Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

investments on the OLine

Well, I guess you better hope Pinkston returns completely healthly and we suffer no injuries, for we have nobody (except Greco) to immediately plug in. I'm not inferring that we need to use our #6 pick on an OG, but this must be addressed...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/15/13 09:45 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

YTown, you are right about the investments on the OLine. And its going to be a pricey line soon. Extending Mack/Schwartz on top of Joe T's big contract.

At the same time, we've made similar investments in weapons. We have a 1st rounder in T Rich, and 2nd rounders in Hardesty, Little, Gordon.

I just look at other teams in the NFL, and few have invested as heaviliy in the OL as we have.

With Greco in there we have 2 first rounders, (Thomas and Mack) a high 2nd rounder, (Schwartz) and a pair of 3rd round picks. (Greco was originally a 3rd round pick of the Rams, and Lauvao was our 3rd rounder in 2010)

We have the investment in the OL. We need to develop the players we have.

As far as weapons, we could still use pass rushers, a CB, a S, a WR, and a TE. I would put each and every one of these needs ahead of a Guard at this point.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
1. I was watching NFL Network n on the side they were flashing top FA by Pioli. They came to special teams.

No Phil Dawson..B FA just the Giant Kicker Tynre??? n another...I'm like huh.

And the A Special Team FA just the Raider Punter Lsomething.

I was confused why Dawson was mentioned n was hoping that didn't mean he was signed but they show who signed the FA mentioned. btw LB only two A FA n Kruger was one of them

The other thing is WHY OH WHY HAVEN'T WE BROUGHT in the Punter...I suck at names but I remember his punting as not just Good but GREAT!!!! In our black n blue division Punting (field position) is so so important!!!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
The punter you speak of is Shane Lechler. He is old (37 when the season starts) and expensive (made $3.8 last season).

We won't sign him for the same reasons we won't sign Dawson.

Legend
Legend
We already signed a second punter, and I seem to recall him being pretty good last year in camp, but Hodges was just going to be the guy all along.

As far as Dawson, maybe they are taking age into consideration ...... who knows? I wouldn't, but maybe they are.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

We already signed a second punter, and I seem to recall him being pretty good last year in camp, but Hodges was just going to be the guy all along.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Hodges is no longer a Brown (UFA) So that would leave the one Training camp punter that Hodges beat out last season n remember we got the same ST coach.

37...I know he has taken a beating over the years n we know them Punters don't hold for long. Hey they bend down n hold for the kicker (which I always thought was better for the back up QB to do) And PUNT. The guy showed no signs of losing leg power...worth at least a 3 year contract.

80+ punts for 47+ avg. Hodges 41+ but it was his timing - he had the worst punts at the worst time. 9-13 mil for a Punter We got the $$$ for 3 years. ST suppose to be 1/3 of the game...not much money for that. Also give Dawson 15 mil while we are at it.

Unless we expect Lombardi to do his thing - there goes our 3rd n 4th round picks

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
My wish list to sign free agents

Nnamdi Osamugha
Fred Davis

Explore potential on restricted free agent Danario Alexander (no draft pick lost based on his tender if SD doesnt match the offer)

Consider addressing all D needs in free agency and giving up the number 6 pick to sign Victor Cruz

Lastly I would like us to trade Colt McCoy to Philly for Nick Foles. Colt would be better of in a Chip Kelley style offense and Foles would be better in Chud/ Turners. I still believe in Weeds but let them compete and may the best man win.

Others to look at in FA that fit the plan would be Aqib Talib, Bernard Pollard and Brandon Myers. I think we also have to find a decent fullback somewhere whether in free agency or the draft.

Legend
Legend
After last year, I want no part of Hodges. He was flat out awful and always at the worst times.

Lanning did a good job in the pre-season last year, but was cut because we already had Hodges. We'll probably bring in an UDFA type to compete with him, but I would guess that the job is his to lose at this point.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Didn't Hodges come up lame at some point before the season started? It seems I remember something like that because as the season went on I thought he must never have fully recovered.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yep. Sadly, that injury spelled the end to Hodges' career. I really liked him before that. We watched him warm up before the Jets game in '11, and he was knocking punt after punt after punt into the corner inside the 3 from the 50. His kicks were twice as high as the Jets punter. He just lost it after getting hurt.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So my curiosity for him, although it likely doesn't matter at this point, is can he regain himself at his age and be the badass he was before. Probably not worth the risk to the new regime.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
A torn achilles is tough to recover from, and many players haven't been able to overcome it. Given that it's his planting foot, unfortunately I think Hodges is done. I follow him on twitter, and he's really an upstanding guy.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I don't recall whether or not he came up lame again after the injury ...... but I do know that he hasn't been the same since.

Hodges is 31 and coming off an ineffective season. Unfortunately, he's done in Cleveland. It's a shame, because he's a really good guy, but in the NFL, if you can't play any more, you just can't play any more.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I hope any punter we sign can get 60+ yards on a fake.

I'd be surprised to learn any team has accumulated nearly as many amazing special teams plays as the Browns this past decade.
Youtube

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I hope any punter we sign can get 60+ yards on a fake.

I'd be surprised to learn any team has accumulated nearly as many amazing special teams plays as the Browns this past decade.
Youtube

I was screaming when that play started to unfold. I couldn't hold it in either I was extra pumped when that play was dialed in and executed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive plans and what you want to see happen?

Link Copied to Clipboard