Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Seriously glad you went with it, Dean. Great sense of humor man.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

There' s a reason Schein is a talk show host and not NFL front office personel.

I can help but notice a similarity with someone in our FO ranks....

Tackles are tackles.
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
I would like to see Danario Alexander and Cason as well.. Then in the draft we grab another CB (Milliner if available), a safety or 2 and an ILB prospect.

We may also take a chance at a low rd pick on a kicker if they don't re-sign Dawson.

However, I do believe we are going to sign more as Banner was quoted they would add more.

Let's be realistic, do we want to add high price toys by the bunches and risk having what happened to the Eagles happen ot us, or add players as needed and still build through the draft. I would rather build slower and win long term than one year than back to nothing.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Let's be realistic, do we want to add high price toys by the bunches and risk having what happened to the Eagles happen ot us, or add players as needed and still build through the draft. I would rather build slower and win long term than one year than back to nothing.

That's a smart sentence and one people should keep in mind.

We aren't going to suddenly become a great team after being a bad one based on one off-season of free agent signings. Going the route of trying to fill every single starting position with big-money free agents is a disaster waiting to happen.

We'll fill in a few more gaps with middling free agents then keep working through the draft.

As for Dawson, if he goes there are always solid veterans out there to be had. I would rather have Dawson here, but the reality is that he's nearing the end of the road and kickers are interchangeable to a large degree.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I'm not really crazy about Kruger or Bryant.

But one of the facts about this season is we had absolutely no choice but to spend money. A new rule in the CBA basically said we were going to have to spend a lot in FA. I don't see anyone else who was more worthy of the money out there. And we signed Kruger to a much cheaper deal than was anticipated. A win all around I think.

As long as we get our CB #2 we will be in good shape. Or else that will be our obvious choice in the 1st. A TE signing is also borderline essential. FS is like..not as vital, but ours are really really bad. I could see our 3rd rounder going there.

Legend
Legend
The only thing we've "bombed" is not addressing the secondary. We need to sign either a FS or a CB.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

The only thing we've "bombed" is not addressing the secondary. We need to sign either a FS or a CB.

or both.

on Rhodes

#gmstrong
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I think they have done a nice job so far.

They say that they have a plan so, I'll wait til after the draft to see their full picture.

I think Bryant was a great pick up. He shores up the Dline... with our rookies from last year I think they made our Dline the strongest group.
Kruger was a must... or atleast an OLB was. Whether he is overrated or not he's definitely an upgrade to what we already have and throw Groves into the mix..... Our LB situation is looking much better.

Looking forward: I think its essential to grab a FS and possibly a CB.
Close the deal with Fred Davis, Sign Cason from SD, and this FA will be the best the Browns had in a while.

This allows us to pick up a Guard in the 3rd (Assume Milliner 1st), Grab a young Safety and the rest of the draft go BPA.

E
Legend
Legend
E
just clicking:

1. And foremost Shein is a BOZO sometimes things are that simple

2. Kruger was not from a Top Program n yet he was taken in the 2nd round...so the kid had/has talent. Yes, instead of paying $$$ they just could not afford the Ravens replaced him with another 2nd round investment (in a reasonable contract for several years) from a top SEC school. Got news for all...both picked by Ozzie - the plan was to sign Ellerbe which they had no replacement available. Glad it back fired

3. Kruger had a Pro-Bowler playing ahead of him so that he did not get the reps he would of on a team on the rebuild. So in true BOZO fashion Shein made his ASSumption totally off of Kruger's stats. Oh one season wonder. But he didn't look at the tape n evaluate. He only looked at the Stats.

4. Kruger reminds me of a Young ROTH...but comes without the HEAD CASE...instead shows leadership qualities. Excellent Motor...Over achiever. 2nd round pick reaching EXPECTATIONS...not a 6th rounder getting one year in.

Just a Bozo writing something...as usual without knowing about the subject. Looking for sheep to follow him.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

That's a smart sentence and one people should keep in mind.

We aren't going to suddenly become a great team after being a bad one based on one off-season of free agent signings. Going the route of trying to fill every single starting position with big-money free agents is a disaster waiting to happen.

We'll fill in a few more gaps with middling free agents then keep working through the draft.

As for Dawson, if he goes there are always solid veterans out there to be had. I would rather have Dawson here, but the reality is that he's nearing the end of the road and kickers are interchangeable to a large degree.

FA is also a Hit and Miss game, sure by not playing you avoid the misses, but you don't get the Hits that really upgrade our team.

You have to play the FA game, upgrade when possible, if you overpay some players you have to compensate underpaying some future stars.

You don't get better playing any game by refusing to enter the game...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Free agency started March 12th. That was four days ago. We have signed four players and re-signed one. What team are you talking about?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hate it when someone who doesn't have a life-long love/hate affair with the Browns (like we do) may be telling it like it is. Regardless, we needed person(s) able to rush a QB.

I'm having trouble reconciling some things... we were tied for 11th in the NFL in sacks.. we were in the top half in QBR allowed... and in other threads, I'm told that everybody on our defense sucks against the run... so if we can't stop the run, how did we get that many sacks if we don't have anybody to rush the passer?

yebat' Putin
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
We did have trouble against the run, (I was really surprised as that became apparant that teams didn't run against us more often,) and we were lacking a pass rusher opposite Sheard. I think the moves made were made to help the conversion to the 3-4, address the run stopping issue and add that outside pass rusher. The 11th place in sacks was respectable, but as a D, we weren't elite. Hopefully that's coming and the pieces we've added help get us there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

but as a D, we weren't elite.

No we weren't.. but we weren't exactly the sieve some people want to make us out to be either......

yebat' Putin
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
I spend many hours a week in the car listening to Sirius XM NFL radio. Adam Schein is a Browns hater pure and simple. The could sign God and he would have an issue with it. He predicted we would win one game last year and while we exceeded that by far never once did he say anything good. Screw him

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I spend many hours a week in the car listening to Sirius XM NFL radio. Adam Schein is a Browns hater pure and simple. The could sign God and he would have an issue with it. He predicted we would win one game last year and while we exceeded that by far never once did he say anything good. Screw him

Are you sure you're not talking about Pete Prisco? I know he's a Browns' hater and also picked us to win one game.

But then again, when we lose every year, you tend to find few people in your corner of the ring....

Tackles are tackles.
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Trust me it was Schein. The guy literally gushes venom when talking about the Browns. Now he has moved over to Maddog Radio where he can spew more nonsense about all sports as opposed to just football.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Why Brown's fans get upset over what anyone in the media says or doesn't say will always baffle me.

They are paid to create controversy in most cases. Even the good reporters have to have a little edge to them now and again.

The signings we have fill a need - big needs - and the players look as if they are MAJOR upgrades over what we have. Time will tell.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
We were 23rd in yards allowed and 19th in points allowed.

We got worse as the year progressed. Part of that was injuries, but every team has injuries.

We allowed the most points since 2009, at 368, (we allowed 375 in 2009)

Our last 3 games were against the Redskins, Broncos, and Steelers. We allowed 38, 34, and 24 in those 3 games. We had only allowed 24 or more points 5 times through our 1st 13 games. The bottom fell out at the end.

Overall, I was pleased with the development of the defense, until those final 3 games. They folded badly in those games, and that's a big reason why it was easy for Chud to convince the powers that be to go with a 3-4 defense. After all, ASAIK, Banner had been a 4-3 guy his whole career prior to this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Who would that be?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What started off as an "A" grade after day 1, has turned IMO to about a "C" at this point.

about the only thing that happened after the first 24 hours was that we resigned Obi. that's about it.

how, with no other action, does it go from an A to a C..

And you can't use the old,, what have they done since because you don't know what the tried to do. you make your offers, sometimes, guys take them, sometimes they don't.. flip a coin.

we had/have enough money to have bought anyone we wanted, but then you end up like Philly a few years ago. How did that work out.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I'm having trouble reconciling some things... we were tied for 11th in the NFL in sacks.. we were in the top half in QBR allowed... and in other threads, I'm told that everybody on our defense sucks against the run... so if we can't stop the run, how did we get that many sacks if we don't have anybody to rush the passer?

Interesting. I have thought that most overestimate our defense.

We didn't score a lot of points. As a result, teams were conservative on offense against us. We got up early on the Giants and I think they laid 44 on us. We scored some on the Bengals and they were in the 30s. Denver and Washington both lit us up.

I don't think we were awful, but I think we ranked terrible in a lot of important stats, such as 3rd down conversions. The defense needed upgrades. I think it still does. Question is---how much can they get done in one year?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I have thought that most overestimate our defense.

I don't think we were awful, but I think we ranked terrible in a lot of important stats, such as 3rd down conversions.

I think a lot of us were fooled by the speed at which our defense played. I don't remember seeing a Browns defense playing that fast since our return. No doubt that was a result of our young roster and a scheme that allowed it.

But speed isn't enough.

Banner said the same as you regarding ranking terrible in important stats:

"We felt like the defense wasn't good enough, to be very direct about it," Banner said. "If you went into some of the more sophisticated breakdowns of the defense this year, and by that I mean some of these systems that take out certain plays and that truly measure your success at crucial times in crucial situations, and so on and so forth, we were ranked 20 or lower in most of those categories."
cleveland.com

With the signings of Kruger and Bryant and some moving players around we'll keep that speed and add pressure to the mix. Guys like Rubin and Taylor can be rotated in and out depending on what they do best in this scheme. Same goes even for Kruger and Bryant. I'm sure we'll see Kruger playing some DE and Bryant some NT in certain situations. All the DL and LB's will be moved around like that IMO. It all depends on who does what best while keeping everyone fresh.

I'm excited to see how this defense develops. Even more so if we can add a CB and FS yet in FA. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for that. You know Banner et al know we need those positions filled but are being patient as they look for quality and value while keeping within their plan.

I hope it works.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who would that be?

It starts with "L" and ends with "ombardi".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good info, Double d. Thanks.

We really do need another cb and a FS. Not sure if we can do it all in a year, but I think they are trying. I am a bit perplexed we haven't signed at least one cb or FS. We'll see.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Lombardi as a radio talk show host? Really?

That's just downright mean and vindictive. The guy is no shock jock. He had opinions as an NFL analyst, but he was never crass or abrasive. I think he is actually rather soft-spoken and analytical, rather than obnoxious and confrontational.

I guess it was just more agenda BS from a certain segment of the other board. How shocking.

Legend
Legend
As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Lombardi, and I'm not at all disappointed in his moves so far. I was just pointing out who the other poster was referring to.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know, j. My comments were not directed towards you. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

If people suddenly expect these guys to turn into a 26 year old Freeney then I think they will be mistaken......those guys seldom to never make it to FA. However, if your looking at getting 2 solid football players who should give you 5-9 sacks a year (as I believe the FO does) then these are both good signings.

Expectations are usually way out of wack with FA signings based on their contract. FAs get over bloated contracts but if they are solid pieces moving forward they worked out.

As someone else mentioned I am curious to see how they address the secondary, because it is awefull risky to rely on things breaking our way in the draft at both CB and FS.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Seriously glad you went with it, Dean. Great sense of humor man.

Brother, youse gots da have a sense of humor when youse been a Browns fan for so many years.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

How many years do you think God has left in Him? Can he play CB or S? We gotta get this guy!

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Browns flop ? Then says...
Quote:

Yes, he caught fire late last season and helped the Baltimore Ravens win the Super Bowl. Yes, I love his attitude.

I guess the Browns FO loves his attitude also...

I hope the " D " is a Bomb....And explodes FEAR.. Confusion & Pain on all the "O's " it goes against this season.... lol

It's illegal to create fear and inflict pain on the opposition in the modern NFL. Defense is fast becoming irrelevant. Every year more rules forbid hitting. This year they are talking about making it illegal for a RB to lead with his helmet because hitting is EVIL. It was hard watching this past season. In the past I watched a lot of football besides the Browns games. Last year it was pretty much the Browns and I was done for the week.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think the Browns signings have been good so far. Im a big D guy so i think the Bryant and Kruger signings are just what need....you need a solid Front 7 on D in the NFL to compete...if we keep both Rubin and Taylor (im hoping we do) we should have a very good D Front 7...

with a good Front 7 D....8 wins is reachable....I think Bryant and Kruger are both difference makers and very good signings...don't be suprised if they hit the ground running and make an impact sooner rather then later...a good D Front 7 can mask weaknesses in the secondary...ask the Pittsburgh Steelers who have been doing it for over a decade.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Who is Schein? Who does he write for? Never heard of him.

I think the Kruger signing was excellent. Many thought he would command more money.

+ 1

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just to throw it in there....

You said that we signed guys who filled holes on our defense.

We signed a strong side 34OLB and a 34 DE.

These roles were played by Sheard and Taylor in our 43.

Just sayin. And this is the last defensive conversion comment I'll make.

We took two guys that were very good at their roles in the 43 and spent $72 Million on guys that are very good at their role in a 34.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Just to throw it in there....

You said that we signed guys who filled holes on our defense.

These roles were played by Sheard and Taylor in our 43.

Just sayin. And this is the last defensive conversion comment I'll make.

We took two guys that were very good at their roles in the 43 and spent $72 Million on guys that are very good at their role in a 34.

That is exactly what we did. Exactly. We made holes, then filled them.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
As a service to my fellow Dawgs, I thought I would provide some truly analytical evaluations for general consumption, as opposed to talking loud-mouths who know less than about 50% of the fans on this forum. While there have been more than one detractor in the media, I prefer to listen to the people who actually look deeper into the numbers than just read from pre-rehearsed scripts.

So, here's this from ProFootballFocus...

web page

Scale:
+2.0 points: A move that is expected to take your franchise to another level. They don't expect any of those
+1.5 points: That's just a great value!
+1.0 points: That move could work out very nicely!
+0.5 points: Common sense shines through.
+/-0 points: Indifference
-.05 points: Did you really need to make that move?
-1.0 points: That's an awfully big gamble there.
-1.5 points: Now why would you go and do that??
-2.0 points: You're bringing Brett Favre back?!

That's their grading scale. The moves for the Browns which made it to their ranking system are as follows:

+0.5: Common sense shines through

Desmond Bryant (DT) to CLE: 5-year, $34m deal

If it weren’t for the money involved this would get a higher grade because Bryant is a guy who can really play. He was our sixth ranked defensive tackle last year with the sixth highest pass rushing productivity of all his peers. But he’s more than just a one dimensional pass rusher and held up against the run well too. It’s that all round ability and versatility (he spent most of 2011 at defensive end for the Raiders) which makes him an excellent fit for a Cleveland defense needing someone who can make an impact up front.

+.05 points: Common sense shines through.

Paul Kruger (LB) to CLE: 5-year, $41m deal

You could argue that this is too much for a player who has yet to prove himself a top level pass rusher. But what the Browns have done is get themselves a good player, and more so they’ve got him from a divisional rival. Considering how impotent their pass rush was last year (and they lost their most prolific guy in Juqua Parker) this was a need pick up, and they were always going to have to overpay a little for it. Kruger now needs to demonstrate he can produce pressure consistently, and as a teams top pass rusher. He’s building from a solid base after leading the 2012 pass rushing productivity ratings for 3-4 outside linebackers.

I'm of the exact same opinion regarding these two moves. Did the Browns pay a premium for these two players? Yes they did, but that's the price you pay when you've drafted poorly and have do dig deeply to get help in free agency. It's less about the money involved and more about the players involved. Even if these two players give just adequate production, they'll have been well worth it.

Taking this a step further, I'd grade the Groves deal in the +1.0 category. He's not costing us much of anything in relation to how it'll effect the building of the rest of the team. He gives the team quality depth who did bring 4-sacks and 46 tackles to the Cards last year, and he understands what Horton is trying to do. He also represents insurance in case Sheard fails to transition, or one of the two starters go down with injury.

Looking at that list, there are some teams who graded out very poorly for the size of the contracts they handed out. The Browns are not one of those teams. I see solid risk for what we've received, and have seen the negativity towards this regime quieting down.

Banner has been bashed unfairly so it's nice to see his smarts shining through.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i completely agree. Common sense on both of those pickups, 1.0 on Groves because he ain't costing us much

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

These roles were played by Sheard and Taylor in our 43

Held, I love ya man, but this doesn't make any sense. Taylor was a DT, not a DE.

I don't think we created holes on the DL. I think we brought in two very good pass rushers to pressure the qb. Kruger has great upside and Bryant is also stout against the run.

I will say it was funny to see how long it took Spirit to jump on your comments. "Exactly..."

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Good Lord man.
There will be pain involved in any transition,that's the way it works.This is only the beginning,there will be more players coming in,more players leaving.
You're not the only skeptic around here,but at some point you have to be honest,these aren't bad moves.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Schein Says Browns Bomb So Far In FA

Link Copied to Clipboard