Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Granted it's a more severe penalty, but felony assault? These aren't the Saints and there's no intent to injure. Using the idiosyncrasies of the rulebook to win games is part of the NFL, and the ones that did it best are considered innovative geniuses. I'm in no way considering Flacco in that light, but I would not have held that act against him.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

What Flacco proposed was no different than taking a hold or PI on a receiver that's about to blow by a db, and that's considered a smart play. How is this different?

So you would condone that kinda thinking as HC of an NFL Team>?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What Flacco proposed was no different than taking a hold or PI on a receiver that's about to blow by a db, and that's considered a smart play. How is this different?

So you would condone that kinda thinking as HC of an NFL Team>?

As a last ditch effort with the game on the line?.....hell yes. Just as I had no problem with Harbaugh having his players deliberately hold on that intentional safety. It's not cheating, they're committing the infraction and accepting the penalty. As others have said, this is no different than a deliberate foul in a basketball game. It's the coaches job to win games. The NFL meets every year to determine the fairness of the rules and decide penalties for violations. If they deem something unfair or unsafe, they can increase the penalty.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Would it be unreasonable to think that Flacco should know that the infraction he was considering would result in the opposing team being awarded a touchdown? Because I know that ... I would think a participant in the actual game would know it too. In that situation, that's not a strategy, its suicide.

Legend
Legend
It's pretty obvious he didn't know, and you're right...he should have. That would have been pretty funny if he actually did it.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
People 50 years from now would be reading about "Flacco's Boner" ... LMAO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I feel like you're asking me to explain the difference between misdemeanor and felony.

In a way, he is. What is the penalty for either? Is one a lot worse than the other? Then the crime must be a lot worse... What is the penalty for dragging down a WR when you know you are beat? What is the penalty for running on the field and tackling a guy?

People want to argue that its ok to knowingly break the rules sometimes but not other times. As long as breaking the rules, even if you get caught, is to your benefit, people are always going to be willing to do it... that's why you try to set up rules so that it's not to your benefit.

For example, that's why they made the intentional foul rule in basketball, 2 shots and you get the ball back.. because they didn't want defenders hammering guys on a break away just to stop one easy basket and give the guy 2 shots... and it happens a lot less than it used to...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

People 50 years from now would be reading about "Flacco's Boner" ... LMAO.

Considering his nickname was Joe Flaccid*...yes, that's very funny.

*It's not his nickname on this board, thankfully. And I think it's very dumb anyway. But that was his nickname on this video game message board I frequent (www.gamefaqs.com - I'll check in there maybe once a day as opposed to dozen or more times here. I'll go to see what's being talked about on a national message board....and every once in a while, read about video games).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
This is awesome. I would have died laughing if Ginn were going to break it along the bench and Flacco just decked him. Would have probably been the greatest moment in super bowl history.

Legend
Legend
LOL ... you chide one comparison, and then counter with an equally over-the-top comparison ... a player on the field, versus a guy trespassing onto the field from the stands.

The point he's trying to make is moot anyway. He's saying that *IF* the rule was that was only a 15 yard penalty, it would be a very "smart" penalty to take ... akin to a DB dragging down a WR if he got beat on a big play. Of course the game of football realized DECADES ago that this would be an extremely cheap and easy penalty to commit ... not to mention a much worse degree of rule breaking ... so they made the rule so that the refs would award an automatic score if somebody tried to do that. The penalty already fits the crime.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually the rule doesn't say "they will" award a score. It says they "may". It actually leaves the penalty very much in the hands of the officiating crew.

Quote:

"Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score."

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

This is awesome. I would have died laughing if Ginn were going to break it along the bench and Flacco just decked him. Would have probably been the greatest moment in super bowl history.

and one of the dumbest.. talk about a headliner for a blooper reel LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Actually the rule doesn't say "they will" award a score. It says they "may". It actually leaves the penalty very much in the hands of the officiating crew.

Quote:

"Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score."

You want to talk about memorable, forget Awarding SF the score, what if they didn't?

Last edited by ThatGuy; 02/14/13 12:11 AM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2012 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2012 Well,, this tells you what kinda guy Flacco is

Link Copied to Clipboard