Haslam, Banner, and Lombardi's goal is to be bad.

I actually don't feel they question there goal, just their ability to reach that goal given the make-up of this FO.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #749376 01/19/13 09:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
U miss my point.. he wasn't expecting the media to throw his remarks back at him and exploit his so called evaluations..in case U don't know he's poo-poo'd the Browns draft and the move to take Gordon.

Dude is a snake.

PitDAWG #749377 01/19/13 09:50 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

So you actually view Lombardi as more of Banners puppet or exactly what do you feel Lombardis role is here?

I believe Lombardi's role will be as an information gatherer. Watching film, finding out who is available, etc. Then he will provide that information to Banner and Chud (who will also be doing work on their own). I believe Lombardi is fourth in the chain of command.

Quote:

I guess I'm asking you what he has shown, other than "great ideas", to give you any indications he is qualified for the job?

He has experience. Also, just for clarification, I don't think Lombardi was the most qualified person for this job. I would probably have hired many people before him if I had my say. I understand why many people take issue with the Lombardi hire, but once a person is a member of the Cleveland Browns I try and find the positives.

Quote:

So pretty much the same things that could be said for John Clayton, Chris Mortinson and a host of NFL TV analyst?

Lombardi has a background in personnel. He is not a journalist.

Quote:

Yet you wish to dismiss his talent evaluation part of his media job and elevate his "ideas"?

I believe that media people make statements without full knowledge of the situation for the sake of page views.

PitDAWG #749378 01/19/13 10:01 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...oh wait

He isn't our GM, he's our VP of Player Personnel.

As good as Russell Wilson has done, it's still not an indictment of Lombardi. Right now, nobody knows what Matt Flynn would do.

Yeah I've been seeing a lot of that. From the looks of it, some posters wouldn't go against anything H&H do including setting their mom on fire!

Well, Holmgren & Heckert did nothing to improve the team. W-L records of 5-11 (Mangini), 4-12 (Shurmur) and 5-11 (Shurmur). Of course, 5-11 wasn't good enough (at least Holmgren said so) for Mangini to keep his job but 4-12 was good enough for Shurmur with built-in excuses.

I recall too that Holmgren (or was it Heckert) said that good players should be able to play in either a 3-4 scheme or a 4-3 scheme.

I think we could use Sheard as an OLB in the 3-4 or a DE in the 4-3. We could keep D'Qwell as a ILB along with Nate Robertson as in ILB. Draft another tweener OLB/DE type (I like Werner myself) and you just keep rotating the DTs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I remember watching Total access and he called Gordon a total waste or something to that effect. Now when he talks about Browns players, he will slip back into his favorite role as the UNNAMED SOURCE.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we could use Sheard as an OLB in the 3-4 or a DE in the 4-3. We could keep D'Qwell as a ILB along with Nate Robertson as in ILB. Draft another tweener OLB/DE type (I like Werner myself) and you just keep rotating the DTs.

I like Sheard as the OLB good fit. DQ solid in the middle but man Nate Robinson weighs 148 lbs. I doubt he could play Mike for us roflmao

cfrs15 #749381 01/19/13 10:22 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Heckert wanted to keep final say over the roster. He wasn't able to keep that privilege under the new ownership. That's why he was fired.

Heckert, in an interview I read after he was fired, said that it never came up. The Browns simply were not bringing him back, period. Final say on the roster was never a factor.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Heckert, in an interview I read after he was fired, said that it never came up. The Browns simply were not bringing him back, period. Final say on the roster was never a factor.

And I read an article with/about him that he knew as soon as Banner was hired, he'd (heckert) be gone, because of the final say thing. It might even be in this thread.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Nope, it's not in this thread.

Here's an article: http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2012/12/31/heckert-expected-to-be-fired/

From that article: " BEREA — General manager Tom Heckert was fired Monday in a quick meeting at about 9 a.m. He saw it was coming months ago. Ever since new owner Jimmy Haslam brought in Joe Banner as CEO. “As soon as Joe was hired, I knew it was not going to work out,” Heckert told The Gazette on Monday afternoon. “I was not going to stay without final say. Personally, I’m fine with that.”

Now, that article was published 12-31-2012. FWIW.

cfrs15 #749384 01/19/13 11:01 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I think Heckert did a above average job. But at the end of the day,in his 3 years as GM of the Browns,he failed to close the gap on the rest of the AFC North.

5-11 is 5-11. You are what your record is.

I'm not surprised Heckert is on the outside looking in as of now.
The ones that feel it odd that Heckert is out of work now are the ones who over rated his body of work in the 1st place.

why would a team hire Heckert now? so they can go through the trials of a 5 year plan and not see progress?

3 year plans are the new 5 year plans.
If you are a GM and your team isn't in a playoff hunt by year 3, your days could be numbered.

If Heckert was any good,Haslam and Banner would have retained him.

Warhop and the special teams coached were retained. why?

cause they are good at what they do.

BADdog #749385 01/19/13 11:26 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

f Heckert was all that a team would have jumped all over him

He was supposed interview with the jets but he canceled the interview.

just saying

He got fired by the Browns.

Just sayin'.

Mourgrym #749386 01/19/13 11:32 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Nate... whatever his name is. I'm drawing a blank. *shrug* Robertson could play the other ILB for the Browns. Craig. Sorry. My bad.

Not sure why the name Nate popped into my head. Oh well. Craig Robertson could play the other ILB for us.

Thanks Mourgrym for the non-correction correction.

Legend
Legend
Craig Robertson could play the position w/ no problem.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you are referring to James-Micheal Johnson?

I don't see Robertson as an ILB.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Craig Robertson could play the position w/ no problem.

Yeah, I know. I had a brain fart and I was in the middle of getting tamales prepared. Got the meat and seasonings in the fridge to let them flavor up the meat. Tomorrow the corn husks get soaked, the masa gets made and the meat spread in them and all those tamales (I think we have enough for 15 or 16 dozen this time) will get steamed.

link to the meat (unseasoned) because the image is too large

The tamale meat. (8 pounds of pork butt and 10 pounds of chicken)

link to picture of the spices because the image is too large

The spices. (corn oil, piquin chile powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper)

link to the tamale meat (seasoned) because the image size is too large

The spices mixed into the meat.

Tamales! Tamales! Hot, spicy tamales!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Lombardi pt2

Link Copied to Clipboard