OP Offline
Legend
D

Dawg_LB #768069 03/24/13 05:09 PM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
this i sjust weird. His agent screwed up big time...but at the same time elvis said he would take a paycut....after the screw up it seems he is trying to stivk it to the broncos even though his agent is the one that messed up

slick #768070 03/24/13 05:13 PM
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

this i sjust weird. His agent screwed up big time...but at the same time elvis said he would take a paycut....after the screw up it seems he is trying to stivk it to the broncos even though his agent is the one that messed up

Really makes you wonder if it wasn't a plot to stick it to the Broncos in the first place... and if there really was a true "mistake" that occurred that wasn't on purpose.

Dawg_LB #768071 03/24/13 05:18 PM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Lame. I would have taken Dumervil over Kruger. Wonder how much he will get per year, surprised the Ravens have the cap space.

Kingcob #768072 03/24/13 05:20 PM
Rookie
Rookie
This sucks

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Kingcob #768073 03/24/13 05:27 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Lame. I would have taken Dumervil over Kruger. Wonder how much he will get per year, surprised the Ravens have the cap space.

Problem is a guy like Dumervil is used to winning and wouldn't have given Cleveland a second thought.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Dawg_LB #768074 03/24/13 06:47 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Yep.

So much for weakening the Ravens.

Rishuz #768076 03/24/13 06:57 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Yep.

flaco did a better job of that than we ever could.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
R
Legend
Legend
R
We'll see. We hear the same story every year.

As long as they have Flacco, they'll be solid.

We haven't sniffed solid in a long time.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

Not necessarily but I do hope so. A team will go nowhere without an above average QB and they locked that up for a long time. The Ravens may still be able to reload. They have Jimmy Smith for CB, Upshaw and Dumervil at OLB. Ozzie also has a good draft record that precedes him. They also signed Marcus Spears and Chris Canty.

But still, they did lose a bunch of starters this offseason. I have no clue what that team will do at ILB in their 3-4 not to mention FS & SS. They've touted some young safety but I do not recall his name.

Tackles are tackles.
Rishuz #768079 03/24/13 07:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We haven't sniffed a solid QB in that same amount of time.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

Not necessarily but I do hope so. A team will go nowhere without an above average QB and they locked that up for a long time. The Ravens may still be able to reload. They have Jimmy Smith for CB, Upshaw and Dumervil at OLB. Ozzie also has a good draft record that precedes him. They also signed Marcus Spears and Chris Canty.

But still, they did lose a bunch of starters this offseason. I have no clue what that team will do at ILB in their 3-4 not to mention FS & SS. They've touted some young safety but I do not recall his name.

If you think the Ravens locked up Flacco for a long time, then you haven't taken a look at the details of his contract. LOL

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco/

He'll be there for 2, maybe 3 years tops.

Legend
Legend
Serious question,

What has Spears and Canty ever done?

Legend
Legend
Well .... Spears has had a high of 25 tackles in the past 4 seasons ...... and has had 4.5 sacks in those same 4 seasons combines. (that's the same number of sacks that Kruger had in the post season alone last year)

IIRC, he has also battled nagging type injuries quite a bit as well. He's 30.

Canty's been OK. He's nothing special, but he's a reasonable defensive end. He's a decent signing for them. He's not a star, but he's not a bum either. He's also 30.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Serious question,

What has Spears and Canty ever done?

Both are pretty good 3-4 DEs. Spears is good vs the run, you won't ever see his game in stats

Dumervil's contract is for 5 years and "up to" 35mil....we gave Kruger more and about the same to Bryant and Ozzie lands a stud for less. Sorry to say, but he keeps owning us

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

Canty I always thought was perfect for 3-4 DE...Spears always thought he was not in the correct D. We'll see the Ravens play more the attack type 3-4 we are looking to play. All I know is we better not be down by a lot...they (Ravens) do have guys who can collectively go after the QB if they pin their ears back. I think they are in big trouble if behind n we decide to run the ball.

Any news on Grimes? And Butler who is obviously there is no news yet cause he is coming in today...but I thought Grimes was going to decide by the weekend??? Probably tough for him cause we have the best offer out there...lol unfortunately this might be Sad but True...man I hope we put that behind us n Players start thinking this as a place on THE RISE (which I think it is but then again I am a HOMER).

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

If you think the Ravens locked up Flacco for a long time, then you haven't taken a look at the details of his contract. LOL

No, they'll restructure his contract in 2-3 years. He'll be there longer than that.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

No, they'll restructure his contract in 2-3 years. He'll be there longer than that.

Unless he blows.

redddog #768087 03/25/13 11:42 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Unless he blows.

Great than will go & sign him for 5-8 years

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Your crystal ball is better than mine.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

well, what he said is standard operating procedure with QBs

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Cleveland Browns still hosting LB Victor Butler today, giving him physical

Butler (6-2, 245) first visited the Steelers and then headed to New Orleans, where the Saints were determined to sign him. But after two days, he left Friday without a deal and set up his visit with the Browns. The Saints lost out to the Browns on former Raven Paul Kruger at the start of free agency, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/03/cleveland_browns_still_hosting.html

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Butler would be a SOLID pickup.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
...depends on the money. With the money we've spend on all the backups, we could have landed 2 more strong starters

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
If we get Butler, I could see a draft day scenario of us taking Jones at 6 ad moving Sheard for a late first/early second.

People forget this FO/Staff is not tied to him, so while "seeing" if he can transition is a great idea, his value as a 4-3 DE will never be higher. The right deal may be too much to pass up.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #768094 03/25/13 02:49 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If we get Butler, I could see a draft day scenario of us taking Jones at 6 ad moving Sheard for a late first/early second.

People forget this FO/Staff is not tied to him, so while "seeing" if he can transition is a great idea, his value as a 4-3 DE will never be higher. The right deal may be too much to pass up.

I would love to sign Butler and Draft Jones, but would hate trading Sheard, but I see what your saying and would take that senerio ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would have rather signed the sure thing, Dumervil, still have a 1st and then trade Sheard

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would have rather signed the sure thing, Dumervil, still have a 1st and then trade Sheard

Who wouldn't?

You're assuming we had a chance..

If we didn't place a call to his agent, they deserve to be fired, but if the call went any other way besides, "Mr. Dumerville has a few teams in mind, but the Browns are currently not on his list" I would be surprised.

Just because we have more money doesn't mean we can sign anyone we want..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not sure about trading Sheard, but I'd rather have Dumervil than those we signed. Still, hindsight is 20/20. The real question is, would the Browns have dove into the Dumervil pool if they'd have known he would become available? that I can't answer.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
However ......

We signed Kruger to a 5 year, $41 million deal.

We had already signed DQ to a 5 year, $42.5 million deal last year.

If we had also signed Dumervil to a 5 year deal, then suddenly we are tied up in long term deals in the LB corps. Dumervil got 5 years at $35 million. Let's assume that this is what he might get here as well. Then we move to a position of having $118 million tied up in 4 LB.

Does that make sense in today's salary cap world? I don't know if it does, or if it doesn't. However, let's say that 2 years from now we have the following cap values on the "big 3" ....

Kruger $8 million
DQ: $9 million
Dumervil: $7 million

That would commit $24 million in cap dollars out of what ..... $123 million this year, so maybe a $130 million cap in 2014? That's about 18% tied up in 3 players. Does that make sense? To me it seems like it might not make sense.

I think that a mistake people make is looking at the cap room we have this year, and assuming that we will somehow have that same vast quantity of cap space going forward. We won't if we get careless with the dollars, and go on a single position spending spree. In the salary cap era, a team has to carefully decide which players it will sign, for how much, and in a situation like this where a player like Dumervil becomes available, whether he makes sense, even with his talent. Both the talent and financial sides have to make sense. It seems to me that the financial side may not have made sense in this case ..... not after we had already made moves at the OLB position.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c
Physical...good sign

too much money on back ups already...I didn't think we spent too much with Groves n Barnidge.

No offense to Sheard I would like to see if we could get a late first rounder or early 2nd??? If coach Horton thinks he is a stud I cannot wait to see Sheard be that stud then.

But this would be cool to get the one of the best TE, Safety or OG with that pick.

We'll see - lovin this FA period. Looking good. Grimes would complete it!

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
We could trade a 2019 7th round pick for Tom Brady and there would be people on here complaining for some reason...

eotab #768101 03/25/13 04:26 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Former Cowboys LB Victor Butler leaves Browns without a deal, headed to Philadelphia

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/team/1364242310-280-442/former-cowboys-lb-victor-butler.html

oops. I thought the same eo.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #768103 03/25/13 04:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Buccaneers | Not expected to add Brent Grimes
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:31:58 -0700

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not expected to sign free-agent CB Brent Grimes (Falcons).

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Oh that sounds great in theory, but didn't we sign Kruger before all of this happened with Dumervil and he became a FA?

I mean I'm pretty sure if this FO had a crystal ball and knew in advance that he would become available later, the outcome may have been different. But how could they have known this was going to happen?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #768105 03/25/13 05:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Oh that sounds great in theory, but didn't we sign Kruger before all of this happened with Dumervil and he became a FA?

I mean I'm pretty sure if this FO had a crystal ball and knew in advance that he would become available later, the outcome may have been different. But how could they have known this was going to happen?

Lets say there was a strong idea Denver was going to cut Dumerville two weeks into FA.

Had we then let Kruger go, and waited, and went after Dumerville, and he signed somewhere else, guess what, now we have nothing..

And the same people would be complaining..

ThatGuy #768106 03/25/13 05:30 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
i'd say many more people would be complaining.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

well, what he said is standard operating procedure with QBs

Uh huh.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency V

Link Copied to Clipboard