Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Imagine this .....

Kruger has played both OLB and DE.

Imagine, on 3rd and long, that Kruger slides down to DE, with Sheard lined up at OLB behind him .......

Could be interesting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
All Pro
All Pro
I agree Daman rather see him really kick it wiith Kruger

Last edited by Pepper52; 03/12/13 05:08 PM.

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't think we are trading sheard...

If we do it better be one heck of a deal!

Alright, where does he play? Just as a situational pass rusher on obvious passing downs? Or are we running a five man front with both OLBS doing nothing except rushing the passer and playing the run? I don't see Sheard covering a RB or TE downfield..... Kruger is our hammer, so now we need a full time linebacker opposite him. Sheard isn't a linebacker. He's a defensive end. Best thing is to move on and get something for him IMO....

You want to run a 3-4 you have to have the linebackers to do it. Hell, I'm looking forward to the time DQ is out of here. He's a solid Mike in a 4-3 but he's mediocre at best as an ILB in the 3-4.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Thinking about it more and more, it seems like we got a great deal for Kruger at $8 million per year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Imagine this .....

Kruger has played both OLB and DE.

Imagine, on 3rd and long, that Kruger slides down to DE, with Sheard lined up at OLB behind him .......

Could be interesting.

Sure, but that means Sheard sits on the bench until that situation occurs..... He's not a starter in this D, he's a situational pass rusher....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The full reboot begins today.

We're going to see a lot of players, Heckert picks, walk.

Sheard is a very effective strong side 43DE. I think it's a higher than 50/50 chance he's traded.

Taylor makes sense to trade as well. DQ might be traded too...the guy can't shed blocks.

I'm saying all this because it's reality not because I like it or don't.

This team is going to look radically different by the time the 2013 season starts. I am going to hope it's for the best!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Why does Taylor make sense to trade? He's a one gap penetrating DT, perfect for our scheme.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ray Horton hopefully has something up his sleeve!

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I don't agree with any of that. At all. If we were to trade one of our big defensive linemen it would be Rubin, not Taylor.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Why does Taylor make sense to trade? He's a one gap penetrating DT, perfect for our scheme.

I agree, I see the idea with Sheard. He's moving to OLB and switching sides of the field (assuming Kruger stays put)

But Taylor is exactly what Horton is looking for. Big, athletic guy. He can play DE or NT

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Let me say I agree with you that he's a penetrating one gap DT.

But he's not a natural fit as a 34DE. He's a short space, quick burst guy who is not a 5T.

He's better as a 43 NT/UT/DT guy.

I do think Taylor COULD do it. But he's more suited inside than lining up over a Tackle and 34DEs aren't pinched inside.

[Linked Image]
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
People are just freaking out because they are used to the Mangini/Romeo 3-4. That is not what we will be doing.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
now i think we need to focus on cornerback, some depth at D line and maybe another Lb

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

FYI from Cleveland.com:

ProFootballFocus.com ranked Kruger as the sixth-best of any 3-4 outside linebacker, and his 12.2 Pass Rushing Productivity was the highest at his position. He also led the Ravens with 55 pressures in 2012, while no other Ravens linebacker had more than 21.

Good info.....and a good first step by the Browns. Lets hope we can take a few more before the draft. That opens the draft.

If you head in to a draft having to fill holes, you limit your ability to draft the best players.

Only real crappy teams or really good teams can go in to a draft looking to draft a position. One is a good position to be, and the other isn't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't mind signing Harrison as a fill in OLB until we can get someone else up and running. He can still take someone's head off and I wouldn't mind seeing him lay tiny ben out.... We need to draft a couple linebackers to go with whatever we sign in FA. Can't HAVE enough linebackers in a 3-4.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

People are just freaking out because they are used to the Mangini/Romeo 3-4. That is not what we will be doing.

I think this is EXACTLY the problem. Guys are just accustomed to only seeing one type of 3-4

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Sheard is a very effective strong side 43DE.

Technically, he doesn't actually play Strong-side. He's been a pure LDE over the last year+ regardless if that's been the strong-side of the formation.

When teams line-up with the TE on the left, or shift and the TE goes to the left side of the formation Sheard didn't follow.

Kruger typically lined up on the left of the defensive formation, but did play on the right side at times.

The other thing about Kruger is that he is a complimentary rusher, not a true #1 rusher. He started going off when Suggs came back. This could add fuel to the fire that we still will want someone to take the other OLB position, which could mean Sheard gets moved.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Time to do the banana dance!

We finally make a legit splash in Free Agency in what feels like forever! Welcome to Cleveland, Paul Kruger! I'm more comfortable about our D now!

Last edited by Fox&Hound7; 03/12/13 05:24 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the correction. I understand what you're saying, just confusion from our last 3-4 to 4-3 shift. Matt Roth played SOLB. He generally lined up on the left side of the D-Line.

But yeah, there is no position known as SSDE lol. I'm just saying, if he can't pull his moves off on the right side, he's gonna be in trouble. TE's usually line up on the LDE's side of the defense

Legend
Legend
But what did Suggs do? He was playing with 2 injuries, and only got 2 sacks since he came back. He was pretty much just a run defending guy. It's not like Kruger's sacks came off of coverage sacks, or no one being there to block him. He was legitimately beating guys out there. I agree with you though, he doesn't do well against the run, and is getting overpaid.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Technically, he doesn't actually play Strong-side. He's been a pure LDE over the last year+ regardless if that's been the strong-side of the formation.

When teams line-up with the TE on the left, or shift and the TE goes to the left side of the formation Sheard didn't follow.

Kruger typically lined up on the left of the defensive formation, but did play on the right side at times.

The other thing about Kruger is that he is a complimentary rusher, not a true #1 rusher. He started going off when Suggs came back. This could add fuel to the fire that we still will want someone to take the other OLB position, which could mean Sheard gets moved.

Seriously?!?

If I told you that D'Qwell played the Mike would you inform me that he was actually playing MLB and not singing karaoke.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I think this is EXACTLY the problem. Guys are just accustomed to only seeing one type of 3-4

I like the options in a 3-4.....I have always liked it even if Romeo and his 3-4 sucked.

No doubt, the 3-4 doesn't work if you rush 3 guys most of the time or when you do rush another or two, they all aren't attacking the same gap, more or less blocking each other.

How many time have we seen 2-3 players attack the same gap and more or less block each other?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I would almost be shocked if we make a huge move at ILB. I have read that the team seems to like the combination of Robertson/Fort/JMJ/Carder at ILB ....... and they think that they can find their starter there.

I see CB, TE, and S as the next 3 biggest needs. I would probably put WR next, then maybe a G depending on how the team looks at our youngsters there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I agree with that. We have a lot of guys we can try out at that spot.

Legend
Legend
I have heard that he has quite the singing voice .......

E
Legend
Legend
E
right now got to think Gocong is our ILB w/DQ...until we release him that is where he probably is penciled.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously?!?

If I told you that D'Qwell played the Mike would you inform me that he was actually playing MLB and not singing karaoke.

It's kind of important because the change in defensive philosophies means Sheard is supposed to be an OLB. Since it's been told to me (by you I believe) that he was a poor fit for the right side of the defense, people on the board need to know that Sheard won't be a Sam or a Will, but rather a pure LOLB which hurts his stock and could mean he's moved.

Kruger plays primarily on the left side of the defense, but does move around. I'm not going to take the time to go through all the All-22 stuff to see, but I'm certain that Sheard never played on the right side of the line at any point in 2012, even against the left-handed Mike Vick. This adds fuel to the idea that we're not done acquiring OLB's which would, in turn, add fuel to the fire that Sheard could be a pawn on draft day.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Solid signing for reasonable money. I don't think this is saying anything about Sheard. I expect Horton has some plans here, and they may involve Sheard playing from the three-point stance from the inside. Don't apply conventional thinking to anything Horton does. He's too smart for that.

I also don't think this rules out a pass-rusher at No. 6.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Thanks for the correction. I understand what you're saying, just confusion from our last 3-4 to 4-3 shift. Matt Roth played SOLB. He generally lined up on the left side of the D-Line.

But yeah, there is no position known as SSDE lol. I'm just saying, if he can't pull his moves off on the right side, he's gonna be in trouble. TE's usually line up on the LDE's side of the defense

Not trying to correct you, Petey. Was using Hel's quote to make a distinction regarding Sheard's game, which is that it appears he never moved away from the left side of the defense, even when facing a left-handed QB. That means he may not be suited to move to ROLB if he's on the field, which may change how people view Sheard.

Candyman, there's a ton of chatter right now on the board so it's easy to mix people up, but I'm not of the opinion we've over-paid for Kruger. Had we given him $12 million a year, yeah, I would have said we over-paid, but not at what we gave him. He should have 5 good years in him before he gets to the point where he's a risk so I think it's a solid deal. I do think he's better against the run than Avril, but I don't think he's that great against the run. Still, he filled a big hole on the unit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would almost be shocked if we make a huge move at ILB. I have read that the team seems to like the combination of Robertson/Fort/JMJ/Carder at ILB ....... and they think that they can find their starter there.

I see CB, TE, and S as the next 3 biggest needs. I would probably put WR next, then maybe a G depending on how the team looks at our youngsters there.

I guess you have a point. Especially if Cogong is healthy, although I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut because of his salary and past with Banner.

I just get worried because these aren't big ILB's, Robertson is small, so is Fort. Carter's not a big guy either. JMJ is kinda big, but they'll all look small lined up with DQJackson.

But as people have said, I guess the 3-4 is gonna look different than that which we are used to seeing.

Legend
Legend
$8 MM a year will probably mean a 4th round comp for BAL in 2014.

Mike Wallace's $13 per or whatever will probably mean a 3rd round comp for PIT in 2014.

I'm assuming both teams have a net loss of at least 1 since their cap situations are so bad.

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. Sheard was never penciled in as the SOLB or Left OLB. Gocong was penciled there n Sheard was penciled for WOLB or Right OLB.

2. Gocong will move to SILB or get released???

3. Last year in training camp we wanted to move Sheard to RDE but moved him back to the LDE side cause he was just uncomfortable n just couldn't make the switch...It might have been his Rookie year...but thought it was last year...What I do know is they TRIED.

Pretty sure it was his rookie year cause they wanted Mitchell at the LDE cause of his size.

4. That was 2 years ago...is he over that? Would Love Bookend OLB Ansah n Kruger...Big n quick w/Bigger n Faster! No need to switch Strongside Weakside (TE side) just leave it be...n only movement will be dictated by US NOT THEM
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously?!?

It's kind of important because the change in defensive philosophies means Sheard is supposed to be an OLB. Since it's been told to me (by you I believe) that he was a poor fit for the right side of the defense, people on the board need to know that Sheard won't be a Sam or a Will, but rather a pure LOLB which hurts his stock and could mean he's moved.

Kruger plays primarily on the left side of the defense, but does move around. I'm not going to take the time to go through all the All-22 stuff to see, but I'm certain that Sheard never played on the right side of the line at any point in 2012, even against the left-handed Mike Vick. This adds fuel to the idea that we're not done acquiring OLB's which would, in turn, add fuel to the fire that Sheard could be a pawn on draft day.

What I'm saying is that the SAM always plays on the left side and the WILL always plays on the right side regardless of where the TE actually lines up.

I would think you knew this.

The players responsibilities change but the players themselves don't.

Now in nickle and dime formations where you might have man coverage responsibilites you can see some people flip around but in the base defense the SAM is always on the left side.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Especially if Cogong is healthy

man, you guys are driving me nuts today.

M
Legend
Legend
M
One storyline to follow as 2013 unfolds....He got 1.5 sacks w/o Suggs. The rest with Suggs on the field. Meaning of course, as Suggs was getting more attention, it allowed Kruger to make plays. That's somewhat concerning. What I would like to learn more about his coverage skills and ability to stop the run. I defer to others on here about that. My initial sense is he did a good job in that regard.

The money is less than expected from reports I saw. That's a good thing.

This team, no surprise, needed to address the LB corp, which they obviously did. It will be interesting to see what they do with the other OLB spot- whether addressing it in FA, staying with current personnel, or addressing it in the draft.

Overall though, I like the signing. It was obviously the player they wanted and they got him. Kudos in that regard.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gocong plays ILB when the Browns ran a 3-4 under Ryan. I don't see why that would change.

Legend
Legend
you know, if Horton's SILB is similar to a traditional SILB, he might be serviceable. His best asset is just sprinting to the LOS and hitting the first thing that moves.

God help us if he has to cover a TE.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

Especially if Cogong is healthy

man, you guys are driving me nuts today.

whats wrong lcevetseve?

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Gocong plays ILB when the Browns ran a 3-4 under Ryan. I don't see why that would change.

I agree. And he's pretty darn good at that position.

Question is, can he run and will Banner keep him with his contract when he already traded him for virtually nothing from the Eagles

Legend
Legend

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns reach agreement in principle on 5-year deal with Paul Kruger

Link Copied to Clipboard