Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Most of the trick shot kicks are completely pointless, but the regular field goal type kicks in there are respectable. Though, he's hardly kicking in the swirling winds of CBS.

In any case, it's just a tryout.

yea but how many clay pigeons did he get?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Can't no other kickers get it down like him....

He's kickalicious........

I've seen Dawson nailing 70 yarders in training camp.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If he can make the kicks, I don't care what he calls himself.

Yep - if he's solid I don't care what he calls himself

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You've got to admit, about mid career Dawson's leg was weak. It's sure come around the last few years, though.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We all will. The thing is you'll never know if Dawson would have made it. You go back around here. You remember the day people were saying Dawson had a weak leg and should be replaced....the vast majority I might remind you.

You are absolutely correct.

I was on that train for a little while, and then some poster was talking about how the kicks were meant to be high, short, and to the side, so that we had a good chance to get the fumble turnover. And that poster might have been........ GM!

I realized this was the case, and figured, we had a Field Goal kicker who couldn't kick over 50 yards but was on point when less than 50.

I realize that I didn't give Dawson the credit he deserved at that time (although I don't think I wanted to replace the guy), but I do think he's improved in the later part of his career. I mean, we're talking about 7 years ago probably.......... I do think that he's improved.

And that's why he earned his nickname (as in, my nickname for him) Mr. Automatic Phil Dawson. Except when something gets really screwed up, usually not having to do with Phil

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Serious question, wouldn't he have to go through the draft also?

Not if he is outside the limits of age/time removed from his college class that the NFL has set up.

At 28, I would guess that he is well removed from both limitations.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
G
gsa Offline
Rookie
Rookie
G
Thanks! I didn't know that there were any limits.

N
Legend
Legend
N
glad everyone appreciated the Rex joke. the obvious ones are always best

#gmstrong
Rookie
Rookie
Well he was perfect on kicks over 50yds last year, yea his leg is so weak, LOL. What where you watching?

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
bring back Wolfert and sign him. period.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You remember the day people were saying Dawson had a weak leg and should be replaced....the vast majority I might remind you.

If your memory still works you will recall that I was one of the few who said Phil's kickoffs were designed to be HIGH not long back when the uninformed people were complaining, and I also said Phil could kick the 50+ yard field goals but it was a coaching choice that prevented him from doing so.

I remember it well... and chimed in, in support. Phil could kick it exactly where he was told, pretty much whenever he was told.

That level of precision isn't easily replaced.

This is a much bigger spot to fill than many realize.

If Dawgs at this site think that kickers are "a dime a dozen," I have only these few words for them in response:

Dawson: Buffalo game, 2008. 49 yards. Money.

Dawg's a first-ballot HOF'er in my book. I'm sad to see him go.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

watching the video....for some reason gives me the itching to have a few beers and saying oi, oi, oi. Ah, maybe it's b/c we just had St. Patty's day

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 03/23/13 04:34 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Embarrassed??? I don't get that. Actually I'm hoping we sign him.

1. You know it ain't for big money.
2. You can always CUT him.
3. I hope we sign him n two others??? Compete n Cut the losers!

Why you wish to draft one?

I watched his video. I hope we sign him too! VERY impressive!

...The music however, was not.

Last edited by 3_and_out; 03/23/13 07:49 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Can't no other kickers get it down like him....

He's kickalicious........

I've seen Dawson nailing 70 yarders in training camp.

????

I was just kidding around and applying his name to the Fergie song.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
This deserves it's own thread? We haven't even signed him. We were already discussing it on the Free Agency thread.

It continues to AMAZE me how many of you are looking for reasons to bash the front office. I suppose I should get it, after all, we were contenders for the Super Bowl every year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

The first time some bum misses a kick a kick that costs us a game I will be first in line to bitch about it.

We all will. The thing is you'll never know if Dawson would have made it. You go back around here. You remember the day people were saying Dawson had a weak leg and should be replaced....the vast majority I might remind you.

yeah I think there was about 3 of us that were digging for proof, stats, and everything else trying to explain how good Dawson was. plus he was playing injured.

I never understood why people didn't like him for those 1-2 years

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

I would love to see that in brown and orange. During the timeout when someone's trying to "Ice" him. You can't ice a man from gat dang Norway!

Last edited by 4yikes2yoshi0; 03/23/13 10:49 AM.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well he was perfect on kicks over 50yds last year, yea his leg is so weak, LOL. What where you watching?

I was watching what other people wrote before I responded to their posts. You should do the same.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jesus christ as if we weren't already a joke we have to bring the circus to town. UGH!

Strong username to scolding refference.

Did Not intend to scold just don't like hearing or seeing the use the Lord's name that way ... Sorry but I love Jesus ...

ditto!

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

... I think the wind blows in Norway...

LOL ... nope, the Cleveland winds shouldnt be a problem. Some of his kicks in that video were amazing...

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Quote:

LOL ... nope, the Cleveland winds shouldnt be a problem. Some of his kicks in that video were amazing...

Definitely but if he were able to do that every time I think the Jets would have signed him.

I'm sure there were quite a few takes to some of those kicks, that said it can't hurt to at least kick the tires, never know where you'll find the next big thing.

Rookie
Rookie
I think this is great for a try out. you can always use an extra leg for TC & you never know how he will develop.

Here we go again
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Definitely but if he were able to do that every time I think the Jets would have signed him.

I'm sure there were quite a few takes to some of those kicks, that said it can't hurt to at least kick the tires, never know where you'll find the next big thing.

They gave him an opportunity. I'd like to see him kick them with a rush coming at him, but just the kicks themselves are impressive.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

I would love to see that in brown and orange. During the timeout when someone's trying to "Ice" him. You can't ice a man from gat dang Norway!

great pic, Can anyone put this face on a pic of DA in his #3 browns uni? hahahaha

Here we go again
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

They gave him an opportunity. I'd like to see him kick them with a rush coming at him, but just the kicks themselves are impressive.

I don't think a rush impacts a kicker at all. His focus at the snap is at the hold and spot. He's not looking at the rushers. If it gets blocked, it gets blocked. There is no way for a kicker to hurry things up any more than they already are.

When the holder catches the ball and starts to place it the kicker takes his first stride. The ball is set on the spot and the kicker plants and then he kicks it. Very little time to change anything in the proccess.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Didn't Dawson choose to leave? From everything I've read, he wanted to. I guess to bash the FO is just a simple pastime around here.

I wanted Phil too, but if they franchised him it would have been at a ridiculous salary. He chose to move on, I think the fans need to also.

Phil was great in weather, but many other kickers made kicks here in the winter also. He was not exclusive.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think that most of us just want to confirm we at least offered him a decent contract to stay here, that we at least tired to get him back.

If we did and he chose to go.. that's cool good luck to him.

But if we didn't at least try to sign him then that is a fail..

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think that most of us just want to confirm we at least offered him a decent contract to stay here, that we at least tired to get him back.

I think it is pretty clear we didn't offer him a contract......and as much as I like Phil, I understand the move.

Simply a business move. In business terms, Phil was a 57 year old VP in some company. A solid performer, but he isn't going to move up, so you bump him/her out. S/he can't take it too badly since they probably got moved in to a slot held by a similar person 10 year before.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1st String
1st String
after watching that vid a few times, that guys short yardage kicks 20 and 30 were awfully low. even the 40 yarders seemed like line drives. i could see him getting blocked a ton if he doesn't get some leg under it and loft it just a bit. the guys on the d lines are getting taller and taller with greater leap abilities.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I think it is pretty clear we didn't offer him a contract......and as much as I like Phil, I understand the move.

Simply a business move. In business terms, Phil was a 57 year old VP in some company. A solid performer, but he isn't going to move up, so you bump him/her out. S/he can't take it too badly since they probably got moved in to a slot held by a similar person 10 year before.

But typically you don't move out a long term employee ( VP) unless you already have a groomed replacement OR hope to find one that can bring more to the table than the VP you currently have.... neither seem to be the case.

IMO a contract should have been offered..now I could live witht he fact we got outbid.. in this caset the business decision was we have X amount of dollars slotted for this osition, that and given your history and ability says we can pay you so much... if the 49ers gave him more be it money, comfort level, etc. then so be it.

I just think an offer should have been made.

#gmstrong

B
Legend
Legend
B
I would have loved to have kept Phil.

I understand your point about grooming, but the NFL doesn't really groom players. Especially kickers. Baseball is the only sport that has an extensive grooming process. Hockey and Basketball have a bit of a process, but baseball teams have 4-5 levels of minor league ball. You have to give baseball props, they select kids and then spend the time and money trying to get them to the parent club, playing their brand of ball, coached the way they want them coached.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

You have to give baseball props, they select kids and then spend the time and money trying to get them to the parent club, playing their brand of ball, coached the way they want them coached.

yeah and when they fail.... the player ends up being a QB for the Browns.

Seriously, I understand your reasoning.

Bottom line ...wish he was here,.. he's gone and yeah, we can get another kicker... oh boy when he misses one though... the haters will come out of the walls.

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You have to give baseball props, they select kids and then spend the time and money trying to get them to the parent club, playing their brand of ball, coached the way they want them coached.

yeah and when they fail.... the player ends up being a QB for the Browns.

Seriously, I understand your reasoning.

Bottom line ...wish he was here,.. he's gone and yeah, we can get another kicker... oh boy when he misses one though... the haters will come out of the walls.

LOL You aren't the only one to say that.. I wouldn't want to follow a legend like Phil.., No way..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

LOL You aren't the only one to say that.. I wouldn't want to follow a legend like Phil.., No way..

Yeah, the next guy will never get a fair shake with the fans, you can see that already.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You've got to admit, about mid career Dawson's leg was weak. It's sure come around the last few years, though.

I can't admit that. I don't think it's accurate at all..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wouldn't want to follow a legend like Phil..,

Phil will indeed be a tough act to follow. There likely will be a lot of pressure on the newbie to perform (close) to Phil's standard...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Dawson didn't have any problem selling himself to the team that almost won the Super Bowl, did he? Dawson let his kicking do the talking for him, having his best year ever in 2012. While they sure took notice in Frisco, the Browns management was blind.

Teams that have experienced football people in management understand how valuable the best kickers are...they realize the best field goal kickers "win" football games.

Teams that have inexperienced people in charge, people who do not come from a football background...they fail to understand the value a top field goal kicker brings to a team...they believe "anyone" can do it, so why not save the team a few bucks.

Well, most Browns fans realize, not ever kicker does well in the CBS stadium, especially come Nov. and Dec. This decision will likely cost the team some wins this coming season.

Management that lacks a background in football use unrealistic rules, by which they operated. Banner established a rule that operated by in Philly that players near or over 30 yrs old, should not be resigned. Obviously, Banner brought his crazy rule to Cleveland and our Flying J owner, Haslam, doesn't know enough about football or have the courage to tell his business CEO that the "30 and out" rule, needs to be canned.

In Philly, Banner used his "ludicrous rule" to get ride of some good, "veteran" football players...players that Andy Reid wanted to keep. While veteran leadership might not be a part of the game that Banner values, most teams that are consistant winners rely on their veteran leadership to help teach and lead their younger players.

Just how stupid is Banner's rule?...imagine if Ozzie Newsome operated using Banner's "30 and out" rule? The Ravens would not have won the Super Bowl with Joe Banner running their franchise. No other franchise in the NFL operated under such a rule...how did Cleveland get so lucky...with an absentee Truck Stop Owner allowing a "bean counter" to run this team?

jmho...mac

Last edited by mac; 03/24/13 08:41 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...Banner's "30 and out" rule

I understand the rationale behind it, but you need the veteran leadership. At the same time, you can't be too predominantly veteran. I do not pretend to know what the ideal mix is, but I expect it would vary depending on the team...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

1. I see a lot of praise for Dawson.
2. I see a little ??? on the FO decision as well as previous FO decision not to sign Dawson Long Term.
3. On this kids video if you look at the tree tops behind the goal post there was a pretty strong win going Right to Left.

4. Kickers is the one position that has turned to Football Players cause kids H/S n College have honed their skills. But you don't have to be Football to be good at it.

You try out many n filter out the competition. Heck I'd open it up to the Entire Northern Ohio are. WRs like that reality show for Cowboys....ehhh no. Kicker - I'd love to see us have an open Tryout drawing from across the nation. Our version of American Idol...lol

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think a rush impacts a kicker at all. His focus at the snap is at the hold and spot. He's not looking at the rushers. If it gets blocked, it gets blocked. There is no way for a kicker to hurry things up any more than they already are.

When the holder catches the ball and starts to place it the kicker takes his first stride. The ball is set on the spot and the kicker plants and then he kicks it. Very little time to change anything in the proccess.

Agreed. Any kicker worried about the rush is not a kicker.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns give tryout to "Kickalicious"

Link Copied to Clipboard