Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Back to the thread:

I think Hasselback is very interesting. He would be a good choice if we decide to give Weeden another year. Hasselback could come in for Weeden if the latter flops--which is certainly a possibility.

we could have gotten him like 3 years ago and most people didn't want him... because of his age.
I don't know why we would want him now that more time has passed and he has only gotten older and his durability has gotten worse.

3 years ago I wanted him. Especially since we were moving to a West Coast offense that he knew so well. Now I think he has lost too much arm strength to be an effective starter.

Unless he had some kind of injury that I am unaware of and has since recovered.

Last edited by Jester; 03/19/13 08:06 AM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #764846 03/19/13 10:38 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yes I too lobbied in the Fandom world for us to pick Hasselback up in 2011 and just could not understand us not being a player for him.

Now - not a vertical stretch type of QB although he did like to throw long - maybe why Holmgren didn't want him? Hated the fact we signed Wallace n he was useless as a "team Player".

I would see him strictly as a backup vet mentor. Not competition for the starting QB job.

OG at #6...old old thinking back in January early Feb. Warmack played that hand into a late round pick. Cooper might go before him cause of the combine but not earlier than Mid Round. OG might have been a brief thought I know I had that thought. But Warmack dropped while Ansah rose as well as Medically Jones was found sound n even stated Miss Diagnosed with the Stenosis thing. Things change...but Inside info???

Maybe somebody hiding in the stall next door n heard Banner yell out...OH Guard! as he ate the wrong food that day!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #764847 03/19/13 10:41 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hasselback would have been a great addition 3 years ago but now he would be no more than a QB coach and we already have one of those ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Is it a done deal in INDY??? Perfect spot for him...Vet Mentor. jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #764849 03/19/13 10:53 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Is it a done deal in INDY??? Perfect spot for him...Vet Mentor. jmho

Good now we don't have to have that discusion any longer ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

we could have gotten him like 3 years ago and most people didn't want him... because of his age.
I don't know why we would want him now that more time has passed and he has only gotten older

Because he's still younger than Weeden.....

ClayM57 #764851 03/19/13 12:38 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know why we would want him now that more time has passed and he has only gotten older

Because he's still younger than Weeden.....

LOL!

Dawg_LB #764852 03/19/13 12:43 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Matt Hasselbeck back in 2010 sounded way better than Jake Delhomme when we first got Mike Holmgren, I thought for sure that was going to happen. Now it being 2013 and multiple back injuries later I say absolutely NOT to Mr. Hasselbeck.

Let Weeden and Colt battle it out for the starting job, or bring Ryan Mallet and let him join the mix, but we don't need an injury prone veteran on the team.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
MrKelso #764853 03/19/13 12:46 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
From what I hear, Hasselbeck and the Colts are pretty much a sure thing. I mean it's a perfect fit for Matt and a perfect fit for the Colts.

Bringing Matt here, IMO, is just providing mentoring. We need to provide competition.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Shaun Phillips is a guy that is still out there. That surprises me. He is not an elite pass rusher, but he can definitely still play. He had 9.5 sacks last season.

I don't think we will sign him, but I am surprised because I haven't seen him mentioned at all.

cfrs15 #764855 03/19/13 06:04 PM
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Texans' offer to Ed Reed

Posted by Josh Alper on March 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT The Texans and the agents for safety Ed Reed met again in Phoenix, but reports are that they aren’t any closer to a deal.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the two sides are “not close” on agreeing to terms at this point in their conversations. According to McClain, the Texans offered Reed a contract that would pay him a little more than $4 million a year. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun hears the same and adds that it was a three-year offer.

Both men also agree that Reed is looking for more money, in the $6-7 million range, and that appears to be more than the Ravens are willing to pay as well. If Reed is only going to sign a contract that pays him around the same amount he made last year — $7.2 million — he could be waiting a while to wind up on a team for the 2013 season.

If that’s the case, the Texans and Ravens might both move on to other safety options and leave Reed with even less appealing offers if he’s going to keep his career going.

Legend
Legend
Have you guys seen the Oakland Raiders roster?

They seriously might go 0-16 next year. That team is TERRIBLE. There only wins were a sweep over Kansas City, Jacksonville and a fluke win over Pittsburgh.

Legend
Legend
Yep. They are awful. They rival JAX and NYJ for worst team in the league. They have just about nobody on defense. That's what inspired my subheader for their mock draft page: http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Mocks/Post-Combine/OAK.aspx

2013 Post-Combine Mock NFL Draft: Oakland Raiders
Where any pick is an upgrade.

A nice draft on defense and they can compete in some games, though.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Oakland definitely looks quite questionable this coming year... oh well, not our problem

Dawg_LB #764859 03/20/13 12:23 PM
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Yeah, Chokeland is awful. I love it as a Chargers fan.

No offensive line, no defense, mediocre QB, etc.

Dawg_LB #764860 03/20/13 12:43 PM
Legend
Legend
The really weird part is that they actually have a couple of decent receivers though ...... even without Heyward-Bey.

They have Rod Streater, who shows real promise, and Denarius Moore looks like he has a future in the NFL as well. They also have Jacoby Ford, who has played well at times, but was hurt last year.

Too bad for them they may not have a QB to throw the ball to this group of guys, who might be their most talented unit on the time.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
BLURB

Browns' options at tight end dwindling

By Jamison Hensley | Mar 18, 2013 2:55 PM

Ben Watson, the Cleveland Browns' starting tight end for the past three seasons, signed a three-year deal with the New Orleans Saints on Monday. While the Browns weren't expected to re-sign Watson, this officially means they'll need to find a new starting tight end.

Cleveland was supposed to address this position in free agency because the team isn't ready to turn to unproven Jordan Cameron. The options in free agency are now very limited at tight end.

The Browns were reportedly looking at Redskins free-agent tight end Fred Davis, but nothing has materialized yet. Davis' focus these days is more on a court case than free-agency. Cleveland was also interested in Brandon Myers before he signed with the Giants on Sunday. Another potential target, Dustin Keller, signed with the Dolphins on Friday. The Browns have looked at Kellen Davis, but he has a total of 37 catches the past two seasons. Watson had 37 catches in his worst season for the Browns.

Other than Fred Davis, the rest of the top 10 free-agent tight ends are gone. The remaining tight ends are the likes of Dallas Clark (47 catches last year), David Thomas (11 catches last year) and Kevin Boss (three catches last season).

I'm not sure what the Browns' plan is for the tight end position, but they'll have to act soon. If not, they'll either have to address this position early in the draft or hope Cameron develops faster than last season.

Legend
Legend
I am so tired of Jamison Hensley. He has really gone off the deep end since he realized his Ravens will be dismantled.

At least he didn't suggest we make an offer on Pitta who would make the Ravens due a 2nd-round pick (or in our case, since we don't have one, our 1st round pick.)

Last edited by clevesteve; 03/20/13 03:38 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Cleveland was supposed to address this position in free agency because the team isn't ready to turn to unproven Jordan Cameron. The options in free agency are now very limited at tight end.

Ok, this could be true,, I don't know. The real question is this, how does he know that they aren't ready to turn to Jordan Cameron? He showed flashes, maybe Turner who loves TE's and Chud who does also, looked at tape and said,, hey, we can make this guy better.

Isn't that just as possible?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Ok, this could be true,, I don't know. The real question is this, how does he know that they aren't ready to turn to Jordan Cameron? He showed flashes, maybe Turner who loves TE's and Chud who does also, looked at tape and said,, hey, we can make this guy better.

Isn't that just as possible?

Very Possible ... Cameron looked good when playing he has size and showed very good hands when used ... JMHO

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

because the team isn't ready to turn to unproven Jordan Cameron.

First off this Bozo just made this one up...yes, the fact is Jordan Cameron is unproven. But he don't know DIDDLY what this team is ready or not ready to do.

TE isn't the most difficult position in the world. We might have one of the best environment for a young TE...also he totally ignored the fact that we did sign a Young TE very similar to Cameron in youth n being unproven. Of course Chud coached him n knows his abilities.

I do think if there was not a big time EARLY run on TEs probably we would be in a hunt for a veteran. But so we draft one there seems to be a hefty quantity of late 2nd to 5th round TEs with not much separating them. But Kasa probably top of the list although no more a secret. Hit coach is now our TE coach Who knows we could always get stuck with a kid like Sims or Toilolo. So we go with the Yutes with - TE routes are not that complicated. I think we can say we got a pretty decent coaching staff that can develop TEs...So if that is all this Bozo has on us...

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #764868 03/20/13 05:15 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yeah, EO, that's what struck me..

losing Ben Watson is the best this guy could come up with?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Bears announced the team is moving forward without Brian Urlacher. Some team that runs a 4-3 will want him and, IMO, get 2-3 serviceable years from him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...h-chicago-bears

Dawg_LB #764870 03/20/13 07:28 PM
Legend
Legend
I'm hearing Reed to Houston is done.

Damn the Ravens are going to be different next year

Dawg_LB #764871 03/20/13 08:00 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Bears announced the team is moving forward without Brian Urlacher. Some team that runs a 4-3 will want him and, IMO, get 2-3 serviceable years from him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...h-chicago-bears

He's one of those players where it's gonna be weird seeing him in a different uni.

If healthy, he's still a great option. The Bears numbers the last few years have been really bad when he's gone down.

I really hope Jay Cutler is ready to score 20-30 points to win games, because that is coming. Especially in that division.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm hearing Reed to Houston is done.

Damn the Ravens are going to be different next year

Looking that way - love it as both a texans and browns fan!

<><

#gmstrong
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
According to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer, Munnerlyn’s deal with Carolina is for one year. The Bears had also offered Munnerlyn a one-year contract, Person reported on Wednesday.

Munnerlyn started 11 games for the Panthers in 2012, notching 61 tackles. He returned both of his interceptions for touchdowns. He took over for the injured Chris Gamble, whom Carolina released earlier in the offseason.

Munnerlyn, who ranks No. 91 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100, does not turn 25 until April, placing him on the younger side for an unrestricted free agent.

In addition, the Panthers have reached agreement on a one-year deal with Raiders free agent safety Mike Mitchell, Person reported. Mitchell told the Observer he will compete to start at strong safety. Mitchell racked up 41 tackles in 16 games for Oakland last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Bummer. I fully expected we'd sign him.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really don't "understand" the "plan" for the CB position...let's see what we have

1. Browns needing at least 1 CB, def need a starting outside option
2. FA class full of CBs in their prime
3. Browns having tons of money to spend
4. FA class being MUCH cheaper than anticipated

By now, there are no starting CB options left who are under 30yo....so, what's the plan? Why go into the draft with such a big need, when CB was arguably the easiest and value-cheapest position to fix in FA this offseason? Who are the "starters" left? Nnamdi? Winfield? Grimes? DeA.Hall? Bring back Sheldon?

Same goes for FS...what's the plan? Rhodes? Mikell? M.Williams? All these guys are weill over 30yo

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I wasn't big on Captain Munnerlyn, but he signed a 1 year deal, so it wouldn't have hurt us going forward if we could have landed him. Same goes for many of the free agents out there now. Many guys will go for 1 or 2 year deals at this point. Immediate help, easy to get off the payroll.

Cap-Paranoia is a valid excuse for skipping on 5 year deals, absolutely. But I never bought it from H&H when we were $10 million under and there were 1-2 year options. I'm sorry, I don't buy into the Cap Fear when there are 1 year options. I'm not sure if we're done or not, we shall see.

Here's what Haslam said:

"We're not going 13-3...We had a lot of cap space. We used about half of it. That was on purpose. Next year, we’ll probably use most of the rest of it. We want to be very disciplined and not end up in a bind in two years. We feel good about the moves we’ve made this off-season. Now, we need to have a really good draft.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=14561

V
Legend
Legend
V
Heckert never valued the FS position, nor recognized that Brown was getting older. He chose to draft multiple RBs and QBs high in the draft. The guy truly was a genius.

But let's bash the new regime because they haven't filled both of those glaring holes in 3 weeks. That's the ticket.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I can only assume we are still in the hunt for Grimes??? He hasn't signed yet? I'm guessing we hold Grimes much higher than others on the list. We will not move on n sign another as long as Grimes and/or his agent is saying we are definitely in the hunt still. Just guessing - I don't think we designate a need n then go out n OVER SPEND on just anyone so we can say Phew ok got that covered.

Note: I said from the get go that we would be getting a FA CB so I hear ya just I don't think these CBs have designated us as a place to be. Team, State Tax, Turnover of System...whatever the reason or combo of. Only Grimes has come in for a visit n that did smell so much like a Thank You So Much - Don't Call Us We Will Now Use Your Offer As Leverage In Our Negotiations.

Free Safety...I wanted the kid from Buffalo - that came off the table quick...but I haven't seen them put much interest in acquiring a FA FS - Possibly they have assessed Young, Gipson, Hagg n Ward as good enough not to OVERPAY in FA market.

They also have an obvious plan. That they did not wish to acquire band-aids (aged last legged good players) they told us n have kept to their word.

But I don't see a FS urgency from them. I also see them picking just a few candidates for CB n most of them signed elsewhere without coming here???

So we build this through the draft n don't FA just anyone (thank goodness) adding good pieces that fit n not too many at one time. Sometimes I see our fans going Gimme Gimme Gimme - like a child in a candy shop. If we give in all the fans would get from that is one big STOMACH ACHE. I see we got a plan n sticking to it.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Here's what Haslam said:

...We had a lot of cap space. We used about half of it. That was on purpose. Next year, we’ll probably use most of the rest of it. We want to be very disciplined and not end up in a bind in two years. We feel good about the moves we’ve made this off-season. Now, we need to have a really good draft.”

I can buy into that. The FA signings were solid in my opinion, and we seemingly used good judgement by not going overboard. We may pick up another player or two in the next "round" of FA and with who we draft, we should be in good shape.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Heckert never valued the FS position, nor recognized that Brown was getting older. He chose to draft multiple RBs and QBs high in the draft. The guy truly was a genius.

But let's bash the new regime because they haven't filled both of those glaring holes in 3 weeks. That's the ticket.

Are we being sensitive again this morning, huh? Bashing? You bash the last regime at every turn even when they're not the center of the discussion and this post is perfect proof for that. Your "agenda" detector is very sensitive and YOU'RE actually the one who ends up making it a agenda debate to begin with...weren't you the one who said to move on? Yet all I see you is bash the old regime when someone dares to question ANYTHING what's going on right now....as if the perceived shortcomings of the old regime somehow make this regime look better. This is a "questionable" argument anyway I look at this. We can debate all day long if Heckert had the same type of value at FS and CB in his FA classes (rethorical question, he hadn't...Eric freaking Wright got a 8mil a season contract, remember? We could have landed K.Lewis AND Munnerlyn for that money), but the fact is, it doesn't matter anymore since they are gone, right? So why are you so quick to bring them up and bash them to apologize for this regime? What's the point? Me thinks you have more agenda in your belly than you care to admit....I don't know what fights, with what posters you had over at the old board, but it wasn't with me....so next time you jump on me on anything that "questions" this FO, keep in mind that I was pretty happy with the start of FA....I call em like I see them and right now I have every right to question their non moves at DB in a very deep and relatively cheap DB-class...it doesn't get much better than that.

Weren't you also the one that said we need strong DB play since we will be attacking up front? What ever happened to that opinion? Guess you forgot about it while opening up an agenda battle where there was none instead of "talking football"...grab a mirror Vers, quick

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
eotab #764881 03/21/13 08:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Agreed, Eo. I especially wanted to focus on the tail end of this post, because I think it touched a huge factor. Simply coaching. We have some coaches in this group who seem to be able to develop talent. Cameron may be unproven, certainly had little chance to be developed under the offense as Shurm called it.
I think he is physically talented enough; if used right, and coached up, he might be a solid weapon. The tradeoff I see is coaching up the youngsters versus using vets. We can do both. This "slow FA" with this FO may indicate confidence in the coaches brought in. In a way, building through the draft is a way to go versus buying overpriced vets, something we have seen fail a bunch. But a huge difference maker is coaching up what you have and utilizing their strengths to win. Norv is great at that.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg_LB #764882 03/21/13 08:25 AM
Legend
Legend
What a pickup this could be. A solid transition guy, vet presence, lockerrom, goal line, and full time in front seven perhaps. This was a shocker to me, but so was Dawson.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
NRTU, Bard.

I just read this on PFT and thought it so hilariously ridiculous that I wanted to quote it:

Quote:

The Panthers were afraid the Browns were going to steal QB Derek Anderson away.

Maybe that's only funny to me, but I wanted to share just in case it wasn't...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sensitive? LMAO-----I was playing w/you. I would say that you are the one who is sensitive.

And I do have an agenda. We all do. The difference is I admit it.

I couldn't stand The Big Show. Thought he was a phony who stole money. I don't think Heckert was a buffoon, but I sure as heck don't think he was as great as most people around here claim. I am thrilled they are gone. I won't miss seeing multiple picks on RBs, QBs, and WRs in the first few rounds of the draft. I won't miss the Usama Youngs of the world.

I don't know if the new regime is going to be successful or not. I don't see how they could do any worse, but you never know. I am of the opinion it is pretty early in the process to make a definitive judgement either way. They haven't even had a draft yet? They haven't even played one single game yet. They haven't played one season yet. And they sure as heck haven't had THREE FREAKING YEARS!!!

So yeah.....I do have an agenda. That agenda is that I think it is more than unfair to blast the current regime and act like the previous regime was so effective. And, I really don't give a rat's butt if you have a problem w/that.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency IV

Link Copied to Clipboard