Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#751116 01/27/13 10:58 AM
S
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
S
A week away but I will be gathering my supplies soon.......

I am making dry rub ribs for the main with a kicker of some home made buffalo wings

Appetizers going to be some cheesy nachos and of course some beer throughout the day!

So what you guys making or getting for next Sunday?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I make a mean chilli that burns through clothing. I'm getting too old for that stuff, though. I might have to remove the biohazzard sticker from my chilli pot some year in the near future.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm thinking of an electric roaster full of Italian sausage - half hot, half sweet - roasted with green peppers and onions. Some fresh bakery sausage rolls, store-bought (Grandma's) potato salad, and a few beverages. Maalox for dessert if the Ravens win.

Legend
Legend
I was tempted to repeat the Polish theme of last year, but we decided on Mexican. My contribution will be guacamole dip, stuffed jalapenos and the meat for the taco/nacho/fajita bar. Between 15-20 people will be there, including 4 teenage boys. I'll know later in the week what the others will bring.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm serving stewed prunes and ricecakes....... actually I have not decided yet......ribs? wings?....or something beefy, oh yea!!!

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pulled Beef Brisket Sandwiches
Ingredients
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 3-4 pound beef brisket
1 18-ounce bottle of barbecue sauce
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
12 Kaiser rolls

Cooking Instructions
Mix the minced garlic, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper. Rub over the brisket.
In a small bowl mix the barbecue sauce, onions, Worchestershire sauce and liquid smoke (if using).
Place the brisket in a slow-cooker and pour over the sauce. Cook on low 10 hours or until the brisket is fork-tender. Pull the beef apart into strips.
Ladle the cooking liquid into a bowl or glass measuring cup and skim off the fat. Mix the juices with pulled beef. Serve on rolls.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm serving stewed prunes and ricecakes....... actually I have not decided yet......ribs? wings?....or something beefy, oh yea!!!

Stewed prunes and rice cakes to go with my oatmeal! Good idea. Have you tried those flavored rice cakes?

#GMSTRONG
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Wings, queso dip and chips, veggie tray...that's it. There will only be 3 of us. Husband, daughter and me (4 if you count the unborn baby)

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Fitting with the theme of this years superbowl I will be serving AIDS infected rats.

A
Legend
Legend
A
There will be 16-20 of us - actually, as many as 25 people.... The usual veggie tray, chips and salsa, smoking hot chicken dip..............

Also doing venison meatballs, home made chicken strips (baked, crispy, crunchy), potato skins, cheese sticks, and venison and chicken burritos. (not together - venison OR chicken burritos.....baked)

Kingcob #751126 01/27/13 04:41 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
For years i made fresh clam chowder, New England style, but I didn't last year for calorie reasons and won't again this year.

The Columbia, a Cuban restaurant in the Tampa area has a wonderful bean soup. I bought their cookbook when I ate there last Christmas day. I think I will give that a go.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/recipe.asp?FeaturedItemID=20

The Columbia is possibly my favorite restaurant in the country. It's really good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well I'm switching it up a bit from last years menu. Gone will be my 10 pepper chilli. It's a scorcher, but it's also very pricey to make. Between the peppers and the steak (yes, I don't use ground beef, I cube up bottom round), it's around $25-30 to make a pot alone, plus half the people don't eat it due to the heat index...got about 23 people coming including kids, so need to have some kid friendly food as well.

So here's my menu as of today:

Appetizers-
Buffalo Chicken nachos
Bacon wrapped smokies
Hot cheese dip with chips and veggies

Main-
Pork butt with a habanero glaze to be shredded for pulled pork
Chicken wings that I'll be making (it's the Superbowl! gotta have wings)
"Game winning" drumsticks
Pizza (ok, this I'm ordering, I can't make it all)

Dessert- TBD, I may ask people to bring it to make it easier on me.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Here's the Super Bowl Menu at the Saints stadium:

The Official Menu Of Super Bowl XLVII

Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Written by: Tyler Sullivan

By Tyler Sullivan
TheDailyMeal.com

Centerplate, the company responsible for feeding the 70,000-plus fans at Super Bowl XLVII at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, released this year's official menu. Upward of 100 chefs and 1,000-plus in serving staff will be working around the clock to prepare this Super Bowl-sized feast.

Luckily for fans, the menu isn't exclusive to only box and premium seating. "Our philosophy on the Super Bowl menu is that the 'special' menu items shouldn’t be limited to just one group of fans, so we’ve made sure that our Cajun classics are available to everyone," said John Hickman, communications director for Centerplate.

The culinary talent behind the cuisine is James Beard Award-winning chef and NOLA legend Donald Link. The Louisiana native chef began cooking at the age of 15, and has since opened five restaurants in New Orleans' Warehouse District, including Herbsaint, Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Calcasieu, and Cochon Lafayette.

"No one throws a party quite like New Orleans," Link explains, "and I think we perfectly captured the city's flavor and flair in our menu."

Menu items include alligator chili, with alligator sausage from Crescent City Meats, a local NOLA purveyor; a Roast Beef Debris Po'Boy, with rolls from 100-plus-year-old Leidenheimer bakery in New Orleans; BBQ shrimp and grits, with fresh Louisiana Gulf Coast-caught white shrimp; chicken and sausage gumbo, with dark roux, chicken, and sausage in a flavorful broth served with white rice; Natchitoches crawfish pies, Louisiana fried pies with zesty dressing crawfish stuffing; chef Donald Links' chicken sauce piquant (Links' take on the traditional Cajun recipe); and Bayou Bootleg, a drink with the taste of the South and a splash of raspberry, the special "Craft Cocktail" for this year’s Super Bowl.

The Gulf Shrimp Cocktail will ring in as most expensive item for the day, set at a whopping $30 an order. On the other end of the spectrum, a small order of nachos will ring up as the least expensive, at just $8.

Some local food partners for the day's offerings include Leidenheimer Bakery, a New Orleans staple since 1896, famous in the area for their French bread and time-honored process; Haydel's Bakery, a three-generation New Orleans, family-owned and run bakery that prides themselves on their cookies, cakes, and pastries; Crescent City Meats, another three-generation NOLA presence, with all products naturally slow smoked with hickory; and The Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board, the number one provider of shrimp, oyster, crab, crawfish, and alligator in the country.

Coaches and chefs alike take weeks to prepare for this big night. The culinary game plan includes churning out 10,000 pounds of Gulf shrimp, 700 gallons of traditional Cajun gumbo, 3,000 pounds of alligator sausage, 450 gallons of New Orleans red beans (to be served with 6,000 pounds of rice), 150 gallons of spinach and artichoke dip, 18,000 pounds of pork (smoked on-site, mind you), and 1,200 gallons of Link's signature chicken piquant.

"From chef-inspired cuisine to creative cocktails, our goal is to make every sporting event an incredible experience for fans, but for the Super Bowl, we know how to take football food to the next level," says Centerplate CEO Des Hague.

Whether your team wins or loses, we bet that everybody will walk away satisfied with Centerplate's culinary experience on Feb. 3.
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201301/super-bowl-xlvii-official-menu-new-orleans

Frenchy #751129 01/28/13 04:25 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

BBQ ribs, sweet cole slaw, baked beans with bacon, fried chicken and gravy.

Both smoked and spicey venison summer sausage with both Sharp cheddar and monterey jack cheese. With Ritz crackers of course! Everything tastes better on a Ritz!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Well I'm switching it up a bit from last years menu. Gone will be my 10 pepper chilli. It's a scorcher, but it's also very pricey to make. Between the peppers and the steak (yes, I don't use ground beef, I cube up bottom round), it's around $25-30 to make a pot alone, plus half the people don't eat it due to the heat index...got about 23 people coming including kids, so need to have some kid friendly food as well.

So here's my menu as of today:

Appetizers-
Buffalo Chicken nachos
Bacon wrapped smokies
Hot cheese dip with chips and veggies

Main-
Pork butt with a habanero glaze to be shredded for pulled pork
Chicken wings that I'll be making (it's the Superbowl! gotta have wings)
"Game winning" drumsticks
Pizza (ok, this I'm ordering, I can't make it all)

Dessert- TBD, I may ask people to bring it to make it easier on me.

Sounds like a nice set-up.

Not to be critical here, just a friendly tip, but if you have a bunch of people over and half the crowd can't eat what you served, it isn't very good...either in taste or in form by the host.

Anybody can make something hot with peppers. It takes skill to make something better with peppers.

What I do is make a pot that nearly everybody will enjoy....you always have that 1 who just doesn't like chili flavor at all....I can't help them. Then in a side pan I keep the heat that people can be as adventurous as they want.

Keep your bells and other mild chili's in the pot as you cook....keep the scotch bonnets in the side pan.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Frenchy #751131 01/28/13 07:12 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
That sounds great....I love me some crawfish pie. A vendor out of Nashville comes down to our outdoor market a few times a summer, and I always pick up a few boxes to bake at the house.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks, Peen.

Yeah...I wanted to basically "show off" my chilli last year. Had a couple people say it was the best chilli they've had, but quickly realized that not everyone will say the same because they don't like it hot.

Mixing it up more this year, still thinking of a good side. I make these killer parmesan ranch potatoes, but it's a little bit of work. Especially with everything else going. May just do some good 'ol beans.

B
Legend
Legend
B
As usual I am beginning to waiver on the soup. I am now thinking about having Chicken Paprikash.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Moldy rice cakes and stale beer.

The ravens are in the SB again and I'm gonna be sick so I may as well eat something that will make it happen sooner..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Wings, and a mix of GLB's Xmas ale and Conways.

U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
I see a bunch of people talking about serving Chili, anyone want to share the recipes? Always looking for a good chili recipe.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Palomas (new favorite drink: fresh grapefruit juice, lime, club soda, splenda, reposado tequila) and Nachos

See here: Link

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I see a bunch of people talking about serving Chili, anyone want to share the recipes? Always looking for a good chili recipe.

I have a great chili that I made last Superbowl. Have had several people say it was the best that they've had. I can't remember it exactly, but I just sat down for the first time today and don't wanna go find it as I have it written out. I will get it to you though, if you'd like.

It's a 12 pepper chili. It's hard to find all the ones at the local stores I have, so I usually end up with about 10 in mine. I also use steak instead of the typical ground beef (bottom round that I cube). So if you like a good amount of heat, and don't mind spending a fair amount on a pot, I'll send you the recipe.

Lemme know!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok, decided to get up

You're gonna need the following:

-32oz. can of plum tomatoes
-2.5lbs of bottom round, cut into about 1/2in. cubes. (trick- stick in freezer 30mins. prior to cutting)
You'll need the following chile's. If you can't find them all, I've subbed them or left some out and added an extra one of the others:
-couple chipotle's in adobo sauce
-couple ancho, New Mexican red, pasillo, cascabel and guajillo chiles (u can sometimes find these dried in bags, you'll have to soak them)
-1 italian hot
-couple jalepenos
-1 poblano
-1 serrano
-1 habenero
-1 sweet pepper of your choice

Also need- canola oil
-kosher salt
-pepper
-2 spanish onions
-4 garlic cloves
-1 tbsp cumin
-1/2 tsp chili powder
-2c chicken broth
-2tbsp honey
-2tbsp maple syrup
-a little bit of chocolate....I usually throw in a Hershey Kiss....

Cut peppers up. obviously take off stems and add them with the plum tomatoes into a processor and blend it up until pretty smooth.

Season the steak with salt and pepper. Heat up a 1/4c canola oil into a pot, and brown the beef. Leave some of the fat and oil in the pot, but not all of it. Maybe a couple tablespoons or so.

Then

Add diced onions and cook until soft, about 5 mins. Add garlic and cook a minute or 2, then add the cumin and chili powder. Mix it up good, and let it cook for a minute. Add the tomato sauce and pepper mixture from the process and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer about an hour and a half.

Add the honey, syrup and chocolate at the end, stir it up and dig in!

U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Quote:

Quote:

I have a great chili that I made last Superbowl. Have had several people say it was the best that they've had. I can't remember it exactly, but I just sat down for the first time today and don't wanna go find it as I have it written out. I will get it to you though, if you'd like.

It's a 12 pepper chili. It's hard to find all the ones at the local stores I have, so I usually end up with about 10 in mine. I also use steak instead of the typical ground beef (bottom round that I cube). So if you like a good amount of heat, and don't mind spending a fair amount on a pot, I'll send you the recipe.

Lemme know!

For sure, if you get a chance to get around to it I would definately try it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
See above post

U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Got it! Thanks, will definately give it a shot. With all those peppers it sounds like it has quite a kick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C...

As always your recipes are the bomb !! I would love to be able to travel the night stopping at your place and sampling your dishes...

But! do to the weather... I most likely will be spending my time in a plow truck, snacking on trail mix and a Sub Way sandwich for the SB...

So... If you want your drive plowed.. have a plate at your door when I show up to remove snow from your drive

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Definitely has a nice kick to it. The sweet stuff at the end cuts into it a bit, but still has plenty of heat and flavor.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I love all the recipes here All of you are so much more accomplished than me!

Barbecued pulled pork sandwiches, veggie tray, cheddar cheese and ritz crackers.

Pulled pork recipe: - very easy, even I can do it!

Sliced a large onion, put on the bottom of my crockpot. Seasoned an 8 lbs pork butt shoulder roast with lemon pepper seasoning. Put in crockpot, fat side up. Added one jar salsa. Cooking on low for 10 hours. Then pulling the pork, adding back in a small amount of the cooking juice + all of the onion. Mixing with Open Bit barbecue sauce before serving.

Last edited by sk8termom; 02/03/13 11:27 AM.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm making the following: Shrimp cocktail (not a lot of effort there) , Pan fried burgers that have been cooked with sautéed garlic and red onion, sweet potato fries, and bacon wrapped water chestnuts.

My wife is making: pizza, baked garlic parm wings.

Having wrote that, I realize that this is an awful lot of food for two adults and a four year old. I'll put the shrimp cocktail on hold for Tuesday night, and maybe hold off on the bacon wrapped water chestnuts.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Big Bucket of chicken wings
Homemade Egg Rolls
Chef Boyardee Pizza, nothing beats this IMO
Chocolate cupcakes
Popcorn
Pepsi and Root Beer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
House is starting to smell good...

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Same on this end! It's just too bad the meal is about 4 hours away from being ready...

I encountered a setback when my old lady forgot to mention we'd need white onions- not red- for the recipe. So running to the store a couple hours ago, you could bet it was a crowded madhouse. But the show goes on!

The menu for the game is a slow-cooked corned beef brisket- seasoned with the rub that came with it, a couple bay leaves, scattered peppercorns, and two white onions. It's cooking on the stove as I type. Also steaming 12 quartered yukon gold potatoes and a bunch of sliced up carrots. Served with a choice of Chivas Regal Scotch whiskey (my choice) or cheap merlot.

Starving!

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fricken' boneless chicken wings, and a few bud light platinums.

Legend
Legend
I was in charge of dessert... so I made a Tiramisu layer cake... with home made filling and frost and kahlau liqueur...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Pulled pork in a big croc-pot served up in a Huli-Huli Sauce..

And a big bowl of my grandmothers potato salad.....

And plenty of Dortmunders...

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Small bag of lays ruffled potato chips, a popsickle, green curry ramen, and diet coke.

*putting on airs*

jaybird #751154 02/03/13 09:37 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You made it really fast, too!

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Just clicking.

How did everyone's meals turn out? This was my first corned beef brisket (the only corned beef in general I ever had was deli-style) and it was absolutely delicious. The next couple days of leftovers will be delicious, too! The meat about split in half when I removed it out of the pot- so I must have done something right. Add in the tenderness of the yukons, carrots, and cabbage, and I actually feel good about devouring it.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Superbowl Menu!

Link Copied to Clipboard