Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
#WINdians.

Perez wanted to add some tension in the 9th (very Wickman-like).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #760986 05/08/13 10:42 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Perez wanted to add some tension in the 9th

Yep but Angel Hernandez was having none of it.

Adam_P #760987 05/09/13 05:47 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Perez wanted to add some tension in the 9th

Yep but Angel Hernandez was having none of it.

Perez is a "Drama Queen Closer,"

GO BROWNS!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
And I cannot believe they didn't reverse that home run. Looked to me like it hit off of the 4th bar of the railing, well above the padding. It's nice to be on the good side of a bad call for once though.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
You spend 5 minutes looking at an obvious call, and you come out and do nothing? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ baseball.

The funny thing is, Bud Selig and all his cohorts still think they are the nation's past time.

Obviously he must be out of the country on Sundays in the fall.

Whatever though, it's not like we've never been hosed on a call.

Legend
Legend
Dan LeBetard brought up a good point on Mike&Mike, he questioned what replays the umps were shown. If it was just the standard regular speed angle from home plate, I could watch that 15 times and not know it hit the railing. Once they slow it down and zoom in, it's becomes easy.

Maybe that excuses the umps, assuming that's the case, but it then becomes an indictment on the replay system if that slowed down zoom in wasn't available to them.

For the life of me I can't figure out why we need the umps leave the field to watch the replay. My wife could determine the ball hit the railing in 15 seconds. Why not have a war room like the NHL? MLB could have a few people watching the games and be ready to decide on replays like this. I know Bud would question how the technology would work, the startup costs and they'd need time to develop the procedures.....please, it's a room with 15 TVs, an internet connection and a few hardline phones. Such a joke.

But ya Sperg, we deserve to get a non-call every once in a while.

The interwebs are pushing for MLB to start the game in the 9th, tied, with two outs and Perez on the mound before today's nooner starts. Even if the call would have been against the Indians, I would say no. It was last night, the game is over, move on. This is golf where a guy sitting on the couch can call in and change a players scorecard 5 hours after they signed it. Just focus on getting the call right at the time (with a better replay system).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

And I cannot believe they didn't reverse that home run. Looked to me like it hit off of the 4th bar of the railing, well above the padding. It's nice to be on the good side of a bad call for once though.

+1 Seems like we rarely get these kinds of breaks. On the other hand, that one looked pretty obvious to me. I would have given the A's skipper a pass if he'd gone all Sweet Lou on that umpire (obviously, that's not his style). It's been a while since we've seen a base-tossin', hat/dirt-kickin' tirade at a ballgame. I kinda miss Lou.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Punchsmack #760992 05/09/13 09:44 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
I bet if it were the Yankees or Red Sox who got away with it, they wouldn't be calling for a restart, just saying.

You can totally tell that it hit the railing just by the way it bounced back into play, and how it totally didn't go how the outfielders thought it would. MLB'ers with the exception of Shin Soo Choo know those bounces and it's rare when they aren't in near perfect position.

N
Legend
Legend
N
national media getting all rankled over something that wouldn't even have had the possibility of being corrected just a couple years ago (w/o replay). yes, they should have gotten it right. no, they didn't. but, it's baseball, things go your way sometimes and not your way others. it was a terrible blown call in our favor, so let's just pass go and collect our $200.

as for those (nat'l media) suggesting that MLB 'corrects' the call and play starts from that spot, that is just absolutely ludicrous. with such a precedent, does that mean a blown call on the 1st batter needs to have the whole game replayed? a HR in the 1st inning could have just as much effect (or more) on a game than a HR in the 9th. that's just silly talk.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hasn't the opinion of every sports league been that once a game is complete, it is complete ..... and that the human element is as much a part of the game as anything else?

Mistakes happens. We happened to benefit this time. (for once!) Boo hoo national media types. Go cry in your cereal in private, not on the air.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

"There's no crying in baseball."

Bad calls like this happen often in baseball. The sad thing is replay isn't helping so far. How? I have no idea.

I'll take the win, look forward to a sweep this afternoon, and go into an important Detroit series with the momentum at it's highest.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 05/09/13 11:49 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
We had lost something like 8 in a row to the A's coming into this series ..... and now we can go for the sweep of them in a 4 game series this afternoon! Bring on the brooms!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
This seems about the right time for the Tribe's May meltdown. A's come out ticked, put up a game of something like 14-2 on the Tribe and it gets in their head like that Boston game a year or two ago. Tribe loses 25 of their next 28 and isn't heard from again this year.

Am I a Cleveland sports fan, or what?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I bet if it were the Yankees or Red Sox who got away with it, they wouldn't be calling for a restart, just saying.

100%.

More and more listening to the media heads puff out their chests on this, i am convinced that if this were turned around none of this outcry would be happening (except by us). We would now have "The Railing", a weeks worth of "The" clips shown 3 times an hour, and constant cries to just 'get over it'.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
clevesteve #760999 05/09/13 10:35 AM
Legend
Legend
lol You are definitely suffering from battered fan syndrome.

At least you haven't reached breaded and deep fried fan stage yet.

clevesteve #761000 05/09/13 12:04 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

This seems about the right time for the Tribe's May meltdown. A's come out ticked, put up a game of something like 14-2 on the Tribe and it gets in their head like that Boston game a year or two ago. Tribe loses 25 of their next 28 and isn't heard from again this year.

Am I a Cleveland sports fan, or what?

much, much too early. that usually happens right around Memorial Day. too many fans are discounting the past 10 games still. today honestly doesn't matter, we'll go and win the weekend series with Detroit to convince most fans that this team may have something real. then, go and do okay until that game comes right before the end of May and THEN comes our tailspin.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
jc

It's about time the mojo is in our favor, maybe it's the holy water I sprinkled on my last trip through Cleveland?

GO BROWNS!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, so far it doesn't sound like it's starting today. Via the radio it sounds like they're pounding Bartolo pretty good.

2-0 tribe, bottom 2. Kipnis 2-run [strike]double[/strike] dinger.

------------------------------

Make that 4-0.

Last edited by Flap; 05/09/13 12:45 PM.

Flap #761003 05/09/13 12:46 PM
Legend
Legend
4-0 Tribe.

Legend
Legend
5-0 Tribe.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Kazmir looks like he's in-control and the A's may be going to the bullpen by the 4th. Nice little Thursday so far ....

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Kazmir has 7 K through 4 2/3 innings so far.

He has been ahead of hitters again today.

He might work out after all.

S
Legend
Legend
S
It'd be nice to have a quality left hander all year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
9-0 Tribe. Reynolds did it again. The ball will land sometime next week.

Is is too early to start thinking about offering this guy a couple more years?

Last edited by Flap; 05/09/13 01:52 PM.

Flap #761009 05/09/13 01:55 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Hopefully his agent isn't Scott Boras.

Tackles are tackles.
Flap #761010 05/09/13 01:55 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd be thinking hard about doing so right now. He's been spectacular.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Chris Antonetti was on with Rizzo the other day and said that Reynolds wants to test free agency at the end of the year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Chris Antonetti was on with Rizzo the other day and said that Reynolds wants to test free agency at the end of the year.

That process usually doesn't end well for Cleveland.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Handshakes.

8-1 Homestand and 10 of last 11. Time to go to mo-town.

This team is kinda fun.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

It'd be nice to have a quality left hander all year.

considering Kazmir hasn't pitched much the past few years, I doubt we have him all year. let's enjoy the innings he has in his arm this year.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's fine. It will keep him pushing the whole year.

Some will argue the Indians will get shafted at the end, but they took the risk and might get a great year out of it. If he was hitting .210 with 2 homers most would be bashing the Indians for signing a bust. Seems like they can't win.

[Linked Image]

Punchsmack #761016 05/09/13 03:52 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, I don't understand how the Indians could be considered to get shafted when they are getting this production out of a cheap contract.

Reynolds + Kazmir + Raburn (lesser extent with Aviles, Giambi) have helped restore some of my faith in Antonetti/Shapiro finding those hidden gems in FA. Really, only Myers has been a bad sign from last offseason (and it was horrific from the day they did it).

#gmstrong
Punchsmack #761017 05/09/13 03:52 PM
Legend
Legend
With the new CBA rules, wouldn't we get 1st round compensation if someone signs Reynolds next year? That could lessen the competition we would face for his services.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

With the new CBA rules, wouldn't we get 1st round compensation if someone signs Reynolds next year? That could lessen the competition we would face for his services.

I don't think 1yr contracts qualify (why some were suggesting that Lohse might sign a 1yr deal to hit true FA next offseason), but I cannot find anything definitive on who qualifies for the compensation and who does not.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
OK, here's what I found ..... and we would have to offer him a contract worth the average of this year's top 125 salaries. (The amount was $13.3 million this year)

It seems as though salaries may have dropped somewhat with some restricted movements by players. That may make the qualifying offers drop as well.

As expected, new MLB free-agent compensation rules impact free-agent market | MLB.com: News
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130212&content_id=41560238&c_id=mlb

Under the terms of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the structure has changed. The old Type A and Type B designations are gone. When a player reaches free agency, his former team may make him what is known as a qualifying offer, worth the average amount of the previous season's top 125 salaries -- $13.3 million this offseason.

If the player accepts the offer, again he is considered to be signed to a contract for the next season. If he declines, the team that signs him gives up a Draft pick, while the team losing the player gains one -- though not the same pick.

The signing team gives up a first-round selection, unless it possesses one of the first 10 selections. In that case, the team gives up its next selection after that. The team losing the player, meanwhile, gains a sandwich pick at the end of the first round. This applies as long as the player signs before the start of the next Draft.

"We were balancing losing that Draft pick for a middle reliever in the past if he qualified in the Elias rankings," Braves general manager Frank Wren said on MLB.com's Hot Stove show. "So I think the system has whittled down that pool to a more workable number. So I think that's a positive. If you're willing to offer somebody $13.3 million for one year, you think they're a formidable player."

As Wren noted, the new system has reduced the number of players who end up subject to compensation. Players who might make much less than $13.3 million were often offered arbitration. Last winter, 37 players (13 Type A and 24 Type B) were offered arbitration. The year before, it was 35 (14 Type A and 21 Type B).

By comparison, nine players received qualifying offers this winter: Bourn, Josh Hamilton, Hiroki Kuroda, Adam LaRoche, Lohse, David Ortiz, Soriano, Nick Swisher and B.J. Upton. Lohse remains unsigned. Kuroda, LaRoche and Ortiz re-signed with their 2012 teams, while Bourn, Hamilton, Soriano, Swisher and Upton changed teams. Swisher and Bourn both agreed to deals with the Indians, who had a protected first-round pick. The signings will cost Cleveland its next two picks.

Additionally, as of this year, a player traded during the season before he reaches free agency cannot receive a qualifying offer. A team can no longer trade for a player during a season and be compensated with a Draft pick if he signs with another team.

The article then goes on about changes to the draft.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Hopefully his agent isn't Scott Boras.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago...after one of his bombs, I said to my dad, he's playing himself into a big contract that we probably can't afford next year. Was excited that we signed him....great pick up...hate to see that he might be just a rental. On a positive note....enjoy what the guys are doing so far this year.

Also I do enjoy the personalities they picked up...Swishers huge grin and enjoying the moment attitude, Reynolds more of a quiet actions speak, and Francona's experience and loose attitude. I think are doing wonders for the team

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
This team is on FIRE and without Bourns. And both Kipnis and Cabrera are hitting 221 as our 2 and 3 hitters.

We're smashing the ball all over the place and pitching is rock solid with the best back-end 1-2-3 punch in the league in Smith, Pestano and Perez.

I'll be the one to say it.

WTF are the FANS? 11,000 is pathetic. What's this years excuse?

kwhip #761022 05/10/13 04:39 AM
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I have to agree with that. Fans complained that Dolan was cheap, and wouldn;t spend money. Well, they spent a boatload this year, and have an exciting team, with some legitimate star players. I don't get what the hell the fans are waiting for. This is a good team, and exactly what the fans have been clamoring for.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Fans complained that Dolan was cheap, and wouldn;t spend money. Well, they spent a boatload this year, and have an exciting team, with some legitimate star players. I don't get what the hell the fans are waiting for. This is a good team, and exactly what the fans have been clamoring for.

This really PO's me.

We can fill Quicken Loans to see a team that couldn't sniff playin' defense under Scott if their lives depended on it, yet we can't get more than 10,000 to see what happens to be a team that has serious promise this year.

Yeah I know all about the people that can't afford it anymore, but I guarandamnteeya there's 35,000 that CAN.

I'll be there all summer long from Southern Ohio for 3 game sets.

It won't be long till Perez starts shootin' his mouth off yet again. And he's RIGHT.

kwhip #761024 05/10/13 08:53 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
I can't speak for anyone, but maybe the Dolans have already done their damage?

I really can't tell you. I know that my family all loves the Tribe, they watch all the games, and a lot of them do attend the games in person.

The Dolans did spend this year, about 18 million bucks more than last season. Factoring in the expiring contracts of guys like Hafner and Sizemore, they actually spent quite a bit in the offseason.

I think people realize that it's still entirely possible that they blow this team up at any point, and that's where the fans have probably had enough. You can argue all day about if it's the right thing to do, but a lot of these fans don't care.

When this team is putting a major league product on the field, and not stiffs like Jamey Carroll, and Casey Kotchman, and Shelley Duncan I feel like I can go and support them. I am hoping to attend a game when I get into town.

The Indians don't get the benefit of the doubt like the Browns do, right or wrong.

The Browns are treated like a special needs kid because they never got off on the right foot when the franchise was reborn in '99. That and the NFL is just a far better product.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tribe Talk!

Link Copied to Clipboard