Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
C
So let me first preface this by saying I think the new FO has done a decent job in FA. We struck quick on guys that we had obviously targeted and continue to work on getting Grimes who I think is our top pick at CB.

But whats the deal with TE?

Sure, we struck quickly.....on a backup, utility type guy. There were pass catchers on the market...Dustin Keller, Jared Cook, Delanie Walker, Brandon Myers. But nothing...

Combine this with our willingness to let Watson walk (which I really don't understand as the guy has been nothing but dependable) and I really don't get where the FO is going.

We can;t be thinking that Cameron is our starting TE. He's shown less than Moore did when he was here and was our flavour of the month for a pass catching TE.

The only thing I can think of is that they've got a few TEs they like in the draft?

Last edited by CanadaDawg; 03/22/13 11:30 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So let me first preface this by saying I think the new FO has done a decent job in FA. We struck quick on guys that we had obviously targeted and continue to work on getting Grimes who I think is our top pick at CB.

Sure, we struck quickly.....on a backup, utility type guy. There were pass catchers on the market...Dustin Keller, Jared Cook, Delanie Walker, Brandon Myers. But nothing...

Combine this with our willingness to let Watson walk (which I really don't understand as the guy has been nothing but dependable) and I really don't get where the FO is going.

We can;t be thinking that Cameron is our starting TE. He's shown less than Moore did when he was here and was our flavour of the month for a pass catching TE.

The only thing I can think of is that they've got a few TEs they like in the draft?

Personally, I think they are targeting someone in the draft, they picked up the kid that was with the Panthers that Chud knows well and then we have Jordan Cameron who showed promise when used but wasn't used that much.

On top of that, we've talk to a couple of guys, one from the Bears and we're rumored to have talked to the guy from the Redskins.

We haven't found a "A" list TE yet that I know of, but that doesn't mean they aren't looking.

For the record, we still need another CB, Safety and another starting OLB and some depth at that position.

I think we're ok on Offense except for TE and it may be that we don't see what they see in Cameron and this other kid they pick up.

We may have a need for a FB as well unless Smelley impressed anyone. I can't imagine Maricic impressed anyone. (jmo)

So it's not JUST the TE. In fact, that may be last on the list of needs. Dunno.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I think they want to see what Cameron can do in Turners system. I think he will be fine.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
You may be on to something here. I think he showed some real promise last season.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not sure if they LET Watson walk...

like we found out with Dawson, he didn't want to be here. Maybe Watson doesn't want to be here either?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Norv and Chud have found successful TEs everywhere they have coached. Then again, Holmgren had found successful QBs he had coached.

Here's hoping Norv and Chud have more sucess at TE here than Holmgren did at QB.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
CanadaDawg...
1. two factors I think are involved regarding the FA market. Silly money being thrown at a lot of these guys. It was said that is what pulled us off the Cook market.

2. We do not have a Franchise QB established...If I'm making my living catching the ball, I'm not even speaking to the teams without an established Franchise QB.

Now this is my personal opinion as well.

TE is not a difficult position to learn. Routes ran are usually pretty simple.
We got two who have decent size, speed n hands. Both ready to hit their stride.

If we had more draft picks I'd say we definitely would pick a TE...with only 6 picks??? who knows. but there are several who can be there in the 4th that we would like to have?

Let me see...is there a history of some young TEs - boom come on the seen.
Gonzo n Hernandez So two young prospects in hand don't have us in Doomsville.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Chud used to be a TE coach. Norv Turner has also had experience working with TE.

Cameron could be a real sleeper. Maybe he's not, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

I do think that we'll look for one more strong blocking TE, and one more receiving TE. We also do have guys like Gronkowsli and Smelley, who might be worth a look. I kind of liked some of what I saw out of Gronkowski last pre-season. Granted, that's not against the #1s ..... but he did look like he was developing, (4 catches for 60 yards, and some solid blocking) He appeared to have decent quickness down the seam, and decent hands. He could be a sleeper.

I also like Smelley, but more as a receiver at the position than as a blocker. His blocking needs work.

However, much as DJ brought up in another thread about Guards ...... a team can develop a TE. Antonio Gates was undrafted. Jared Cook, who many wanted us to go after, had had 2 good years out of 4 ..... but his high water mark was 758 yards, and he hit his high in TD catches last year with 4. He was a 3rd round pick. Bennett was a guy who never broke 300 yards receiving until last year, his 5th in the NFL. He was a 2nd round pick. Brandon Myers was originally a 6th round pick. Last year, his 4th season in the NFL, was the 1st time he broke 200 yards receiving. Dustin Keller had 317 yards receiving last year. He was hurt last year, but looks like a guy on the rise after a (relatively) slower start to his career. He was a 1st round pick, and has had a nice career thus far. Anthony Fasano was also another decent receiving TE, though not a game breaker. He caught 41 passes last year, but for only 8.1 yards/catch. For the most part he's been a 300-400 yard guy. He was a 2nd round pick.

If you look at this year's free agent class of TE, (many listed above) really the only guy with production and consistency has been Keller. Other than that, there have been a couple of guys who finally came on in their 4th years, or guys who have been exceedingly average throughout their careers. The best TE I listed above is gates, and he was a college basketball player.

The Bills start Scott Chandler at TE. He caught 43 passes for 571 yards and 6 TD last year. Know how many he caught in his 1st 6 years combined? 1 catch for 8 yards. He came on in year 7, his 2nd year (2011) overall with the Bills. He was also with the Bills in 2009.

The NFL is rife with players at TE who come on later in their careers. It's weird, but like Guards, a TE can develop into a plus level starter over time. Just because a guy hasn't had a big breakout by his 2nd or 3rd year doesn't mean that he is trash and will never be anything. Not at the TE position.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think they were interested in Cook but for whatever reason he chose the Rams, Keller is kind of short for a TE (only 6' 2"), Walker is also a short guy (only 6ft tall) and is more of an H-back then a true TE, and as for Myers I think they realized he truly isn't a # 1 TE on a good roster. Myers' career receiving average is only 9.5 yds.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Jz why the rush to sign people so fast? We just worked out Fred Davis yesterday.

Have some patience, especially if the front office feels the need isn't a FA, but a draft need.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
On Cameron, we've been linked to several tight ends. Not so sure they are 100% sold on him. Especially if the $$$ reports are accurate on Fred Davis. Severe risk there for that cash.

Barridge: Chud knows him. We've got to trust that. I read somewhere that Chud told him he had a shot at being "THE Guy" in Cleveland. I will try to find that blurb, I think it was from Charlotte.

Draft? Yes, a possibility. But folks say this about every position. LB, CB, FS, TE, FB, Project QB, WR, depth, Guard depth. Somewhere we have to split the hairs between our 2 picks in the top 100 and these holes. We Can't use that 3rd round pick at TE, FS and LB.

I don't think its as much of a pressing-need as the secondary. Maybe Chud and Norv are confident in there ability to get a lot from a little at tight end.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Browns sign TE Kellen Davis to a one year deal:

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...r-deal-1.383560

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
It will be funny if we end up with Davis and Grimes. Would make for a very good FA. period.

Legend
Legend
Jimmy Graham is a free agent next year

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
KELLEN????? NOOOOOOOOO...oh, Davis

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Someone has to replace Alex Stone hands Smith

C
Legend
Legend
C
Is Robert Royal available?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Is Robert Royal available?

yes, he just goes by Kellen Davis these days.

#gmstrong
Rookie
Rookie

At the combine, the Brownies were said to be talking with the kid from UCLA, Fauria. A potential mid rounder. I wouldn't be against that pick.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think they want to see what Cameron can do in Turners system. I think he will be fine.

The fact is, better coaching equals better players. When you have the ability to coach all of your players up to their true potential, those players become better.

We have a MUCH better coaching staff now. hopefully that plays a big part in this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Well said and I agree.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I agree with your post. This staff may bring more to the field if they truly go at people. Other teams should fear the Pumpkin Patch. I think some marginal well-coached and hungry guys should succeed.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Rookie
Rookie
If you take a good look at Barnidge, he actually is a very athletic pass catching TE. He went to Louiville and was known more for his pass catching rather than his blocking. He was more of a WR there. He ran a 4.6 40! He is a Jordan Cameron type guy...I'm thinking that they didn't sign him just for blocking and depth like the reports showed when we signed him....we signed him as a play maker.

[Linked Image from s9.postimage.org]
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
No need to throw big money at a TE. High draft pick TE's are hit and miss. There are productive TE's littered through the NFL that don't command big pay checks.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I am really hoping this staff uses Camerion a lot. They can line him up anywhere on the field and IMO, get productivity outta him. I'd love to see him in a good offense, and getting the snaps. I think we'd be very pleased with him.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
It always irked me that we'd see cameron catch most things that came his way and have the ability to have good games and then he just wouldn't play or wasn't in the lineup for some reason. I guess that was typical bonehead Shurmur.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I guess that was typical bonehead Shurmur.

No doubt. Jordan didn't even get a hand-off or direct snap, LMAO!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news/

The Bills will host TE Fred Davis for a free-agent visit on Wednesday.
Davis dined with Bills execs Saturday night and will visit the club facility this week. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Redskins remain interested in re-signing Davis and the Jets are interested, too. (This is the first time we've seen the Jets linked to Davis.) The Browns no longer appear to be in the running.

------------------------------------------------------

I, personally, have NOT liked what the Browns have/haven't done in FA thus far! This Fred Davis is a fine example; Show interest, bring him to Berea, talk about competing with other teams (in this case, the Redskins) and then for us fans out here, cut off all information until it's just a passing "memory"! Little or No explanation and the deal just faaaades away! WHAT IS GOING ON?!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Once we signed our other Davis (blocking TE) our TE FA dealings were DONE...two young pass catching TEs n one veteran Blocking TE. Again has us going into the draft without a Urgent Need. Draft day I will be curious. I know we were targeting Kasa...but since then several other NFL teams have been impressed. Curious where we got him on our Board? 3rd round? n will he be there. Out of the picture but Buffalo is tells me out of the picture is not FDavis choice...lol

We are not doomed. JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
eotab, I don't think there's a person on here that doesn't look up to your opinion in some way; Tell me, what have You thought we've done right and wrong in FA? Were you too expecting more or no?

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
(Also, i thought Fred Davis was gonna be our legit "catching" TE; The two we picked up seem to be blockers only, and none too exciting, it seems...)

Last edited by aiiiiee; 03/25/13 08:46 AM.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Until he signs elsewhere, I believe we're still in the running. I don't believe for a second they'd pass on him solely because of these other 2 TEs we've signed...

E
Legend
Legend
E
aiiii this is what I know....the fact that I DON'T KNOW

For instance some dawgs are disappointed we haven't talked to this player or that - n in not doing so are not doing our due diligence.

But here is a for instance. KW2 was just on NFL AM that I watch/but more listen to as I'm on the computer here. He was just asked Where is his future? He said this team that team n then stated The Browns with coach Chud talking with him. Now did we know we were talking with KW2...I had no idea we were. But if he signs elsewhere you will have 3 or 4 dawgs saying man we didn't even talk to him - what is wrong with our guys.

We probably have inquired about a lot of these FAs.

My impression. I don't like doing a lot w/FA the cost is too much. In the past we had nothing in young players n had to do a lot - so much so we had to go Quantity instead of Quality n that meant a lot of 2nd tier guys.

I saw one Invest a lot in FA that was Butch 2001 n 2002 and that was because Clark left him with NOTHING! After all those draft picks given to us to build the team via the draft...NOTHING! So he had to...which gave us that 2002 winning season n our only visit to the playoffs. Of course ONE n DONE...we weren't going anywhere in the playoffs. The next year we were 20 Mil over the cap n had to disband and rebuild again.

So yes we had enough money probably to rebuild and get more starters or depth reaching the top of the cap. But the guys we draft have more of the "I BELIEVE" in the system. I find those kids are very Rah Rah as we are the first football out of college which is big time rah rah do anything for the team. I think once they go FA a little of their Heart goes. So if you center your team on FA's its like getting the Hessian to fight for us in the Revolutionary war...They would fight but their heart wouldn't be in it.

Also Banner has done what he said was the plan. He wishes to spread the FA investments over 2 years maybe 3. so that - 4 years from now some contracts spent will run out or reach the years that never were meant to fulfill unless they Stud Out. So that we would have a rotation of Cap Room. Rather than spend it all this year...that would tie our hands for 2014 n 15?

I think a big utilization of FA especially for teams who state they wish to build through the draft. Is to use FA to eliminate Urgent Need. Losing Watson n Alex Smith - we signed two TE to eliminate Urgent Need...Losing Brown n Patterson we sign Owens n I still hope Grimes to eliminate all Urgent Need. We had a big time need in Pass Rushing...while keeping our only pass rusher (Sheard although a transition to OLB is needed) we added Kruger n Groves al I hope Butler. Again eliminating an URGENT NEED. This way we go into the draft not eliminating those positions but eliminating Urgent Need and our pick will be based on our interpretation of BPA.

So in that regard I think we have upgraded with Talent signed as well as eliminate a lot of the Urgent Needs. Exactly how much of an Upgrade is tough until we see just what these new systems provide.

I don't wish MAJOR Gains from FA...I am so happy we finally have a good young drafted/UDFA or Signed players released by other teams that we liked. So we can concentrate on Quality. For what we want for our systems.

I see all our additions fitting a puzzle. I don't see FA as the cure all! Listening to some on this board we would have 22 new starters on this team with a Grass is Always Greener attitude for a ONE/TWO year shot at a Championship n then the Cap hits the fan. No UNITY, No Communication No Trust with each other...so much about what a TEAM IS. Not a bunch of All Stars. I don't think anyone has won a Championship cause they went all out with FA. I see good pieces of the puzzle being added.

JMHO only cause you asked. So far so good!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Kellen Winslow says Browns, Panthers, Raiders are interested in him
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 25, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
PFT

Free agent tight end Kellen Winslow says his career is definitely not over, and he already knows there are teams interested in him for the 2013 season.

Winslow said on NFL AM that Browns coach Rob Chudzinski, who coached him at the University of Miami, is interested in bringing him back to Cleveland. He also said the Raiders are still interested, and the Panthers have reached out as well.

“I’ve heard from the Raiders, the Panthers, the Browns — with coach Chudzinski up there,” Winslow said. “I think I could fit in anywhere, though. I’m a mismatch. I’m basically a basketball player playing tight end.”

Last year Winslow was traded from the Buccaneers to the Seahawks in May, then was released by Seattle just before the start of the regular season. He later caught on with the Patriots and stayed in New England long enough to play in one game and catch one pass.

“I got cut a day after cuts, so it was real tough, then I signed with the Patriots for a week. It just didn’t work out there, it just wasn’t the right time,” Winslow said.

It’s fair to wonder whether it will ever be the right time for Winslow, as the knee problems that have hampered him ever since a motorcycle accident ended his 2005 season before it started aren’t going to get any better as he approaches 30. But Winslow says he’s staying in shape and confident he’ll keep playing.

“I definitely plan on playing next season. I’ve been working hard. I got into cycling, actually — got my Lance Armstrong on, and it’s really helping me out,” Winslow said.

Whatever else happens, it’s good to know that Winslow is spending his offseasons on a bicycle, rather than a motorcycle.

So not only is Winslow back on something that only has two wheels, he's channeling his inner Lance Armstrong. Call me jaded due to past experiences with that idiot, but it wouldn't shock me to eventually see Winslow suspended for PED's.

I would rather stand-pat with the poor group of TE's we have now than bring that spud back into the fold...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Ok. There's what EO heard. And now this...

K2 says we are "interested."

Oh boy...

Ok, Toad beat me to it…

Last edited by Brownoholic; 03/25/13 10:18 AM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
So much wasted potential...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... bring that spud back into the fold...

Oh dear! Could Leon (BE) be next?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

... bring that spud back into the fold...

Oh dear! Could Leon (BE) be next?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Would love to have him back if the team feels he can contribute and help.

Loved his fire and intensity that he played with and some of the best hands we've ever had.

Why not? It's not like we have a TE worth a damn on the roster.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Whats the deal with a lack of TE?

Link Copied to Clipboard