Next Thread
Print Thread
#749694 01/20/13 07:24 PM
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

League sources tell La Canfora there is strong support for Rooney Rule expansion in 2013 that will require NFL teams to interview a minority candidate for all coordinator and assistant head-coaching positions. Additionally, La Canfora reports the yet-to-be-proposed expansion would pass easily.

CBSSports

This to me, is stupid.

The NFL is the "good old boy" association. I get it. Buddies get their buddies jobs. Whatever.

And maybe Mike Tomlin isn't a HC right now if it wasn't for the Rooney Rule, but how many people have been interviewed only because the team HAD to interview someone?

They don't think enough Black people were hired? What does that even mean?

All "Equal Oppurtunity" ever does in the workforce is make it "less fair" the other way.

Forcing a company to hire people of a certain color isn't any less racist than not hiring them.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I like the Rooney Rule. The Rooney Rule doesn't mandate you hire or have some percentage of a minority on staff. The Rooney Rule only ask you give a minority person an interview; it's still up to the owner of the team to hire that person or not. A minority coach through his interview maybe able to really impress and get a job he otherwise wouldn't have got.

I support the expansion, its benefits far outweigh its negatives.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Couldn't have said it better myself. The NFL is too much of the good ole boy network and this allows those outside the system to at least get their foot in the door and have their resumes looked at and make a pitch. Don't see any issue with it.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So what about when a coach wants a job, and the team wants to hire him?

Why should they have to interview someone they don't want?

Or when Dallas and Minnesota both fire their coaches midseason, and want to hire their Interims full time. Minnesota can because Frazier is black but Dallas has to interview a black guy because Garret is white?

I understand it doesn't "hurt anything" to have the rule in place.

But to say anyone can hire whomever they want, and then they do, and now you want to change the rule because not enough black guys got hired?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Your talking about reverse discrimanation. But that's not what this is.

they are NOT requiring you to hire a minority candidate, just to interview them.

I admit, if you already know who you want, it will slow the process down, but bottom line, nobody is saying you have to hire anyone..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand the motive, but I don't think you should have to interview someone you aren't going to hire.

Why?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
If I was a guy that was interviewed only because of my race not merit, Id be offended.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Or when Dallas and Minnesota both fire their coaches midseason, and want to hire their Interims full time. Minnesota can because Frazier is black but Dallas has to interview a black guy because Garret is white?

I understand it doesn't "hurt anything" to have the rule in place.

But to say anyone can hire whomever they want, and then they do, and now you want to change the rule because not enough black guys got hired?

Frankly, I think the Rooney Rule is a waste of resources.

If you have a proven HC or coordinator, they'll get their opportunities based solely on merit.

An NFL owner or front office (president, gm, whomever) should be able to hire whoever they want if they've found the candidate that they want and shouldn't be required to interview anyone else afterward. Period.

I don't care if it's good business or is 'fair' or anything else. Since the NFL is a business, they should be able to hire whomever they want if they are convinced that the person is the best candidate for the job. They should be able to fire them mercilessly as well if they deem that to be the necessary course of action to take. Period.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If I was a guy that was interviewed only because of my race not merit, Id be offended.

Come on now. You have to have the facade over it all to cover up the blatant racism of the process. At least, that's what folks like Damanshot would have you believe.

ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Here's a thought.

The league is turning to more offensive game plans.

If the 8 new coaches. Only one is defensive.

How many Black Offensive Minded coaches are there?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I understand the motive, but I don't think you should have to interview someone you aren't going to hire.

Why?

Oh I agree with you. It's a time waster, but its all about being PC Peen. I would suppose the idea would be that if you were forced to interview a minority candidate that you aren't serious about, then realize, hey, this guy is really good, let's hire him... that's what they hope for.

it's rather dumb really, like someone else said, this is a good ole boy network. For the most part, people know who they want,, and they go get them.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Because even if you have 'your guy' targeted, there's always a chance that you'll interview someone who just blows you away. You may not hire him for the coaching job you want 'your guy' to have, but also extend some other post to the new candidate. Without the rule, he may slip through your fingers or go copletely unnoticed...

"too many notes, not enough music-"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Here's a thought.

There are zero at the NFL offensive coordinator position.

There are a number of NFL defensive coordinators that are black.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Here's a thought.

something about teams having white QBs and white coaches to lead their offenses...

i like the rule..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C
so what does the NFL define as minority? Asian, Italian, Hispanic, or is it only black? To hire only because a minority is just as bad as hiring because a person js only white.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

J/C
so what does the NFL define as minority? Asian, Italian, Hispanic, or is it only black? To hire only because a minority is just as bad as hiring because a person js only white.

The Rooney Rule has absolute nothing to do with hiring practices of an NFL team. The only part of the process the Rooney Rule affects is the interviewing stage.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Can you satisfy the Rooney rule by interviewing a Hispanic candidate? I assume it's a minority not just black. Correct?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Can you satisfy the Rooney rule by interviewing a Hispanic candidate? I assume it's a minority not just black. Correct?

Or a woman candidate?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Here's a thought.

false
Jim Caldwell

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Oh. My mistake. There is 1 at the NFL ranks. And he was promoted when BallsNoMore fired their OC mid-season.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think that NFL teams should have to interview someone like ME for all coorinator or Head coaching decisions before they hire whoever they want to, because there are not enough coaches in the NFL that are like Me.

Now whatever makes me unlike most head coaches will be the criteria to force them to interview ME, or someone like me. I'd love to interview for an NFL head coaching or coordinator position, just for the experience.

I can't wait.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
The US is about 13% black. If we decide that everything should be """"""fair"""""" then approximately 13% of the head coaches should be back, 13% of the assistant coaches should be black, and 13% the players should be black. On a 53 man roster that's 7 black guys. Does anyone think limiting the number of black players to 7 per team is a good idea???????

If we could assume that everyone wanted to win above all else then we should also assume they would try to the best of their abilities to hire the best GMs coaches and players. If they are the best that is all that should matter.

If the GM, coach, assistant coaches, and all the players were purple eyed, six fingered, midget, gingers and we won the Super Bowl it would be the best thing that ever happened.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rooney Rule Expansion

Link Copied to Clipboard