Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#758592 03/01/13 12:44 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Kinda interesting. Nice to see that he is setting himself up for his post-football future. Too many other players blow through their money, and have nothing when they are done playing.

Colt McCoy becomes Dunkin' Donuts franchisee - Austin Business Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/retail/2012/12/colt-mccoy-becomes-dunkin-donut.html

Colt McCoy is getting into the coffee and doughnuts business. The former University of Texas at Austin quarterback and Cleveland Brown player is a partner in Coffee Action West LLC, a franchise group of Dunkin’ Donuts, which ultimately will open 24 stores in the Austin area.

In addition, the franchisee has acquired two corporate-owned stores, one in Austin and one in Round Rock. Those are the only two Dunkin’ Donuts stores currently in the area.

McCoy’s partner in Coffee Action West is Dale Mulvey, who has experience in the quick service restaurant business, according to a news release. The company is financed by Michael Karsh, the founder of a New York investment management firm.

Of the 24 new stores, 21 will be traditional Dunkin’ Donuts shops and three will be stores in tandem with Baskin-Robbins.

Dunkin’ Donuts was founded in 1950 but has been undergoing a massive expansion the past several years.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
No check-down puns?

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I just think that it's great that he is taking what his football ability earned him and is making sure that he and his family will have a future.

I respect that immensely.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
A lot of players invest in similar operations and end up losing millions.

I suspect the difference here is that McCoy seems to have invested with industry experts and not his childhood friends. I hope it works out for him.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Exactly. Dunkin Donuts isn't some fly by night operation. They have a successful model, and with McCoy partnering with an experienced guy, his chances of success are better than average.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I heard from someone who was considering opening up a Dunkin Donuts several years back that the franchise model is pretty weak. He said they're not in the business of making donuts, but in the business of making more dunkin donuts

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I think they have a solid model. You just need to get in the right location. (which is a huge key to most businesses)

They advertise a great deal around here. There is a newer one out off of 680 on South Ave. in Boardman, and every time I have driven by there they have been wrapped. They appear to mainly be a drive thru/take out facility, with double drive thru windows.

Legend
Legend
psssttt that's not new but it is always busy.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
No what I mean is corporate takes a large chunk of their money as in franchise fees, making it difficult to be profitable, especially if you're the one that started the particular franchise.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Dunkin Donuts - good coffee, really blah-bland donuts. I'll drive a little further and pay a little more to get Becker's Bakery donuts in Fairview Park. As for Colt, good for him for having a plan for his post-football years.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I think hes going to need it sooner than he expected.

Legend
Legend
I just hope he doesn't fritter away this opportunity.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
We're finally getting a DD in Aurora,, Just up the street from Starbucks..

It's too damn bad that I'm diabetic or this could be like heaven for me LOL

I'm very glad he's preparing for life after football.. smart move as I think it's coming much sooner than he expected..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Glad to see Dunkin Donuts will be more accessible around town, but 24 new stores? I'm not sure Austin is big enough to support 24 new donut shops. Plus, we've already got Shipley's here, which is better than DD.

Krispy Kreme is terrible, by the way.

I miss Presti's Donuts. Their successor Gilly's was decent, but they weren't the same.

Last edited by clevesteve; 03/01/13 10:38 AM.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Glad to see Dunkin Donuts will be more accessible around town, but 24 new stores? I'm not sure Austin is big enough to support 24 new donut shops. Plus, we've already got Shipley's here, which is better than DD.

yeah, Shipley's, Round Rock Donuts, and The Donut Hole. With as health-conscious a city as Austin is overall, I think we could use a couple DD for variety, but this is overkill.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I always figured he would be better serving someone coffee.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Good for him.

I've seen the NFL doing a lot with its players to help them post-career. I saw on the Browns main site that Alex Mack is attending a Hollywood conference where he'll get some experience with screenwriting, etc. I also know there are business classes at the Wharton School.

Too bad most of these guys don't really take advantage of it.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

yeah, Shipley's, Round Rock Donuts, and The Donut Hole. With as health-conscious a city as Austin is overall, I think we could use a couple DD for variety, but this is overkill.

Plus, when you're looking for something super delicious and terrible, there's Gordough's

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Plus, we've already got Shipley's here, which is better than DD.

Colt and Jordan Shipley are going to own competing donut shops?

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think Dunkin is trying to step out of the donut mode, and compete for the gourmet coffee crowd, and the breakfast sandwich market. Even though I don't like their donuts, their breakfast sangys look pretty good ...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I never had a donut I didn't like. Even the rock hard ones my mom made were good after they were submersed in black coffee.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

did you guys know that they used to room together in college?

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Until you all have had Rise N Roll donuts you dont know a good donut.
http://www.risenrollbakery.com/

Legend
Legend
Sorry brother.. if it ain't a fresh hot Krispy Kreme right off the rack.. it's not really a donut.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Schuler's in Springfield, Ohio. Best bad-for-you, just what you are looking for. Colt McBoy will have the last laugh when he becomes a monster donut guru and comes back to buy the Browns and start himself. Hey, gotta have a dream. Good for him.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Is anyone else kind of concerned that he may be leveraging himself to the hilt and tying himself to a single type of business? A business that could eventually be in the crosshairs of some sort of obesity legislation.

I don't know but this seems overly risky putting all your donuts in one basket.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Dunkin Donuts - good coffee, really blah-bland donuts. I'll drive a little further and pay a little more to get Becker's Bakery donuts in Fairview Park. As for Colt, good for him for having a plan for his post-football years.

Beckers is still in operation?? Cool.

Before my dad's business took off and we moved to Bay, we lived on W219 in Fairview Park. A new donut shop opened on Lorain Road, so the folks would give me a few bucks to get a couple of dozen donuts to bring home, and I'd walk down Lorain Rd a few blocks to Beckers....this must have been 1956 or so.....wow. I must have been 7-8 years old

They would give us the standard bakers dozen of 13 (you don't get that anymore), but since I walked there, Mr. Becker gave me one to eat on the way home.

Shows how things have changed. A few bucks got you a couple of dozen donuts...a bakers dozen, and parents could actually send their kid out to run a errand at age 7 without fearing some creep was going to hurt them.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah Ballpeen, they're still there and they still do the "Baker's Dozen". If you go early enough, the smell of baking bread hits you when you walk in. Then theres the cookies, and the donuts, and the apple fritters that are to die for. Places like Becker's Bakery are going away in America, so I try to support them instead of a chain. I'm over in North Olmsted, but I'm familiar with the neighborhood you grew up in - its still a really nice neighborhood.

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Now that we are on the donut conversation, Mighty Fine here in Erie. Honestly, if you are in Erie and don't mind possibly getting jumped, check it out!

oioioioi
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Theres still one over in Slavik Village too, which is a really crappy neighborhood now, and getting worse as the older folks die off and more off the riff raff from surrounding areas takes over. Theyre still hanging on though and a lot of people go out of their way to support the business.

Beckers is still in operation?? Cool.

Before my dad's business took off and we moved to Bay, we lived on W219 in Fairview Park. A new donut shop opened on Lorain Road, so the folks would give me a few bucks to get a couple of dozen donuts to bring home, and I'd walk down Lorain Rd a few blocks to Beckers....this must have been 1956 or so.....wow. I must have been 7-8 years old

They would give us the standard bakers dozen of 13 (you don't get that anymore), but since I walked there, Mr. Becker gave me one to eat on the way home.

Shows how things have changed. A few bucks got you a couple of dozen donuts...a bakers dozen, and parents could actually send their kid out to run a errand at age 7 without fearing some creep was going to hurt them.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I really wish that I hadn't started this damn thread ........

I went to the doctor the other day ...... and I am borderline diabetic ...... so I can't have any goodies like donuts anymore.

This stupid thread is a constant reminder .....and I can almost taste a nice, hot, Krispy Kreme ........

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I really wish that I hadn't started this damn thread ........

I went to the doctor the other day ...... and I am borderline diabetic ...... so I can't have any goodies like donuts anymore.

This stupid thread is a constant reminder .....and I can almost taste a nice, hot, Krispy Kreme ........

You can, you just have to pick and choose your food. I was a type II diabetic, on meds for 3-4 years, but haven't been on them for the last 3.

Watch your diet and lose weight. I understand your inability to get much exercise is a problem for you, but you can still watch your diet and lose weight. I'll PM you a website that has helped me over the last 2-3 years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Like Peen said, you can still have a donut from to time, just don't overdo it. I am currently a diabetic (gestational diabetes), but just watching the portions on the higher carb foods, I've managed my diabetes well. In fact, I have lost weight while pregnant (which my OB is happy about and tells me when the baby is born, I should lose another 20, putting me at a weight I haven't seen in about 7 years). But, I have eaten donuts, candy, pasta and other high carb/sugar foods. It's all about portion control. One donut, instead of 3...that kind of thing. Good luck!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I can't have 3 donuts? lol

My doctor gave me a plan to use as a guideline. He said that he knows that no one ever follows it exactly, but to use it as a rough guide to manage things.

My main problem is that I tend to go overboard on quicker or easier stuff to make right now, and that includes sandwiches, pasta dishes, and potato dishes. All of these are supposed to be a minimal part of my diet, and it's sometimes hard for me to cook other stuff.

I suppose that I can have whole wheat buns, pasta, and mashed sweet potatoes ....... but those are all pretty disgusting to me. I can deal with diet pop and lots of water, because I have drank mostly diet pop for quite some time anyway ..... though I was drinking more lemonade than I should have lately.

It's just one more change I have to make. I'm just kinda depressed about how my health has gone to crap over the past 3 years. I'll make it through though. I'm too damned stubborn not to.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I can't have 3 donuts? lol

My doctor gave me a plan to use as a guideline. He said that he knows that no one ever follows it exactly, but to use it as a rough guide to manage things.

My main problem is that I tend to go overboard on quicker or easier stuff to make right now, and that includes sandwiches, pasta dishes, and potato dishes. All of these are supposed to be a minimal part of my diet, and it's sometimes hard for me to cook other stuff.

I suppose that I can have whole wheat buns, pasta, and mashed sweet potatoes ....... but those are all pretty disgusting to me. I can deal with diet pop and lots of water, because I have drank mostly diet pop for quite some time anyway ..... though I was drinking more lemonade than I should have lately.

It's just one more change I have to make. I'm just kinda depressed about how my health has gone to crap over the past 3 years. I'll make it through though. I'm too damned stubborn not to.

I would avoid the diet colas too, there is a compound in there that is the same compound that they put in medications that they give to anorexics to help them gain weight.

I have been a diabetic for awhile, and I have struggled with my weight, but as far as the eating. I only WANT whole grain foods. White bread, rice, pasta, things like that are disgusting to me now. I also avoid processed foods of all kinds and have even gotten into some ethnic vegetarian stuff. Since I have started eating way more fruits, and veggies and basically whole foods I have started to enjoy my food and the variety of robust flavors that are out there.

Also, a mistake I have made is eating whole grain stuff, but figuring since it is healthier eating more of it. Complex carbs are better but they are still a carb and will bring your blood sugar up, and should be eaten in moderation along with plenty of lean protein.

Try some ISOpure Zero Carb Protein. Keep your protein levels up and it will really curb your cravings. I actually really enjoy the banana cream flavor. Don't try to get it from GNC though, their prices are ridiculous. Order from Supplementwarehouse.com. Their prices are good and they give you a free shaker cup every time you order.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
With my back the way it is, processed foods are a way of life for me. I cannot always stand by the stove and cook a meal. Sometimes I have to throw something in the microwave and hope. lol

I am supposed to watch fruits, because they have sugars ..... I can eat them, but not too much in any given day. I eat a lot of veggies already. I just like pasta/potatoes/bread as the finishing compliment to a nice meal. I'll just have to use smaller portions of those.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Have the pastas and such, just smaller portions. Easy protein...those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. I buy those when I'm planning a Mac and cheese night for my husband and daughter. I have a small scoop of Mac and cheese and lots of chicken.

You can still do a Subway sub, just keep it to a 6 inch. If you go to, say Wendys, get the sandwhich, but skip the fries-do a side salad instead. i snack on cheese sticks and pickles a lot now.

If you're prediabetic, will you have to test blood sugar regularly? I know I need to keep my carbs down to keep the blood sugar down. I asked the diabetes educators for a raw number...how many carbs should I have each meal or snack. Good rule of thumb for me is 40grams of carbs for meals, 20 grams for snacks. When I stick to that, or really close to it, my sugars are spot on.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
And by sticking with my numbers, my doctor has cut my medication in half.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Yeah, I have a Freestyle meter that my doctor gave me. He wants me to test my blood 3 times/week.

I just have to figure out how to work this damn thing. They made it look easy at the doctor's office, but I keep getting an error when I try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Colt McCoy Goes "Dunkin"

Link Copied to Clipboard