Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Quote:

What I was thinking. Do we get another in FA? I like the guy from Oakland.

I'm all for drafting one as long is its not a reach.

I just don't see us drafting a starting TE in the 3rd round.

So I'm thinking has to be a FA. I'd like Dustin Keller. Is he still available. Had a down season last year, and has health issues sometimes, but he is the modern TE. Runs routes, good hands, fast, doesn't create issues in the lockerroom. He isn't hte greatest blocker, but that improves over a guy's career

Seems to be more speculation from Schefter at the moment that we're more interested in Fred Davis.. who I think would be a good pickup.

The fact that Jared Cook got 5Y/35M from the Rams hurts. That's one guy we should have been willing to overpay to get here. We should have been willing to go to 40-45M to get him here. He's a stud and would have really helped Weeden (or whoever the QB is) out.

[Linked Image from media.247sports.com] Pope Dezz!
Legend
Legend
j/c... somehow it escaped me that outgoing FA Kaluka Maiava is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's nephew. All these years.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

j/c... somehow it escaped me that outgoing FA Kaluka Maiava is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's nephew. All these years.

I actually remember them saying that about him on draft day. Too bad he didn't lay more smackdown here like his uncle!

D
Legend
Legend
D
He also hunts, runs down, and kills wild pigs with a knife. Or was that Veikune, the LB Mangini took ahead of Kruger?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Fred Davis tore his achilles last season. Kinda a gamble...

I want Brandon Meyers.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So I'm thinking has to be a FA. I'd like Dustin Keller. Is he still available. Had a down season last year, and has health issues sometimes, but he is the modern TE. Runs routes, good hands, fast, doesn't create issues in the lockerroom. He isn't hte greatest blocker, but that improves over a guy's career

Seems to be more speculation from Schefter at the moment that we're more interested in Fred Davis.. who I think would be a good pickup.

The fact that Jared Cook got 5Y/35M from the Rams hurts. That's one guy we should have been willing to overpay to get here. We should have been willing to go to 40-45M to get him here. He's a stud and would have really helped Weeden (or whoever the QB is) out.

You guys are nuts, just like the Rams FO....Jared Cook didn't even play 50% of the Titans Offense snaps last year, and no he was not injured. He's basically a huge slot guy, who has been inconsistent since College and with whom you give away the play calling...yeah, let's give a guy like that 7+mil/year

If we can get a F.Davis, who's a much better player, for less...I'm all for it. Depending on the money, I'd be ok with B.Myers too

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dave #761998 03/13/13 11:31 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He also hunts, runs down, and kills wild pigs with a knife. Or was that Veikune, the LB Mangini took ahead of Kruger?

Neither, that was payton Hillis wasn't it?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
No, Hillis wanted to be a spy, like Jethro Bodine.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Gary Barnidge (Panthers TE) could be joining Browns

Gary Barnidge could be joining Browns

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 13, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT The Browns appear poised to add to their options at tight end.

Free agent Panthers tight end Gary Barnidge is “expected to sign” with Cleveland, Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer reported Wednesday.

This is a logical pairing. New Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski, the Panthers’ offensive coordinator the last two seasons, is familiar with the 27-year-old Barnidge. The sixth-year pro from Louisville caught six passes for 78 yards and one TD in 2012 for Carolina.

Sounds like a backup TE to me. Not our final solution at TE at all

True. I don't see where we are going in regard to upgrading this position...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Neither, that was payton Hillis wasn't it?

No. It was Maiava.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You guys are nuts, just like the Rams FO....Jared Cook didn't even play 50% of the Titans Offense snaps last year, and no he was not injured. He's basically a huge slot guy, who has been inconsistent since College and with whom you give away the play calling...yeah, let's give a guy like that 7+mil/year

If we can get a F.Davis, who's a much better player, for less...I'm all for it. Depending on the money, I'd be ok with B.Myers too

He also had a QB that couldn't get him the ball. Good WR's go for 9-13M per year in free agency... so dropping 7-9M on Jared Cook would not have been a bad deal at all.

Fred Davis is coming off a torn achilles btw. Cook would have been a perfect fit here.. that's all I can say. Sick of seeing us sit on so much cap space. They had more than enough to go after Cook more agressively.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Paying ANY player 5+ mil who can't play all 3 downs is a waste of money and bad value...Cook was all hype and flash projection out of College and he still is after 4 seasons in the league...how he got 2-3mil more than a 3 down TE like M.Bennett is beyond me, but I'm glad it wasn't our FO to be the morons on this deal

#gmstrong

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Paying ANY player 5+ mil who can't play all 3 downs is a waste of money and bad value...Cook was all hype and flash projection out of College and he still is after 4 seasons in the league...how he got 2-3mil more than a 3 down TE like M.Bennett is beyond me, but I'm glad it wasn't our FO to be the morons on this deal

Agree to disagree. But it's thinking like this that has caused the Browns to sit on 10's of millions of dollars of cap space every year, not sign solid players, and perennially suck.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Seems like alot to pay for what appears to be an average TE. I would rather wait until the third round of the draft. There seems to be some promising talent around the late 2nd early third.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Oh my, we've never "sat" on 10s of millions...Banner even said that they had more cap space this season because of carry overs from the old regime, that was done by intent to set up the spending spree we're seeing right now

Anyway, here are some "grades" for signings as of now:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/2013-free-agency-deal-grader/

+0.5: Common sense shines through

Desmond Bryant (DT) to CLE: 5-year, $34m deal

If it weren’t for the money involved this would get a higher grade because Bryant is a guy who can really play. He was our sixth ranked defensive tackle last year with the sixth highest pass rushing productivity of all his peers. But he’s more than just a one dimensional pass rusher, and his versatility (he spent most of 2011 at defensive end for the Raiders) makes him an excellent fit for a Cleveland defense that needs guy who can make an impact up front.

Paul Kruger (LB) to CLE: 5-year, $41m deal

You could argue that this is too much for a player who has yet to prove himself a top level pass rusher. But what the Browns have done is get themselves a good player, and they’ve got him from a divisional rival. Considering how impotent their pass rush was last year (and they lost their most prolific guy in Juqua Parker) this was a need pick up, and they were always going to have to overpay a little for it. Kruger now needs to demonstrate he can produce pressure consistently, and as a teams top pass rusher. He’s building from a good base after leading the 2012 pass rushing productivity ratings for 3-4 outside linebackers.

-0.5: Did you really need to make that move?

Jared Cook (TE) to SL: 5-year, $35.1m deal

A huge projection for the Rams here. We all know about the tools Cook possesses and how he was misused in Tennessee, but it always scares us when a player hasn’t been extremely productive in this league and then gets paid an awful lot of money. Now Cook could be the mismatch threat that Sam Bradford needs to progress as a quarterback. Or he might be an athletic tight end who makes a few plays here and there without ever putting it together. We’d just like to see him deliver before paying him big time money.

#gmstrong

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Welker "seriously considering" leaving Pats

the fact that he's saying that means he's desperate to stay. FA opened yesterday, so it's obvious NE is willing to let him test the market.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

Welker "seriously considering" leaving Pats

the fact that he's saying that means he's desperate to stay. FA opened yesterday, so it's obvious NE is willing to let him test the market.

In any case, I'd be happy to have him here.

Dawg_LB #762010 03/13/13 12:41 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Any team getting him will be WAY overpaying. Same for Greg Jennings...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks DJang.

Nice site

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Kind of funny I think... reports indicate Pittsburgh has agreed to one year contract with Plaxico Burress lmao:

"The Pittsburgh Steelers and wide receiver Plaxico Burress have agreed to a non-guaranteed, one-year contract, according to multiple reports."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-...olbert-steelers

Legend
Legend
I like Fred Davis as a player. If he's healthy, then he could be a really excellent signing.

He would be an upgrade over Watson or Smith as a receiver.

Barnidge looks like a blocker/backup/special teams type.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll say this, in just one day of FA , this has been the most methodical and organized plan I've seen a Browns regime put together in a long time.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 03/13/13 01:36 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. They wanted to take care of the front seven quickly, and not be forced to need draft......refreshing.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Buccaneers | Negotiating deal with Dashon Goldson
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:39:14 -0700

Ben Dogra, agent for free-agent SS Dashon Goldson (49ers), said Goldson's visit with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has moved to the negotiating phase.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Desmond Bryant (DT) to CLE: 5-year, $34m deal

If it weren’t for the money involved this would get a higher grade because Bryant is a guy who can really play. He was our sixth ranked defensive tackle last year with the sixth highest pass rushing productivity of all his peers. But he’s more than just a one dimensional pass rusher, and his versatility (he spent most of 2011 at defensive end for the Raiders) makes him an excellent fit for a Cleveland defense that needs guy who can make an impact up front.

Did they expect us not to pay him? If he's as good as this guy says he is, versatile, pass rusher, etc.. then he's not being overpaid... or am I missing something?

yebat' Putin
CalDawg #762018 03/13/13 01:49 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Buccaneers | Negotiating deal with Dashon Goldson
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:39:14 -0700

Ben Dogra, agent for free-agent SS Dashon Goldson (49ers), said Goldson's visit with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has moved to the negotiating phase.

Link

crap

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
What about Carlos Dansby. He could fit next to DQ very nice. I haven't heard his name mentioned

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Carlos Dansby

ah, Karlos' Latino cousin. I like him berry much.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Keenan Lewis visiting the Saints

I'd like to grab him.

Yesterday, talk was there was interest by both parties and then it kind of went poof.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Keenan Lewis visiting the Saints

I'd like to grab him.

Yesterday, talk was there was interest by both parties and then it kind of went poof.

Man, I wanted him here

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
E
Legend
Legend
E
read somewhere reliable that we have not met with his agent at all. Never talked contract or shown interest. Maybe generated by his agent??? Has Talib been signed yet? He's my guy.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #762025 03/13/13 02:09 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

read somewhere reliable that we have not met with his agent at all. Never talked contract or shown interest. Maybe generated by his agent??? Has Talib been signed yet? He's my guy.

Actually Eo it was generated just prior to the start of FA by NFL Network about 3:45 or so yesterday.

Probably was just the Faux pros talking more mush!

I think I'd take a chance on Talib also if I could work good behavior into his contract!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c
Banner saying Kruger signed, 2 tendered and another negotiating.
LB, DE, TE. Who's the negotiations with?

BTW: In case you never noticed, Grossi is a moron! Told three times they'd release more info post presser and the donkey keeps pushing!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Hmmm, if only negotiating w one on day 2, how many more do you think we'll actually get?

And I sure would like to know what's up with Dawson...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hmmm, if only negotiating w one on day 2, how many more do you think we'll actually get?

NFL saying Sean Smith currently negotiating somewhere. Banner saying they're currently negotiating with someone...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

NFL saying Sean Smith currently negotiating somewhere. Banner saying they're currently negotiating with someone...

He'd be a great fit to put across from Haden

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency III

Link Copied to Clipboard