Print Thread
#771897 04/03/13 10:22 AM
A
Arps Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Im looking for some suggestions for day motorcycle trips in North Western Ohio. I am looking for odd, historic, interesting things to stop and see not the typical touristy places. I figure someone on here has to know of some interesting stuff to see. Bonus points for links, directions, or pictures. If its near where you live, maybe we can meet up for a beer or lunch.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Im looking for some suggestions for day motorcycle trips in North Western Ohio. I am looking for odd, historic, interesting things to stop and see not the typical touristy places. I figure someone on here has to know of some interesting stuff to see. Bonus points for links, directions, or pictures. If its near where you live, maybe we can meet up for a beer or lunch.

Does it have to be in NW Ohio.. or just in Ohio,.

One place I'd highly recommend is the old Mansfield Reformatory. Creepy place. Great to go there with a group of friends.. Nice day ride from just about anywhere in Ohio.

If you want some twisty roads, I'd go on the Triple Nickle south of Columbus. Fun trip. Kinda like a smaller Tail of the Dragon.. Lots of turns.

Hell of a ride in a sports car, I bet it would be fun on a cycle as well.

Out East here my car club does the Covered Bridges run. There are a bunch of them out here.

Hope that gives you some good ideas

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I wasn't aware there were any "typical touristy places" in NW Ohio.

I've spent quite a bit of time in that area on my bike (09 HD FXDB).

From Sandusky to Toledo there's a lot of coastline to explore. Cedar Point area (not the park itself), Sandusky Bay, Lakeside/Marblehead, Catawba Island, Put N' Bay, Kelly's Island, East Harbour State Park, Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, Crane Creek State Park, and the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. All nice things to get lost in.

I really enjoyed just riding on Route 2. A tree-lined highway that I'll ride from Cleveland to Toledo. It will take you through farms, to trees to the lake. As you know, the further you get from the coast, the flatter, boring and plain the ride becomes.

Aside from that, you have Toledo, Detroit and Windsor. All nice places to grab a bite and ride through. But maybe that's not what you're looking for.

My Dad and I did our annual motorcycle trip through Michigan last year. We just got on our bikes and rode. When it got dark, we found a hotel. We had no plans on where we were going. Good times, good times.

Where are you starting from?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Arps Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
I live in Middlebury Indiana, and am looking for 2-3 hours out, then 2-3 hours back type stuff as my wife isnt too keen on my staying at a hotel w/o her. Until the kids are older I'm stuck with day trips.

I did a ton of riding in Michigan last summer, would like to explore Ohio some this year. Ive been to Sandusky, Toledo, Cedar Point, Bass Islands, and most of those places that you get the little fliers from rest stops.

A
Arps Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

One place I'd highly recommend is the old Mansfield Reformatory. Creepy place. Great to go there with a group of friends.. Nice day ride from just about anywhere in Ohio.

If you want some twisty roads, I'd go on the Triple Nickle south of Columbus. Fun trip. Kinda like a smaller Tail of the Dragon.. Lots of turns.

Out East here my car club does the Covered Bridges run. There are a bunch of them out here.

Thank you. I will be for sure hitting the Mansfield Reformatory.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you. I will be for sure hitting the Mansfield Reformatory.

we were lucky, a friend of one of my car club members is a tour guide so we got to see things that you won't see on the regular tour..

Like I said, VERY creepy.. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Some of the history in that place is down right crazy.

I wasn't aware that some of the movie Shawshank redemption was filmed there. same with a scene from the Harrison Ford movie, Air Force One.

There are areas outside that they don't want you taking pictures of.. like out back looking at the new prison behind the one you are touring. But we got to do that.. Pretty cool but like I said, creepy is the word.

Make sure you see "ole Sparky" the electric chair..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you go up around the lake there are some pretty nice rides along the lakefront, but for the most part western Ohio is a pretty boring place to ride. Unless you want to see miles and miles of flat farmland.

If you come farther East, right West of Cleveland, around North Ridgeville RT87 comes in. I used to love to get on RT 87 and just head south. Just a nice mix of open land, and little towns. Once you get a little farther south you get into the foothills of the Adirondacks and it is nice and hilly and twisty and a lot of wild life areas. A lot of it is still very heavily wooded.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
In NW Ohio, downtown Perrysburg and Maumee are great places to visit. Amazing cigar shop in downtown Maumee and the scenery in those places is pretty cool...would make for a good motorcycle ride.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
http://roarontheshore.com/

Here is a great motorcycle rally in Erie PA to look at, tons of activities and the band from "Full Throtle" in Sturgis.

GO BROWNS!
A
Legend
Legend
A
Are you looking to ride somewhere, then spend a few hours at a "historical" place? Or is it more of a "I want to ride and see scenery as I'm riding on cool roads" kind of thing?

A
Arps Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

http://roarontheshore.com/

Here is a great motorcycle rally in Erie PA to look at, tons of activities and the band from "Full Throtle" in Sturgis.

Grew up in Erie, and have no desire to ride all the way there to park for 2 days and drink beer.

A
Arps Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Are you looking to ride somewhere, then spend a few hours at a "historical" place? Or is it more of a "I want to ride and see scenery as I'm riding on cool roads" kind of thing?

Historical stuff, odd ball stuff, stuff that may not come up on google unless I knew exactly what I was looking for.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Tossing ideas out, take them or leave them. (and this is a "localized" thing - around my area - I can't speak for other areas)

Sauder Village. A place you would/could spend the whole day at. A "museum" if you will, about what life was like around here back during the Black Swamp days. Out doors kind of thing for the most part. The "village" is a mish mash of all kinds of things. They also have a true museum (in the generally accepted meaning)......of all kinds of historic things, from cars, to farm machinery, tools, the "council oak", all kinds of things.

Getting to Sauder Village is easy - from Middlebury (where my brother lives), 90 minutes, tops - probably more like 75 minutes. But, to appreciate it, it would be kind of a time consumer.

Mom's Diner. Surely not a travel destination for anyone, but if you're in town, neat place to eat. Think retro. 60's diner kind of place. Good atmosphere, great food (pizza, burgers, subs, most days a buffet if that's your wish)......but again, it is not a travel destination by any means.

If the "ride" is more what you want, scenery, etc.....cruise along the Maumee river. Start in Defiance. 424 is the road. Nice, 2 lane road, has some curves, tree covered in many areas, and great views of the river. Heading east, you come to Grand Rapids Ohio - quaint little village on the river. Several things to do there if you desire. Plenty of roadside "parks" if you will, along the way also. Nice drive along the river...but check an updated map. S.R. 24 got changed/re-made. You don't want to cruise on that road. Nice enough road, but it's called the "Fort to Port" (ft. wayne to port clinton) Great for speed, has no scenery, or anything.

Eh, just tossing things out. Have any questions, ask. Not what you're looking for, no problem.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
It might be a bit too far, roughly 40 miles north of columbus, but you could go to the G & R in Waldo for the world's greatest fried bologna sandwich.

If you're into that sort of thing.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Barberton chicken is a regional thing you may want to check out if you've never had it. People rave about it. (Akron area)

Just realized Akron is NE ohio

As a foodie sidenote. Anyone traveling into Indiana should try sugar cream pie, persimmon pudding, pork tenderloin sandwich, or a brain sandwich (for the brave).

(and anyone going to cinci needs to get Cincinnati chili)

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

If the "ride" is more what you want, scenery, etc.....cruise along the Maumee river. Start in Defiance. 424 is the road. Nice, 2 lane road, has some curves, tree covered in many areas, and great views of the river. Heading east, you come to Grand Rapids Ohio - quaint little village on the river. Several things to do there if you desire. Plenty of roadside "parks" if you will, along the way also. Nice drive along the river...but check an updated map. S.R. 24 got changed/re-made. You don't want to cruise on that road. Nice enough road, but it's called the "Fort to Port" (ft. wayne to port clinton) Great for speed, has no scenery, or anything.

I grew up in Grand Rapids. Glad to have left but it is a cute old historic town. There's the Ludwig Mill on the canals that you can tour. Built in 1822.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Re...apids_Ohio.html
If you hop off highway 24 and cross the river into Grand Rapids, River Road on the opposite bank from the highway is a great curvy, tree lined, hilly road that'll lead you into Perrysburg. There you can visit Fort Meigs an old wooden fort and museum site from the War of 1812.
http://www.fortmeigs.org/

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
In October Grand Rapids has The Applebutter Festival. Basically a town of a couple thousand gets over run by tens of thousands of outsiders. A logistical nightmare if you live there and have to come and go over the weekend but a good time in general. Historical reinactments, crafts, artists, and the best applebutter you've ever eaten. Period. Made over open wood fires, in massive copper pots, in the oldest of fashions. It's worth it's weight in gold.
http://www.applebutterfest.org/

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'll also vouch for the Maumee river ride...from Fort Meigs all the way to Fort Wayne. It's even a fantastic night ride, but you'll be picking bugs out of your teeth. 64 on the other side of the river is also a good ride.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'll also vouch for the Maumee river ride...from Fort Meigs all the way to Fort Wayne. It's even a fantastic night ride, but you'll be picking bugs out of your teeth. 64 on the other side of the river is also a good ride.

The historical Battlefield at Fallen Timbers is also pretty cool

B
Legend
Legend
B

If you are a riders, the Dragon is the place. In a car it is pretty cool. [youtube]v/K16YnmJN0fc[/youtube]

Last edited by Ballpeen; 04/03/13 06:35 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess I am slipping.....is there a secret to posting a youtube?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I've had problems posting YouTube videos at times too. Especially if I try to go back and edit the post. That seems to make it worse for some reason. Best to delete the entire thing and start over I've found.

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
I was hoping some people more familiar with that river ride would chime in with some more details. Thanks, to you, and Portland.

A
Arps Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Thanks everyone!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you get a chance to travel a little longer, come over to Mid Ohio raceway for vintage motorcycle weekend. Tons of cool old bikes, huge swap meet, vintage racing on the track, and there are rides coming in and out constantly. You just join in when you want. If you enjoyed riding Michigan, especially the Irish Hills area, you will love this part of central Ohio. Very lush and green, and a lot of nice gentle hills and good riding.

KING

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
the best applebutter you've ever eaten

Amen to that...The Best Applebutter in the world. and excellent kettle corn also. I dont like crowds, and there is a crowd, but we go every year, enjoy it

If you go you have to stop by the Ice cream shop by the bridge and get a pumpkin shake....wow...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
Arps Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
LOL, no thanks. My high speed days are behind me. Im a cruiser now.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Try this one............with a helmet of course.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/video-moscow-motorcyclists-crazy-high-speed-commute/#continued

wow, I bet that was KW2 driving that thing right? LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
I grew up in NW Ohio (Tiffin). If you're in the area, I'd HIGHLY suggest eating at the New Riegel Cafe in New Riegel, OH. They're famous for their ribs (and the fries soaked in the rib sauce) I've travelled quite a bit and live in SC now.. so I've had plenty of BBQ. This is like no other sauce I've had in any other restaurant. People drive hours to eat here. There isn't much else in New Riegel. But Tiffin and Findlay both have a few historical spots here and there. The Pioneer Mill (restaurant and bar in a really old grain mill complete with an old water wheel) and the Ritz Theater are interesting stops in Tiffin. And speaking of mills, there is the "Old Mill Stream Byway". The song was written along the Blanchard River in Findlay.
http://www.hancockparks.com/portals/17/archive/pdf/HPD-ScenicByway.pdf

Last edited by bradmss; 04/04/13 03:29 PM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... North Western Ohio?

Link Copied to Clipboard