Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

please, don't ever apply for a job in the browns fo. unless it is for the floor sweeper on the night shift.

Dick, why don't you go back to polishing your bowling ball and leave the posting to someone with something useful to say.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DJ, I would rather have taken Rhodes then Ansah. I think Ansah can be a good player but i see Rhodes as just as good and at currently more of a need.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
We'll see on Ansah. Huge boom or bust pick. Given his lack of overall football experience and lack of production against good competition, I think there is a tremendous amount of risk in him. If we take him in the real draft, we'll either look like geniuses or complete idiots. Given our history, I wouldn't like our chances at the former.

I hope Milliner falls to us, but this is exactly the dilemma we may face. Ugh.

Interesting pick by the Jets. Is that GM new here??

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Yes, in terms of short term need Rhodes over Ansah, but 1) Jimmy himself said that "we wont go 13-3" in 2013, 2) you'll never know how Sheard, Taylor, Kruger or Bryant will look like in Horton's scheme...three of them never played in a 3-4 and Kruger can bust too, who knows (very unlikely though...I'm fearing more Bryant) and 3) this draft is deep enough at CB to find a starting caliber CB in rounds 3 or 4, not so much at DE/OLB

The question now is: how far will Geno fall? If the Chargers don't wanted him at 11 I doubt they'll pick him at 13 (though might have been a calculated risk with Bucs and Dolphins having a young QB)....Steelers at 17? doubt it...Vikings at 23or25? Whatever QB doesn't go in the top 13, will drop to the 2nd...those teams with late 1st round picks are already bumping their fists as they can probably trade down if they want extra picks

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I disagree that he has much bust potential. I think he's one of the safest picks in the top 10 because of his style of play...and he's pretty much the best run defender of all front 7 DE or OLB. I get that the boom/bust thoughts pop up quickly because of his inexperience (his "lack of production" is simply unfair since he played as a NT or 34 DE...in fact his stats are impressively good for 9 startes at those positions) but if you watched him play (saw almost every 2012 snap of him), you see a player with a high floor and that was very surprising to me too as I never expected to see that...at worst I see a Manny Lawson career, who's been an AVG starter for 7 years now and just got another multi year deal this offseason

Jones, Jordan, Werner and even Moore have a higher bust chance imho...of all those he has the highest ceiling and floor, that's why it was a rather easy pick for me

I could be wrong, we will see

from cbs: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1765317/ezekiel-ansah

Taking full advantage of Ansah's ability to create mismatches, the BYU staff moved him all over the field in 2012, lining up as an stand-up rush linebacker (left, right and middle), a classic defensive end (left, right) and even as a nose guard, at times.

A creative NFL defensive coordinator will likely find Ansah's versatility, size and power similarly useful.

I think we have that in Horton...

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
I wonder why you see Bryant as a potential bust? He has been a very effective in the 4-3 at DT, and he looks like the perfect example of the guy who goes from 4-3 DT to 3-4 DE. Plus, he's going to be expected to attack the pocket. as opposed to just holding up the OL, so I think that he's going to do very well for us.

He's also had 9 sacks over the past 2 years as a 4-3 DT. He had 4 last year, and as far as I can tell, that was tops on the Raiders' DL. Oakland only had 25 sacks as a team overall last year. He didn't have much help around him.

What do you see that suggests he could bust?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
First off, I liked the signing, although I think we bought very high on him, so that contract alone makes him a boom or bust....Bryant makes more than Rubin, so he better produce at that level at least to be worth it....that'll be hard enough

My 2nd concern is the transition to the new scheme...sure, he should transition well, but there's always a learning curve of "how" to play what Horton wants from him (responsibilities, technique etc)...I'm sure Horton envisions him as the Browns version of Calais Campbell and hope he's right

Last concern is his character....there's always risk giving a player millions of dollars after the incident he had. A smart guy (though he's from Harvard) would not have put himself in that kind of situation right before he's bound to make millions...well, we still paid him, so who knows if he has "learned" or goes out partying? We re-signed and gave millions to DQ and Rubin and we've never heard a peep from them off the field, be it pre or post contract and it hasn't affected their play, their 100% Professionals....and I just don't have that trust level with Bryant.

What I DO like about both Kruger and Bryant is that they are (or have been at least) all out, 100% motor and hustle players ON the field....so they meet the basic requirement for any front 7 player I want on the Browns...and both have upside left...it's up to them and our coaches to get there. Looking at the contracts, we bet that they'll get there...that's a projection, not a sure thing...that also explains why I am so disappointed we didn't pursue or at least up the price on Dumervil, as he's already who we hope both Kruger and Bryant (and Sheard) to be

#gmstrong

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
This isn't in reply to anyone in particular.

I hated this signing because the Browns already have Winn and Hughes. Being Hughes was a third-rounder last year, I think he should already be making major contributions. In other words, I think this was an unnecessary signing for the Browns because they already had who I think are capable guys.

BUT, Bryant is a good player. I'm pretty confident he won't bust here. This defensive line is going to be really good with a great DC like Horton.

Legend
Legend
I can't look at the guys we got and downgrade them because we didn't go after someone else ... and that almost seems like what you are doing.

Plus, we have no idea whether or not we might have made a call to Dumervil and got a "thanks but no thanks" reply. There are reports that he is headed to Baltimore because he knows their LB coach well, and has a world of respect for him, and wants to play for him. (Martindale)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I can't look at the guys we got and downgrade them because we didn't go after someone else ... and that almost seems like what you are doing.

Of course ! Do the Browns play and sign players in a vacuum? No, they are one of 32 teams trying to improve...and if you improve 10% but one of your biggets rival improved 20%, than you've actually lost ground....while still believing you've improved. It's all about how much MORE you improved than your competitors

That's actually one of the most common logical mistakes around here (and most team forums): to think that as long as your team "improves" you'll be fine. Nah, because reality is that almost all 32 teams look at themselves AFTER the offseason and say "we've improved"

With that said: would you rather have Owens and K.Davis or Dumervil? I'll leave off Barnidge, but when we signed those 2 depth guys Dumervil was either already on the market or a sure bet to be...we "invested" at least 3-4 mil of cap on those 2 players for 2013...Dumervil will count 2.5mil against the cap for 2013. Did you read that? 2.5mil...are you going to tell me we could not have found a way to add him because we liked the value of Owens and Kellen Davis better? Oh, I already hear you say that we can't mess up next year's cap...well, the Ravens are in a much tougher spot and still got it done, didn't they?

Instead of buying high on "projection" (although very good and probable to succeed ones), we should also look into buying low on actual production

Quote:

Plus, we have no idea whether or not we might have made a call to Dumervil and got a "thanks but no thanks" reply. There are reports that he is headed to Baltimore because he knows their LB coach well, and has a world of respect for him, and wants to play for him. (Martindale)

We also don't know if Banner tried to date Marilyn Monroe but settled for his neighbourhood girl or if aliens make us think, speak and act....that's not a very strong argument....my point is: there's NEVER a "thanks but no thanks" reply if you offer 1-2 mil a season more (that's 5-10mil more over 5 years)...you either get a "yes" from him for the price of Kruger and can start to look for trade partners for Sheard OR you force the Ravens to pay Kruger money at least....I prefer BOTH scenarios to what actually happened. It's nice to have a "plan" but you have to move when an opportunity presents itself....that's what Ozzie did...his "plan" was not to pay Kruger the money he got, because he couldn't afford it, so Kruger walked....but once he got a chance to make up for it, he MOVED instead of having LESS resources than us.....so, if our FO was "smart" for not going (or offering more) for Dumervil, was Ozzie stupid for doing so? There's no win-win here....

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
I"m kinda surprised that Barkley went and Gino Smith hasn't yet

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
My point is that Dumervil wasn't even on the market when they signed Bryant and Kruger. (and Groves, for that matter)

I can't look at this situation and say "Gee, we should have waited and signed Dumervil instead" ..... because he wasn't an option at the time. No one knew that he was going to be an option.

While the Browns do have cap space now, what happens if they sign yet another high dollar piece to the LB corps? I am quite certain that they have a budget for each unit that they have to stay within in order not to bust the overall budget. We already have DQ signed to a 5 year, $42 million deal, along with Kruger at 5 years, $41 million. Do we then also add Dumervil at 5 years, $35 million? How much do they allocate to the LB corps? If Sheard works out, then we'll have to resign him after 2014 as well.

Contracts have to fit the overall budget, and I would be willing to bet that a $35 million deal for another LB just did not fit. I would guess that if we sign Butler, it will be to a lesser deal than that.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Dolphins pulled a surprise at 12th overall by selectin WR Austin

#gmstrong

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Dolphins pulled a surprise at 12th overall by selectin WR Austin

apparently, he is a fan of the former Ginn Jr. at #9 overall pick and wanted to do it all over again.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Perhaps they're being cautious, money-wise, to leave room for the Falcon CB?

Just guessing...

Would we still be able to sign both if Elvis was still available?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Drafting Tavon AFTER signing Wallace makes no sense...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Drafting Tavon AFTER signing Wallace makes no sense...

Tavon would most likely be there slot WR. Wallace and Hartline on the ends and Tavon would fit in perfectly in the slot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Perhaps they're being cautious, money-wise, to leave room for the Falcon CB?

Just guessing...

Would we still be able to sign both if Elvis was still available?

Yes, this year we would have been fine as far as adding a pair of high dollar contracts.

However, a few years down the road, when we want to resign some of our own free agents, we might be out of money. (cap room)

The way the Browns seem to be managing the cap, they are being careful in structuring the contracts of premium free agents to prevent cap "explosions". (Like the one the Dolphins will have in 2014 .... IIRC .... when they will be hit with a cap number of somewhere around $14-$15 million for Mike Wallace) The Browns are looking at plugging holes, but doing so with players who can do something they need, but who are signed to small, short term deals. I would assume that a player might be offered an extension if they do well for the team ... maybe even in the current year.

Regardless, the Browns can carry forward cap room, if they wish. If we have extra cap room this season of, maybe, $20 million after the league year ends. We would then have next year's cap plus that carryover amount. We could use that for other free agents, or to resign our own players, if we wish. The Browns don't have to go sign players just for the sake of signing them. They can continue to allow players to develop, and add players as needed, if they don't go on a spending spree, just for the sake of spending.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

if they don't go on a spending spree, just for the sake of spending.

We all agree here, but I obv disagree that throwing money at Dumervil would have been "for the sake of spending"...it would have been a good move, period. 7mil annually for a proven guy like Elvis is imho AT LEAST as good a move as 8mil/year for Kruger...no?

Update 1st round:

#1 Chiefs – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
#2 Jags – Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
#3 Raiders – Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
#4 Eagles – Eric Fisher, OT, CMU
#5 Lions – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
#6 Browns – Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
#7 Cards – Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
#8 Bills – Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
#9 Jets – Matt Barkley, QB, USC
#10 Titans – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
#11 Bucs (fom Chargers) – Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
#12 Dolphins – Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
#13 Chargers (from Bucs) – Chance Warmack, OT, Alabama
#14 Panthers – Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

The Geno-slide has begun...who will take him now?

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Once more though, in 2014, we would have Kruger making $8 million, DQ making just over that, and Dumervil making $7 million for the year.That would be $23 million out of a probable $125 - $130 million cap.

Does it make sense to tie up almost 20% of your total salary cap on 3 players who play in the same position group?

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Does it make sense to tie up almost 20% of your total salary cap on 3 players who play in the same position group?

1. Who cares? You manage a roster and we're under the cap, probably because we're MUCH cheaper somewhere else (QB). Other teams have 20% tied up at QB, so what? Also, if we would have signed Dumervil, of course he would NOT have made only 2.5mil...he would have made 7+ mil THIS season and closer to those 2.5mil somewhere in 2014/15 or a flat 5-7 like the flat 8 Kruger's gonna get over the life of his contract

2. Many don't realize it yet, but this is most probably DQ's last season as a Brown. At his age and cap hit for this scheme, he is a stop gap. So he won't ever even sniff anywhere close to 8mil next season...he either takes a pay cut or gets fired. That's why I debated elsewhere that it would make sense to do a "Dolphins" move at ILB this FA...sign Dansby and/or B.Jones and dangle DQ on draft day to 4-3 teams needing a MLB. We could fetch a mid round pick THIS offseason. His value will most probably be shot 12 months from now considering his age, cap hit and expected drop off in the 3-4

#gmstrong

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

1. Who cares? You manage a roster and we're under the cap, probably because we're MUCH cheaper somewhere else (QB). Other teams have 20% tied up at QB, so what? Also, if we would have signed Dumervil, of course he would NOT have made only 2.5mil...he would have made 7+ mil THIS season and closer to those 2.5mil somewhere in 2014/15 or a flat 5-7 like the flat 8 Kruger's gonna get over the life of his contract

2. Many don't realize it yet, but this is most probably DQ's last season as a Brown. At his age and cap hit for this scheme, he is a stop gap. So he won't ever even sniff anywhere close to 8mil next season...he either takes a pay cut or gets fired. That's why I debated elsewhere that it would make sense to do a "Dolphins" move at ILB this FA...sign Dansby and/or B.Jones and dangle DQ on draft day to 4-3 teams needing a MLB. We could fetch a mid round pick THIS offseason. His value will most probably be shot 12 months from now considering his age, cap hit and expected drop off in the 3-4

I think DQ could be around longer than this year, when he sees how much better this team is getting, he might just take a pay cut to be here when we finally get to that Super Bowl ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
N
Legend
Legend
N
speaking of Dansby, I still want him at ILB and he should be humbled enough by now (of no interest at whatever he is asking to get) to sign a cheap deal.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

2. Many don't realize it yet, but this is most probably DQ's last season as a Brown. At his age and cap hit for this scheme, he is a stop gap.

I completely agree with this and it is unfortunate because I like him as a player and his defensive leadership. But he is not a 3-4 ILB.

I hope we're wrong and he can prove his worth in this scheme.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think DQ could be around longer than this year, when he sees how much better this team is getting, he might just take a pay cut to be here when we finally get to that Super Bowl ... JMHO

I think he's due a $4million roster bonus in March next year- the same time many of those things are dished out. Based on how he performs in 2013 will be a good temperature check, obviously.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
99.99999999% of the browns fans could pick a better player than that.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Update:

1st round:

#13 Chargers (from Bucs) – Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
#14 Panthers – Sheldon Richardson, DT, Mizzou
#15 Saints – Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
#16 Rams - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Steeler are otc...

#gmstrong

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Maybe Dallas takes Smith as the future replacement for Romo? I don't know They are the only team left that makes even a little bit of sense.

D
Legend
Legend
D
A comment and a question ...

I'd be surprised if the Jets went with another overrated (imo) USC QB. A PR nightmare after Sanchez, you'd think.

Is Vaccaro considered a FS or a SS? I've seen him listed both ways, but a few sites list him as SS first, FS second.

Legend
Legend
Actually, I don;t know how DQ's bonuses and guarantees are structured ... but he is guaranteed $19 million, and if those guarantees haven;t been realized yet, then they would hit the cap is we cut him at some point in the future. Maybe he gets cut, and maybe he has to stay to allow for us to have more cap room than we would have by cutting him.

Maybe we could trade him, but finding a buyer for an expensive LB might be difficult.

Again, the structure of the entire team comes into play. You bring up a QB taking up 20% of his team's cap. Why does this happen? Because you win with a great QB in the NFL. A great QB is a bargain at 20% of his team's cap.That one player impacts his team more than any other single player can.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Who do you like at #6 and why.

I kind of want to see a trade down to the mid-late 1st for a 2 this year and a 2 next year, and whatever else they could get. I like that deal every year, unless there is someone really special that stands out.

I think there's more value in getting multiple players of the top 60-90.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
First off, I don't want to trade him and we won't trade him since we kept him on the roster and paid a high bonus already. I was just talking about his value as a player being at its highest. He has to deliver a Daryl Washington-like season in Horton's scheme to be worth it going forward...or maybe we "re-structure" his contract, we will see.
Also, I have him as a 10.4mil guaranteed contract over 5 years, not 19mil, not sure where you have that number from? 7mil was his signing bonus, which is the cap relevant part of it all. He signed for 5 years prior to the 2012 season. So if we opt to release him after the 2013 he will be a "cap hit" of 3x1.2mil = 3.6mil. He's slated to make 6.7mil with a 4mil roster bonus (those aren't guaranteed obv if he gets cut before or re-structures) in 2014, so a release would save just over 3mil in cap for 2014. I guess his play will dictate his future as a Brown, so he should be motivated to keep that nice contract going

Meanwhile, the Giants with a rather surprising pick

1st round:

#15 Saints – Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
#17 Steelers - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
#18 Cowboys – Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
#19 Giants - Cornelius "Tank" Carradine, DE, FSU

Geno falling hard, Werner is also still around...Carradine over Werner is gutsy

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns re-sign LB D'Qwell Jackson to multiyear deal - ESPN
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7621132/cleveland-browns-re-sign-lb-dqwell-jackson-multiyear-deal

Updated: February 27, 2012, 8:21 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The Browns didn't disclose financial terms but a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Jackson agreed to a five-year, $42.5 million deal that includes $19 million in guaranteed money and roster bonuses.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
good

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
As I said the "roster bonuses" are only "guaranteed" if he is on the roster at a certain time....his signing bonus is all that matters and will cause an accelerated cap hit and his SB was 7mil. If we cut him before we guaranteed his 2013 salary, we would have been charged with a 5.6mil cap hit and would have saved next to nothing, that's why they probably kept him, but if he gets cut next season, they can save almost 3mil....we willl see

and to be perfectly clear, I love DQ and want him to remain a Brown as long as possible

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Update: 2 trades Bengals give 21ovr to the Vikings and get 23+120 and Rams trade out of pick 22 for picks 36+65 from the Lions

1st round:

#18 Cowboys – Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC
#19 Giants - Cornelius Carradine, DE, FSU
#20 Bears - Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
#21 Vikings (from Bengals) – Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
#22 Lions (from Rams from Skins) - Björn Werner, DE, FSU

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
man, that is a GREAT draft for the Lions. Especially if they think Reiff can go at LT.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

man, that is a GREAT draft for the Lions. Especially if they think Reiff can go at LT.

It is. He turned his three top picks 5+36+65 into arguably two Top 10 talents of this draft in Milliner and Werner, 2 MAJOR need positions....very nicely done indeed

Goes to show that this draft is all about team preference and will be all over the place. The Bengals at 23 picked Vols WR Justin Hunter

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Update:

1st round:

#18 Cowboys – Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC
#19 Giants - Cornelius Carradine, DE, FSU
#20 Bears - Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
#21 Vikings (from Bengals) – Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
#22 Lions (from Skins via Rams) - Björn Werner, DE, FSU
#23 Bengals (from Vikings) - Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
#24 Colts - Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
#25 Vikings (from Seahawks) - Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas Sate

I've set my targets for pick #68 to be (in no order) CB Gratz, CB Slay, FS Swearinger, QB Manuel, QB Bray and TE Kelce....if 3/4 or more of those make it to pick 68, I'll consider a small trade down. I'll consider an uptrade if WR Patton or CB J.Taylor fall past pick 50

Thoughts?

#gmstrong

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) My annual 32 GMs Mock Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard