Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...dd-6ffbc7cb5798

The Proof Is In the text. These words are straight from Chudzinski's mouth.

Thoughts? I personally think It's pretty exciting. I want to see what Sheard has to bring to the plate playing OLB. Even though I'm not shocked by this, I'm still kind of curious.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...dd-6ffbc7cb5798

The Proof Is In the text. These words are straight from Chudzinski's mouth.

Thoughts? I personally think It's pretty exciting. I want to see what Sheard has to bring to the plate playing OLB. Even though I'm not shocked by this, I'm still kind of curious.

Sheard seems excited about it. On his twitter he says, "I'm ready to work, prove myself, and make plays to get to this Chip. New position OLB I'm hype"

Well at least he's not Haynesworth where he's complaining. I don't recall watching Sheard blitzes from the standing position last season, but I like him as a player and I really hope that he'll be able to make that switch. It does make me nervous though, as he wasn't drafted to do this and he has been 4-3 for the past two years.

But Chud seems to think he can do it. It might take a few weeks to really see him excel though, I'm much more interested in what he'll be looking like at the end of the season instead of the beginning.

My real fear with this whole 3-4 is that next year Horton will be a HC and who knows what defense we'll be using after that.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
He's rushed the QB standing up, and dropped into coverage (which was a horrid site) more than a few times in Jauron's defense.

His biggest weakness is going to be being able to drop back and square his hips to get into coverage.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I can give a long list of 3-4 OLB's that couldn't cover me in the flat.
They earn their pay rushing the QB.Giving up a few slants or curls is the price you pay for the sacks.
You better have good safeties,or that whole thing will blow up in face rather quickly.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
M
Legend
Legend
M
Of course Sheard is an OLB in this defense...what other position would he play? The question is whether he'll start.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My real fear with this whole 3-4 is that next year Horton will be a HC and who knows what defense we'll be using after that.

That is a real concern of mine also. Perhaps two years, at the most...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I'm glad he's willing to work at it, but that only worked for Wimbley for 1 year. I think he had a bit of a resurgence under Mangini but...
Here's to hopin'.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
C
Legend
Legend
C
I hope Horton becomes a head coach because that means our defense has been successful. If/when he leaves we will figure it out.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

I hope Horton becomes a head coach because that means our defense has been successful. If/when he leaves we will figure it out.

Exactly. Of all the things to worry about this should be of no concern.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I can give a long list of 3-4 OLB's that couldn't cover me in the flat.
They earn their pay rushing the QB.Giving up a few slants or curls is the price you pay for the sacks.
You better have good safeties,or that whole thing will blow up in face rather quickly.

Usually though they only have one of their linebackers that can't do anything but rush the passer. With Kruger and Sheard neither one of them is going to be covering a TE or RB down field.....It's going to be really interesting with that lineup. We shall see....

C
Legend
Legend
C
Which one of Woodley and Harrison can cover? Suggs and Kruger? Ware and Spencer? Matthews and Walden?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
What about Kruger and crap forget his name,Suggs.THe only coverage either one of them could handle would be to drop into a zone.
people are making way too much of this coverage aspect of OLB's.
No DC is his right mind is going to ask a 260-270lb LB to man up on a TE or RB without help.It's just not sound defensive strategy.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
That's the 2nd time one of you Cali guys beat me to the post.I'm not liking it,I'm not liking it one bit.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The cold must be slowing down your thought process.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not the least bit worried about Horton leaving in a year or two.

Chud WILL NOT change the style of Defense we run regardless of who the next DC is.

Keep this name in mind. He's our current DB Coach and has been with Horton in Arizona in 2011 and 2012.

Louie Cioffi.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
.....and he would probably leave with Horton if he did get a head coaching job.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't that mean that we were successful? which would also mean something to build on.

And isn't that always the case with successful coordinators

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't that mean that we were successful? which would also mean something to build on.

And isn't that always the case with successful coordinators

true but it doesn't mean that success will be a superbowl win. They would prob offer him the job if the Browns went .500. That is the downfall of hiring someone on the upswing.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Wait...so now we are worrying because we hired good people...LOL, our glass is always 1/2 empty.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Very glad to read this, let the defensive backs and faster linebackers play coverage. I was worried about Sheard possibly being traded, I am not a fan of that idea. I want us to keep our core of Browns players and he is one of them. If he can stand up and rush, or put his hand in the dirt and rush, I don't care either of them is fine. If we want a great defense, we need more than one or two guys that can rush the passer, we need 3 or 4!!!

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Once again, I think guys are going to line-up in various spots this year. I also think that we are going to mix-up our fronts this year. We will NOT be running a 3-man front exclusively. We will also have 4-man fronts and 5-man fronts.

And again------if you look at Pittsburgh's and Baltimore's defense, the coverage was left mostly to the Inside Linebackers while the d-ends were asked to penetrate and make plays.

It's like you don't want to hear the truth. It would put an end to your complaining and we certainly can't have that, can we?

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I feel like I've seen this movie before. Trying to jam 4-3 players into a 3-4. Worked out really well last time we tried this.........

[Linked Image from media.247sports.com] Pope Dezz!
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'll add one thing. I believe secondary coverage will change drastically too. With more pressure on the QB, DB's will play more zone coverage. Skrine has one asset and that is speed. I'm not saying he is the answer, but I feel Horton will cater to his strengths. The defense will need upgrades in the DB position, but I don't think it is as major an issue everyone preaches.

Our biggest issues last season was LB. Teams dink-n-dunk and ran the ball on the Browns a lot. They somewhat address that issue return of Gocong and adding Grover and Kruger. A few of the rookie LB's last year should improve. You can't fix everything in a year. Heckert would have similar issues this season as well. Defense needs upgrading everywhere. Lombardi addressed two areas. You can't expect to take a single digit win team and make it a contender overnight.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wait...so now we are worrying because we hired good people...LOL, our glass is always 1/2 empty.

I think there's plenty of people on here looking at our 1/2-full glass and saying it's 3/4 empty.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Of all the things to worry about this should be of no concern.

I agree. If Horton is successful then he can be a HC.. if he is successful our defense will be good.. if our defense is good and our HC is stable then we can be more selective in finding a new DC that wants to run a similar system.. or we can promote from within... The absolute best thing that could happen to the Browns is that 2 years from now Horton is viewed as the next hot commodity HC...

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
At first I thought Sheard was a square peg in the round hole thing...and didn't look at him seriously when they stated he was penciled in at the ROLB way back when before the combine.

So I was sure we would be targeting a ROLB at #6 n that was it.

And was very happy when I heard Casserly mention Sheard was worth a 1st round pick in trade...as in wow that would be nice getting that for somebody not in our plans!

Then we signed Kruger n in the presser I heard Chud speak ever so briefly about Sheard. The confidence he spoke of him seemed obvious so that right then n there I was like having a revelation...as in Wow we really think Sheard is a stud n has a purpose in our Attack D. So no I am sure of one thing...I have no clue

This is where I put my limited knowledge of football aside n leave it into the hands of them who obviously know way more than I n anyone else on this board.
If they think Sheard is a stud...Go to IT!
If they are just blowing Draft Smoke...Good job

Either way its a win win -

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

And was very happy when I heard Casserly mention Sheard was worth a 1st round pick in trade...as in wow that would be nice getting that for somebody not in our plans!

\

Wow really EO? I hadn't heard that. I have to believe it to be smoke. I just don't see how Sheard can be as effective in this D as in a 43. He can't play the right side and he's never covered anyone. I'd think it'd be smart to accept that it's best to trade him off and take a guy at 6. I'll have to agree with your saying we won't know until it happens. I could see ATL being interested it him. They have the #30 I believe.

E
Legend
Legend
E
All will be known I think by our #6 pick. If OLB we'll see who is desperate for a DE if they all go quick

If we go another direction...then we know they love Sheard's prospects.

We'll find out soon enough. If we don't look at the dang Clock...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Who is Sheard covering? The most he will be doing is dropping back in a zone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I heard the words ... but it doesn't make it true.

Sheard can ONLY play as a OLB in the 3-4 ... but I don't know if the Browns FO truly think he can be the full time starter, regardless of what they say. And this close to the draft there is always misdirection.

At #6 in the draft we'll probably be able to select Jarvis Jones or Milliner - maybe Asnah, depending on what happens.... looks less likely that we'd pick Ansah because his stock is rising and with our FA pick up I think our DL may be set. . . . any one of theose 3 I'd be pretty happy with. Milliner is who I am hoping to drop to us.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Sheard can ONLY play as a OLB in the 3-4

That's what they are asking him to play.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
When it comes to sheard he is finally going to be unleashed. They will be moving him around and he will be rushing every play he is in. He wont need to cover because with our 1000 plds of meat running at the o-line sheard and kruger are gonna have some serious fun!

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Sheard can ONLY play as a OLB in the 3-4

That's what they are asking him to play.

Yes I see this as them confirming what most of us already knew.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've thought about our 4-2 nickel packages too, which I like. Two of Taylor/Bryant/Winn at DT with Kruger/Sheard at DE. Jackson and Robertson (if we keep him) at LB. The secondary possibilities still scare me a whole lot, but I at least like the Nickel DL/LB formation so far.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Will you guys please present some facts that prove we are EXCLUSIVELY playing a 3-4?

I could have sworn that our base was going to be a 3-4, but that Horton will show 4-man fronts and 5-man fronts.

Please educate me or stop the BS! Thanks.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Hell yeah Sheard is a beast and will only get better.
Keep in mind his sack totals skyrocked when he started rushing from a stand up position (3-4 OLB)
as opposed to the 3 point stance (4-3) DE.
He's not going anywhere via trade or whatever He will get plenty of reps at OLB

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Browns: Ray Horton says team will use multiple defensive fronts

"We're going to look like an aggressive, forward-attacking defense that has big men that can run and little men that can hit, and I've seen that on tape," Horton said. "We may be a 3-4 on one snap. We may be a 4-3 on another snap. I guarantee you we'll be a 5-2 sometimes, and we'll be a 4-4 sometimes. We are a multi-front, attacking defense, and that's the most important thing, not what player lines up where or what stance he's in."

News Herald

I read all over the board people quoting Horton saying, "big men that can run and little men that can hit", but that was just a snipit of the whole quote in which he talks about multiple fronts.

I think too many of us hear 3/4 and think RAC and Mangini and some have trouble wrapping their heads around something different. A lot of fans are going to be real surprised at this defense. It's like we've not seen here. Except when the freaking Steelers ran it on us. Grrrrr.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Double d, you are my hero! LOL man......thanks.

I thought that is the way I remembered it.

There is a certain fragment of the board's population that keep saying otherwise and I thought I might be mistaken [not really--LOL].

So, do you think they will stop w/the nonsense?

Nah, neither do I.

But thanks for the FACTS, bro!!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Btw----are you still in the Carnation City?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Still. You still on that island?

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sheard will be playing OLB next season.

Link Copied to Clipboard