Print Thread
#753228 02/06/13 07:41 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
This kid (Brett Walsh) from my local high school is going to Northwestern. That's two years in a row that someone from Monrovia (one high school of about 1,700) went to a D-1 school.

He had 192 tackles as a junior in 2011.

cfrs15 #753229 02/06/13 07:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mark Stoops and Kentucky pulled in their best recruiting class ever today

cfrs15 #753230 02/06/13 07:58 PM
Legend
Legend
We got Von Bell which made me incredibly happy

candyman92 #753231 02/06/13 09:02 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

+1 I really didn't figure he would choose us over Alabama.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #753232 02/07/13 12:32 AM
Legend
Legend
Can we just give and vacate the 2015.title to Ole Miss right now?

clevesteve #753233 02/07/13 12:44 AM
Legend
Legend
I have no comment on Ole Mi$$

I see a ESPN 30 for 30 in the near future

cfrs15 #753234 02/07/13 04:27 AM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I feel sorry for this kid, he's old enough to fight in a war and vote but he can't pick where he wants to go to school. No wonder he wants to play 1200 miles away from home.

RecruitingNation: Arkansas recruit's mom swipes fax

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- ESPN 150 running back Alex Collins still has not signed his letter of intent with Arkansas, and as of Wednesday evening there had not been a resolution.

Earlier in the day, Collins' mother, Andrea McDonald, refused to sign the letter of intent papers. Sources said she preferred Collins stay closer to home and sign with the University of Miami.

McDonald arrived at the school at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday to sign the papers but abruptly left without signing, according to two sources familiar with the situation.

Collins' older brother, Johnny, told the Miami Herald the family hoped Collins would re-consider Miami.

"I would prefer him to go to Miami, too, because it would be a better program for him, a better environment," Johnny Collins said. "He could get home faster and it's more convenient if Mom wants to go to a game -- instead of having to fly to Arkansas."

The National Letter of Intent, according to the NCAA's official website, is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution. "If you are under the age of 21, regardless of marital status, your parent or legal guardian must sign the NLI in order for it to be considered valid," the website states. An earlier version of this story said McDonald did not have to sign the papers.

Per NCAA rules and because he hasn't received a signed letter of intent, Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, appearing on ESPNU's broadcast of national signing day, said he could not talk about Collins.

"The family was not on the same page and needed to work things out," said school athletic director Mike Collins, who is not related to Alex.

Attempts to reach South Plantation head coach Doug Gatewood and McDonald were unsuccessful. The high school was closed off to all media Wednesday.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Collins, ranked 57th by ESPN, verbally committed to Arkansas on Monday, choosing the Razorbacks over Miami, Florida, Wisconsin and Florida State. He made his commitment during a Fox Sports South broadcast that also included No. 1 ESPN 150 inside linebacker Reuben Foster announcing his decision to play for Alabama.

Collins had been a longtime commit to Miami until he reopened his recruitment in November. He ran for 1,276 yards and 14 touchdowns during his senior season.

Collins has stayed relatively quiet for much of his recruitment and today he only sent a tweet later from his account that simply said, "Everything is going to be alright."

Collins' teammate and best friend, John Franklin, said Collins was dealing with the situation as well as could be expected.

"He's pretty upset about everything but I think things are going to get worked out," said Franklin, who signed with Florida State on Wednesday. "At least they are talking right now. It's been pretty tough on Alex since he made the decision."

web page

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Legend
Legend
If he's 18, why does he need a parent or guardian to sign for him? I just don't get that rule.

The mother does seem to be rather selfish and childish. She doesn't like his decision .... which is his decision to make ..... so she hides the LOI? I agree with you. I'd try to get as far away as possible too.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
cfrs15 #753236 02/07/13 06:37 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I bet Notre Dame got all their players in person rather than on the phone or Email...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

+1 I really didn't figure he would choose us over Alabama.

He is a good one. He played at Ridgeland HS, near here. I saw him play in one game here.

Nice job.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #753238 02/07/13 11:00 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Sounds like a hell of a class, although outside of Bell, will any of these guys see the field in September?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Sounds like a hell of a class, although outside of Bell, will any of these guys see the field in September?

I don't know, I don't follow the Bucs all that closely anymore.

The Gators had another great class.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

that ezekiel kid from St.L may see the field next season as well.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

that ezekiel kid from St.L may see the field next season as well.

the RB? no doubt.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Why wouldn't they?

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #753243 02/07/13 12:45 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Why wouldn't they?

lots of talent ahead of them as well.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I was legitimately asking, because I don't know much about thsese guys. I read up on Bell and it sounds like he can play immediately. The RB out of Missouri can probably play immediately too just because of the position.

Do you guys think Urban goes after his big fish QB next year? Seems like he is always able to land that big time guy.

I'm surprised he didn't go harder after Trebisky from Mentor, but it sounds like he was dead set on starting immediately and with Braxton only going into his junior year, it just wasn't going to happen for us.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why wouldn't they?

lots of talent ahead of them as well.

Nobody has more talent than Alabama and freshmen still find a way to get on the field.. if you're good enough, you will play. OSU has something like 12 going to the combine so I don't know how many they are losing overall but at least a few of these freshman should be able to step in and play.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #753246 02/07/13 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Any LB worth his salt has a shot a hitting the field this season !

DCDAWGFAN #753247 02/07/13 02:54 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
OSU has 7 going to the combine and several of the picks will be late rounders this year.

anyway, Sperg specifically asked about playing September (and I assume non-mopup duty). Bama doesn't get many freshman in that role, the turnaround is too quick.

now, if the kids are on campus right now, then the odds go up (I don't track that close enough to know which ones that applies to).

#gmstrong
U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Quote:

I think we'll see some of Dontre Wilson for sure this coming season.

Legend
Legend
Dad signed the NLI .... so Mom might have hired a lawyer.

Father signs Alex Collins' NLI as mom hires lawyer - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...om-hires-lawyer

The college destination of five-star running back Alex Collins has been decided -- but that doesn't mean the wildest story of Signing Day 2013 is ready to be put to bed just yet.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Thursday that the nation's No. 1 tailback recruit would sign with Arkansas as originally planned, with sources indicating Collins' father, Johnny Collins, would sign his National Letter of Intent. Collins' mother, Andrea McDonald, refused to sign the NLI at Collins' planned Signing Day ceremony on Wednesday.

As reported, Collins and his father signed the NLI and the younger Collins officially announced for the Razorbacks -- hat included -- at 1:30 p.m. ET on Thursday at a local restaurant.

"I'm happy. I'm excited. I'm glad it's over," Collins said after signing. "I didn't think about going anywhere else because I had my mind set.

"I just talked to my mom. I let her know. I explained myself and we had a better understanding."

The official Razorback football Twitter feed issued this tweet shortly afterward:

Arkansas has received signed paper from Alex Collins, RB, 5-11, 207, Fort Lauderdale Fla. (South Plantation HS)

Sources indicated to CBSSports.com that Collins' faxed NLI had been approved by the Arkansas compliance office and that the school was in contact with McDonald to resolve any further issues.

"The last conversation I had with her was basically why I chose Arkansas and why I felt the love at Arkansas," Collins said. "She always supported me. It's just the fact that from her standpoint, she wanted to make sure that this is the right decision for me -- that I'm not just picking a school, that I understand what I'm getting myself into, that I'm leaving the state, that I'm going to be a four-to-five hours plane ride away and to make sure that this is what I always want to do.

"At first, it was kind of upsetting because I was ready to get it over with," Collins added. "I was ready to sign. I was ready to get it done.

"But then to postpone it, it's not a big problem. It's not a big deal because I just did it the next day. It's understandable to take the right precaution and not make a mistake that you're going to regret for the rest of my life."

Complicating matters, however, is that McDonald has hired legal representation concerning her son's NLI and college choice. She will be represented by Jack Paris of the Cochran Firm, a press release stated.

“Alex's family has been overwhelmed with media inquiries regarding their impending decision,” Paris said. “They want to make a clean choice that is free of any outside influences. This is a very tough decision, and they are weighing their options very carefully. In the meantime, they have requested the Cochran Firm's assistance in clearing up any false or inaccurate statements in the press.”

Collins' father told CBS 4 Miami that he wasn't aware of the circumstances of Wednesday's failed signing until after the fact, when Alex contacted him. Collins told CBS 4 that though his mother could not attend the Thursday signing, she had approved it.

Both Collins and his father told CBSSports.com at Thursday's press conference that they were unaware of McDonald's efforts to retain an attorney. Collins said that his mother was unable to attend the signing due to work obligations -- and that the apparent rift between McDonald and her son has been blown out of proportion.

"When we first got to the school [Wednesday], everybody was at the ceremony. My mom pulled me aside, and we kind of talked about it and how she wanted to make sure this was the right decision," Collins said. "And throughout the middle of our conversation -- we were stashed out in a private room that we were talking in -- and our conversation wasn't finished. And she basically let them know that she doesn't want to make a decision right now.

"Eventually she left. It's not like she took the papers and ran. But we talked about it, and it got cut short before I had the chance to tell her how I really feel. It was just her telling me how she feels and I wasn't able to respond, so we kind of finished that conversation after everything was over, and now I'm making my decision today."

Collins' aunt, Loretta Collins, however, said there was still more work to do to have the family completely on the same page.

"[Alex] and his mom have to talk some more about the situation," she said. "I mean I'm not saying that she won't support him, but he would have loved for her to have been here today to see all of this."

A second statement issued by Paris would seem to support Loretta's contention. That statement in full:

“Ms. McDonald understands that Alex has received consent from his father who has signed the letter-of-intent for him to play football for the University of Arkansas. However, our client's initial intentions remain unchanged. She is a loving and caring mother who only wants her son to choose a university without any outside and inappropriate influences. Ms. McDonald hopes all NCAA rules and regulations were followed during today's signing. She is not seeking any personal financial gain because her only concern is for Alex's happiness and well being. The Cochran Firm is standing by Ms. McDonald in this difficult time and has made all of the firm's resources available to her as she explores her options.”
It might not be too far out on a limb to expect some forthcoming legal action designed to prevent Collins from attending Arkansas.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Mom has some problems...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Legal action?!? On what friggin grounds?

Kid is 18... got a full ride scholarship to a D1 school to get an education, play football, with free room and board... MOST parents would be THRILLED.... get over it lady....

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #753252 02/08/13 01:43 AM
Legend
Legend
Obviously she should be 100% in charge of her son's life ........ and if not, she should sue.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds to me like Mom was looking forward to having her son playing at "THE U" and collecting the benefits down on south beach. Nobody is going to comp her free meals and such now that sonny is in Arkansas.

LOL....

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Mom has problems.... I feel bad for the kid.. I guess if he's successful in college and gets drafted by anybody but the Dolphins he won't be allowed to play.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #753255 02/08/13 11:02 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Mom has problems.... I feel bad for the kid.. I guess if he's successful in college and gets drafted by anybody but the Dolphins he won't be allowed to play.

No, when that happens he'll have millions. Mom will love her little boy again!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

If he's 18, why does he need a parent or guardian to sign for him? I just don't get that rule.

The mother does seem to be rather selfish and childish. She doesn't like his decision .... which is his decision to make ..... so she hides the LOI? I agree with you. I'd try to get as far away as possible too.

I believe he's only 17... but NCAA rules require anyone under age 21 to have a parent sign.

As far as his mom getting a lawyer. It could possibly revoke the letter of intent, but it wont matter. She cant prevent him from enrolling where he wants and she cant prevent him from receiving a scholarship for football. She can only negate the letter of intent.

Paco #753257 02/08/13 08:00 PM
Legend
Legend
17 I can understand ..... but it's the whole 21 and under thing I don't get. I think that a kid who can sign up for military service at 18 should be able to decide his academic future at 18 as well.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

"She always supported me. It's just the fact that from her standpoint, she wanted to make sure that this is the right decision for me -- that I'm not just picking a school, that I understand what I'm getting myself into, that I'm leaving the state, that I'm going to be a four-to-five hours plane ride away and to make sure that this is what I always want to do.

And she waited until Signing Day because??????????

I mean, how long has he had this decision in front of him that they could have spoken about it? Why wait until THE DAY to have a hissy fit about it?

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
BrownsBabe #753259 02/08/13 08:40 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

"She always supported me. It's just the fact that from her standpoint, she wanted to make sure that this is the right decision for me -- that I'm not just picking a school, that I understand what I'm getting myself into, that I'm leaving the state, that I'm going to be a four-to-five hours plane ride away and to make sure that this is what I always want to do.

And she waited until Signing Day because??????????

I mean, how long has he had this decision in front of him that they could have spoken about it? Why wait until THE DAY to have a hissy fit about it?

My guess would be that she felt that she would talk him into staying in state until the very last second ..... and when she couldn't, she freaked out.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Signing Day

Link Copied to Clipboard