Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Yeah at least we aren't trotting Jason Fisk out there at NT.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Just threw up a little....

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Just threw up a little....

x2

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I agree. There were some things I wonder about. They listed Taylor at DE even thought an article quoting a Browns' source or coach (I forget which) had him at NT. They listed Gocong at ILB. Could be true. Sheard as the WOLB. Time will tell.

These guys are tight with Lombardi and I imagine that many of these moves Taylor to DE and Sheard to WOLB were things they have probably discussed with Lombardi. This is actually a good thing as maybe he learned some things from Casserly lol.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. There were some things I wonder about. They listed Taylor at DE even thought an article quoting a Browns' source or coach (I forget which) had him at NT. They listed Gocong at ILB. Could be true. Sheard as the WOLB. Time will tell.

These guys are tight with Lombardi and I imagine that many of these moves Taylor to DE and Sheard to WOLB were things they have probably discussed with Lombardi. This is actually a good thing as maybe he learned some things from Casserly lol.

Point well taken.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I thought Taylor from the get go was a good fit or better fit for DE than NT in this new D which I don't know 100% but have a good perception of it as I love the basic system as my own favorite...Attack 3-4. Also Horton's history from the Steelers D. We will utilize a One gap slashing from our DE's n frankly if Taylor lost about 15-20 lbs of fat over the next year or so - I can only Assume there will be more discipline needed by the NT which is Rubin n Hughes...Not Taylor who does have excellent explosion for penetration...now to be used in a D that is going to require it n planning on it.

I don't see him fitting in Zone Blitzing but then I've seen bigger slower guys dropping back.

Gocong...I think is not from any inside info but just assumption cause he played WILB with Mangini...I'm pretty sure when we announced our Defense it was stated by a coach/FO I really forgot who...Gocong at SOLB...will that change? They had also stated at the same time Sheard at WOLB. Winn who might turn out to be our Best DE??? remember he was gotten in the 6th round. So although a JJ Watt would be nice we do not have to invest early to get what we want! Taylor is here n we assess that his best shot to helping this D n possibly stud out would be at the DE position not NT.

The Bozo's n Talking Heads - look at the size n weight n just ASSume NT.

We got depth guys at LB I think we have a URGENT Need for that Speed Edge Rusher Regardless of system which happens to be WOLB...Sheard might turn out well but his transition is starting this season just as much as a draft pick from 2013.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Actually they're not really going to know until they get these guys on the field and move them around. Taylor has played over center but I think he 'd make the better DE in this scheme.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Demontre Moore gets seven more reps in bench press

I'm more interested in his agility tests and drills...he showed pretty good explosion in the vertical and broad jumps at the combine...and people keep forgetting that he's just 20yo, dude's still maturing physically. He'll be plenty strong enough after his rookie season. He probably won't dominate from day one and need some time but I'm pretty sure he'll become a great player....the tests and drills will determine if that comes as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Hey guys, I finished my 7-round mock today. Doing this has convinced me that if we are drafting a FS, we need to do it with one of our first three picks. There were tons of pass rushers and corners in this draft, and even some tight ends late. If you're interested, here's the link.

http://cornerblitz.com/2013/Mocks/Post-Combine/

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Every once in a great while somebody will post something that just amazes me.
This is not it.
Just kidding,alot of work must have gone into that,outstanding job.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good effort, indeed! Question(s) though:
- Floyd falling that far to the Giants?
- Fisher over Joekel I can see, but Joekel will go in the top 10 (I believe).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
thanks

Legend
Legend
I'm not as crazy about Floyd as the media is. I still think he's a good player but I don't see anything in him that says top ten pick. Kawann Short put up ridiculous numbers on a Purdue squad that wasn't very good. I think there was a reason short was second team all American and Floyd wasn't. There just weren't that many teams picking early that I thought a DT was the best pick for them. DTs bust at a higher rate than just about any position and something just doesn't make me feel great about him. He still went in the top 20 though... That's pretty high.

I agree that all three LTs will go top 10, but only because someone will trade up. JMO. Ididn't do any trades in this draft besides the Alex Smith one that's already been announced.

Thanks for the feedback!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good job overall and I could live with that draft, just one little observation:

FS T.J. McDonald, Southern California
This choice would probably be Rontez Miles of California, PA, were it not for a Steelers logo tattooed on his shoulder. TJ McDonald fits Defensive Coordinator Ray Horton's profile of a "little man that can hit," and fills a need in the seconday at Free Safety.

Dude's 6'3, little man? He'd be a nice gamble in the 5th, but he's a project as a FS and SS, probably a 3rd S with ST ability his first couple of seasons....some nice value on day 3, we need more 4th to 7th rounders....I'd look to trade down in the 3rd to get a couple of extra picks on day 3

My hindsight mock, based on yours, strictly going with BPA:

6 CB Milliner
68 FS Swearinger or QB Wilson
104 TE Gragg
141 QB L.Jones or OLB Sharpe
174+176 2 out of RB L.Bell or WR Boyce or DL Logan

Maybe switch L.Jones with OLB B.Sharpe to get a much needed pass rusher in there, but I think we'll sign a big one in FA. We need to at least fill 2 needs in FA out of needs CB, FS and OLB, so we don't have to reach for needs too much in this draft, preferably FS and OLB, as this draft is deep at CB...maybe sign a nickel/no2 tweener like Munnerlyn as a safety net

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Yeah that's how I feel about it too afterwards... sans the QBs.

I took Horton to mean dbs that can hit, but yes McDonald is a big safety.

Thanks for the feedback!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Tony Grossi's 2nd first round mock:

Mock draft 2.0: Plenty of changes, but not at the Browns' No. 6 pick

Mar 08, 2013

by Tony Grossi
ESPNCleveland.com

Mock draft 2.0: Our second stab at the first round of the draft had 16 changed picks. Most came at the bottom of the round.

There were four changes in the top 10, five in the middle 10 and seven in the bottom 10.

Florida tackle Shariff Floyd was the biggest riser – from No. 14 to No. 3. Alabama guard Chance Warmack dropped the furthest – from No. 11 to No. 16. Sorry about that, big guy.

Five players dropped out of the round. There was a switch in the order of quarterbacks. Matt Barkley moved ahead of Geno Smith and went to Arizona at No. 7. Smith was taken next by Buffalo at No. 8.

The Browns’ selection at No. 6 stayed the same.

Our next mock undoubtedly will have more changes as free agency kicks off on Tuesday.

1. Kansas City: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M.

The Chiefs’ flurry of moves – trading for QB Alex Smith, re-signing WR Dwayne Bowe, franchising LT Brandon Alberts and releasing RT Eric Winston – have reinforced the logic for this pick.

2. Jacksonville: Dion Jordan, DE-LB, Oregon.

3. Oakland: Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida.

4. Philadelphia: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma.

Chip Kelly’s offensive linemen have to move fast. This one is the most agile of this class.

5. Detroit: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama.

6. Cleveland: Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah, DE-LB, Brigham Young.

I see no reason to change this pick at this time. Ansah is a certifiable project. But most any college rusher projected into an NFL 3-4 defense is the same. Ansah’s elite physical skills are natural, not manufactured. He is a football infant, having played the sport only two years. In his last season at BYU, Ansah lined up in a variety of spots in the front seven. That was a good learning experience for what Ray Horton wants to do in his multi-front, 3-4 defensive scheme. Despite his rawness, Ansah is now appearing in the top 10 in a majority of mock drafts.

7. Arizona: Matt Barkley, QB, Southern California.

8. Buffalo: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia.

9. N.Y. Jets: Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia.

10. Tennessee: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah.

11. San Diego: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan.

12. Miami: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State.

13. Tampa Bay: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State.

14. Carolina: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri.

15. New Orleans: Barkevious Mingo, LB, Louisiana State.

16. St. Louis: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama.

17. Pittsburgh: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M.

18. Dallas: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue.

19. N.Y. Giants: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame.

20. Chicago: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee.

21. Cincinnati: Kenny Vaccaro, FS, Texas.

22. St. Louis: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia.

23. Minnesota: Keenan Allen, WR, California.

24. Indianapolis: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama.

25. Seattle: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA.

26. Green Bay: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina.

27. Houston: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson.

28. Denver: Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State.

29. New England: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington.

30. Atlanta: Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State.

31. San Francisco: Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International.

32. Baltimore: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia.

Dave #755370 03/09/13 10:26 AM
Legend
Legend
I wonder why Grossi would have Arizona taking Barkley, when he wouldn't fit a Bruce Arians offense? Arians wants to be able to stretch the field, and to attack at all levels down the field. That's not Barkley's game. It is a system that Smith would far better fit ..... even though I have questions about him as well. I simply do not see Barkley as a fit there. They do need a QB desperately, but I would guess that Arians will be very involved in evaluating QBs, and I doubt that a guy like Barkley is at the top of his list.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I would guess he thinks Barkley has a better arm than you think he has. Or else he has ... sources. I was sorry to see the picks he has our division rivals taking, especially Moore/Pitt and Ogletree/Balt - they're good players that I can see fitting right in with those defenses.

Legend
Legend
Cubed.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

A guy I am very intrigued by is Sean Porter Lb Texas A&M. He had a very productive 2011 but stats fell of significantly in 2012. I have read that this is because A&M changed their defensive scheme and had him dropping into coverage more in 2012. From the few cutups I have watched I saw nothing to dispute that rationalization.

I watched the Oklahoma St and Arkansas cutups from 2011 and the Alabama from 2012. My scouting report:

The biggest thing you notice is that he is fast. He is truly a sideline to sideline player. Great motor. When rushing the passer he is a dynamo in the backfield. For his size he has a pretty good bullrush.

He is solid against the run. Actually quite stout for his size. I didn't see any big hits but he was a solid tackler.

In coverage he stinks. I don't know why A&M would take such a good pass rusher and change him to a cover LB but he is little more than a body taking up space. Very little awareness in zone and less than tight coverage in man.

Size. This is an issue. At the combine he measured 6'1 229# so he will need to bulk up as a 3-4 Olb and is probably better off as a 4-3 Olb. If used right in a 3-4 I think he will be a difference maker. Unfortunately we no longer play a 4-3.

Watching him I see a lot of similarity to Jarvis Jones' game and Jones is projected as possibly top 10. Porter on the other hand is being mocked in the 3rd or 4th round. The big difference is Jones measured in at 6'2 245# so he is significantly bigger than Porter.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #755374 03/10/13 03:05 PM
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Providing the Browns won't sign Phil Dawson (I hope they do but it's looking like they won't) does the team draft the top kicker coming out of college this year? Walter Football has Caleb Sturgis out of Florida rated the top kicker and is projected to go no higher than the 4th round and no lower than the 6th round. Unless there's someone in free agency that's better, I wouldn't mind them drafting Sturgis with one of our sixth rounders.

Last edited by Molly Hatchet Dawg; 03/10/13 03:19 PM.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would bet that we let Dawson go and then draft a K. Most people have Sturgis as the top K. Personally I like Hopkins from FSU.

Jester #755376 03/10/13 08:34 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If there is ONE thing we have been blessed with over the years it is Kickers ... Groza, Cockroft, Barr, Stover and Dawson, We even get good ones when ours are injured (Mark Mosley), So I look for us to find another great one ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Jester #755377 03/10/13 09:02 PM
Legend
Legend
I'd be pissed if we draft a kicker.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Providing the Browns won't sign Phil Dawson (I hope they do but it's looking like they won't) does the team draft the top kicker coming out of college this year? Walter Football has Caleb Sturgis out of Florida rated the top kicker and is projected to go no higher than the 4th round and no lower than the 6th round. Unless there's someone in free agency that's better, I wouldn't mind them drafting Sturgis with one of our sixth rounders.

Whys it looking like they won't? Banner said (and again, just taking the man at his word for now) we know who we are going to sign but no, we aren't telling you (the media) yet.

What that says is that we don't know.. there is nothing to report..

Personally, I think they let him get away.. But that's just opinion. I got nothing to back it up.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No reports that Dawson will or won't be a Brown. Just putting the dots together. Reasons why Dawson probably won't play for the Browns next season:

Past 2 years we couldn't get a long term deal done.
We won't franchise him for the kind of money he would get this time around
He wants to play for a winner
The Texans are a winning team and they need a K
He has a home in Texas
He is getting old and the Browns want to be young

Nothing definitive, just circumstantial.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd be pissed if we draft a kicker.

Why?

If we draft a kicker in the 7th round, and he's a 10 year guy, that would be a tremendous value.

It would be better than a guy like Clifton Geathers, who didn't even make the team out of trainign camp.

Face it, on good teams, a 7th round pick has a hard time making the team. A guy taken in the 7th is usually either a massive project, or a special teams guy. A kicker would be a fine investment, if he's a good one.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I'm fine with drafting a very good kicker in the 6th-7th, so long as he stands out against the giant pack in UDFA.

When we start looking at guys in the 4th or so, I think you'd be better off taking a gamble on one of the many in UDFA. Looking at guys like Janikowski and Nugent should show there is no real point in taking a kicker early.

Legend
Legend
Oh, I have no desire to draft a kicker with a high pick.

However, when you need a kicker, and you can draft the best of the bunch with a 7th round pick, then why not? You immediately beat out every other team in need of a kicker for that particular guy's services, and hopefully the best kicker in the draft should be a capable kicker.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I phrased my post poorly. I understood your position that selecting a kicker in the 6-7 round range is wise and I agree entirely. I didn't mean to imply you were considering an early pick.

I meant to insinuate that I wouldn't go down further to say the 4th, (or the 1st / 2nd with Janikowski / Nugent), because the top kicker in a draft is not going to be remarkably different from a guy you can get at 6-7 and sometimes UDFA.

Legend
Legend
I agree with you on that. I don't see value in taking a kicker in the 4th or 5th rounds. The 6th would be borderline.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I have no problem drafting kickers. If they are real good, I'd even take them as high as round 3 if I was drafting mid round or lower.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have no problem drafting kickers. If they are real good, I'd even take them as high as round 3 if I was drafting mid round or lower.

luckily no one is dumb enough to draft a kicker in the first round of the NFL draft.

oh wait... I can think of one person

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

luckily no one is dumb enough to draft a kicker in the first round of the NFL draft.

oh wait... I can think of one person

Even then I wouldn't call it dumb. Unconventional no doubt, but based on the kickers Davis got, you can't say they were wasted or blown picks.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Jester #755388 03/11/13 02:13 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

A guy I am very intrigued by is Sean Porter Lb Texas A&M. He had a very productive 2011 but stats fell of significantly in 2012. I have read that this is because A&M changed their defensive scheme and had him dropping into coverage more in 2012. From the few cutups I have watched I saw nothing to dispute that rationalization.

I watched the Oklahoma St and Arkansas cutups from 2011 and the Alabama from 2012. My scouting report:

The biggest thing you notice is that he is fast. He is truly a sideline to sideline player. Great motor. When rushing the passer he is a dynamo in the backfield. For his size he has a pretty good bullrush.

He is solid against the run. Actually quite stout for his size. I didn't see any big hits but he was a solid tackler.

In coverage he stinks. I don't know why A&M would take such a good pass rusher and change him to a cover LB but he is little more than a body taking up space. Very little awareness in zone and less than tight coverage in man.

Size. This is an issue. At the combine he measured 6'1 229# so he will need to bulk up as a 3-4 Olb and is probably better off as a 4-3 Olb. If used right in a 3-4 I think he will be a difference maker. Unfortunately we no longer play a 4-3.

Watching him I see a lot of similarity to Jarvis Jones' game and Jones is projected as possibly top 10. Porter on the other hand is being mocked in the 3rd or 4th round. The big difference is Jones measured in at 6'2 245# so he is significantly bigger than Porter.

He actually played 3-4 (OLB opposite Damontre Moore) his soph and junior year at A&M then they moved back to a 4-3 his senior year. In our D he would probably have to play the same spot DQ is going to.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Does anyone remember why Michael Johnson slid?...the Bengals guy who I believe is a free agent

Maturity reasons and raw...if I remember he had one really good year and declared..he's pretty damn good now lol

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone remember why Michael Johnson slid?...the Bengals guy who I believe is a free agent

Maturity reasons and raw...if I remember he had one really good year and declared..he's pretty damn good now lol

I believe the Bengals franchised him ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
The "who in the heck is that New Mexico Highlands guy" had his pro day on 3/8:

35 reps
4.58 40
36 1/2" vert
9'7" broad
11.8 60-yd shuttle
4.2-sec 3-cone

plus, he play football. I hope the Seahawks take him so the Ravens don't.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=842779-nfl-jordan-campbell-takes-part-in-pro-day

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Features/UTR-Jordan-Campbell.aspx

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Hey guys, I finished my 7-round mock today. Doing this has convinced me that if we are drafting a FS, we need to do it with one of our first three picks. There were tons of pass rushers and corners in this draft, and even some tight ends late. If you're interested, here's the link.

http://cornerblitz.com/2013/Mocks/Post-Combine/

Good work! Well thought out.

I would rather get a TE in FA, want a young aggressive safety instead at 104 if there is still one (i think Chud will make almost any TE good), and i dont think Lamar Mady will be there at 176 but lets hope.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Draft Stuff 2013

Link Copied to Clipboard