Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BatDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B

Gary Barnidge - TE - Browns

Browns agreed to terms with TE Gary Barnidge, formerly of the Panthers, on a three-year contract.
Barnidge knows coach Rob Chudzinski from their days together in Carolina. He'll assume the blocking tight end role vacated by free agent Alex Smith. Barnidge has just 18 career catches in five seasons.

Good depth signing. Wouldn't mind getting Myers from Oakland also, and perhaps a draft pick.

linker

Last edited by BatDawg; 03/13/13 03:27 PM.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I plead ignorance here. What does he offer us over Smith...outside of the obvious that Chud is familiar with him?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
I've never even heard of the guy.
I'm guessing that this is the token "given the new coach one of his old guys" signings.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
BatDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Quote:

I plead ignorance here. What does he offer us over Smith...outside of the obvious that Chud is familiar with him?

Well he is under contract and Smith isn't. He knows the offense better as well, as you intimated.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

i don't know much about him other than he is the Panther's Cameron. Told that he's supposed to be this legit TE for years but he never puts up the numbers to back it up.

Last year, Olsen was their pass-catcher and Hartsock was their run-blocker. Barnbridge was supposed to be the guy who could do a bit of both (but only had 6 catches, so ???)

#gmstrong
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
This is just a 3rd stringer for depth purposes. We appear to still be looking at Brandon Meyers or Fred Davis as far as someone Starting-caliber...

[Linked Image from media.247sports.com] Pope Dezz!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Chud has actually secretly been hiding his talents...waiting for the opportunity to be a head coach, and WHAMMO! He unleashes his secret weapon.............

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Add Myers out of Oakland then draft another.

A warm body at the TE position.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Chud has actually secretly been hiding his talents...waiting for the opportunity to be a head coach, and WHAMMO! He unleashes his secret weapon.............

I like it. Look out Gonk, there's a new sheriff in town.

...and yes, I meant to type "Gonk". If you've seen the video you'd laugh.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Add Myers out of Oakland then draft another.

A warm body at the TE position.

Fred Davis makes me nervous after the achilles tear.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Awaiting the money on this, but a very solid backup signing with some upside left. Another trustful sign is that his former OC wanted to get him quickly, probably cost us 200k more, but who cares.

If Groves can't even get 1.5mil/season, then I don't expect this one to go over that number.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chud is a former tight end coach for what it's worth.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

All but Kruger are depth and camp fodder at best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I disagree. Bryant will be a day 1 starter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah Bryant looks to be a starter...n is definitely being paid as one. I don't thing we are paying somebody 7 mil to be camp fodder

This kid Barnidge...somebody stated Panthers version of Cameron...well I can only guess hands n speed also blocking until I see for myself. Physically looks like a Cameron clone...6'5" 250. We should get another in draft...somebody said still in FA - I would think we would have signed one??? They went fast. And way too much money.

What I love is all our FA's are fairly young - Banner was true to his word. No bandaid stuff we were looking for long term investments. Which meant young FAs.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

j/c

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Chud is a former tight end coach for what it's worth.

And a former three year starter at tight end, winning one national championship for the Hurricanes.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I'm not sure if Bryant will start but he will be a large part of the rotation immediately... and I'm not sure which ones are camp fodder... teams don't normally pick up guys in FA just to run them through camp... and in case you haven't noticed over the last... oh, about 30 years... we haven't had a lot of depth. So adding depth at some positions, adding guys that already know the system, these are not bad things...

I'm not sure who you thought we would sign but the regime has stuck pretty true to what they said they would do... be selective but not flashy in FA, set things up to build through the draft, don't pick up old 1 year bandaids but get young guys...

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

i don't know much about him other than he is the Panther's Cameron. Told that he's supposed to be this legit TE for years but he never puts up the numbers to back it up.

Last year, Olsen was their pass-catcher and Hartsock was their run-blocker. Barnbridge was supposed to be the guy who could do a bit of both (but only had 6 catches, so ???)

The thing about catches, you have to have the ball thrown your way, so not knowing how he was used, I won't hold that against him.

What I like is that Chud likes him. Maybe he sees potential. Maybe he likes the guys grit and attitude.

At minimum the guy knows the O. It always helps to have players who know what is going on. I know the coaches will teach, but players react to other players differently then they will with a coach because the player can't cut them or sit them on the bench.

Or to be negative, maybe this guy is to Chud what Andre King was to Butch....a pipeline in to what the players on the team really think.

Or....to be positive, a new head coach hopes to have someone around who the other guys can go up to and ask questions about the new boss....let them know that what they are being told is exactly how it is going to be.

I think this is a comfort zone move for Chud. Bring in a marginal player with great work ethic. A guy who is going to make Chuds team. Follow the example and the other marginal guys have a road map on what is expected to make the team.

Good move. Smart coaches, generals, or business people do that....bring in a top sergeant or shop foreman to lead the grunts so to speak. Show them how it's done, enlisted man to enlisted man, working man to working man.

You have to have a lead on the floor or you are doomed.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 03/13/13 06:16 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I've never even heard of the guy.
I'm guessing that this is the token "given the new coach one of his old guys" signings.

Never heard of him either honestly...

Rookie
Rookie
For what its worth eo.. his combine numbers.....
6'5.5" 243lbs
40- 4.61
vert.- 31
bench- 22
broad jump- 9'9"

I've read he is suppose to be our new blocking TE, but I don't see it. I see him as our second or third TE in multiple sets. I did read that Chud really liked him when he was in Carolina. Familiarity.

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

For what its worth eo.. his combine numbers.....
6'5.5" 243lbs
40- 4.61
vert.- 31
bench- 22
broad jump- 9'9"

I've read he is suppose to be our new blocking TE, but I don't see it. I see him as our second or third TE in multiple sets. I did read that Chud really liked him when he was in Carolina. Familiarity.

Like I said....

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I've never seen nor heard of this guy,but chances are he's as good as anybody currently on the team.
Now that's not saying much,because we don't have a starting caliber TE on the roster.
Good luck to the kid,I hope he pans out.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Super Bowl!

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Never heard of him, but don't mind signing a guy who is familiar with Chud's offense so should be able to help the other guys learn the new system.

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Per roto:

Browns agreed to terms with TE Gary Barnidge, formerly of the Panthers, on a three-year, $3.75 million contract.
Barnidge knows coach Rob Chudzinski from their days together in Carolina. He'll assume the blocking tight end role vacated by free agent Alex Smith. Barnidge has just 18 career catches in five seasons.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't ever remember seeing this guy play, so I won't comment on him.

However, I am probably the only guy around who really liked Alex Smith. The guy played w/a lot of passion. He was a pretty good blocker and he even caught it on occasion. I don't see why he had to go. He is the kind of guy you want around.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

However, I am probably the only guy around who really liked Alex Smith. The guy played w/a lot of passion. He was a pretty good blocker and he even caught it on occasion. I don't see why he had to go. He is the kind of guy you want around.

No, not the only one. He was a team-first player. He was always the first guy to pull a teammate up off the turf...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

No, not the only one. He was a team-first player. He was always the first guy to pull a teammate up off the turf...

yeah, who doesn't like Alex Smith? he's a bubble-roster guy, but he was always a pro's pro and did everything and anything the coaches asked of him. everybody should love guys like that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Per roto:

Browns agreed to terms with TE Gary Barnidge, formerly of the Panthers, on a three-year, $3.75 million contract.

That's a pretty nice contract for someone who's never done anything.

Puts him right between Jabaal Sheard and Josh Gordon for cap hit this year.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Per roto:

It is. That tells me Chud likes the guy and feels he will bring something to the team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Per roto:

Yeah, I understand the Chud connection, but I still don't get this from a salary POV. He's essentially gonna be the same cap hit as Groves and I expect Groves to be more valuable.

But then again, we create Evan Moore's contract....

Tackles are tackles.
Rookie
Rookie
I don't think anyone disliked Smith, just wanted more production from him. He was a good team player just limited in his abilities. He is still unsigned so he could be brought back if Chud and company think we need a good blocking TE. I don't see it because Chud likes his TE's to be threats in the passing game, but you never know.

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Rookie contracts -vs- vet contract?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually that is like MINIMUM Wage stuff in regards to FA signings. Look what Maiava got - basically a Special Teams player n depth to play when you have Injuries. Keep in mind he's reached his peak (Maiava) where I think this kid was a PROSPECT that Chud was developing for two seasons n maybe ready to spread his wings.

Oh n just cause a BOZO says he is coming here to be the blocking TE cause did the BOZO actually check n see how coaches/players view his prowess to be? NAH...he stated one FACT in his ASSumption - # of career catches...OH so he must be a blocking TE. Just Bozoism at its best

Sorry I don't have a clue about the kid. Unless he was groomed as the H-Back/FB role (Casey formerly of the Texans) w/Panthers....me I see 250 if 265-275 I'm thinking BLOCKING TE. 250 with 4.6 speed - I'm thinking Pass catcher n going to compete for Miss Matches in Red Zone. Gordon, Cameron one side...Little, Barnidge on the other just who is the #3 n #4 CB going to cover! That is what I see

Why I call the Bozo's - BOZOS they don't study anything they just TYPE n submit as 95% reading take it as FACT Just a small statement but to me 6'5" 250 n 4.6/40 guy does not spell blocking TE

Just a young Prospect that if/when he GETS it (like Cameron) could be a GREAT Thing...especially when we got a Hands on HC that can help them in his realm of Expertise. Note I don't have a clue on him like all of you...just what I envision why we went n got this guy. There are always guys ready to break out. Who would see a steal or investment worth Progressing. Contract is very reasonable as far as FA contracts.

Sheard n Gordon...why 2nd round picks are in high value with NFL Draft. Why teams say build through the draft. Why teams like Ravens are going YOUNG in their rebuild but will do so via draft! Why we had 47mil of Cap Room. This should not surprise anyone. Man...you guys will find anything to complain about...lol

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good points, eo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Man...you guys will find anything to complain about...lol

Who was complaining? Or is this a case of outrage directed towards an enemy that doesn't exist?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Why I call the Bozo's - BOZOS

Quote:

Why I call the Bozo's

Quote:

the Bozo's

Quote:

Bozo's

That apostrophe. Oh, the irony.

E
Legend
Legend
E
yep perfect example of outrage...wrote football in their n you wish to comment on that - RAGE climbing...ANGER boiling...come on dawg really?

You did see a lol as in I was amused n laughing about it. Who was complaining...well the presenting as a FACT (true) that our FA signing will get more than 2nd round draft picks on their first contract. Tough to read a message board - I read that as a Complaint that our FO does not know what they are doing. That we spent too much...when its about as low as a FA signing as there is. I use emoticons to express my emotions as I am typing...btw I have a lot of fun talking Browns football n will n a lot.

Enemy??? Yep I got ENEMIES...its a friggin message board - I'm forming MY GANG n we are going to RUMBLE...ummm I said one thing...
Quote:

Man...you guys will find anything to complain about...lol

But that signifies OUTRAGE to you...me delusional that enemies lurk everywhere...oh n its been a pleasure talking football with ya...

Btw I haven't been here in a while...I have no lasting memories of Enemies...only fellow Browns fans. thats me using the "confused" emoticon.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That apostrophe. Oh, the irony.

Yep, spelling and grammar, it's what separates the people who know their crap from the people who know they're crap.

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Gary Barnidge, TE signed to 3 year deal

Link Copied to Clipboard