Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

Scroll down after clicking the link and you'll see what I mean. Appearently, the Browns are interested In signing Jason Campbell. Personally thought that we had a great Free Agency so far, but this Is a total head scratcher..

Legend
Legend
That was probably ghost written by toad.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That was probably ghost written by toad.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd rather have Campbell than Anderson, Mallet, or McCoy. Not sure if he has the arm that Chud would want.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm with you, he is a way better option than DA or Mallet IMO

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Your the second person that has said he's abetter option than Mallet,how do you know that?
The Campbell I saw last year flat out stunk.
I'd be willing to bet that all anyone has seen of Mallet is in preseason,where if you don't know what's going on you can't really judge a QB.
If you and the other poster know something I don't,which is quite possible,I'd like to be informed.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Campbell isn't a loose cannon who makes horrible decisions, isn't streaky, nor does he make bone headed comments to the media. Granted he isn't a franchise QB but he'd be a safe pickup. I don't think he'd beat out Weeden, though.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd rather just keep mccoy who already has some chemistry with our WR's than a QB who cant stick anywhere because he has zero mental toughness.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How do you know that Mallet two years removed from college and by all accounts more mature that guy? He was by far the most skilled QB in his class, and if his head is screwed on straight would be somebody to look at.

Cambell is a waste....just keep what we havd over that.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I'd rather have Campbell than Anderson, Mallet, or McCoy. Not sure if he has the arm that Chud would want.

anderson would have been the one to push him. knows chuds system,cannon arm,perfect backup to weeden. realy surprised they didnt bring him in. might have been us fans? ML and DA brought back in same year too much?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Other than the "he makes poor decisions" which is a fault in all young QBs,I didn't see much critique of his football skills.
It's OK to say "I just don't like him" I'd understand.Hell,most of the bad decisions I've made in my life were based on pure emotion,and I still do it.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I have a small sample size on him. The only game I ever caught of his was the last few minutes of the OSU vs. Arkansas game.

He reminded me of a younger DA. Occaional accuracy issues, not having any touch on his ball, and the decision making. I'd rather not spend whatever it costs to get Mallet. I'd rather let the Weeden train wreck or keep cruising on the tracks.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So your killing a guy off of one half of football in college (he lit up tOSU the second half)?...lol.

Ok at least now I know you just don't like him as BC pointed out or you just really like Weeden for whatever reason. It's fine and your opinion....all good.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Of all the available free agent options (Fitzpatrick and Campbell are the only two worth mentioning) Campbell interests me the most. Not including last season (I am not including last season because he was a backup and played in six games starting only one) he has started 70 games and played in 71. In those games he has a 82.8 QB rating and completed 60.8% of his passes. He averaged 203.1 yards per game. He has 74 TDs and 50 INTs. He averaged 6.8 yards per attempt and 11.1 yards per completion.

I don't think Campbell is some sort of savior, but he is the exact type of player that we can bring in to push Weeden. If he beats Weeden out, then Weeden shouldn't be playing (obviously). If Weeden beats him out, then we know what we have in Campbell as a backup and our season is blown to shreds if Weeden gets hurt or stinks.

With all that said, I would rather take a risk with Mallet if the price isn't too great (3rd round pick or less). Mallet's ceiling is unknown and if he is good we have our QB for the foreseeable future. With Campbell we know what we are getting and still have to look for a QB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Frankly, I'd have no problem with signing Campbell AND trading for Mallett. We need a QB. I'm not saying Weeden can't be that quarterback. However, that is an unknown. And when you have a question mark at QB I have zero problem with bringing in as many choices as we can. If there was one in the draft at 6 I'd say draft him too.... we HAVE to find a quarterback. That is job number one. Without one we are nothing. That's why I had no problem with them taking a swing on Weeden last year. Even if it eventually turns out he isn't starter material they gave it a shot....

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
There you go.
I saw that game and one other that year.I was impressed.
When some other QBs,that I wasn't thrilled with were drafted before him,it just reinforced my opinion that I don't know diddly about college QBs.Then he gets drafted by NE,now I'm thinking maybe I'm not that far off the mark.
He's got a cannon,and in my opinion,he's tough,he doesn't give up.Those are qualities a QB must have to be successful.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'd rather have Fitzpatrick. IMO...he's the next Jon Kitna.

Which is a great, great backup and for a long time.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm of the same feeling at this point (minus Cambell). I want the problem solved, and hope they keep swinging early and often until we get a guy.....14 years and all we have had is crap.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Article on backup QBs:

Quote:

Compared to last year's headline-fest in both the the first round of the draft and free agency (see Peyton-palooza), it has been a relatively sleepy NFL offseason for quarterback movement. Especially since ex-49ers starter Alex Smith found his new work address weeks ago, and Seattle backup Matt Flynn may not be going anywhere in 2013.

But Thursday's news at least started to put a little dent into that nothing-to-see-here perception on the quarterback front, thanks to some intriguing developments and a few potential scenarios to track.

Matt Cassel saw his disappointing Kansas City tenure end in the morning, but by mid-afternoon he already acquired a somewhat new sheen to him thanks to a quick multi-year deal being struck with Minnesota.

All indications point to Kevin Kolb being handed his walking papers in Arizona before Saturday, when he's due a $2 million roster bonus, and the thrill-a-minute New York Jets are reportedly among the interested parties if he is released.

And rumors continue to peg Cleveland and maybe Tampa Bay as possible suitors in trade competition for the services of New England backup Ryan Mallett, the 2011 third-round pick who is wasting away on the Patriots' bench behind one Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. (I didn't know he had all those names, did you? I thought his middle name was The Franchise).

These moves, even if they all happen in some form, aren't earth-shaking transactions, of course. But they all possibly would be quite significant nonetheless, because if you think about it, you know exactly what Minnesota, the Jets, Cleveland and Tampa Bay have in common: Starting quarterbacks who aren't exactly invulnerable to challenge from a newly acquired No. 2.

Be it Christian Ponder with the Vikings, Mark Sanchez in New York, Brandon Weeden with the Browns or Josh Freeman in Tampa Bay, there are no guarantees or lasting job security to be had this season. They're all on trial for their jobs, no matter what their coaches or front offices say publicly. And that means Cassel, Kolb and even Mallett could be No. 2's for somebody upon arrival, but No. 2 with a bullet.

Cassel and Kolb are an interesting matched pair of sorts. Remember, they were both so attractive and productive as backups and sometimes starters on playoff-caliber teams they elicited the Chiefs and Cardinals to trade for them in 2009 and 2011, respectively, with both clubs lavishing them with huge new contracts even before they had played a game for their new teams. Both organizations said basically the same thing back then, that they wanted to take care of their new franchise quarterbacks, and give them the confidence their monster contracts were meant to convey.

How'd that work out for you, Chiefs and Cardinals? At least Kansas City got a 10-win season, a division title and a playoff trip out of Cassel's four-year stay in the heartland. Arizona is still waiting for Kolb to stay healthy and deliver, and it's too late anyway for coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Rod Graves' purposes.

Cassel and Kolb couldn't get it done as full-time unquestioned starters, but that's where they may be in luck this offseason if they wind up as alternative options for new teams. They'll be back in their more comfortable and familiar setting of being the challenger, without the pressure of huge expectation or the burden of a franchise quarterback contract. That can do wonders for some guys' confidence and performance level.

After dealing with the reality of Brady in New England and either Donovan McNabb or a red-hot Michael Vick in Philadelphia, something tells me Cassel and Kolb aren't going to sweat it too much if it's Ponder and Sanchez standing between them and another starting opportunity.

For now, Cassel is the only veteran quarterback we know for certain will get a prime chance to relaunch his career in a new NFL venue. The Vikings were happy with the way Ponder ended the season on a high note, leading Minnesota (with Adrian Peterson's strong assist) to a Week 17 upset at home against Green Bay and into the playoffs as a 10-6 wild-card team.

But while the Vikings won't couch it as a quarterback competition between Ponder and Cassel, they know they had to find someone to push their third-year passer in every way, because 2012 backup Joe Webb certainly didn't. Webb's surprise start as an injury replacement for Ponder in the first round of the playoffs at Green Bay was his unmasking. He bombed, forcing Minnesota to find a proven backup quarterback option to at least give themselves an insurance policy behind Ponder.

It's OK if Cassel thinks he's in Minnesota to battle Ponder for the starting job. Ponder hasn't done enough just yet to deserve no hint of competition, even if the Vikings did invest a top 12 pick in him in 2011. Cassel, after all, does have the resume that allows him to interject himself into the starting discussion at some point. He started 47 games in Kansas City, and 15 in New England in 2008, and in 2010 threw for 3,116 yards with 27 touchdowns and only seven interceptions for the division-winning Chiefs. And his work with the '08 Pats, who he helped lead to an 11-5 non-playoff finish in the injured Brady's absence, put him on the NFL map to begin with.

Kolb has less of a track record as a starter, but it may not matter if he lands with the Jets, who were a quarterback disaster zone unto themselves last season. New York has five QBs on the roster at the moment, but there doesn't seem to be a starting option of note among them: Sanchez, the newly signed David Garrard, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms.

With new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg having successfully coached Kolb in Philadelphia for four years (2007-2010), and Kolb being comfortable in the West Coast offense, it's a natural fit to put them together and hope the onetime second-round pick can rekindle the talent that made the Cardinals give up so much to get him two summers ago.

But compared to Cassel and Kolb, Mallett is the real unknown in this year's potential quarterback carousel drama. The Browns and Bucs, both looking to give themselves another arm to consider besides their inconsistent first-round picks, Weeden and Freeman, are reportedly the teams mulling a deal for Mallett. Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam has said the team will get competition for Weeden this offseason and Bucs officials have offered something less than an iron-clad promise that Freeman is their guy, case closed.

The backup quarterback options are rapidly dwindling for Cleveland and Tampa Bay. Smith was swapped to Kansas City. Drew Stanton signed in Arizona. Matt Moore re-upped in Miami. Bruce Gradkowski jumped to Pittsburgh. And Derek Anderson re-signed with Carolina. With Cassel gone and Seattle seeming in no hurry to move Flynn, the top-shelf No. 2 possibilities are few. It's either compete for Kolb once he's cut loose, go after ex-Bills starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, sign Jason Campbell, or make an offer that pries Mallett out of New England.

The Browns and Bucs know they both have a young and promising passer on their roster, but one who has yet to nail down their starting job and render any quarterback questions moot. In Mallett they'd be taking a bit of a flyer on a guy who has done little real work backing up Brady, but who came into the NFL in 2011 with a lot of folks predicting he'd be a difference-making player in time. The question is: Has the former Arkansas standout developed or gathered dust in his two seasons of mostly standing on the Patriots sideline? No one really knows just yet.

A trade involving Mallett might take all the way up until the draft to develop, so the Browns and Bucs can probably afford to stay patient and see what transpires. But as this week showed us, the NFL's quarterback carousel isn't quite as dormant as we presumed. It's not in high-profile motion like last year, when Peyton Manning and the anticipation for the draft's big-name passers sucked up all the oxygen in the league. But when it comes to quarterback news, maybe this offseason won't be quite so sleepy after all.

Link

The biggest revelation there for me is that the Buccaneers aren't happy with Josh Freeman.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Josh Freeman is a heck of a QB IMO.

If there's a way to pry him out of there I'd figure out how to do it.

He reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger in a lot of ways. He doesn't have the same mobility but he also doesn't hold on to the ball forever.

Big, tall, great arm and he got himself into pretty good shape last year.

I'd be all in to see him in Brown and Orange.

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I like Jason Campbell now for all the same reasons I did three years ago, which revolve around having a starting QB who is anything but a lock to make it and needing a stop-gap guy to take snaps until we find a long-term answer. The only REAL difference is that McCoy never had the tools to be a starter so we wasted two years and a 3rd round pick on him, while Weeden does have the tools, even if he doesn't have the head. Time will tell.

Quinn was a bum and we should have taken Campbell, built up the rest of the team, then looked for a QB later. So what about now? Weeden isn't a bum, but the odds aren't favorable that he'll make it. If we did sign Campbell and Weeden makes it, then we've got a capable backup if Weeds goes down. If Weeds doesn't make it, Campbell can take snaps as a competent guy, if not a long-term guy, while we find a QB.

What I do feel is that signing a bum like Anderson would be a joke. The guy had one magical partial season in the sun, then reverted back to the nobody that he was when he came to the NFL. Since his "big" year he's gone from poor to abysmal. Why anyone would think he's going to find that game again...six years later...is beyond rational thinking.

We can do much worse than someone like Campbell or Fitzgerald. People need to keep in mind that we're not seeking a backup QB to take us to the promised land and be an ideal fit to the offense should Weeden fail. We're after a competent backup QB to not embarrass the team while we search for our franchise QB.

If we trade for a guy like Mallet, then the fallacy that we're getting a guy to "push" Weeden is just that. Acquiring Mallet puts Weeden on the clock. He'll have a handful of games to turn into a star or he's out.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow, I am truly SHOCKED that you would be happy with us signing Jason Campbell.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Josh Freeman is a heck of a QB IMO.

If there's a way to pry him out of there I'd figure out how to do it.

He reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger in a lot of ways. He doesn't have the same mobility but he also doesn't hold on to the ball forever.

Big, tall, great arm and he got himself into pretty good shape last year.

I'd be all in to see him in Brown and Orange.

I agree. If we go after any QB who could be available ... it would be Freeman for me. (If he truly could be available)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Before I opened the thread, I wondered how many replies it would take for a Toad mention...

That said, his response is dead nuts accurate... I have yet to figure out what dead nuts are, but the fact is that Campbell may not be a world beater, but is more than proven and will be an adequate backup and decent starter.

Mallet is throwing the dice and will cost a draft choice.

With Campbell, there will be less rabble rousing by the QB crazies out there, Mallet is sure to continue the debate and will toss gasoline into the fire. Either one is more than adequate to fit Chud's system. I don't see Colt surviving the camp.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I think DA would have fit the system better than the available alternatives. The only issue being he is a terrible quarterback.

I honestly don't know if we want a guy who necessarily "fits" as well as Weeden. We may be better of getting him a guy like Campbell than a Mallett or DA. Someone who is clearly the #2, but has strengths Weeden can learn from. With DA it seemed like you were getting the exact same guy as Weeden, which may not have done much to improve the mental aspect of Weedens game. I don't know if Campbell is a heady guy, I certainly know Fitz is a brainiac in the classroom (on the field or film study I don't know).

My take on the Qb situation has been what most people agree with. We give Weeden this season and hope he either bombs or soars. Worst case he ends up mediocre and we aren't in a position to snag a top tier QB next season.

What is Curtis Painter doing? We could stick him in if Weeden is only seeming mediocre

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The mere mention of Painter makes my blood boil.

Only if you are interested in tanking the season to get Johnny football...

Biggest farce I have ever seen. Yes I do believe the Colts tanked the season.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:

The mere mention of Painter makes my blood boil.

Only if you are interested in tanking the season to get Johnny football...

This may actually not be a terrible idea.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

They sure did. And with a slimeball owner like Jim Irsay, who can be surprised.

But it worked out great for them. They got the best QB prospect since their last QB. Ridiculously frustrating.

I'm still annoyed Luck didn't come out the year before. Although, I dunno if we could have gotten him then anyway, we were the number........7 pick? We would have had to trade up I guess. He woulda been number 1 over Cam Newton

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

They sure did. And with a slimeball owner like Jim Irsay, who can be surprised.

But it worked out great for them. They got the best QB prospect since their last QB. Ridiculously frustrating.

I'm still annoyed Luck didn't come out the year before. Although, I dunno if we could have gotten him then anyway, we were the number........7 pick? We would have had to trade up I guess. He woulda been number 1 over Cam Newton

It's my belief that Heckert set us up for that draft with the trade down the year prior. We had two first round picks and he knew we were likely to be pretty bad after switching systems during a year with no off season.... Had the Colts not bombed out we would have got one of those two QB's last year, and it wouldn't have cost us three drafts worth of picks to do it. But Peyton went down and the Colts won by losing. Cleveland's luck I suppose. Man I really wanted Andrew Luck in a Browns uniform. Alas.....

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I'm personally not sold on ANY of our QBs or potential QB options....With no true commodity at QB being mentioned and given the listed options of Campbell , Fitzpatrick or Mallet...I would lean toward either Mallet or Fitzpatrick assuming that the price is right....JMHO

The Mammal
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was targeting Luck for us when he was a freshman at Stanford

The team said they want someone to push Weeden. Campbell would do that. He costs nothing in terms of compensation to another team and he would come in as the clear backup but is a guy who would push Weeden because he is good enough to take the job if Weeden slacks off or plays poorly.

Mallet would not push Weeden. If we trade for Mallet he is coming in and knocking Weeden over and taking the starting job. Not that I think Mallet is any better than Weeden. I think that they are fairly comparable. But if Banner, Lombardi et al trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Mallet you better believe he is coming in and starting (unless he falls flat on his face in training camp - he would almost have to try to not be the starter).

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Fess up Toad you still have Campbell posters hanging in your room from your love fest with him a few years ago don't you

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

if Banner, Lombardi et al trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Mallet

They're nuts. To trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy that went in the 3rd round himself that has proven nothing doesn't make sense. I'd give a 6th rounder for him, nothing less.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Fess up Toad you still have signed Campbell posters hanging in your room from your love fest with him a few years ago don't you

fixed it for you

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Your the second person that has said he's abetter option than Mallet,how do you know that?
The Campbell I saw last year flat out stunk.
I'd be willing to bet that all anyone has seen of Mallet is in preseason,where if you don't know what's going on you can't really judge a QB.
If you and the other poster know something I don't,which is quite possible,I'd like to be informed.

Mallett is the flavor of the year.. Chase Daniels was, but now he's been taken. So Mallett is the new Cassell.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
2nd String
2nd String
The Browns don't need to bring in a QB this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

In a very thin, strict sense, you may be right, but they are not going to go into the season with Colt as the backup. Thadeus maybe as the 3rd, but not with Colt as the backup. I really don't see that happening. They want to push Weeden and the need a viable backup that can execute the down field, aggressive system.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not a fan of Jason Campbell at all, I've seen enough him to know that he has already reached his maximum potential. He has a slow release, looks stiff in the pocket and is only a decent backup at best. If we're going to bring in a Quarterback I would like it to be a younger guy who at least has a shot at being our starter for the future.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

especially since the media is looking for the next similar story.

Sometimes the SPN's try to make a familiar story that everyone else has read or heard about because it just happened. What they can't seem to figure out is that we like something happening for the first time and that is what makes sports so awesome.

a fan could witness the same ground ball they have seen 4,000 times hit to the SS it only takes just one time for the ball to take a bad bounce and knocks the ss out cold.

we don't want to see the 3,999 grounders. We want to wait for the one to happen.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

if Banner, Lombardi et al trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Mallet

They're nuts. To trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy that went in the 3rd round himself that has proven nothing doesn't make sense. I'd give a 6th rounder for him, nothing less.

I wouldn't trade a 2nd or 3rd for Mallet but that is going to be the asking price.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns interested In Jason Campbell ..

Link Copied to Clipboard