Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

In the NFL. Until you find a QB, you're rebuilding.

And sometimes, that alone won't give you the definition of success outlined above. Sometimes it does but sometimes it doesn't.

Indy doesn't have a lot of talent, he'll we might have a better defense then them...

Their "rebuild" was basically nonexistent, one bad year, then they found a QB, and it was over...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I don't think there is a specific number.

The Broncos have signed 4 free agents so far, and have a full draft to go. The Patriots signed 5, and both teams have a full draft class yet to add. How many player changes does it take before this Super Bowl contender is considered a rebuild?

Many NFL teams turn 3/4 of their rosters over every 3-4 years. They lose some free agents. They may sign others. The perennial playoff contenders manage to keep a select group of players who are the backbone of their teams. We don't have that yet.

There is a very small difference between winning and losing in the NFL. Teams who have those difference makers beat those without. Right now we have some very solid players, but really no one that other teams have to lie awake nights trying to game plan for. We need to add some of those type of players to the equation, (one which might be a QB) and that will put us into contender status.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Like I said, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Andrew Lucks don't come around very often.

And if you think for one minute that Indy didn't sand bag by sticking with Painter in 2011 to land Andrew Luck in the 2012 draft, then we totally disagree.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you won't entertain that it will be a re-build but refuse to define what a re-build would be in terms of turnovers.

How convenient!

Okay let's try again. If it takes them until their third year here to reach that 10 win season, would you call that a "three year plan"? Which would in essence be a re-build.

I'm sorry but I find this a little funny.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Heckert paid a 37 year old kicker $3.8 million last year. I was on the other board, didn't hear any criticism or a peep about younger kickers then. Folks were very supportive, many wishing to lock him even longer (this year).

Now, after his best season and a 40% discount, you guys don't see why some of us would have preferred Banner to make every attempt to keep him another year or two.

If you like this move, you must have been critical of Heckert last year. Campaigning for the young kicker of the future, Right? Let me guess, you guys supported it both ways...

I do understand why you would want to keep Dawson, I did as well. Hated seeing him go. I guess you didn't get that part of my comment.

But I'll try this again, he's 38 and no doubt nearing the end of his career. We are 2 to 3 years out I think and I believe the Browns FO feels the same way.

He'll be somewhere around 40 or 41 by that time. Now two schools of thought, pay him to keep him, or let him try to get a ring. Meanwhile, Back on the Browns Ranch, we try to find his replacement. we've got a couple of years to get it right.

My hope is, the Kicking game won't be our only offense in the years to come. If it is, we're really in trouble with or without dawson.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Cal Dawg...from everything that I have learned from Unnamed Sources he wanted to be here Long term n consistently with him retiring at 41 with his career ending here. With each year his Long Term request going from 5-4-3 years. That is why I blame Heckert for the 5 n 4 year contracts n Banner/Lombardi for the 3 year contract.

As for his selling of the house n moving to Texas...HIS HOME n FAMILY There.

Was because his child was starting SCHOOL n he wanted him in the same school system. You know being a DAD...also with his 5-4-3 year plan being consistent on his retirement. That would mean he would UPROOT his son after 4th grade. So he just didn't wish that. So they sold the house here n established themselves in a Texas community. I think that is more indicative that he was not Saying Good bye to us as it was he was just being a GOOD PARENT.

So as I said...I blame Heckert for 2011 n 2012...and now Banner/Lombardi for this decision...I think Both were WRONG...hopefully we got a good plan to counter the loss.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
To me a rebuild is what we did in 2009 ...... when almost the entire team was either replaced, or on the way to being replaced.

That's a rebuild to me.

In 2008, our leading receivers were guys like Lamal Lewis, Jerome Harrison., Jason Wright, Donte Stallworth, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Steve Heiden, Syndric Steptoe, Dinkins, Sanders, Ali, and Rucker.

Our QBs were Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson.

How many of those guys were still here in 2010?

Lewis? No.
Harrrison? No
Wright? No
Stallworth? No
Edwards? No
Winslow? No
Heiden? No
Steptoe? No
Dinkins? No
Sanders? No
Ali? No
Rucker? No
Anderson? No
Quinn? No

In 2008, our staring OL was Thomas, Steinbach, Fraley, Hadnot, and Shaffer. In 2010, only Thomas and Steinbach remained.

That is a complete turnover on offense, with the exception of 2 OL. That is a rebuild.

On defense it was very much the same ... but I'm not going to go through all of that. Needless to say, Mangini bringing in DL and LB that he was familiar with meant that others from the past went by the wayside. Orpheus Roye might have been one of only a couple of survivors I can remember off the top if my head.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Cal Dawg...from everything that I have learned from Unnamed Sources he wanted to be here Long term n consistently with him retiring at 41 with his career ending here.

My unnamed sources are telling me he wanted to go, beginning three years ago. We may never know the truth. I don't know that blame is the right word here... I'm beginning to believe there was no way to work it out, that it was a done deal in Dawson's mind when he decided to move. It's obvious the FO had no problem paying him well, as evidenced by the fact we payed him franchise player money, so money wasn't the issue, was it?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Cal Dawg...from everything that I have learned from Unnamed Sources he wanted to be here Long term n consistently with him retiring at 41 with his career ending here.

My unnamed sources are telling me he wanted to go, beginning three years ago. We may never know the truth. I don't know that blame is the right word here... I'm beginning to believe there was no way to work it out, that it was a done deal in Dawson's mind when he decided to move. It's obvious the FO had no problem paying him well, as evidenced by the fact we payed him franchise player money, so money wasn't the issue, was it?

You guys do know why your "Sources" are unnamed don't you? THEY DON'T EXIST! They are the imagination of reporters!

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah but I think One of us actually has an Unamed source...lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You guys do know why your "Sources" are unnamed don't you? THEY DON'T EXIST! They are the imagination of reporters!

February 22, 2011

Dawson, who couldn't be reached for comment, has made an apparent statement about his contract each of the past two years by skipping some of the voluntary organized team activities. He's never gone public about being underpaid, but it's been clear he hasn't been happy.

After the 41-9 loss to Pittsburgh in the season finale, Dawson sounded resigned to being gone, but admitted that he wouldn't rule anything out, "even returning to the Browns."

He added, "For me, it's really going to be what's best for my family. I've earned the right to have that choice [of where to play] and I'm going to take advantage of it. I'll seek my wife's input. We'll get together, my boys are even getting old enough I'll see what they have to say about it. Whenever that time comes, we'll make the best decision for us."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/02/cleveland_browns_franchise_kic.html

March 02, 2012

The Browns franchised Dawson for the second straight season, which will be his 14th in a Browns uniform. He will make about $3.8 million, which represents the requisite 20 percent raise for a second straight tag. Last season, he made $3.125 million.

The Browns can continue to work on a long-term deal with Dawson, 37.

But for now, they're happy to have wrapped up Mr. Automatic, who's coming off what he considered to be the best season of his career.

"I certainly gave my heart and soul to this team this year," Dawson said after the season. "I feel pretty good about how I kicked the ball. I really missed one kick all year. I feel pretty good about that. I'll let it all sink in and make that decision when the time comes."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/03/breaking_cleveland_browns_fran.html

Later, after the 49ers made the official announcement, Dawson explained on a conference call his reasons for signing. He'll be reunited with his former Browns special teams coach Brad Seeley.

"It's hard to pick just one and that's why this is such an attractive place," Dawson said. "Obviously, one of the storied organizations in the history of the NFL. A team that is on the verge of winning it all right now, with a great head coach, a great front office, special teams coach I'm familiar with, a great part of the world to live in. What is there not to like?

"When you start mixing that together, even for an idiot like me, it's a pretty easy decision."

-------

Dawson seemed resigned to leaving as players cleaned out their lockers on New Year's Eve. The kicker pulled aside a reporter and showed him what he scrawled in an adjoining cabinet where he kept his cleats: "Phil was here 1999-2012."

"Prison style," Dawson told AP reporter Tom Withers.

-------

"I'm probably going to be involved with football even after my playing days are over," he said. "The opportunity to sit under a guy once again and learn more football from him. ... I think that'll help with the transition. I'm really looking forward to working with him again."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/03/former_cleveland_browns_kicker.html

sure sounds to me like he wanted out of Cleveland.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

February 22, 2011

Dawson, who couldn't be reached for comment, has made an apparent statement about his contract each of the past two years by skipping some of the voluntary organized team activities. He's never gone public about being underpaid, but it's been clear he hasn't been happy.

After the 41-9 loss to Pittsburgh in the season finale, Dawson sounded resigned to being gone, but admitted that he wouldn't rule anything out, "even returning to the Browns."

He added, "For me, it's really going to be what's best for my family. I've earned the right to have that choice [of where to play] and I'm going to take advantage of it. I'll seek my wife's input. We'll get together, my boys are even getting old enough I'll see what they have to say about it. Whenever that time comes, we'll make the best decision for us."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/02/cleveland_browns_franchise_kic.html

March 02, 2012

The Browns franchised Dawson for the second straight season, which will be his 14th in a Browns uniform. He will make about $3.8 million, which represents the requisite 20 percent raise for a second straight tag. Last season, he made $3.125 million.

But for now, they're happy to have wrapped up Mr. Automatic, who's coming off what he considered to be the best season of his career.

"I certainly gave my heart and soul to this team this year," Dawson said after the season. "I feel pretty good about how I kicked the ball. I really missed one kick all year. I feel pretty good about that. I'll let it all sink in and make that decision when the time comes."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/03/breaking_cleveland_browns_fran.html

Later, after the 49ers made the official announcement, Dawson explained on a conference call his reasons for signing. He'll be reunited with his former Browns special teams coach Brad Seeley.

"It's hard to pick just one and that's why this is such an attractive place," Dawson said. "Obviously, one of the storied organizations in the history of the NFL. A team that is on the verge of winning it all right now, with a great head coach, a great front office, special teams coach I'm familiar with, a great part of the world to live in. What is there not to like?

"When you start mixing that together, even for an idiot like me, it's a pretty easy decision."

-------

Dawson seemed resigned to leaving as players cleaned out their lockers on New Year's Eve. The kicker pulled aside a reporter and showed him what he scrawled in an adjoining cabinet where he kept his cleats: "Phil was here 1999-2012."

-------

"I'm probably going to be involved with football even after my playing days are over," he said. "The opportunity to sit under a guy once again and learn more football from him. ... I think that'll help with the transition. I'm really looking forward to working with him again."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/03/former_cleveland_browns_kicker.html

Where in there did he say he wanted out? Where in there did he say he wouldn't sign here?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Man Daman, I read the same thing he did. It was Dawson in his own way letting it known he was leaving. I can't see how you miss that. Specific words were not usede, but man the gist is there.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

February 22, 2011

March 02, 2012

-------

-------

Where in there did he say he wanted out? Where in there did he say he wouldn't sign here?

I've earned the right to have that choice [of where to play] and I'm going to take advantage of it.

I'll let it all sink in and make that decision when the time comes."

Dawson said. "Obviously, one of the storied organizations in the history of the NFL. A team that is on the verge of winning it all right now, with a great head coach, a great front office, special teams coach I'm familiar with, a great part of the world to live in. What is there not to like?

phil is a class act. he is not going to come right out and say he wants out. but I think its pretty obvious. there were more where he was talking about retire and one where he sold his house because the browns did not even talk to him before franchise him the first time.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Man Daman, I read the same thing he did. It was Dawson in his own way letting it known he was leaving. I can't see how you miss that. Specific words were not usede, but man the gist is there.

Great,, Show me where he said he wanted out, show me where he said he wouldn't resign with us.

I mean, the poster even states that "it sure sounds like he wanted out" which tells me he isn't sure either,,

But, I've been wrong more than once.. Feel free to point it out where he said either of those things..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
He never said it.

Which allows both sides of the argument to twist whatever was said their way..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

+1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Great,, Show me where he said he wanted out, show me where he said he wouldn't resign with us.

I mean, the poster even states that "it sure sounds like he wanted out" which tells me he isn't sure either,,

But, I've been wrong more than once.. Feel free to point it out where he said either of those things..

sorry. I don't have a memo. just alittle common sense.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Coming From A Guy That's Never Found the Shift Button.....

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure he wanted out. It would be foolish (and possibly even dangerous ) to come right out and say you didn't want to play for the Browns anymore. He didn't and it eventually worked out for him. He left this town with everybody loving him....the way it should be.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Coming From A Guy That's Never Found the Shift Button.....

shift button? got me? new fangled things anyway.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm pretty sure he wanted out. It would be foolish (and possibly even dangerous ) to come right out and say you didn't want to play for the Browns anymore. He didn't and it eventually worked out for him. He left this town with everybody loving him....the way it should be.

I don't think of it as him not wanting to play here.

He wanted a long term deal years ago, and wanted the chance to kick a FG that matters in a game that matters...

We never gave him those.

He may never be in the Hall, but he'll definitely have a place in the Ring some day.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Speculation plain and simple ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's what "pretty sure" means.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry to see him go, but it seems it was time. Phil is the best foul weather kicker in the league. It's rare to see a kicker play the wind like he does. He might be a huge benefit to the 49ers if they return to the SB this year, seeing as it will be in NJ.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's what "pretty sure" means.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Jfan, you and I don't agree on much, but on this, I think we can. NO, he never said he wanted out and NO he never said he wouldn't sign with us.

BUT, I actually believe he did want out.. But I can't prove it. BECAUSE HE DIDN'T SAY IT.

So I'm not going to say,, HE WANTED OUT.. I'm going to say, I think he may have wanted out.. see the difference. And I'm certainly not going to base an argument on what I think but can't prove..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I've earned the right to have that choice [of where to play] and I'm going to take advantage of it.

before he was franchise the first time. like I said. class act and would never come out and say it butt......

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

IMO, if we wouldn't have franchised him a few years back, he would have been gone then. He wanted the long term deal, and they wouldn't give it to him. I believe he wanted out then and has since.

I just think that if you say he wanted out, automatically people think you mean he hated playing here. He is a player, and most want to win, I doubt Phil is any different. Wanting out had nothing to due with the city or even the team to some degree, just winning before he retires....that's all.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

J/C

IMO, if we wouldn't have franchised him a few years back, he would have been gone then. He wanted the long term deal, and they wouldn't give it to him. I believe he wanted out then and has since.

I just think that if you say he wanted out, automatically people think you mean he hated playing here. He is a player, and most want to win, I doubt Phil is any different. Wanting out had nothing to due with the city or even the team to some degree, just winning before he retires....that's all.

now there you go. that's what I think.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think of it as him not wanting to play here.

He wanted a long term deal years ago, and wanted the chance to kick a FG that matters in a game that matters...

We never gave him those.

Summed it up well.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I do seem to recall that Dawson was very unhappy with his contract the year or 2 before he was franchised. It seems to that there was discussion about the Browns giving him a bonus or something to make up for the relatively lower value of his deal. I do not recall whether or not they ever did so though.

I do know that Dawson was insulted that he wasn't one of the highest paid kickers. You can tell by the statements he made at the time. He wanted a raise, and he wanted it without an extension at the time. He then hit free agency, and the Browns franchised him. Then they did it again. I'm sure that he was probably upset .... but a kicker making over $3 million can't be too upset in my opinion.

Anyway, it is obvious at this point that this was a divorce that neither side really had any objections to. Hopefully it will work out well for each party.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Anyway, it is obvious at this point that this was a divorce that neither side really had any objections to. Hopefully it will work out well for each party.

yep

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Yup.

Also, I need to make a auto key for this next statement.

HE'S A KICKER. HE'S A KICKER. HE'S A KICKER.

Best of luck to Phil in SF, no hard feelings for either party, and HE'S A KICKER, QUIT FREAKING OUT OVER A KICKER.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Rookie
Rookie
everyone knows the colts tank the season to Suck for Luck.

Here we go again
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Yup.

Also, I need to make a auto key for this next statement.

HE'S A KICKER. HE'S A KICKER. HE'S A KICKER.

Best of luck to Phil in SF, no hard feelings for either party, and HE'S A KICKER, QUIT FREAKING OUT OVER A KICKER.

Yeah he's a kicker. Kickers score points. Lots of points. Why do you think the Niners signed him? They had some serious scares last season, especially in the playoffs, with their former kicker.....

Now, I don't think the world is coming to an end because Dawson signed elsewhere. I am glad he will get a chance to know what winning is like before he retires. Perhaps he'll even earn a ring. But make no mistake, we WILL miss him. It will take a while to find a replacement that can kick in Cleveland.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'd assume it's not easy to sell your self for 3 years at the age of 38.

Dawson didn't have any problem selling himself to the team that almost won the Super Bowl, did he?

BTW, Dawson let his kicking do the talking for him, having his best year ever.

Dawson got a 1 year deal, not a 3 year deal. Next.

All the more reason criticize Banner for not even offering Dawson a contract...obviously Dawson was not holding out for a 3 year contract and could have signed for another year at the right price.

Keep in mind, Banner didn't even try to sign Dawson...didn't even value him enough to offer a contract. Banner is operating just as he did in Philly...if a player is 30 yrs old, Banner is not going to sign them. I call it the "Banner, 30 and out rule".

In Philly, it took some time for the players to figure out what was happening as Reid was thought to be the guy with final say on signing players. Many did not understand that Banner was offering low ball contracts to Eagles players who were 30 or older and about to become free agents if not resigned.

This was Banner's way of shaping the teams roster and subverting Reid's power. It all came to a head in Jan 2012 when Andy Reid gave the owner, Jeff Lurie, an ultimatum that either Banner goes or Reid was leaving.

Now the Browns have a Banner on steroids as our clueless owner has given Banner full power to continue his senseless bean counter methods. It didn't work in Philly and won't work in Cleveland...our truck stop owner hasn't figure that out yet.

Banner is nothing more than a bean counter running a football franchise...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
You all can think what ever you want. Its a free thinking country...so far...lol

I trust the info I got as credible. I understand you can take some quotes out of some articles n put your spin on it. To propose that as proof - quotes in the middle of a Contract Negotiation/Battle? The explanation on why he chose the 49ers...not over the Browns over the rest of the NFL who made offers. I would find it interesting if he stated OVER THE BROWNS Offer...cause what I got we would make the 3 year offer he wanted to stay here. So if it was to sign ONE YEAR...he gave the reasons.

As for the Prison statement it was a reference to the momento of the Kilroy was here with a long date involved. The truth of the matter with all the changes 99-2012 he was stuck in Insanity. But we all know those who play the game...get a love for the comradery There was a new group n not many are leaving.

This also shows what a great staff Mangini had brought here. Seely was the best coach he had...and I guess has aspirations of Coaching Special Teams.

Like any 13year relationship...I'm sure there were a lot of LOVE HATE involved - As fans of the Browns we can understand the depression of Losing. But during the season I'm sure brought a lot of the what to love out.

Got to love the Dead Zone...lol a lot of work to pull out some excerpts to prove something that cannot be proven

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
eo...I have no idea who your sources are and I will admit, I have to rely on what is written and not the opinion of someone claiming to be in the know.

Bottomed line, did the Browns try to keep Dawson, offering him a contract...1yr, 2yrs 3yrs..length of contract doesn't matter.

Did Banner try to keep Dawson in Cleveland?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Phil Dawson to 49ers

Link Copied to Clipboard