Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
7) Cleveland Browns flop

Paul Kruger was another player on my risky list. The guy has 15.5 sacks in four years, yet he just signed a $40 million deal. Yes, he caught fire late last season and helped the Baltimore Ravens win the Super Bowl. Yes, I love his attitude. But he's done it for a quarter of a season.

And Desmond Bryant gets a five-year contract for $34 million with $15 million guaranteed?!? Wow.

Link

Personally, I like both signings. Is Kruger risky? Possibly, but he's also a potential difference maker. Did we pay too much for both of these guys? Too early to tell, but if there's one thing I feel good about, it's Banner's contract structure ability.

If they don't go out and at least get a slot corner though, I'll be a little worried heading into the draft.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

But he's done it for a quarter of a season

I have been quick to point out that Kruger was risky and that he was only hugely successful in the 2nd half of last year and the playoffs.

but, that is 12 games. 1/4 of the season is 4 games. There's a pretty big difference between those 2 numbers (1/2 a seasons worth).

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
You also have to take into account his rising percentage of playing time. You can't be a difference maker if you're not on the field.

#gmstrong
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I wouldn't say we've bombed to this point but it's getting worse as the days pass. Our only real signings of note came in day1 of FA. As was stated, there may be some risk but as a whole; i like the moves. Made a couple moves on day 2; and have since gone quiet. I heard i think during D2, we were rumored to have interest in Fred Davis but not much has happened on his front. In addition, during the 3 day negotiation period; we were linked to interest in i think at least 5 CB's. I'm stunned we havn't made a move on that front.

What started off as an "A" grade after day 1, has turned IMO to about a "C" at this point. We need a couple more solid acquisitions to maintain or bump it back to a "B" rating. Failure to sign any more recognizable names would likely drop the grade.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Who is Schein? Who does he write for? Never heard of him.

I think the Kruger signing was excellent. Many thought he would command more money.

I think Bryant's figures were a bit high, but not outrageous.

I was hoping we would land either a FS or a CB in FA. Both positions are a concern.

On the other hand, this FA period is sure better than past years when we brought in Usama Young one year and Brandon Jackson another. Who can forget Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace?

I don't know how great this year's FA period has been for us, but I don't think we have bombed.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Hate to agree with the writer but hard not to. Kruger was a decent pickup.. I don't think they overpaid but for this to be the biggest signing is a disappointment. Desmond Bryant was a bit of a head scratcher.. considering they had much bigger needs at CB, TE, ILB, and perhaps an OG. At this point, I'm not sure what the Browns plan to trot out there at CB. I'm not a huge Dee Milliner fan, but if that's the plan at 6 there's a very good chance he won't even be there. This team doesn't have a lot of ammo to trade up.. and I wouldn't trade up for a CB anyways. Idk. This Free Agency has been a bit of a disappointment. There were other impact players out there and they had more than enough money to spend to make it happen.

[Linked Image from media.247sports.com] Pope Dezz!
Legend
Legend
I think that we have made 2 significant upgrades on a defense that needed a few significant upgrades. I d think that we need to add a couple of DB to the equation, but we're only a few days in.

I also have never heard of the writer of the article referenced ...... and I strongly disagree with his opinion.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Any FA DE/OLB is gonna be a risky pick up.. hell.. Mario Williams was a non-factor for the Bills for most of their season. I don't care who you are, it will take a little time to get in a groove with a new team.

Kruger will be fine.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Adam Schein is a New York-based sports commentator and can be heard on Sirius NFL radio weekdays from 11:00am to 3:00pm. He is partnered with Rich Gannon on the show "Sirius Blitz". Schein is loud-mouthed, opinionated, and very outrageous at times. Personally, I can't stand listening to either of those two guys, and really get ticked off when Gannon does TV for some of our games...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/15/13 09:33 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Schein writes for nfl.com and, I believe, has a show on the NFL channel on Sirius radio. He can be kind of a blowhard on radio but if that were a disqualifying attribute then WKNR would be broadcasting dead air most of the day.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns flop ? Then says...
Quote:

Yes, he caught fire late last season and helped the Baltimore Ravens win the Super Bowl. Yes, I love his attitude.

I guess the Browns FO loves his attitude also...

I hope the " D " is a Bomb....And explodes FEAR.. Confusion & Pain on all the "O's " it goes against this season.... lol

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
jc
OK I have to disagree that we "Bombed"....

I think we made "solid" moves so far...that have some risk attached.

Kruger...In what I have been hearing...many looked for him to be signed first and his signing would determine Aviril's price....which from all that I have been hearing...should be lower(don't know if that what happened...I don't have the Seattle numbers on me). Now...the thing is that everyone was surprised that Kruger signed for 8+ mil per year instead of closer to 10+. So we got one of if not "the" premier pass rushing LB in this FA (age considered) and we got him for less than everyone expected us to...

And then we add a flexible DLineman in Bryant who will be able to play anywhere on "our" line who is known for getting good disruption and penetration. lined up with any of Taylor, Rubin, Winn, and Hughes...maybe even Kinchen....and we are looking at a stout 3 man line rotation......Not so sure what the problem is....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I hope the " D " is a Bomb....And explodes FEAR.. Confusion & Pain on all the "O's " it goes against this season...

Nice...

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yeah, money aside, all I care about is plugging the new guys in with what we have (+ the draft picks) & having a good defense.

Grading free agency 3 days after it started? Dumb.

Is this the ADAM Schein from Sirius NFL Radio writing this?

Legend
Legend
I'm reading through his article ..... and he loves what the Titans have done.

They signed Levitre .... a Guard. Nice move, but Guards do not usually win you a Super Bowl.

They then lost their starting TE, and replaced him with a different TE. This different TE has never produced like the guy they lost, and he has 7 NFL seasons under his belt.I'm not terribly impressed.

Then they signed Shonn Green. Huh? What? He's OK, but has been absolutely nothing special in NY. I would hardly look upon him as a move that makes someone's free agency.

This "haul" gets the Titans the 2nd mention on the article, and the first positive mention. The Titans get it right? They basically get a Guard, a backup RB, and replace a TE they lost with a lesser player, and this writer is effusive in his praise.

I think that he was most happy that he predicted the Titans to sign Levitre ...... and they did.

he also says that Chase Daniel is a strong backup for the Chefs. He's another short QB who has attempted 9 passes in the NFL in 4 years. He was an UDFA a few years ago, due to concerns about size, arm, and ability to translate to the NFL. He hasn't gotten any bigger, and I doubt that he's gotten that much stronger. He is what he is ..... and what he is is a guy who would send shivers of panic through the hearts of Chef fans if he had to QB their team for a few weeks in a row.

The Chiefs did make a quality signing in Robinson ..... but he will be 31 when camp opens ..... and it's hard to project a 31 year olf CB. Many fall off the cliff at 30-31 ..... and relying heavily on a older corner can be dangerous. Robinson was released by the Falcons. Some might say about corners that it's better to release a good one a year too early than a year too late. I remember the quote, but not who said it, or about what position.

Anyway, the Chiefs' fortunes will be tied to Alex Smith. If he overperforms, then they will do well. If he underperforms, then they won't.

Overall this guy seems given to rather superficial evaluation, and if teams did as he suggested they do, then they get bonus points. I'm not terribly impressed with his opinions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

Somewhat right in regards to were taking a chance, but in reality every team is taking a chance with who they sign, or draft if they wanna get right down to it.

I'm glad we added who we added, but without upgrading our secondary I'm afraid this will all be for not, Notice I said upgrade not just sign someone to sign someone and shut the fans up....We need to upgrade / better the position, I do hope this is in our plans.

Need to sign Dawson....Any word on Phil...?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Adam Schein is a New York-based

...which told me all I needed to know.

You can throw in the words "Boston-based" and get the same reaction from me.

We just acquired THE most coveted 3-4 OLB in free agency, and signed a 6'6 311 pound guy who fits the prototypical mold of a 3-4 DE. Both signings were solid guys who filled holes on our defense.

All free agent signings are risky. They have a fail-rate nearly identical to drafted players. The risks are perceived as exaggerated because of the high dollars invested, but when you're a team lacking overall talent like we are, you have to take some risks.

We're not done in free agency. There will be another starter signed in the upcoming days. I think we've done well.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
The guy seems to have a penchant for the dramatic.. "I'd rather play with 10 guys on offense than have Rashard Mendenhall in the backfield" ??? who says that? Mendenhall is a 1300-1400 all purpose yards per season guy when he's healthy and that was behind a very questionable OL... He may not be AP but for goodness sakes, He'd rather leave the position empty?

As for the Browns, there are still a couple guys out there that I would like to get but the Browns said they weren't going to overspend in FA and largely they haven't... I believe it was Bill Polian on the radio the other day that said NFL teams make far more big mistakes in FA than they do in the draft and I tend to believe him... plus, I think people who don't follow the Browns view them as fairly talentless, which they are not.. they don't need 8 new high priced FA to win 8 or 9 games next year and take a big step forward...

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Adam Schein is a New York-based sports commentator and can be heard on Sirius NFL radio weekdays from 11:00am to 3:00pm. He is partnered with Rich Gannon on the show "Sirius Blitz". Schein is loud-mouthed, opinionated, and very outrageous at times. Personally, I can't stand listening to either of those two guys, and really get ticked off when Gannon does TV for some of our games...

Schien has moved over to Maddog Radio,a place that suits his style a little better.
He and Gannon were the perfect team,Gannon never said a bad thing about anybody,Schien doesn't have much good to say,unless you happen to be the reigning SB champs or your initials are BB.
He's a reporter,nothing more nothing less.His job is to stir the pot,obviously he's doing his job.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

We just acquired THE most coveted 3-4 OLB in free agency, and signed a 6'6 311 pound guy who fits the prototypical mold of a 3-4 DE. Both signings were solid guys who filled holes on our defense.

We just ate up a nice sized chunk of our cap with average players. I don't see our pickups as more than players that are safe middle of the pack players.... which makes them all overpriced. We need difference makers and we are now paying these FA like we are expecting them to be such.

The problem with that is that they all became huge risk little reward.

That is why teams that are successful build through the draft and teams like the Redskins (until they drafted RG3) all are mediocre teams.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I might ask just how much of our cap has been taken with these two players?

Kruger's contract is probably going to eat about $8 million per year, based on the signing bonus, first-year roster bonus, and average salaries.

Desmond Bryant's contract looks to be a cap hit of about $4 million per year, based on his signing bonus and average salaries.

Groves is about $1 million per year.

While the exact number is hard to pinpoint, the range stated by various reports indicated we had $49 million in cap space.

Based on those rough numbers, we now have a paltry $36 million in available cap space.

My God...how are we going to get under the cap!?!?!

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Based on those rough numbers, we now have a paltry $36 million in available cap space.

Wasn't aware the Bryant cap hit as that low. Either way, hopefully some of that cap space goes to Mack, Haden, & Ward. Maybe not all this year as Haden has a couple more years to go. But the other two would make sense.

Still need some CB help too- Cason and Talib are still out there.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 03/15/13 10:38 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Wasn't aware the Bryant cap hit as that low. Either way, hopefully some of that cap space goes to Mack, Haden, & Ward. Maybe not all this year as Haden has a couple more years to go. But the other two would make sense.

I have no idea where Toad got his numbers on Bryant but he is going to take up $7mil/year on the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/desmond-bryant/

and I am making an assumption we are spreading out the deal evenly like we did for Kruger (or some years will be higher than $7mil and some lower):

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/paul-kruger/

Last edited by no_logo_required; 03/15/13 10:43 AM.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Let me be clear in stating that the numbers I gave aren't gospel. I'm not holding their signed contracts in my hands, hehe. I'm going off of what Rotoworld has indicated. The information for Bryant indicates a 5-year contract with a cap-hit of $1 million per year just in bonus money. They also indicate his salary for the next year is $3 million. That gives a $4 million cap hit for '13. In future years it could go up, but based on how the league structures contracts now, there aren't huge back-end hits for guys like this that players will see. The Kruger deal would indicate that we're front-loading contracts to take advantage of the space we have right now.

I would suggest my rough number of $36 million has an over/under of about $2 million.

Regarding CB's, Brent Grimes is out there as well. That man is a borderline pro-bowler, but his question is health after missing nearly all of last season. Prior to that, he started 12 games then 16 games 3 seasons in a row. It was reported he'd re-signed with the Falcons but he didn't.

There are corners out there. Safeties as well.

Legend
Legend
So then what you are saying is we only have $33 million left?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm hoping that Lombardi ('cause we haven't seen anything of him lately) is focusing his efforts on getting one of these guys...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Who is Schein? Who does he write for? Never heard of him.

I think the Kruger signing was excellent. Many thought he would command more money.

I think Bryant's figures were a bit high, but not outrageous.

I was hoping we would land either a FS or a CB in FA. Both positions are a concern.

On the other hand, this FA period is sure better than past years when we brought in Usama Young one year and Brandon Jackson another. Who can forget Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace?

I don't know how great this year's FA period has been for us, but I don't think we have bombed.

I agree

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I have no idea where Toad got his numbers on Bryant but he is going to take up $7mil/year on the cap.

Rotoworld says the following: Rotoworld

$1 million per season cap hit in bonus money. $3 million in salary in 2013.

Are the numbers accurate? Your guess is as good as mine.

Legend
Legend
If it's like Bryant's deal, then they'll use some bonuses in lieu of salary as well to balance out the cap cost over the years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

....this FA period is sure better than past years when we brought in Usama Young one year and Brandon Jackson another. Who can forget Jake Delhomme....

I'll pass on your reference to the previous regime . However, I did like Delhomme and thought he played well in the short time prior to the high ankle sprain...

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I would go out on a limb and say that yes, Bryant's deal is like Bryant's deal

F
Legend
Legend
F
jc..

There' s a reason Schein is a talk show host and not NFL front office personel.

We have to pay what the market asks, and we as a team with a history of perpetual losing, may have to add a kicker to that to entice folks.

If I have 2 identical offers 1 for Buffalo, one for New England.... Well I'm going to New England.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

7) Cleveland Browns flop

Paul Kruger was another player on my risky list. The guy has 15.5 sacks in four years, yet he just signed a $40 million deal. Yes, he caught fire late last season and helped the Baltimore Ravens win the Super Bowl. Yes, I love his attitude. But he's done it for a quarter of a season.

And Desmond Bryant gets a five-year contract for $34 million with $15 million guaranteed?!? Wow.

Link

Personally, I like both signings. Is Kruger risky? Possibly, but he's also a potential difference maker. Did we pay too much for both of these guys? Too early to tell, but if there's one thing I feel good about, it's Banner's contract structure ability.

If they don't go out and at least get a slot corner though, I'll be a little worried heading into the draft.

I hate it when someone who doesn't have a life-long love/hate affair with the Browns (like we do) may be telling it like it is. Regardless, we needed person(s) able to rush a QB.

-I still would have loved to have picked up James Harrison for a season or two. Nothing like putting fear into an offense - and he's just the's the guy to do it.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
You're talking about the James Harrison of 2009. That isn't the same guy as the 35-year old, fading player who is a free agent and hasn't had a sniff as of yet.

He's going to be one of these near veteran minimum guys who will have to play on one-year contracts until he's out of the league in 2 years. He doesn't scare teams like he used to, well, unless you're worried about whether or not he's going to cheap-shot one of your players...

1st String
1st String
Quote:

7) Cleveland Browns flop

Link

I agree. We've bombed. We've paid way too much for way too little and not reeled in any big catches at all. Bryant and Kruger are merely 3 star players no where near the worth of the huge contracts.

Either we haven't pursued anyone, we haven't offered the right contracts and cash, or absolutely no high quality, true professional player wants to die in Cleveland.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Huge contracts????

What decade are you in?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Dean has been a fan since '57.

Things cost more than they used to.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would go out on a limb and say that yes, Bryant's deal is like Bryant's deal

Geesh .... Kruger's deal.

Go enjoy your jocks. LOL

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
jc....right now I think we have don a decent job...nothing stellar...nothing bad....and frankly, I like that...because HUGE signings...usually come back to bite you...For every Peyton Manning and Reggie White....there are tens if not hundreds of Haynesworth's, Le Charles Bentley's, Andre Rison's, etc.

To continue ...Sure I wouldn't mind landing Fred Davis...But really I would like to land 2 SD Chargers...CB Antoine Cason, and WR Danario Alexander.....

Neither are massive huge signings But I figure both to be good solid signings.

Cason is more than a replacement for Sheldon Brown...and is still young. plus if we still add a Milliner or Honey Badger in the draft...so much the better...

Alexander has had knee issues but came back and basically replaced Robert Meachum last year. The dude is 6'- 5" tall....let that sink in for a minute....SIX FOOT FIVE INCHES.....that's a nice big target.......who already knows the offense. And with the low tender, SD can match but if they choose not to, we don't owe them a thing because Alexander was undrafted.

Outside of that...I am good as far as FA is concerned...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Dean has been a fan since '57.

Things cost more than they used to.

Yeah. Lou the Toe was getting $1.00 a kick and Leroy Kelly earned 10¢ for every yard gained. But back then...I had to walk 40 miles, barefoot, in the snow uphill both ways to see the Browns play.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Schein Says Browns Bomb So Far In FA

Link Copied to Clipboard