Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

At one point, it was believed that Mike Lombardi and Ray Farmer were the finalists to run the Browns’ personnel department.

The Brown will now employ both.

Per a league source, Farmer (pictured) will become the assistant G.M. in Cleveland. Lombardi, who was hired as the V.P. of player personnel, will have his title changed to General Manager.

Farmer had been the director of pro personnel in Kansas City.

A formal announcement is expected soon.

Link

Legend
Legend
I don't know a lot about Farmer. Anyone have some educated thoughts on him?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Farmer's bio from the Chiefs' website:

Quote:

Ray Farmer begins his seventh season with the Chiefs as the club’s Director of Pro Personnel in 2012. He joined Kansas City after a four-year stint working as a pro scout with the Atlanta Falcons from 2002-05. Farmer oversees the scouting of all players with professional experience. In addition to evaluating current players in the NFL, he also scouts players in the Canadian Football League and all other pro leagues.

A fourth-round draft choice of Philadelphia in 1996, Farmer spent three seasons playing linebacker for the Eagles. He saw action in 32 games with 16 starts before his career was curtailed by a knee injury. During his stint with the Eagles, Farmer’s defensive coordinator was Emmitt Thomas, who was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008, still holds a Chiefs record with 58 career INTs and currently serves as the club’s defensive backs coach.

A standout safety at Duke from 1992-95, Farmer was a two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection for the Blue Devils and was also named to the conference All-Academic Team in 1994. The White Plains, N.Y. native set an NCAA career record during his collegiate career by blocking eight PATs.

He joined the Falcons in 2002 after serving as the Academic Coordinator for Football at his alma mater, where he also assisted in football recruiting.

Link

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

Anyone have some educated thoughts on him?

No.

But I have some uneducated ones. He's black, so the league should be happy.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He comes from the Chiefs,, doesn't say much there,,LOL

This from Wiki:

Harvey Ray Farmer (born July 1, 1974 in White Plains, New York) is a former professional American football player who played linebacker for three seasons for the Philadelphia Eagles. He is currently the Director of Pro Personnel for the Kansas City Chiefs

He was drafted by the eagles during Banners days there.

From the Chiefs site

Biography

Ray Farmer begins his seventh season with the Chiefs as the club’s Director of Pro Personnel in 2012. He joined Kansas City after a four-year stint working as a pro scout with the Atlanta Falcons from 2002-05. Farmer oversees the scouting of all players with professional experience. In addition to evaluating current players in the NFL, he also scouts players in the Canadian Football League and all other pro leagues.

A fourth-round draft choice of Philadelphia in 1996, Farmer spent three seasons playing linebacker for the Eagles. He saw action in 32 games with 16 starts before his career was curtailed by a knee injury. During his stint with the Eagles, Farmer’s defensive coordinator was Emmitt Thomas, who was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008, still holds a Chiefs record with 58 career INTs and currently serves as the club’s defensive backs coach.

A standout safety at Duke from 1992-95, Farmer was a two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection for the Blue Devils and was also named to the conference All-Academic Team in 1994. The White Plains, N.Y. native set an NCAA career record during his collegiate career by blocking eight PATs.

He joined the Falcons in 2002 after serving as the Academic Coordinator for Football at his alma mater, where he also assisted in football recruiting.

Education: Duke (B.A. 1996). Family: Wife - Vernet; Children - Boyd and Kennedy.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/staff/ray-farmer/d88d75a4-5e9d-4217-9c35-1d246717b9eb

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns named Ray Farmer their assistant general manager, the team announced today.

Mike Lombardi, who had been named vice president of player personnel on Jan. 18, also has had his title changed to general manager. Farmer will work closely with Lombardi, helping manage the pro and college scouting departments.

Farmer, 38, interviewed with the Browns in January as they searched for their new personnel chief. He joins the organization after spending the previous seven seasons (2006-12) as the Kansas City Chiefs’ director of pro personnel.

With the Chiefs, Farmer oversaw the scouting of all players with professional experience, evaluating current players in the NFL, Canadian Football League and all other pro leagues. He was a pro scout with the Atlanta Falcons (2002-05) before joining the Chiefs.

When Browns CEO Joe Banner worked for the Philadelphia Eagles, they drafted Farmer in the fourth round in 1996. He played linebacker for three seasons before a knee injury ended his career.

“Ray is highly regarded in league circles as an outstanding evaluator of talent,” Browns CEO Joe Banner said in a statement. “We had the opportunity to meet with Ray in our initial search for a general manager and came away extremely impressed. I have known Ray since he played with us in Philadelphia, and I am familiar with the type of person he is, his work ethic and his knowledge of the game. We are very fortunate that we were able to add someone of Ray’s caliber to our personnel staff.”

Banner is scheduled to address the media during a conference call at 3 p.m. today

Link

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I do know that at one time he was thought to be in the dell, where it's said that he took a wife. There's more to the story but that's all I have time for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But didn't KC have more pro bowl players than wins? Poor Qb play and bad coaching can destroy a team no matter how talented they are.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
But RAC always looked so cute in his big puffy winter coat.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

But didn't KC have more pro bowl players than wins? Poor Qb play and bad coaching can destroy a team no matter how talented they are.

Poor QB play,, did he pick the QB?

Anyway, you make a good point.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Seems like Pioli was the one that wanted Cassel.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yep. The Chefs had (and have) talent. They have numerous Pro Bowl players.

Hopefully Farmer can be a strong contributor to our personnel decisions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
If any of you watched the Chiefs Hardknocks episodes, Farmer was the personell guy.

I found him very unimpressive.

I have found Lombardi, over the years, very unimpressive.

I am not impressed with Banner.

Just not a happy camper right now.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm done (after this post ) discussing the new front office.

All I can say is they had better get it right.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Very experienced personnel man next to Lombardi..one of the guys the Browns had in line for the GM job even though Lombardi was the man all the time..but he has connections to Banner/ML..this was needed, to have someone else along with ML.
Farmer's background is mostly on the pro side , and this leaves Lombardi and Banner to run the draft this year and in the future.

Like the move.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 03/05/13 04:52 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Poor QB play,, did he pick the QB?

Anyway, you make a good point.

Well, it does say that he was the guy in charge of scouting players with NFL experience and other professional league experience... I would assume that Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn both fall into that category when they went to the Chiefs..

All of their pro bowlers...

Eric Berry
Jamaal Charles
Dustin Colquitt
Tamba Hali
Derrick Johnson

were drafted by the Chiefs with no NFL experience....

You do the math.

yebat' Putin
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns named Ray Farmer their assistant general manager, the team announced today.

“He adds a voice as just a, I think, top, top-tier player evaluator in the NFL,” Browns CEO Joe Banner said this afternoon during a conference call.

Mike Lombardi, who was named vice president of player personnel on Jan. 18, also has had his title changed to general manager. Farmer will work closely with Lombardi, helping manage the professional and college scouting departments.

“The change in Mike’s title was a reflection of the need to create the assistant general manager title in order to get permission from Kansas City for Ray to be free to interview with us,” Banner said. “There’s no change in Mike’s position at all. It’s purely an add of Ray. The title change just facilitated our getting permission from Kansas City.”

So why didn’t the Browns name Lombardi general manager from the start?

“At the time we didn’t know if this would happen, and I like the structure of a vice president of player personnel a little bit better,” Banner said. “Frankly, it gave [Lombardi] and the department something to aspire to, and I thought that was a good thing to have. But I thought it was outweighed by the opportunity to add another top-tier person in his department.”

Farmer, 38, interviewed with the Browns in January as they searched for their new personnel chief, Banner said. He joins the organization after spending the previous seven seasons (2006-12) as the Kansas City Chiefs’ director of pro personnel.

With the Chiefs, Farmer oversaw the scouting of all players with professional experience, evaluating current players in the NFL, Canadian Football League and all other pro leagues. Farmer, a graduate of Duke University who hails from White Plains, N.Y., was a pro scout with the Atlanta Falcons (2002-05) before joining the Chiefs.

“I’ve made a practice through the years of just asking people constantly around the league, ‘Hey, who do you work with who’s sharp, who are the young, up-and-coming people?’” Banner said. “Ray’s name started to get mentioned to me all the way back when he was in Atlanta, and then I started hearing his name some more in Kansas City just as a very bright, hard-working guy. [He] understood the elements of putting together a team versus just picking players, and that’s what got me to the point where we included him in the interviews in the general manager search, where he was just extremely impressive.”

When Banner worked for the Philadelphia Eagles, they picked Farmer in the fourth round of the 1996 NFL Draft. A linebacker, Farmer started 16 of the 32 games in which he appeared before a knee injury ended his playing career after three seasons.

“I’ve followed his career,” Banner said. “I’ve been very impressed with him and have always had [him] in mind as somebody that I potentially would want to bring into an organization I was part of, and the situation presented itself. We’ve actually been working on this for a little while and were finally able to execute it.”

Banner said there are no other additions to the personnel department in the works at this point, and coach Rob Chudzinski will continue to report to him despite Lombardi's new title.

"There's no change in Mike's responsiblities," Banner said.

Link

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Nothing about this FO has impressed me so far and this does nothing to add any confidence from me.

Banner did well in Philly for a while but as time went on, Philly went down. Like he never grew with the times. Everyone willing to admit it knows Lombardi and his resume'. Nothing to be excited about there.

Now we get someone from the Chiefs whose entire FO and coaching staff were cleaned out due to poor performance.

People can spin things any way they want. There's nothing impressive about any of this. Even the new owner gave up his job of CEO from Pilot Flying J like he was putting the Browns first. Then he turned around and now is once again the CEO of Pilot Flying J.

Good thing he didn't buy a soccer team, huh? Instead, he went back to putting his family business before the Browns. I guess that must somehow must be different in the eyes of many but for the life of me I don't see how or why.....

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Hoorah.
Finally someone in the FO actually has experience doing the job they were hired to do.
Of coarse,hiring The Pro Player Personnel chief exactly 1 week before the start of FA seems to be assine,but By God Mr.Lombardi is now the GM.
Time to celebrate and mark our calendars for 2016,when we can do this all over again.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm a little confused with the hiring and change of title for Lombardi. I know nothing of Farmer's qualifications so if Banner liked him and wanted to find a place for him in Cleveland, that's fine with me. I mean let's get real, with Banner targeting Lombardi for the job the minute Haslem targeted him for the CEO job, Farmer was nothing more than a Rooney Rule interview considering NO ONE else was brought in....which leads me to my wild assumption....

The Farmer hire was done to address the NFLPA's concern with limited minority hires as coaches or executives and would not be surprised if the NFL came in and talked with Cleveland about helping this situation out. And with tons of fans bashing Banner's minion hire of a simpleton VP of Player Personnel, altering Lombardi's title with a position very common on NFL teams also tries to address the fan base's assumption the Lombardi is nothing more than a "yes" man for Banner.

I know this observations is "out there" but this recent hire seems odd. Again, if Farmer is worth it, then fine by me! Banner's hires on the business side and coaching ranks look legitimate thus far.

The more voices in that personnel four-man decision roundta.....oh, wait.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/05/13 05:47 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With the hiring of Farmer as Assistant GM, does anyone have the feeling that the organization is getting top-heavy? This FO is worrisome to me; I had more faith in Holmgren & Co. (I'm likely going to get ripped for that, but it's the way I feel).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Nothing about this FO has impressed me so fa

well, they haven't had time to do anything other than sign a training camp punter so far

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing about this FO has impressed me so fa

well, they haven't had time to do anything other than sign a training camp punter so far

Right.

I'm not gonna throw people under the bus just yet. I would like to see come action during the season first.

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Quote:

With the hiring of Farmer as Assistant GM, does anyone have the feeling that the organization is getting top-heavy? This FO is worrisome to me; I had more faith in Holmgren & Co. (I'm likely going to get ripped for that, but it's the way I feel).

I won't "Rip you" for that statement, lol but I certainly won't agree with you on It. I'd rather have the Three Stooges In the Browns FO then H&H and Shurmur. Atleast the Three Stooges are actually entertaining (Although I did find the dumbness from H&H and Shurmur to be quite hilarious) but personally, I think our new FO Is pretty solid.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I'm going by my opinion of the resume's they are bringing to the table coming in. Hopefully they will show some things to change my opinion moving forward.

I've just seen people come I here with a lot better resume's do basically nothing to help this team. You might say my opinion is jaded based on the results of what I have seen so many people fail at before.

I'm just at the point where someone will have to show me what they can do before I believe anything. Just looking at Lombardi's past draft record should be enough to scare the hell out of everyone.

I would have hoped for someone with a much better track record than that for the job. I don't really see how he could exude any confidence from this fan base.

For everyone's sake I hope I'm wrong here. But I've had that belief before and it has gotten me nowhere. How about you?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The Farmer hire was done to address the NFLPA's concern with limited minority hires as coaches or executives and would not be surprised if the NFL came in and talked with Cleveland about helping this situation out. And with tons of fans bashing Banner's minion hire of a simpleton VP of Player Personnel, altering Lombardi's title with a position very common on NFL teams also tries to address the fan base's assumption the Lombardi is nothing more than a "yes" man for Banner.

Lombardi's title was changed because we couldn't hire Farmer unless his title was "Assistant GM." We had no GM. Lombardi's title changed.

I posted several articles with quotes from Banner on why this change was made.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Lombardi's title was changed because we couldn't hire Farmer unless his title was "Assistant GM." We had no GM. Lombardi's title changed.

I posted several articles with quotes from Banner on why this change was made.

Does it include the one post where you said "he's black so the league should be happy"? That kinda has the same tone as mine.

Either way, my larger question is WHY?

Tackles are tackles.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

Does it include the one post where you said "he's black so the league should be happy"? That kinda has the same tone as mine.

I was clearly joking.

Quote:

Why what?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

I was clearly joking.

Quote:

Why what?

Yes, I know you were joking.

My question is why was Farmer hired in the first place? I haven't looked up the teams in the NFL but would be interested to see how many have Asst. GMs. I thought, and perhaps I was wrong, a GM generally manages the scouts, player personnel, pro personnel, etc. Not sure what the Asst. will do? Which is may basis for appeasing the NFLPA regarding minority hires. Sure a wild assumption, but maybe not.

I haven't looked at the articles you posted regarding the reasoning for the title change in Lombardi.... But why not give him the GM title in the first place?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The change in Mike's title was a reflection of the need to create the assistant general manager title in order to get permission from Kansas City for Ray to be free to interview with us,'' said Banner. "There's no change in Mike's position at all. It's purely an add of Ray.''

Banner said he didn't name Lombardi GM the day he was hired Jan. 18, because he didn't know for sure if he'd be hiring Farmer as well.

"At the time, we didn't know that this would happen, and I like the structure of Vice President of Player Personnel a little bit better,'' Banner said. "Frankly it gives him and the department something to aspire to, and I thought that was a good thing to have. But I thought it was outweighed by the opportunity to add another top-tier person to the department.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/03/cleveland_browns_hire_ray_farm.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Overall, it's a pretty good article and I liked the comments by Banner. Hopefully we will get some comments from Lombardi since I'd assume Farmer reports to him.

I personnally don't buy the reason for initially calling Lombardi VP of Player Personnel, but that's just me. I'm skeptical of the Lombardi hire and equally skeptical of Banner's role in personnel. Those from the former Browns chat will attest to my obsession in this regard.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"At the time, we didn't know that this would happen, and I like the structure of Vice President of Player Personnel a little bit better,'' Banner said. "Frankly it gives him and the department something to aspire to, and I thought that was a good thing to have. But I thought it was outweighed by the opportunity to add another top-tier person to the department.''

I just had to quote this,what a load of crap.
Although he does bring back pleasant memories of walking down the midway at the county fair listening to the Barker's calls,trying to get you into the freak shows.
I can see now how he duped Mr.Haslam.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Seems like Pioli was the one that wanted Cassel.

Yeah I would have bet on that one now that you bring it up.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If any of you watched the Chiefs Hardknocks episodes, Farmer was the personell guy.

I found him very unimpressive.

I have found Lombardi, over the years, very unimpressive.

I am not impressed with Banner.

Just not a happy camper right now.

well, I can't argue Lombardi or Farmer. But Banner hasn't really done anything yet. I mean, beyond hiring Lombardi and Farmer that is.

I like who they picked as HC and OC and DC.. So that's pretty important stuff there.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Top heavy? Why? Do you have something against this organization trying to put qualified people in place?

We know you had more faith in The Big Show and his band of losers. Let me try and figure out why:

--Is it because The Big Show and his Merry Men were 14 and 34?

--Is it because the current regime hasn't won or lost a game yet?

--Is it because of the great drafting we had, you know, two QBs and two RBs drafted high w/in a couple of years? Drafting a stiff like Weeden in the first round? Trading up and giving away picks for a guy Minni was not going to take? Handing players jobs before they even practiced once?

--Is it because the current regime hasn't even had one FA period or draft to mess up or make good on?

--Is it because The Big Show took vacations to Arizona during the freaking season? The owner had to do interviews via email?

You, Pit, and others have a bad feeling! LMAO.....Please! Worse than 14 and 34? Here is what I think. You guys have a built-in bias against the new regime because you supported the previous regime so vigilantly and you don't dare admit you might have been wrong. God forbid!

Me? I am not sold on the new guys, but they haven't even had a draft or even went through FA yet, nevermind played a game or a season. I think I will give them a little time before I start ripping them like you and cronies do!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Top heavy? Why? Do you have something against this organization trying to put qualified people in place?

We know you had more faith in The Big Show and his band of losers. Let me try and figure out why:

--Is it because The Big Show and his Merry Men were 14 and 34?

--Is it because the current regime hasn't won or lost a game yet?

--Is it because of the great drafting we had, you know, two QBs and two RBs drafted high w/in a couple of years? Drafting a stiff like Weeden in the first round? Trading up and giving away picks for a guy Minni was not going to take? Handing players jobs before they even practiced once?

--Is it because the current regime hasn't even had one FA period or draft to mess up or make good on?

--Is it because The Big Show took vacations to Arizona during the freaking season? The owner had to do interviews via email?

You, Pit, and others have a bad feeling! LMAO.....Please! Worse than 14 and 34? Here is what I think. You guys have a built-in bias against the new regime because you supported the previous regime so vigilantly and you don't dare admit you might have been wrong. God forbid!

Me? I am not sold on the new guys, but they haven't even had a draft or even went through FA yet, nevermind played a game or a season. I think I will give them a little time before I start ripping them like you and cronies do!

Vers, seriously?

You ripped Holmgren and Shurmur THE MINUTE they were hired because you were upset Mangini was fired as you thought he was moving things in the right direction. They didn't play any games or draft any players either. Isn't this current situation kinda like the same thing?? The only difference here is the past regime is gone and you have the luxury of being on the right end of the fence.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/05/13 07:59 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I have to agree with you here. I can't understand how many are seriously convinced that these guys will fail. I understand the Lombardi thing, but Banner was successful at Philly. I believe his downfall, and only one, was giving Reid total control.

Chud, I like. I think he has proven he belongs in this league as a coach. But, more than that, I like that he has admitted he will lean on Norv for help as a HC.

Horton comes from the Labeau school of defense. He has had good results as an assistant, so him I like also.

Then you have Turner. As a OC, IMO, he is one of the best. I didn't like him as a HC, but running an offense and teaching players, he is great.

This being said, I feel that they really need to actually do something before they are criticized, and I include Lombardi in that comment.

Good coaches with a good core of young players, should get some optimism.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Vers, seriously?

You ripped Holmgren and Shurmur THE MINUTE they were hired because you were upset Mangini was fired as you thought he was moving things in the right direction.

Yes, seriously.

And you are telling a lie. I didn't rip The Big Show before his first FA period. I didn't rip him before his first draft. I didn't even rip him during the first season until I saw what he was up to. You know, when he came out and said "I didn't think I was going to fire Eric until I woke up this morning..." Then, I ripped him.

Don't make crap up, Memphis!

You guys seem to have the need to make everyone despise the FO because you do. You did it on the other board and you both come over here and start the same stuff. How about you give them at least one stinking year before the all-out attacks?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Vers, seriously?

You ripped Holmgren and Shurmur THE MINUTE they were hired because you were upset Mangini was fired as you thought he was moving things in the right direction.

Yes, seriously.

And you are telling a lie. I didn't rip The Big Show before his first FA period. I didn't rip him before his first draft. I didn't even rip him during the first season until I saw what he was up to. You know, when he came out and said "I didn't think I was going to fire Eric until I woke up this morning..." Then, I ripped him.

Don't make crap up, Memphis!

You guys seem to have the need to make everyone despise the FO because you do. You did it on the other board and you both come over here and start the same stuff. How about you give them at least one stinking year before the all-out attacks?

Vers, with all due respect, I am not making anything up. In fact, believe it or not, your comments after the Mangini firing and subsequent Holmgren hiring were the very reason I posted regularly on the Browns chat board. You were my instant conflict. You created the Memphis Frankenstein....what were you thinking!

Sorry, but you bashed everything. You and Upbeat. From the very moment Holmgren was hired. His past in Seattle as an executive and all that. Shurmur and his few years as an OC. Sorry, but you did. Now whether that was more because Mangini was gone, I don't know. But either way, it happened or I wouldn't be a regular poster.

But I don't have a problem with it, frankly. Although I disagreed with it at the time, I don't think we need to see a draft class or a game played for anyone. For both regimes (past and current) there is/was a sample size of performance already available. The question this time around is whether or not their skills have improved over time (in Lombardi's case), or because prior work situations changed perspective (in Banner's case) or because someone is poised to take the next leap (in Chud's case).

Just a reminder to you as I know we've gotten into in a bit in the past on a prior board. I'm not the biggest Holmgren and Shurmur fan in the world. In fact, their departure is fine by me. People can be skeptical because of previous results. Like many have been in the past.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree with you here. I can't understand how many are seriously convinced that these guys will fail. I understand the Lombardi thing, but Banner was successful at Philly. I believe his downfall, and only one, was giving Reid total control.

Chud, I like. I think he has proven he belongs in this league as a coach. But, more than that, I like that he has admitted he will lean on Norv for help as a HC.

Horton comes from the Labeau school of defense. He has had good results as an assistant, so him I like also.

Then you have Turner. As a OC, IMO, he is one of the best. I didn't like him as a HC, but running an offense and teaching players, he is great.

This being said, I feel that they really need to actually do something before they are criticized, and I include Lombardi in that comment.

Good coaches with a good core of young players, should get some optimism.

Excellent post, I agree we need to give these guys a chance before we toss them out.

That said your signature...LMFAO. damn that's FUNNY

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns make Lombardi G.M., Farmer assistant G.M.

Link Copied to Clipboard