Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
I

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...leveland-browns

If the Browns can manage to snag Brent Grimes, I will give my hats off to the new Owner and FO. Grimes Is a very talented Cornerback and Is a top 10 talent. He Is a very respected player In the NFL and Is a threat to any QB that Is throwing the Football.

If we can manage to lock this guy up In a contract, we will have a top 5 Defense for sure. It will also open up more options for us In the draft (Trading down, looking at different positions, etc) so hopefully, Grimes will come to Cleveland.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Lots of people are questioning whether he is in a state of being able to pass a physical coming off his tendon tear.

He's been a solid CB the past two or so seasons though. Why Atlanta isn't pushing hard to retain him makes me question somethings...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Just a heads-up in case your thread is deleted--------this is being discussed in the Free Agency thread.

R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Free agent CB Brent Grimes is expected to begin "narrowing his choices" in the coming days.
Grimes visited the Browns over the weekend, and reportedly came away "impressed." He must not have been overly impressed with their offer, however, otherwise he'd already be signed. Grimes has also visited the Dolphins, and drew early interest from the Rams and Bucs. It's still possible, perhaps even likely, he re-signs with the Falcons.

Via Rotoworld

would like to have him if the price is right especially since he is coming off the achilies injury

Last edited by Rabid Dawgs; 03/17/13 07:49 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I would really enjoy Grimes coming here for a couple of years. We all know the Browns need to get another CB in here pronto and he's been very successful in the past. I do applaud Banner, as I assume, he's being cautious with Grimes. His injury is concerning. And the more days go by Grimes isn't signed his price could be going down.

However, I think Grimes is just checking out the market. Atlanta is on the verge of making another Super Bowl run and he's interviewed with Miami and Cleveland? Personally, I think he's getting a temperature check on his value and will report back to ATL. If they won't pay it, then he'll walk. But that may be a long shot.

Here's to the long shot!

Tackles are tackles.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Does anyone besides me think that if we landed Grimes that our entire draft and FA period would be looked at in a new light? FA would be a mad success IMHO. The draft could then be purely BPA which probably means also a very high success rate. I would be very excited if we managed to sign Grimes.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
I don't know about a mad success....but I would view it as "very good". Who knows how that translates to wins and losses, but it should make the draft easier (as you mentioned).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Does anyone besides me think that if we landed Grimes that our entire draft and FA period would be looked at in a new light? FA would be a mad success IMHO. The draft could then be purely BPA which probably means also a very high success rate. I would be very excited if we managed to sign Grimes.

Yes i am with you brother, and that would open up the 6th pick for the BPA or a trade down ... JMO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
PFT says Browns or Dolphins is a likely landing spot. He and Goldson were at the top of my FA wishlist this offseason, would love to have him.

To answer your question though - there will be people that love our offseason, people that are haters, and those in between. I like what we've done (though I know we're not done, we still have money we have to spend) so far. A few long term extensions and Grimes would make it highly successful in my mind.

Per the draft, we sure could go any route if we signed him. Though, I'd say Millner would be highly unlikely at that point.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Per the draft, we sure could go any route if we signed him. Though, I'd say Millner would be highly unlikely at that point.

See, I wouldn't count Millner with a Grimes signing. If he's the BPA, you take him. And even then, with the pass-happy league the way it is, we need all the talented, warm bodies we can find.

Haden
Millner
Grimes in the slot

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

See, I wouldn't count Millner with a Grimes signing. If he's the BPA, you take him. And even then, with the pass-happy league the way it is, we need all the talented, warm bodies we can find.

Haden
Millner
Grimes in the slot

WOW ... and with our improved pass rush, with those 3 ... WOW

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
N
Legend
Legend
N
with Grimes, "if he can come back healthy" needs to be included.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I wouldn't count it out, I'm just saying I believe it would be highly unlikely.

Assuming that Grimes signs for about the same as Joe makes, we'd have 14-16m tied up in the two, plus 4-5 for Millner (Claiborne signed 4 year 16.25m contract last year at #6). That'd be 18-21m in CBs, and we'll have to re-up Joe soon (he's signed through 2014 season). That'd be 15-17% of the cap this season for the 3. While I'd love to see the three of them in the defensive backfield, I don't think that'd happen.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
In all reality though it's also 15% of the cap when we have no franchise QB. If it's a 2 year deal as reported then he would be gone before Joe starts racking up cap room. It really wouldn't hurt us. A Grimes signing can not take Milliner out of the picture. Most teams have 3 good WR's. We'd have 3 GREAT CB's. More time for the young ones to mature. Plus I'll be honest. I'd love to see Skrine as a FS! He may be undersized but he has a ball hawker mentality with an ability to hit more so than a man up cover corner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
one of my friends sent me this...

The Falcons are still interested in bringing Grimes back, and so are NFC South rivals Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but the two teams aren’t willing to give him anything long-term, unlike the Browns, in the lead in the race for his services, and the Miami Dolphins, both prepping to make an offer with a few years on the contract instead of limiting it to just one year.

Grimes visited the Dolphins before the went to Cleveland to give the Browns a visit. According to sources, the AFC North bottom feeder has the upper hand at the moment when it comes to the better offer, but the Dolphins are still in the mix, willing to raise their suggestion to Grimes, who is halting the signing with Cleveland just for that reason.

http://sportige.com/nfl-rumors-cleveland-browns-miami-dolphins-interested-in-brent-grimes-03-2013/

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

one of my friends sent me this...

The Falcons are still interested in bringing Grimes back, and so are NFC South rivals Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but the two teams aren’t willing to give him anything long-term, unlike the Browns, in the lead in the race for his services, and the Miami Dolphins, both prepping to make an offer with a few years on the contract instead of limiting it to just one year.

Grimes visited the Dolphins before the went to Cleveland to give the Browns a visit. According to sources, the AFC North bottom feeder has the upper hand at the moment when it comes to the better offer, but the Dolphins are still in the mix, willing to raise their suggestion to Grimes, who is halting the signing with Cleveland just for that reason.

http://sportige.com/nfl-rumors-cleveland-browns-miami-dolphins-interested-in-brent-grimes-03-2013/

Good post, so we are in the "lead".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Would love to see us sign Brent Grimes, he is starting cornerback material assuming his injury from last year is all healed up and doesn't slow him down. Let Skrine and Barnes both battle it out for the nickle spot, or draft someone later in the draft (Tyrann Mathieu? Spelling? the CB formerly of LSU).

If we sign Grimes than I don't want to select Milliner at #6 (I doubt he is even still on the board at the point) I would rather take another young stud pass rusher, either Ziggy Ansah from BYU or Dion Jordan the OLB from Oregon.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Would love to see us sign Brent Grimes, he is starting cornerback material assuming his injury from last year is all healed up and doesn't slow him down. Let Skrine and Barnes both battle it out for the nickle spot, or draft someone later in the draft (Tyrann Mathieu? Spelling? the CB formerly of LSU).

If we sign Grimes than I don't want to select Milliner at #6 (I doubt he is even still on the board at the point) I would rather take another young stud pass rusher, either Ziggy Ansah from BYU or Dion Jordan the OLB from Oregon.

No doubt... obviously if they sign him, then it's going to be multi-year and it's going to be b/c he's healthy and passes a physically (I know, duh right?) - but that would allow us to not even consider drafting a CB in ANY rounds, early to late, in the draft.

Me personally am still crossing my fingers for Grimes. If he's healthy, I want him...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm surprised that Tampa hasn't been that hot on him considering that they need 3 CB's and 4 if Barber retires.

I am almost baffled as to why they cooled off.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I'm surprised that Tampa hasn't been that hot on him considering that they need 3 CB's and 4 if Barber retires.

The recent reports indicate b/c they hopped back on "Revis Island" and want him... fine by me, it increases our chances to get the better corner outta the deal. Who knows how Revis will come back after his injury.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

The recent reports indicate b/c they hopped back on "Revis Island" and want him... fine by me, it increases our chances to get the better corner outta the deal. Who knows how Revis will come back after his injury.

I thought that was only because they cooled off on Grimes. Esp since the J-E-T-S have to be willing to trade him to them

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

I don't like to quote people a whole lot,but that is just a dumb,dumb statement.
Grimes is a good corner,while Revis is a true shutdown corner.And ahh,that both are coming off an injury.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't like to quote people a whole lot,but that is just a dumb,dumb statement.
Grimes is a good corner,while Revis is a true shutdown corner.And ahh,that both are coming off an injury.

That's a pretty stupid statement on your behalf. Gee a player coming off a torn ACL, or a player coming of achillies injury? Who has less risk?

Both of them fully 100% healthy, yeah I'd agree Revis likely the better shutdown corner, but you need to absorb the facts that are present.

D
Legend
Legend
D
J/C

Does anyone know the extent of Grimes' Achilles tear? Because if it was severe, thats a really bad injury, folks. There's no guarantee he can even play any more - remember Jamir Miller? Along the same lines, what about Milliner's shoulder? If its a concern, he could easily slide to us. The question then would be do you use a #6 on him if he had - let's say - a rotator cuff injury? (Another really bad injury for a position expected to offer run support from the edge.)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Could also be that Grimes backed off because TB is in the same division as Atlanta...or TB got tired of him playing the waiting game, hoping that some GM flinches and adds another million to the pile.

To me this looks like he either wants to remain a Falcon but has a lesser deal from them or he wants more money period...combined with his questionable health, I'm starting not to like it, but it would all depend on the contract of course

The backup guys who can't be trusted to line up outside is the biggest problem depth wise...with Grimes health and Haden missing a game here and there it's a big risk. That's why I would not be opposed to take Milliner after signing Grimes or better a 3rd/4th round guy who starts out in the slot but has upside as an outside CB (Slay, Alford, Gratz, Webb, McFadden, Mathieu?)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe we went out and signed a bunch of backups because they know we will get Grimes and we will need many insurance policies against him?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm all about caution w major injuries but am clueless when it comes to contracts. How much can a team really protect itself w clauses & such...?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
You know I figured you'd say that.
I have no clue,and unless your a famous doctor,neither do you.
An honest person would have come back with "yeah I said something stupid I'm not a DR.and really have no idea of the severity of either injury,or which would be the most career threatening for an NFL CB"

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
please make this happen

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Maybe we went out and signed a bunch of backups because they know we will get Grimes and we will need many insurance policies against him?

Then it would be a bad plan considering the guys they signed...that's my point and concern regarding the CB position. We now have a handful of nickel CBs on our roster for 3 spots, but all of them have already failed as outside options or do you want to see Skrine on the outside again? I don't...same with Owens, who was actually even demoted from his nickel job...Barnes wasn't even active....the only "hope" left is Wade...and that's only because we haven't seen him yet

It's why I was hoping for Munnerlyn as he is a perfect no2/3 mix. Good slot, but viable spot starting no2 CB on the outside. It's a shame we weren't interested, since he only got 1.1mil, that's less than we gave to Barnidge...but I will give Chud the benefit of the doubt as he knew both better than anyone.

If we sign Grimes or some other stop gap vet like S.Brown, I'd still pursue a CB with starter upside

Thinking of it, I think the depth of CBs in this draft contributed to teams low balling the FAs

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we sign Grimes and Milliner is still there @6, do we pull the trigger and draft a CB??

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C
If we sign Grimes we are setting ourselves up for one of two things:

1. Trade Down
2. Take the best player available

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If we sign Grimes and Milliner is still there @6, do we pull the trigger and draft a CB??

if he is the BPA... yes

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

In all reality though it's also 15% of the cap when we have no franchise QB. If it's a 2 year deal as reported then he would be gone before Joe starts racking up cap room. It really wouldn't hurt us. A Grimes signing can not take Milliner out of the picture. Most teams have 3 good WR's. We'd have 3 GREAT CB's. More time for the young ones to mature. Plus I'll be honest. I'd love to see Skrine as a FS! He may be undersized but he has a ball hawker mentality with an ability to hit more so than a man up cover corner.

Again, I didn't say he'd be out of the picture, just that I believe the chances are unlikely Millner is chosen.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I dont see us getting grimes. Miami has more talent then us and a young qb who may end up being very special. Not only that of course you have to factor in the weather......

G
gsa Offline
Rookie
Rookie
G
I don't think the draft depth had anything to do with lowballing the free agent corners (or else they would be lowballing the passrushers to the same degree). I think it's because corners aren't allowed to play defense anymore, so they are becoming less relevant. They are still important, and it should still be our highest priority due to it being our most glaring weakness. However, corners just don't matter as much anymore because of the bias that refs now have toward the offensive passing game.

Legend
Legend
Great post with good news, SBDogg! I would love this if he is healthy. But we could help ourselves a bunch here if he is and Horton brings it up a notch with the front on D. Fingers crossed. . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

I dont see us getting grimes. Miami has more talent then us and a young qb who may end up being very special. Not only that of course you have to factor in the weather......

The Browns have a nice quarterback who may end up being very special. There is no finer place to play football than Cleveland. The Browns have a better chance than the Dolphins to win the Super Bowl if only because they're in the same division as Pitts, and Balt, who have won recently.
He can go to Miami when he's 65 like all the other millionaires.

This whole situation reminds me of a couple years in the past, One where they signed LeCharles Bentley, and also a time when they signed Joe Andruzzi and Cozy Coleman. ( Chud was in Cleveland then?)

I hear alot of comments similar to , " if we sign BOTH these guys, we'll be so super duper our team will be unstoppable!" ( paraphrase)

Well, it's the NFL. NOT so fast my friend.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Miami has more talent then us and a young qb who may end up being very special.

Tannehill? Are you serious? Tannehill and Weeden are interchangable. If Tannehill was here, he would be getting lambasted just like Weeden. He was absolutely no better than Brandon. As for the rest of their team, I don't see that much more talent if any at all.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Ryan Tannehill - 24 years old
Brandon Weeden - 29 years old

Tannehill was as good as Weeden with less talent around him.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns interview CB Brent Grimes.

Link Copied to Clipboard