#769544 03/27/13 04:11 PM
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Released?

Colt McCoy won’t be with the Browns much longer

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT The signing of quarterback Jason Campbell will hasten a move that everyone has been expecting: The Browns will soon part ways with quarterback Colt McCoy.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that McCoy is expected to be released or traded soon.

The “or traded” part of that seems unlikely. It’s hard to see why any team would be willing to give up even a seventh-round draft pick for McCoy, knowing he’s about to be available for nothing.

Former Browns President Mike Holmgren took McCoy with a third-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft. McCoy has thrown 21 touchdowns and 20 interceptions with the Browns, who have gone 6-15 in games he started.

Campbell is expected to compete with Brandon Weeden for the starting job in Cleveland.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Or traded?

Browns still hoping they can trade Colt McCoy, not cut him

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT Shortly after today’s report that Colt McCoy would soon be on the way out of Cleveland, the Browns tried to get out the word that McCoy can only be acquired via a trade.

NFL Network reported, citing Browns sources, said the team has no immediate plans to cut McCoy, but that the Browns are open to trading him.

Obviously, if you’re an NFL general manager who’s hoping to trade a player, you don’t want your potential trade partners to think that player will soon be available for nothing, so it’s easy to understand why the Browns want to put out the word that the way to acquire McCoy is via a trade.

But it’s harder to see why any team would trade for McCoy. He simply hasn’t been good enough in his three NFL seasons for it to make sense for a team to give up a player or a draft pick to acquire him.

So the Browns will probably cut McCoy. Even if they’re going to take their time about it.

Legend
Legend
::sigh::

they should have been trying to trade him BEFORE signing whatshisname.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
All that would have done is drive up Campbell's price.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #769548 03/27/13 04:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Not necessarily. In fact, not likely at all, IMO.

Campbell isn't all that, and it's not like trading McCoy would make us suddenly desperate for a QB.

Browns is the Browns

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
The Browns didn't just suddenly fax Campbell's agent a contract in the middle of the night. They'd been talking for a while. If they dump McCoy the agents are going to ask for more.

Really we gotta face facts about McCoy and his $2.3 million dollar salary: Nobody was going to trade for him when better guys were still out there to be had for free. Better to take the bird-in-the-hand in Campbell instead of risking losing him all in the hopes we'll get a 6th round pick for McCoy.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #769550 03/27/13 04:29 PM
Legend
Legend
The only reasons that Campbell signed here was that he could compete for the starting job, and he got a nice paycheck ..... almost certainly more than he would have made elsewhere.

I bet that it made no difference whatsoever whether or not Colt McCoy was on the roster or not. McCoy was a non-factor in his decision ...... and whether he was here or not probably never even entered his mind. His agents had to know that Campbell's arrival spelled the end for one of the Browns QBs ... and if he was coming in to compete with Weeden ..... then McCoy would be the one to go.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
OverToad #769551 03/27/13 04:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns didn't just suddenly fax Campbell's agent a contract in the middle of the night. They'd been talking for a while. If they dump McCoy the agents are going to ask for more.

Uh, huh...... ummmm, let them ask. We are allowed to laugh at them, you know. It's not like we were dying to sign him and other teams were beating down his door. Trading Colt McCoy doesn't suddenly give them oodle of leverage on us.... hell, it doesn't give them ANY leverage.

Quote:

Really we gotta face facts about McCoy and his $2.3 million dollar salary: Nobody was going to trade for him when better guys were still out there to be had for free. Better to take the bird-in-the-hand in Campbell instead of risking losing him all in the hopes we'll get a 6th round pick for McCoy.

I don't care at all about McCoy... but the time to trade him was before we signed Campbell. He was worth next to nothing when people didn't know we were going to cut him. His value now is below zero.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Colt soon to be released, as there isn't another team stupid enough to even grant a 7th round pick for him. Especially since he'll be released soon and then can be picked up for next-to-nothing.

Ah well, it was kind of a crappy ride Colt was put in. Would have liked to seen him behind the protection that Weeden's line gave Brandon. No hard feelings on my end with you Colt, and I wish you the best "when" you do get released.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Speculation by Bozo's cause of the new signing n the 2+ mil Colt has made due to meeting contract stuff. Maybe it was told to these Sports Journalists... ::cough::

I think not only cause if it was leaked that person should be FIRED. Cause you don't trade somebody by stating if we can't trade him we will Release him - Like somebody will not just wait for him to be released n offer 1 mil less then the current contract n probably Win the FA auction. It could happen Release but only way to get a trade is if we go n renegotiate the contract n extend it. Showing all we have no intentions of releasing him.

But this If we cannot trade him we will release him??? That pretty much is the dumbest way to trade a player especially with this circumstances of 2013 Contract.

Just release him if we do not want him...
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Jason Campbell is 31 years old and hanging onto a 2 year deal. We need a backup quarterback that is it.

Brandon Weeden was a wasted pick by the Browns organization a year ago. Instead of fortifying the line or picking up a legit FS or even a linebacker like Hightower, they pick up a 30 year old baseball player that looked like a deer in the headlights all season long. He's staring down recievers, can't complete simple throws yet everybody heralds him the second coming because he has a "big arm", the problem is it's attached to a little brain and a giagantic ego. The old dog won't learn new tricks and gets trapped under the dang flag... what an embarrassing pick this has turned out to be. On top of it all it's stunted and ruined the image of our young up-n-coming star Colt McCoy.

It going to come down to Colt vs. Weeden for the starter and Campbell backing him up. The other will be relegated to 3rd string to push out Thaddius Lewis as he contributes NOTHING to the equation. The good news for Weeden supporters is that atleast he'll be able to collect social security while watching Colt light it up for the next 8 years.

I'll take a high energy, mobile and accurate McCoy over a slothic, dull, uninspiring red-headed scarecrow 10 out of 10 times.

PoeticG #769555 03/27/13 04:57 PM
Legend
Legend
I'll give you mobile with McCoy ...... unfortunately, he often managed to run himself into sacks.

He does not see the field well at all. He cannot throw against much of anything except a soft zone. He is not accurate, and sucks at leading a receiver to the open spot. He is a hero against prevent defenses late in lost games. If a team plays pressure/man, he's lost.

Other than those factors, I like him just fine.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

PoeticG #769556 03/27/13 05:00 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Not just replying to you....but to all the posters intent on posting what you just posted...I think this sums my thoughts up on all the hold out Colt supporters well.

[Linked Image]
PoeticG #769557 03/27/13 05:06 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Jason Campbell is 31 years old and hanging onto a 2 year deal. We need a backup quarterback that is it.

Brandon Weeden was a wasted pick by the Browns organization a year ago. Instead of fortifying the line or picking up a legit FS or even a linebacker like Hightower, they pick up a 30 year old baseball player that looked like a deer in the headlights all season long. He's staring down recievers, can't complete simple throws yet everybody heralds him the second coming because he has a "big arm", the problem is it's attached to a little brain and a giagantic ego. The old dog won't learn new tricks and gets trapped under the dang flag... what an embarrassing pick this has turned out to be. On top of it all it's stunted and ruined the image of our young up-n-coming star Colt McCoy.

It going to come down to Colt vs. Weeden for the starter and Campbell backing him up. The other will be relegated to 3rd string to push out Thaddius Lewis as he contributes NOTHING to the equation. The good news for Weeden supporters is that atleast he'll be able to collect social security while watching Colt light it up for the next 8 years.

I'll take a high energy, mobile and accurate McCoy over a slothic, dull, uninspiring red-headed scarecrow 10 out of 10 times.

Really I am a Mccoy backer and I will tell you Weeden is a better NFL QB than Colt, Bigger, Stronger Arm and he was stuck in an offense that did not do him any favors, he was like a square peg being forced into a round hole, and you forget just because of his age he was a rookie ... I think he will be alot better with his time in the league and I for one am looking forward to seeing him step it up this year ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

I'll give you mobile with McCoy ...... unfortunately, he often managed to run himself into sacks.

He does not see the field well at all. He cannot throw against much of anything except a soft zone. He is not accurate, and sucks at leading a receiver to the open spot. He is a hero against prevent defenses late in lost games. If a team plays pressure/man, he's lost.

Other than those factors, I like him just fine.

Well my friend, the reason he struggled against man coverage was two fold and none of it had to do with McCoy. First the line must hold up long enough for him to LOOK down the field, and second the receivers must TRY to get open, which while Colt was in there he had Robo and Momass... or maybe you're talking about the time the receivers lead the league in DROPS? These all factors contribute to turning Colt into the fall guy. It's completely biased and unfair to asses his talent from that body of work. He's a heck of a QB if you help him out, even just a little. I believe his runningback was a practice squad player from the texans as well. Talk about having the deck stacked AGAINST you, even Peyton wouldn't have succeeded in that situation. Gotta help him out some, with the team that we could put around him now, you'd see a whole new guy IMO. I guess we're gonna find out soon enough, one way or the other.

Last edited by PoeticG; 03/27/13 05:08 PM.
PoeticG #769559 03/27/13 05:10 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

none of it had to do with McCoy

#gmstrong
PoeticG #769560 03/27/13 05:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Wow.

How's the weather in your world?

PoeticG #769561 03/27/13 05:19 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Bonehead move if you ask me, but hey if it translates to winning consistently I'll be happy. The new FO must think highly of that crap offense Shurmur ran to have their minds made up with the current QB's prior to even working with them.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Quote:

It's funny that you laugh all the while ignoring the FACTS that were stated in reference to that statement. It's funny because while you're laughing, I'm laughing right back at you being oblivious to how football works. A big arm does not a QB make, maybe it helps if you're a baseball pitcher but this ain't baseball. Intelligence is required to play QB, look no further than DA, Jamarcus Russel or any of the other big armed QBs that can throw hard.

BTW- There's this kid down the block throws a really hard, fast football a long ways but he has difficulty tying his shoes, maybe we should bring him in. Is this the train of thought of your thinking? For me personally, no thanks. I don't care how hard you can throw you can't throw through people, and even if you could, I doubt it's legal.

PoeticG #769563 03/27/13 05:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Go watch a replay of the Super Bowl, when they are talking about the 2 QBs. They don't talk about their exceptional running ability .... they raved about both QBs ability to make all of the throws on a rope ...... to hit tiny windows ....... and to get the ball t the receiver immediately, as opposed to lofting it in to them so the defense had a chance to react.

That is the antithesis of Colt McCoy's game. He lobs passes short, slow, and late. If McCoy starts another NFL game anywhere .... except for an injury situation ... I'll be shocked.

2nd String
2nd String
If McCoy is gone, I bet he ends up with the Cards, Packers, or the Jets.

Dawg_LB #769565 03/27/13 06:08 PM
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Quote:

Ah well, it was kind of a crappy ride Colt was put in. Would have liked to seen him behind the protection that Weeden's line gave Brandon

Name one Browns QB that hasn't gotten screwed at least a little bit by the Browns since the return?

Every new QB, shows some promise at first, gets the HC fired, starts over again and then gets a new QB, trade/release the previous QB. Haven't we seen this cycle already?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

Ah well, it was kind of a crappy ride Colt was put in. Would have liked to seen him behind the protection that Weeden's line gave Brandon

Name one Browns QB that hasn't gotten screwed at least a little bit by the Browns since the return?

Every new QB, shows some promise at first, gets the HC fired, starts over again and then gets a new QB, trade/release the previous QB. Haven't we seen this cycle already?

Yeah no doubt. Pretty darn pathetic when you think about it.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Quote:

Yep and it's insanity to continue doing the same exact things!

I was under the impression last season that before the draft most everyone in the Orange and Brown was under the impression that giving Colt another year with an improved team around him would be the way to go. Shore up the OLine, pick up some better wide receivers and get a legitimate runningback- We did this but yet picked up a 30 year old rookie and put Colt on the backburner. What don't you guys get? Give him a chance with said improvements and we'll see a better record, a better team and a better McCoy, it's that simple. But Nooo, that would be too easy, and we never take that route.

PoeticG #769568 03/27/13 06:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was under the impression last season that before the draft most everyone in the Orange and Brown was under the impression that giving Colt another year with an improved team around him would be the way to go. Shore up the OLine, pick up some better wide receivers and get a legitimate runningback- We did this but yet picked up a 30 year old rookie and put Colt on the backburner. What don't you guys get? Give him a chance with said improvements and we'll see a better record, a better team and a better McCoy, it's that simple. But Nooo, that would be too easy, and we never take that route.

water under the bridge and onto another starting QB in Browns expansion. That's what we specialize in since '99

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
PoeticG #769569 03/27/13 06:38 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Relax, whether we agree or not with what this FO is doing, we'll just have to accept it. This is just the beginning of the most recent QB carousel. They won't stick with any of them for too long, and the one they do stick with will be drafted.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Repeatedly. We had a prototypical QB with Couch and he was forced to play due to injuries and a pathetic team. He progressed from 2 wins to 3, then to 7 and finally 9 with a playoff berth only to be replaced by a HC succumbing to calls from Browns fans.

It's been a succession of comedic errors since. This signing tells me two things.

1. Brandon Weeden isn't the guy that'll lead this team in the future. The team has essentially said so by bringing in someone even closer to retirement than Weeden to compete for the starting job on just a two-year contract.

2. The Browns could either look at McCoy (yeah, yeah - I know, the popular view is that McCoy will be gone) to be the QB and that Weeden is the one that'll be traded. Weeden is thought to be the one that would bring the Browns more in a trade (I'm not exactly sure why), but that's the popular belief and it's been indicated that offers for either McCoy or Weeden would be considered.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Considering we have tons of cap space still AND we ended up using all 3 QB's last season I see absolutely no reason to release Colt or Weeden. Let all three of them fight it out in camp and let the best QB win.

Yeah none of the QB's we have on our roster is a joe flacco caliber QB but there isn't one in FA or in the draft so just suck it up and move on. We have the best QB's we could get so lets move on. I'd rather have 3 decent QB's than just 2 any day.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Considering we have tons of cap space still AND we ended up using all 3 QB's last season I see absolutely no reason to release Colt or Weeden. Let all three of them fight it out in camp and let the best QB win.

Yeah none of the QB's we have on our roster is a joe flacco caliber QB but there isn't one in FA or in the draft so just suck it up and move on. We have the best QB's we could get so lets move on. I'd rather have 3 decent QB's than just 2 any day.

This^! Isn't this what Paul Brown used to do during practice, we need to get back to that.

OverToad #769573 03/27/13 07:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The only place I see him fitting in is New Orleans. Just a guess on my part.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
PoeticG #769574 03/27/13 07:56 PM
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I don't know why anyone is so sure McCoy is on the way out and that Weeden is a shoe in starter. He had one of the best OLs in the NFL last year with tons of time to throw the ball only to hold on to it too long or miss open receivers. I only wondered what other QBs could have done with that much line protection. What has Weeden done to convince so many he is the best option we have? I know Shumur did not run the right offense but it does not change the fact of the ample time our OL gave Weeden to throw the ball. I felt his numbers should have been better. As far as McCoy I am one who would have like to seen what he could have done with last years team. I also wondered how Weeden would have done on the 2011 team which would be worse on a QB who can't roll out of the pocket. My opinion is Campbell will start because of his arm strength combined with his escapability to run a couple of yards for a first down when the pocket collapse. He also can read a defense. Also the new FO did not bring Weeden in and have no loyalties to him. I also don't think they would be paying Campbell over 2 Mil for two seasons if they were not planning on making him the starter. Last year the job was handed to Weeden with no competition, you might see the same handed to Campbell with no comp. Just my opinion.

topdog #769575 03/27/13 08:10 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
"I also don't think they would be paying Campbell over 2 Mil for two seasons if they were not planning on making him the starter"

just wonder where you got that from?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Unless McCoy and Campbell have the same agent, there's no reason a trade of McCoy couldn't have been made simultaneously with the contract negotiations with Campbell. Neither camp needed to know what was going on in the other. Instead we're left with someone in the organization saying "if we can't trade him, we'll release him.". Guess what happens when you say that? Right, they just wait 'til you release him, and you get donut-hole for a guy you spent a 3rd round pick on.

Anyhoo, all the best to McCoy. Hope he gets a chance to go understudy Brees in New Orleans.

Dave #769577 03/27/13 08:55 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Colt McCoy doesn't have any trade value.

Haus #769578 03/27/13 09:10 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not now. I think he did before this. No one is giving up anything for him now that they know they just need to wait for his release. Just to be clear, I don't think he's a good fit in what we are told will be a "vertical" offense. I do think he could fit well in some other offensive schemes. I still think he has some ability.

Dave #769579 03/27/13 09:31 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The old regime liked Colt McCoy so much they spent a 1st round pick on a 29 year old baseball player, and Colt was supposedly a better fit for that offense.

New regime comes in headlined by hard-nosed Joe Banner, in a weirdly tight free agency market, Chud runs a vertical offense..... it wasn't much of a stretch to assume that McCoy wasn't in this regime's plans.

I think Colt McCoy is a hard worker and you're right he does fit some other offenses. He should catch on somewhere else, but I really really doubt anybody is going to pay him $2.3million let alone give up a pick or player to do so.

PoeticG #769580 03/27/13 11:07 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
laughing because you think that absolutely none of it was Colt's fault. it was "this wasn't perfect" and "that wasn't perfect"

well, it's football. things aren't perfect. especially for this team. it's been shown on here how Colt padded his stats in '11 w/ a big portion of his stats coming down 2 scores in the 2nd half (aka soft defense). Like Carson Palmer last year.

plus, Colt did get a shot last year. he went for 4.6YPA, was inaccurate, and got hurt in a blowout loss.

Weeden isn't perfect by any means. He might never become an average NFL starter. He definitely has to get better at the deep ball (when to throw and accuracy on them), but he looked much better than Colt did and I have much more faith in him becoming that QB than McCoy.

#gmstrong
PoeticG #769581 03/27/13 11:31 PM
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's funny that you laugh all the while ignoring the FACTS that were stated in reference to that statement. It's funny because while you're laughing, I'm laughing right back at you being oblivious to how football works. A big arm does not a QB make, maybe it helps if you're a baseball pitcher but this ain't baseball. Intelligence is required to play QB, look no further than DA, Jamarcus Russel or any of the other big armed QBs that can throw hard.

BTW- There's this kid down the block throws a really hard, fast football a long ways but he has difficulty tying his shoes, maybe we should bring him in. Is this the train of thought of your thinking? For me personally, no thanks. I don't care how hard you can throw you can't throw through people, and even if you could, I doubt it's legal.

You are either related to Colt or seriously delusional. I suppose it could be both. You are right a big arm isn't all a quality QB needs. It damn sure helps in the NFL though. If Colt was even half as good as you constantly allude to another team would have already traded for him. Its simple hes not that good.

I give you hes a tough kid, a good kid, a competitor etc etc. but that alone doesn't make a good QB either. I wish him luck and hope he finds a spot on a WC team somewhere.

PoeticG #769582 03/28/13 07:46 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

we'll see a better record, a better team and a better McCoy, it's that simple.

Cue Don Meredith: Turn out the lights, the party's over!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Weeden isn't perfect by any means. He might never become an average NFL starter. He definitely has to get better at the deep ball (when to throw and accuracy on them), but he looked much better than Colt did and I have much more faith in him becoming that QB than McCoy.

Really? How so? Was it because his balls sailed over the heads and at the feet faster than McCoy's? Was it all those quick decisions he made? His great vision of the field? His mobility? His gutty style? His work ethic? His late-game comebacks? His "it" factor? That amazing pocket presence? Were his numbers that much better than McCoy's? Heck, were they even better at all? Was it the win total? Was it because Weeden played w/inferior talent compared to Colt?

Y'all can mock that Poetic guy, and he does deserve to get mocked a bit, but don't act like you are the voice of reason when you say junk like Weeden looked much better than Colt ever did. Sorry, my man----but I watched the games. Weeden sucked big-time!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Colt McCoy...

Link Copied to Clipboard