Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I
So since we signed Kruger, and plan to move Sheard to OLB, then there Is no point to draft LB at #6. And since there Is no good quality ILB's In this Draft, then that decreases the chances even more.

Going by our current signings and defensive plans, this Is what I have summed up about who will be starting, and who won't be.

NT : Rubin
RE : Taylor
LE : Bryant
MLB : Jackson
MLB #2 : ???
ROLB : Sheard
LOLB : Kruger
CB : Haden
CB #2 : ???
SS : Ward
FS : ???

So who will we draft? well personally, I think Millinner would be #1 on our prospect list. And since the Lions need a D-lineman, I think there Is a great chance that Millinner will fall to us.

(My mock draft going from #1 to #6 based on Free Agency)

#1 Chiefs : Joeckel, OT (After Winstons release, this pick only makes sense)

#2 Jaguars : Fisher, OT (If the Jags ever want to be successful, they need to get some quality O-Lineman, and a whole new team In general)

#3 Raiders : Floyd DT, (If the Raiders don't draft a Defensive Tackle, then they will be screwed. Especially after losing Seymour, and Bryant. Kellys future also looks dull, so don't be surprised If you see Oakland draft a D-Lineman)

#4 Eagles : Smith, QB : (Surprised? don't be, the Eagles need a QB, and Smith would be a perfect fit. Why not go QB? Vick isn't going to lead that team to a win every sunday, and plus, he's getting old)

#5 Lions : Moore, DE : (After losing Avril In Free Agency, the Lions are going to have to address their D-Line, unless they plan on giving up 100+ Rushing Yards per game. So Detroit most likely will be going D-Lineman at #5)

#6 Browns : Millinner, CB : (Put a star CB next to Haden, and move Brown back to Free Safety, and you got yourself a pretty solid Defense. Allthough Brown can't play CB, and gets burned most of the time, he still excells at a pretty high level when It comes to Zone Coverage, and would make an excellent Free Safety)

The only other options that I see at #6 for us would be Barkley, and although I'm not against that, I'm not totally for It either, which Is why I'd rather have Millinner. Because when I think of Football, especially when It comes to building a Football team, I believe that you should build from what you got, and not from what you don't have.

Even If we decide to draft Barkley, or any QB In General, who's going to protect him? and who Is he going to throw to besides Gordon and Richardson? which Is why I'm not all In for Barkley.

Definitely think this team should go Defense with Millinner In the Draft, because he'd be a better fit.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
i say NO

If Milliner doesnt fall to us... I would do everything possible to trade down some spots and pick up the next CB on the board

I
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I
Quote:

i say NO

If Milliner doesnt fall to us... I would do everything possible to trade down some spots and pick up the next CB on the board

I also wouldn't mind Warmack If we traded down, he'd be good for Richardson.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We need another reminder that Sheldon Brown is no longer with us.

If Milliner fell to our spot, I would be ecstatic.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
I
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I
Quote:

Really? wow, thought he was still with us. Well hopefully, someone In the FO Is looking to sign a Free Safety, I know Rhodes and Reed Is still on the Market.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm shocked we're not hearing more about the Rhodes/Horton connection.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My Dream:

1) CB Milliner
3) S Rambo

Defense would be S.E.T.!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Really? wow, thought he was still with us. Well hopefully, someone In the FO Is looking to sign a Free Safety, I know Rhodes and Reed Is still on the Market.

The reason I'm not ecstatic about Milliner has nothing to do with his talent. I think the Browns are missing the opportunity to solve the starting CB problem right now in FA. There have been players available this week who could have solved this problem but the Browns do not appear to have competed for them. I remain focused on our front 7 and think Ansah is the better option, if available, begrudginly I'll list Jordan also.

The reason is that unless you force a QB to throw before he wants to throw you can defeat good pass coverage with time. With enough time, pass completions become more likely. The antedote to time is pressure, not coverage. So Ansah and Jordan offer a more valuable skill to the defense than Milliner for the reasons I state.

Beyond that, there remain a number of gaping holes on this team. FS, TE, FB K, PT, and (QB- the FO's perspective not mine) are among the more obvious ones. Eliminate a few more of those before locking in on CB at pick #6.

As for the trade down options, I don't know any teams agendas, including the Browns. I just don't see an obvious trade partner and you need one to make a deal.

Last edited by guard dawg; 03/15/13 05:10 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would trade down a few spots even if Milliner is there at #6. I like Rhodes just as well as a player and I don't like that Milliner needs surgery on his labrum. I also think that Milliner is a better zone Cb and Rhodes is better at man coverage. And I think that will fir better into Horton's D. JMO

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Obviously the financial cost of trading up are less daunting than they were before the rookie scale was put in the CBA. Aside from that, what would compell another team to trade up to 6? I don't see a must have prospect that a team would be williing to give up a second round pick to acquire.

Its easy to say trade down but who do you envision being there that other teams want that badly? And who might be those teams?

I would like to do this as much as the next fan but these questions need plausible answers.

Last edited by guard dawg; 03/15/13 05:35 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I say second round pick because that's what the Browns covet. Personally I would be happy to exchange 1's and take a extra 3rd rounder.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can see Miami (if they don't resign Jake Long) or SD wanting to trade up ahead of Arizona to get one of the LT's. Especially if 2 of the "Big 3" are taken by #6.

I can see Buffalo wanting to jump Arizona to grab a QB.
The Jets possibly wanting to jump Arizona and Buffalo to grab a QB. Doubtful given Sanchez's contract but he only has one year left so not completely unfeasible. Plus you never know what those yahoo's will do. Rex might fall in love with one of the OLb's (Javis Jones?) and make a move to go get him.

TB may want to jump up to grab Milliner if they don't trade for Revis (which has been rumored). They might even be interested in a new Qb because it certainly seems as if they are not happy with Freeman.

I wouldn't want to drop any further than that unless I was completely overwhelmed by an offer.

So that is 5 teams between 8 and 13. How about that for potential trade down partners? And rereading your post I noticed you mention a 2nd round pick. I didn't. Fair trade would more likely be a 3rd this year or possibly a 2nd in next year's draft.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I asked for plausible senarios and you delivered! A number of conditions would need to come together for any of them to happen but you proposed multiple options increasing the likelihood that just one of them might actually happen.

I did say that I was not opposed to this option and I'm not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree that trade down is easier said than done so before I propose a trade down I always look for scenarios that would one find us a trade partner and two have a guy targeted at that new draft slot.

The rookie salary scale really helps teams that want to trade down. It was much harder to trade out of the top ten pre rookie scale. It used to take a special player for teams to want to trade up. And in those scenarios why would you want to trade down? Why not just take that special player? But now teams are willing to trade up for need to grab a good player even if he isn't that special talent.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would be very happy with Milliner falling to us, but I don't see him getting past the Eagles. They just lost both starters from last year.... a corner fits them very well. Could be wrong.....never know what a first year HC on a new team will do, but he'd be crazy not taking Milliner.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Right now I'd be happy with Milliner, Jones, or a trade down... haven't looked enough to see if there's anyone else in the top 10 I'd really want but if we stay at 6 and don't take a CB or LB I'll be surprised.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I really think we need to take BPA at 6 and then try and fill the rest of the holes. This team sorely lacks top tier talent.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I think we trade down and get a 2nd rounder. We will select Trufant (best pure cover corner in the draft), Zach Ertz or Escobar (TE) with 2nd and Justin Pugh (LT/OG) with the 3rd.

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
I'd love to make a trade with the 49ers and somehow get Picks #31 and #34.

Browns Get: Picks #31 and #34
49ers Get: Pick #6 and (fill in the blank; have at it)

If we stay at #6, I have no problem drafting Milliner or any DB that fit the mold. Regardless, we need to use our 1st Round pick on D, not O. Look for sleeper gems in the later rounds for O.

Legend
Legend
Worst case scenario that we can't get Milliner:

Option A

1. Vaccaro
3. Poyer

Option B

1. Ansah
3. Poyer / Rambo

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. No way Lions would take Moore over Ansah...not that it changes your post much...just saying

I cannot guess for certain about our War Room...but if we are targeting Geno or Millner obviously we will not go for OLB.

A lot of thought cause it seems we are very confident that Sheard will be a player in our new D. At first I'm saying wow...we won't go OLB at #6.

But the more I think about this - I don't think you can have enough Studs in those ATTACK type of LBs. So even if we love Sheard we still could be targeting Ansah/Jones/Jordan at #6 or a small drop back. Whoever plays the run better will play running downs but when we are ahead n teams have to pass or just Passing downs or playing Spread offenses - We take our NT out n Attack with 5LBs blitzing all over the place along with 2 DL!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

But the more I think about this - I don't think you can have enough Studs in those ATTACK type of LBs. So even if we love Sheard we still could be targeting Ansah/Jones/Jordan at #6 or a small drop back. Whoever plays the run better will play running downs but when we are ahead n teams have to pass or just Passing downs or playing Spread offenses - We take our NT out n Attack with 5LBs blitzing all over the place along with 2 DL!

JMHO

I'm asking because I'm trying to learn something... Is what you describe here, a 2-5 alignment, something you have seen Horton's defense use before? I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of what he does with his multi-front scheme. Just looking for a glimpse at what to expect.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I really think we need to take BPA at 6 and then try and fill the rest of the holes. This team sorely lacks top tier talent.

That's assuming we can GET "top tier talent" at 6...

There isn't a guy in this draft (besides maybe some of the LT's who we obviously won't be taking) that doesn't have questions...

If you can trade back a couple spots and pick up a 2nd/3rd, and still possibly get the guy you want? Why wouldn't you?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
If you can't get a top tier player with the 6th pick in any draft, you shouldn't be a GM. That's where you prove you have player/talent evaluation skills and are worth your wages. Let's see if Lombardi can shut up his critics.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I think we're using "top tier" differently...

Every draft has guys that are better then others obviously...

But when compared to other drafts, some are weaker at other areas and stronger at some...

This one (IMO) just looks weak across the board...

I was saying that while we could get the 6th best guy in the draft, he nessesarily isn't "top tier" compared to other years...

I'd trade the #6 to SF for the 32, 34 and their 1st next year (plus whatever is needed to make it even) in a heartbeat, because I think it'd help us more this year, and definitely in next years class...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would say if Milliner is there he will be a Brown, if not and Jones is there I believe we will take him, but with what we have done in FA I believe Jones is the ONLY OLB we pick there, Geno Smith is a real possibility @ 6 also, and if we pick him I would be ok with that ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Geno Smith is a real possibility @ 6 also, and if we pick him I would be ok with that ... JMHO

wow

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Geno Smith is a real possibility @ 6 also, and if we pick him I would be ok with that ... JMHO

wow

Ok next time put my whole post on here ... I did not say I endorsed drafting him, I said "IF WE DID" I would be ok with it ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
I only put in the crazy part. The LAST thing we need to do in this draft is take a 2nd round talent at #6, especially since we took a QB in the 1st round last year. That would be a monumental step backwards...IMO

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I only put in the crazy part. The LAST thing we need to do in this draft is take a 2nd round talent at #6, especially since we took a QB in the 1st round last year. That would be a monumental step backwards...IMO

when did Geno become 2nd round talent?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013bigboard.php This is the first sight I went to, and he's listed at #41.

His overall talent has him in the 2nd round. NEED has him going much higher obviously

E
Legend
Legend
E
no special insight guard dawg.
1. although I have heard 2-5 in the varied possible formations??? (I think)

2. Honestly I don't think anyone has 5 LBs with those pass rush skills to put on the field at one time. So it would be a unique NFL situation.

3. More so my anticipation of what "ATTACK" would be and how our Coaches would utilize the Personnel we acquire...just thinking DQ or Gocong both blitz well. Leave one of them in I'm thinking DQ cause his coverage is better of the 2. Then bring in Groves n Sheard along with Ansah n Kruger who are there already and just have them bouncing around n any varied blitz package w/guys dropping back all just go all out once in a blue moon n just make it impossible for the QB to throw. Obviously you would want to bring in another CB for the Nickel but this could be another look we can do considering nobody possess 5 pass rushing LBs like that...if a 3rd CB then DQ comes out. We would have 4 pass rushing LBs just my vision n something I would do hoping the coaches also would do as well!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Still a good chance. We have a need for a LB to be able to be a good cover LB and be a little more versatile. IE, Kruger and Sheard are going to be rushing the bulk load of time they are on the field. We can never have enough stud LB'ers, so I def won't be shocked if we end up snagging one up via the draft.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
If Dee Milner is there at # 6 we select him,

Do we reach at # 6 and take a Rhodes, Trufant or Banks ?

Do we trade down to select one of the 3 later in the first ?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think we all want to know what Horton has planned for the defense. Your suggestion of a situational 2-5 was definitlely intriguing. With much of the significant innovation in football centered on the read-option I was just curious to get a better idea of what defensive creativity might be in store for Cleveland. I'm excited to see what the defense looks like this season.

With what's happened in FA up to now, if you put Jones or Ansah on this defense they could become dominant.

Legend
Legend
I think that it's going to be really fun watching this defense develop over the course of the coming year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And if we can keep the same defensive scheme the D will get better every year. I hope we can keep Horton for a few years.

Legend
Legend
Even if we can only keep him for a couple of years, then the system will be set into place, and we'll have coaches who can step up into the coordinator role, and we won't skip a beat.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Even if we can only keep him for a couple of years, then the system will be set into place, and we'll have coaches who can step up into the coordinator role, and we won't skip a beat.

That sure is the plan I hope...

+ 1

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

And if we can keep the same defensive scheme the D will get better every year. I hope we can keep Horton for a few years.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Will we Draft LB at #6? I say No.

Link Copied to Clipboard