Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Last year the Cardinals starting inside linebackers were Daryl Washington and Paris Lenon, neither are huge dudes.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Gocong plays ILB when the Browns ran a 3-4 under Ryan. I don't see why that would change.

If you remember that's not where he started. He ended up there toward the end of the season due to injury and flourished.

He's a good in-between the tackles downhill defender and I think that's what suits him at this point in his career.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Gocong plays ILB when the Browns ran a 3-4 under Ryan. I don't see why that would change.

I'm ok with Gocong there if we don't sign anyone of significance....meaning Ellerbe. Wish Gocong didn't get injured and had a year more to play.

Out of sight..out of mind.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Great Start Getting Kruger ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Also if it's me.....

I'd sign James Harrison to lock down the other side and draft the best pass rusher and groom them to take over his slot.

Watch and learn pup!

[Linked Image]
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Gocong is a great situational player. He has no business being on the field when the offense is likely to pass.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If you remember that's not where he started. He ended up there toward the end of the season due to injury and flourished.

He's a good in-between the tackles downhill defender and I think that's what suits him at this point in his career.

This is incorrect. I remember being shocked by him at ILB and Fujita at OLB when I went to training camp. Fujita and Roth started at OLB.

Legend
Legend
or if he has to make a tackle in space. Guy is embarrassing when he has to make decisions.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see Robertson win the inside job.
I think we can find someone out of that group though.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Cause he sucked at it...they also had him at WILL in the 4-3 with Eagles n then they put him there here when the change was made w/Jauron's 4-3. Finally after Fujita got hurt he went to the SAM position where he belonged...then finally on the Goal Line Stand he showed Jauron what he could do attacking from that SAM position...and to Jauron's credit he sent him loose more n more from that SAM n finished pretty strong.

Why I would prefer him on Kruger's side cause our ILB are not going to be playing discipline Gap D fending off OGs - they will be attacking Gaps blitzing all over the place! I also like DQ how he blitzes...DQ btw is excited about the new D...I know I know what else is he going to say...IT SUCKS but I think he's into it. Which is good - he is a good leader!

Now we get Ansah we got it made Jones too

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This is incorrect. I remember being shocked by him at ILB and Fujita at OLB when I went to training camp. Fujita and Roth started at OLB.

Agreed. Gocong came on as MLB in our 3-4 with Mangini. He did a good job. Then he went to SAM in our 4-3 when Fujita got injured, and he did a good job at that.

I like Gocong, he's a good runstuffer up the middle and he can get after the QB from the MLB position. But he is not much in coverage at all.

I just wonder how the guy can move since his achillies or ACL or whatever tear

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Well I wanted him, pimped him... and now I got him. Let's just hope I don't eat my words about him not being as productive as I believe he will be. Especially if we don't draft/acquire someone who can rush opposite side of him...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

.He got 1.5 sacks w/o Suggs. The rest with Suggs on the field. Meaning of course, as Suggs was getting more attention, it allowed Kruger to make plays. That's somewhat concerning.

Not sure why that is concerning. If we can't put somebody on the other side that at least warrants some attention, then expect Kruger to not get many sacks. This is the NFL, if they want to game plan to stop you, they can... if you can't beat them some other way, then you don't win.

In Suggs 8 games back when Kruger was getting 7.5 sacks, Suggs had 2...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That stat is inaccurate anyway. He had four without Suggs.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

People are just freaking out because they are used to the Mangini/Romeo 3-4. That is not what we will be doing.

I think this is EXACTLY the problem. Guys are just accustomed to only seeing one type of 3-4

If you believe Horton and I don't have a reason not too, he's going to have many different formations.. That takes varied talents.

Not your Grandfathers 4-3

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Some opinions out there saying he is just a role player. He needed Suggs on the field in order to do well. At that money, Kruger is going to be expected to be more than just a role player. Now, can he live up to the contract? Hopefully, D'Qwell and Kruger will be able to help one another. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a bust. The Browns and us fans can sure use a break....

We are terrible
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I like that the new regime went after Kruger. Strengthened our new 3-4 D and helped to weaken the Ratbirds D. Kruger looks to be a high motor player. Something our D sorely needs! Ravens are taking a beating in FA!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love that we got Kruger. What I find funny is Banner getting all the credit, isn't Lombardi the GM? Just saying. I mean I am not crazy about Lombardi, but he was part of the consensus here and should get some credit.

Kruger is the first piece of the puzzle, I can't wait for the rest.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Banner is getting a lot of credit because in FA it should be Lombardi's job to identify a position of need and the right player to fill that need and Banner's job to negotiate a contract insuring that the player will sign without the team overpaying.

In this case Lombardi's job was easy. We all knew we needed a pass rusher and who the good ones are. Banner did a great job of getting the player at a good price.

Come the draft it should be all on Lombardi.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we're gonna be ok.
I've chosen not to fret this front office.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
A lot (most) of you guys know a lot more about defense than me. I want to like this signing. But didn't we just get a guy who has only started eight or nine games in his career who makes one of our best defensive players redundant? So maybe he's an upgrade over Sheard, but if they can't both play at the same time, then our big free agent signing was to somewhat upgrade a position that was actually not even a problem?

I would have rather signed LeVitre or gotten some help in the secondary. Somebody explain this to me, please!

O
Rookie
Rookie
O
This was one of those necessary evils....you hate to over pay for a guy (8 mil a year) but we had a GAPING hole at OLB that needed to be filled....we couldn't wait and cross our fingers that Jarvis Jones would fall to us (although he may still be the target depending on how they feel about Sheard) because there is no guarantee about him being there....

it also opens us up to drafting by value not need at #6 overall...wonder if this is a signal that Dee Milliner is the target at #6?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes you're right.

I melted a couple things together. Damn you bourbon!

Gocong's play really picked up when he took over for Fujita at SAM a year later. He was a SAM in Philadelphia in really looked great there in 2011.

He's a great short yardage LB and a very good downhill guy. Oustide of that he's not real good.

I just confused the two.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Banner is getting a lot of credit because in FA it should be Lombardi's job to identify a position of need and the right player to fill that need and Banner's job to negotiate a contract insuring that the player will sign without the team overpaying.

In this case Lombardi's job was easy. We all knew we needed a pass rusher and who the good ones are. Banner did a great job of getting the player at a good price.

Come the draft it should be all on Lombardi.

Interesting read! I'm not sure of the dynamics of our FO as yet...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
This is great news. Our LB corp just got better today. Kruger will put pressure on the QB. He is a football player who's motor is going all the time.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns announced tonight that they have agreed to terms of a five-year contract with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Paul Kruger. As previously reported this evening, Kruger's deal is worth $40 million, a league source told the Beacon Journal.

Kruger is scheduled to address the Cleveland media Wednesday at a time to be determined.

Here is the news release from the Browns, which includes comments from coach Rob Chudzinski and Joe Banner:

The Cleveland Browns today announced they have agreed to terms on a five-year contract with linebacker Paul Kruger, previously an unrestricted free agent from Baltimore.

“We are very excited about the addition of Paul Kruger to our team,” said Browns Head Coach Rob Chudzinski. “He is a talented linebacker who is going to make an immediate impact on our defense. When you put on the film you see physicality, explosive pass rush and a high motor. He has been very productive for the Ravens, and proved it at the highest level last season in the playoffs.”

“Paul is the type of player we were looking to bring on at the outset of free agency, and we are thrilled that we were able to sign him,” said Browns CEO Joe Banner. “Not only do we feel strongly about his ability as a football player, but he will add a great deal from a leadership standpoint as well. He has exhibited marked improvement each year of his career and we believe he can help the Cleveland Browns for many years to come.”

Originally drafted by Baltimore in the second round (57th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft, Kruger joins the Browns after spending his first four NFL seasons with the Ravens. During his tenure in Baltimore, Kruger appeared in 51 games with seven starts, registering 70 tackles, 15.5 sacks, two interceptions, 14 passes defensed, one forced fumble and three fumble recoveries. This past season, he set single-season career-highs in tackles (42), sacks (9), passes defensed (6) and forced fumbles (1), while tying a franchise record with at least one sack in five consecutive games during the regular season (totaling 6.5 sacks from games 9 – 13). Not only did his nine sacks lead the club, but his 7.5 sacks during the final eight weeks of the season tied for fifth in the NFL over this stretch. He also notched 11 tackles for loss, one interception and one fumble recovery on the year. In postseason play, Kruger led the Ravens with 4.5 sacks to go along with 14 stops, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one pass defensed. He registered three tackles, including a game-high two sacks, in the Ravens’ Super Bowl XLVII victory over San Francisco. His two sacks are tied for the third-most in a single-game in Super Bowl history and he became the 21st player to record multiple sacks in a Super Bowl.

A two-year letterman as a defensive lineman at the University of Utah (2007-08), Kruger finished his collegiate career with 124 tackles, 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and two interceptions. As a redshirt sophomore, he posted 61 tackles, 7.5 sacks, seven passes defensed, two forced fumbles, one interception and one fumble recovery en route to earning an All-Mountain West Conference first-team selection. He was also named All-American honorable mention by both Sports Illustrated and College Football News.

Born on February 15, 1986, the 6-4, 270-pound Kruger is a native of Rexburg, Idaho, who attended Timpanogos High School in Orem, Utah, where he lettered four years as a quarterback. His brothers, Dave and Joe, each played football at the University of Utah. Their father, Paul, played football at Oregon State where his mother, Jennifer, was a member of the Beavers’ track and field team. Off the field, Kruger founded The Kruger Care Foundation in 2010, which assists individuals and organizations in enriching the lives of children and families who have been devastated by illness, injury and difficult challenges.

Link

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kruger at a reasonable contract

Word out of Miami is they've dumped Dansby following the Ellerby signing, not sure but Dansby may have ties with Horton. Don't be shocked if Carlos is added as depth for the LB cores!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

6'1 229 at inside linebacker? Don't think so..

O
Rookie
Rookie
O
Quote:

Quote:

Yep...Robertson is TC fodder if he lasts that long...no way Maiava walks (quality ST'er and backup in multiple fronts) and Robertson stays

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Maiava is a free agent.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That's about the same size as Daryl Washington of the Cardinals last year.

He had 109 tackles, 9 sacks, and an INT.

Horton seems to like big OLB and really fast ILB. I believe that Sheard is potentially one of those bigger OLB types in his eyes.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We sign the best OLB in FA and most of you whine. Your whining is fueled more by speculation and hatred for the new regime than fact.

This should be an exciting day. Instead, I come on here and read garbage. Cry me a freaking river.

V
Legend
Legend
V
YTown........please don't use facts. Spirit is on a mission to rip the new regime. Everything we do is going to have a negative slant towards it. Just watch.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
If you really look many of the posters are happy with the moves. There are always a few that have to take a huge dump right in the punch bowl because they don't know how to do anything else.

I'd guess that 90% of the people on here are happy with the moves.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If you really look many of the posters are happy with the moves. There are always a few that have to take a huge dump right in the punch bowl because they don't know how to do anything else.

I'd guess that 90% of the people on here are happy with the moves.

The new FO filled needs, didnt overspend or reach for something just to make a movw. Apparently they had a plan and are working it.

Now, I'd like to see Keenan Lewis in the plan!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay, thanks.

I was so jacked when I heard the news. Wanted no part of Avril. Wanted Kruger and I think we got him at a good price.

I come on here and start reading crappola about us cutting guys and the BS about the 4-3 and 3-4. I know a lot of those guys from the other board and they loved the past regime and hate the new one. Starting their negativity when it should be a happy day. It bothers me.

It shouldn't, but it does.

All Pro
All Pro
j/c...So whats next on the wish list priority wise? FS,CB,TE,OG,WR

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
It's got to be corner. I expect the market will fall into place once one of Keenan Lewis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Antoine Cason, or Aqib Talib gets signed.

All Pro
All Pro
I think we could get Cason on the cheap..probably should have posed that question in the FA thread sorry

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Legend
Legend
One reason that I'm not too concerned about Sheard is because we have a guy who is experienced at finding OLB types in Horton. We also have ILB and OLB coaches, so we have teachers who can spend the appropriate amount of time teaching Sheard to be that OLB type. Baker is a very heaviliy experienced guy, and should be able to get Sheard ready to go.

I prefer to be excited at this point. We have added pieces that can positively impact this defense, and put a hurtin' on our opponents.

I am interested in Michael Huff from the Raiders .... in addition to the guys we have already signed. Grab him and a CB and we could be in really solid shape defensively.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns reach agreement in principle on 5-year deal with Paul Kruger

Link Copied to Clipboard