Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#767164 03/22/13 06:20 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
It's this time of the year again....as some of you might know I will participate again as the Browns-mock-GM in a month long mock-draft with 31 other GMs or FOs, mostly diehards of their teams like me...this is NOT a dawgtalkers-mock, it's on another board and it will run from tonight up until right before the draft, going through all 7 rounds. I've participated in this fun contest picking for the Browns since 2005 or 06 I think. If anyone wants me to post my mocks (or entire mocks) of past year's, I will, but this thread is about this upcoming 2013 draft

I run this thread on here as sort of a draft room to collect as many respected opinions on prospects, trades/offers and ultimately picks...so I'm looking for "scouts" and I know that many on here know their stuff, so I'd appreciate any input, criticism etc.

The Browns pick will be on the clock sometime tomorrow evening or sunday morning. I will most probably try to trade down some if I get a good offer, but this draft is very unpredictable in the top 10 and usually it's harder to trade down in this mock than in the real draft, so I'll have to see who goes off the board in the top 5 first and I might be forced to pick at 6

That said, I'd like to hear your opinions, plans and top 10 lists

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe your only hope for a trade-down scenario is if one of the following two or three players are still on the board at #6: Joekel-Fisher-Smith. I don't expect that any other player offers sufficient potential for a trade-up. If we have not addressed our CB situation by the draft, then Milliner must be the (obvious) choice. ( I know, your favorite subject!).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I actually think I have a better shot at a trade down if both Fisher and Joeckel are gone, because there are several OT needy teams right behind my pick looking to land Johnson...Cards at 7, Chargers at 11 and Phins at 12. Dolphins certainly have the ammo to move up

My hope is to get the Cards and Dolphins into a bidding and depending on what's left, I'd chose what offer to take. The Dolphins would have to pay a 2nd and some 3rd day pick or both of their 3rd rounders, the Cards would have to pay their 4th for one spot

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

.... if both Fisher and Joeckel are gone

They certainly could be gone by #6. Outside of the Raiders, all teams in front of us need an OLT. You're right, slim pickings except for LJ...

Legend
Legend
I know that you don't like Jarvis Jones, but if either he or Milliner are there, that's the guy I take if I'm in charge.

Jones is a prototypical Steelers OLB, (and thus a Browns OLB, since that's the defense we're going to run) and Milliner would set up the corners nicely. If both are gone, I would try to trade down, I am not as hot on Ansah as you and some others are. He's good in the run game, but I just don't see the elite pass rush ability that I see in Jones. Ansah is more of a long term project, and we need players who can help from day 1. That being said, I do look at Ansah as a guy who might fit inside at OLB in our scheme because he does have solid quickness to go along with great size. I suppose that's something for me to think about regarding the player.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Good thought, I often thought that many tweener OLB/DE would look good at ILB. That said, Ansah is so athletic that he can line up virtually everywhere on the front 7....in some ways his rawness is working for him as he's not yet molded into a specific position. I can't even imagine what a coach like Horton will be able to do with this rough diamond, but I'm sure he likes him as much as I do

Btw, I PMed the 49ers GM if he could imagine a blockbuster deal to move up to 6. Not sure I want to trade back as deep as 31, but gotta start the chatter about that possibility now. One of our rules for this mock is that we can't trade future picks or players on the roster, as this would lead to reckless trading...but the 9ers have so many good picks, that it can be done just with this draft's picks

What would you do if he wants to move up? Rather stay at 6 or have 31+34+61+93 (+ maybe some late rounders too)? I have to say I would be tempted to do it, would give me a lot of flexibility to move around and get the guys I want

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Hmm...

Milliner vs

Poyer + Cyprien + Kelce + Ellington

Woods + J. Taylor + Swearinger + Gragg

Quote:

stay at 6 or have 31+34+61+93

That would be an awfully nice haul, but on par value-wise (when using an exponential decay model) with what we gave up to move from 21 to 27 in 2011. Also similar to the value the Cowboys gave up to go from 14 to 6 last year.

Last edited by clevesteve; 03/22/13 10:19 AM.
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
a cb or guard from bama

E
Legend
Legend
E
Conner Barwin should be our pick...

Seriously:

first choice: Ansah
second choice: Millner

We can be assured that 2 OTs should go ahead of us as well as One DT.

Leaving 2 picks...unfortunately both those picks could be that 1st n 2nd choice...then what?

Star DT/DE for us ? Jordan who I don't like but so many who know football like. Geno Smith...hoping he goes before us dropping our 1st or 2nd

Datone Jones or Richardson as DE - we just signed Bryant would that be over kill? Also who picks 3/4 DE in top 10?

Good luck do us well!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
no OG in the top10. ever. please.stop.it.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Hmm...

Milliner vs

Poyer + Cyprien + Kelce + Ellington

Woods + J. Taylor + Swearinger + Gragg

Quote:

stay at 6 or have 31+34+61+93

It is a risk and it's all about risk/reward. With Milliner on the board I would trade a 80% winning lottery ticket into two 50%, another 40% and a 30% ticket...anyone has the math on this?

Here's an idea though...post your opinions of odds with regards to risk/reward, boom/bust, ceiling/floor...whatever you wanna name it, to your top targets. Here's my try:

Milliner: 80/20...explanation: 80% a good player, 20% not good (that does include AVG and less/bust, I give him a 10% bust/below AVG chance, 10% just AVG)

Ansah: 65/35...of those 35, only 15 bust chance (that will get the discussion going, lol). He has a high floor because of his mix of motor+play against the run+tackling/physicality....I really think his floor is that of Manny Lawson

Moore: 60/40...20 bust chance (that's low for any front 7 player)....he reminds me of Cam Jordan/Kruger...might take 1 or 2 years in the league to get going but considering his age (just 20yo) and a 5 year rook contract, that shouldn't be a big concern

Rhodes: 60/40...25 bust chance...size/speed is there and most of his weaknesses are correctable. Only question is his attitude. Perfect fit for our scheme, better than the other CBs

G Cooper: 85/15...only 5-10 bust chance. He's the real Warmack of this class. Versatile, can play all 3 interior positions. Safest bet there is imho

CB Banks: 65/35...20 bust chance. Really like him. He has upside left and can be moved to FS if his speed becomes a problem down the road

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
I'm glad you picked up what I meant, and not what I typed.

Geesh ... inside at OLB. Obviously, as you picked up, I meant inside at ILB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Me personally, I would target Rhodes. If I can trade down with SD or Miami and still get him woo hoo if not I like him enough to take him at 6 even over Millner.

Would love a 2nd where I could take a FS Reed, Rambo or maybe even the Honey Badger lol.

I do like Landry Jones in the 3rd. Love his skill set for this offense and for the Cleveland Weather.

4th Florida TE Jordan Reed would be a good option, maybe even come back with another corner, may not make it out of the 3rd but he is probably my favorite TE in this class.

A sleeper corner I am really high on is UConn's Blidi Wreh-Wilson I think he could end up the steal of this draft, unless his stock is going up and I havent noticed lol.

Then you still need to draft a kicker, punter FB lol I like taking those positions in the 5th and beyond because of value. The FB from Harvard looked like the real deal at the senior bowl.

The punter from Louisiana Tech has a great leg, he can boom it. Ryan Allen. Most boards has him as like the 3rd or 4th punter and he has been the best in college the last 2 or 3 years. No idea what some of these guys are thinking. BTW I dont follow punters but ESPNU had a bunch of Louisiana tech games the last couple of years and those 65 yarders tend to be remembered.

Kicker blah dont know if there is anyone worth drafting. Anyway with this draft when in doubt take defensive back. Might slip in a guard if someone falls. Would love Paul Warford but he will go to early.

Legend
Legend
Specifically...

Quote:

A sleeper corner I am really high on is UConn's Blidi Wreh-Wilson I think he could end up the steal of this draft, unless his stock is going up and I havent noticed lol.

Mayock has him as the 4th-best corner in the draft. I believe it was McShay who has him going in the first round.

As a whole,

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Last time I checked he was listed as a 6th rounder on CBS. So much for sleeper now lol but yea I liked him better than a ton of guys listed ahead of him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Me personally, I would target Rhodes. If I can trade down with SD or Miami and still get him woo hoo if not I like him enough to take him at 6 even over Millner.

I would agree with this. Though it would take some guts to pick RHodes if Milliner is still on the board. Lombardi would get crucified if he did this.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I was thinking more Everette Brown.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
First picks are in, here they are:

1st round:

#1 Chiefs – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
#2 Jags – Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
#3 Raiders – Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

49ers are not interested in trading up to no6, they're eyeing the mid 1st apparently

If I can't trade down, I'll grab one of Milliner or Ansah...if they both go next and I can't trade down, I'll probably go with Rhodes...

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Eagles picked OT Fisher...perfect so far

That does secure me at least one of Milliner or Ansah and probably both Geno and Johnson to shop my pick

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Django: Good stuff; please keep us updated! Ansah...no.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Lions picked Milliner....so it's down to Ansah or trade down if an offer comes

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
trade down please

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Trade down if you can. Else, Warmack or Cooper?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

trade down please

Sell Geno...Jets?

Rhodes...

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I got no offer and picked Ansah....and yeah, I can't believe I got no offer. I pretty much flipped the bird to the Dolphins GM for being an idiot...he will lose out on the last LT (in fact he did as the Cards just picked Johnson) and most probably won't land one of the best 4-3 DEs (Ansah to me and Werner is left, but he will be gone by pick 12), while sitting on 5 top 100 picks...I tried to make the Cards GM bite, by saying I had an offer from the Phins but he called my bluff. In the real draft Lombardi and Banner probably won't have time to even field all the calls if this were how the top5 shake out

Ansah is a luxury pick with Kruger and Bryant signed, but I was told the same last year when I mocked Claiborne for us...and which team needs a CB now? You never know, maybe Sheard doesn't pan out, maybe Bryant or Kruger (or both) don't hold up to their hype or slack it after their big contract, maybe Taylor/Rubin don't work out in Horton's scheme and maybe simply one of them gets hurt...at least one of the above is very probable to happen, so Ansah will see time behind all those names. He's the definition of hybrid and has to be Horton's fav looking at the film

But who knows, maybe it'll turn out that he is really 28yo or that he has a medical condition, but since I have no access to that kind of stuff and based of what I've seen, he's worth the 6th overall in an otherwise very unstable Top 10 filled with question mark prospects.....might as well draft the question mark guy with the highest ceiling.

Floor = Manny Lawson
Ceiling = JJ Watt/JPP/Ware

I'd happily settle for a Kruger/Barwin type....

Hate away

1st round:

#4 Eagles – Eric Fisher, OT, CMU
#5 Lions – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
#6 Browns – Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU
#7 Cards – Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Now it'll get really interesting to see what the Bills and Jets will do...one of them should take Geno I guess...I expect the Bills to go Geno, Jets are a wildcard since they need everything, could go OG if they wanna play it safe or Jones or Vaccaro or Patterson or even Rhodes...trade down makes the ost sense for them. I expect the Titans to nab Werner if the Bills don't

My plan now is wait and see of course...if a player I really like (like Banks, Eifert or Q.Patton) falls into the mid 2nd I will trade my entire draft away and call it a mock draft. Otherwise I will monitor the TE, FS and CB boards as long as we don't sign any starter FA there and maybe try to trade down from 68 to get a couple of extra 3rd day lottery tickets

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...Now it'll get really interesting to see what the Bills

The Bills could go a few ways if drafting for need...QB, WR, LB. I don't think they go Smith here, maybe Nassib in the 2nd, but at some early point, they must take a QB...I think they go Jones, LB.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I haven't heard that before - Patrick Swazee in ROADHOUSE

Just for the record in February of 2013 I was Pimping Warmack...
Just for the record in April of 2009 I was pimping Orakpo for our Pick.
I know you were just all is good

Django...believe it or not - We think alike more than we disagree.

Ansah Nice! I could only Wish

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we were to draft Ansah, for the first time I would be in favor of trading DQ. Kruger and Sheard on the edge with Robertson and Ansah in the middle would really take advantage of everyone's best skills. Plus it gives us weapons that can rush the interior.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Bills at 8 just picked OLB J.Jones

Mourg, while I think Ansah could handle ILB too, it's a big leap of faith to go into the season with him and Robertson as starters...2 young players who never played 34 ILB before....otoh, DQ's value is probably at its highest point right now considering his age and shown performance....we all expect him to look a little worse in 2013 and he'll be a year older next offseason and his contract will look worse, so we could go from a 2nd/3rd round value to next to no value 12 months from now....I'd hate to see DQ go like this, but if we sign Dansby or B.Jones, it would make some sense.....then again, he's one of the leaders of this locker room and I think for that reason alone they can't trade him now, value be damned

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we were to draft Ansah, for the first time I would be in favor of trading DQ. Kruger and Sheard on the edge with Robertson and Ansah in the middle would really take advantage of everyone's best skills. Plus it gives us weapons that can rush the interior.

There will come a day that DQ will go, but right now, I think we need him..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I would have reached out to the Chargers GM before the Dolphins. Dolphins have Martin who they had at RT and moved to LT last year when Long was out and the word is he played well. Would have thought the Chargers would have wanted to move up to get Johnson before the Cards who were either taking Geno or Johnson IMHO. Could have dropped to 11 and still might have gotten Ansah or Jones or Cooper or Rhodes with a 2nd to boot. Having said that, I like Ansah and his potential to be a difference maker, not as a ILB as some poster suggested but as at OLB or DE.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ansah in the middle seriously makes no sense whatsoever.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While I am not high on Ansah I am intrigued by his versatility. I saw him play DE, LB and NT at BYU. I would love to see what Horton could do with him. Think about this: We play a "3-3". Then take Ansah and play him at DE one play, ILB next to DQ on another (I think he could play ILb. I wouldn't do it full time because I think he would be better on the outside but he could play ILb), OLB after that ... Rush him, drop him into coverage, stunt with him ...

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

Ansah in the middle seriously makes no sense whatsoever.

Yup.

Not sure why people think he can play ILB. He's clearly built to be a pass rusher.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

There will come a day that DQ will go, but right now, I think we need him..

Agreed. This year he is safe but would be interested to see what happens in 2014. The cap hit goes up a few million dollars with a bunch of the guaranteed money already paid out to him.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Chargers GM wants to trade down from 11 and said he has too many needs to burn a 2nd for a LT...I can understand that, but I really don't get the Dolphins GM thought process....his biggest needs are OT, 43 DE and CB...best CB is gone and there are numerous in the next tier he can get in the 2nd or 3rd, but there's only 1 elite LT prospect left and the 2 top 43 DEs in Ansah and Werner...and he gambles that one of them drops to him?

Meanwhile, it looks like exactly THAT will happen and he'll get Werner most probably, if he wants him....the Jets pulled a shocker by selecting Barkley as the 1st QB and the Titans nabbed DT Star

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
1st trade of the mockdraft: Chargers trade the 11th pick to the Bucs for 13+111+126 (two 4ths)...TB selects CB Rhodes

1st round:

#4 Eagles – Eric Fisher, OT, CMU
#5 Lions – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
#6 Browns – Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU
#7 Cards – Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
#8 Bills – Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
#9 Jets – Matt Barkley, QB, USC
#10 Titans – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
#11 Buccaneers (from Chargers) - Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Great trade for the Chargers.

Maybe he'll take Armstead.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Jet GM obviously a Pat fan...lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
please, don't ever apply for a job in the browns fo. unless it is for the floor sweeper on the night shift.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) My annual 32 GMs Mock Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard