Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe you should start a topic on those points Vers?

This topic is "Team needs". Sorry that it disturbs you so much that people are discussing the topic at hand in the thread that is that very topic.

From everything I do know about message boards, isn't that what we're supposed to do in a topic? Discuss what the topic is about?

In this case, it just so happens I have been discussing that very thing and how it could have been avoided.

But hey, it seems you wish to have some new message board genre'? Refuse to discuss the topic of a thread?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
et tu Clevesteve...lol

You're right I should have put JMHO...which I normally do simply because that is what it is...my bad.

I try to go back to times before the DRAFT SMOKE N MIRROR STUFF Start.

There was a story written by our Staff Writers (when I say "OUR" I mean Browns) shortly after Jon Embree was hired as our TE Coach. That he has turned Chud onto his former TE in Colorado n Chud is very excited about what he is seeing. There was more to the article this was the jist of it that I came away with after reading.

About a month later I started to read about Other Teams becoming Hot on Kasa...so on n so on...which I sort of was like...well I guess we can't steal this guy in the 6th or something???

Of course then the Combine came n went n who knows what regarding what is said n quoted.

That is the premise of my We are targeting KASA.

Am I in the know. Not at all nor do I pretend to be.

I do have to on this board defend/explain/go into detail on anything I state.

While I did not see one on some Board Wannabee GM regarding his detailed criticism of a player as if its the TRUTH

But ok ET TU Clevesteve...my back is to ya...go ahead STAB ME...

Am I an NFL Scout or in the FO? nope... Is anyone here an NFL SCOUT for us to believe their Criticism of technique??? I trust only my own...some I trust more than others. Some might make me re look at what I thought my eyes showed me.

But you are correct...I don't BELIEVE in DJ's evaluations unless I look at the same film n come away with the same evaluations. Also what film? 2011 stuff or 2012???

What about any Bowl Film or East West/Senior Bowl...any current stuff to make evaluations.

True - I was expounding on my own opinion regarding Targeting. And I never stated that was THE TE ONLY that we were targeting. If I made it seem that way then a MY BAD.

But Logically without having me see "FILM" and playing GM I simply read n remember - some I just throw out n will not remember cause it wasn't that important...some I bank cause it struck me as odd. Kasa was one of the ones I got a sense of SINCERITY from things stated about him as a prospect n how we liked him.

But I understand I must be held on a higher scale than others when I state something on this board. At this point I must refrain from stating a slew of 4 letter words...thank goodness I take multiple medication that dull my emotions n temper...lol

But excuse me for exclaiming a TRUE THOUGHT on a FORUM Completely Comprised of PURE SPECULATION REGARDING THE DRAFT. I'll be more careful next time.

Of course I won't share diddly with ya n leave ya in your own Ignorance...see time for another pill as its wearing off.

I see Vers has a post...I'll read what he has to say then get off Your Web Site.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Seriously, is there ANYONE out there that would like to discuss the possibilities of which guys will be playing more in certain fronts?

Well no detailed discussion from me...cause I won't be able to prove anything so why bother.

But I'd like to leave the board with this little tidbit of information n let them figure it out.

When Mangini gave one of his first pressers. And I n so many in the NFL respect Mangini for his knowledge...ooops sorry that must be a lie cause I got no proof. So Mangini knows something - we'll leave it at that.

He was asked about 3-4 or 4-3 what he would run. He started to talk about Multiple Fronts as if it was a wave of something to come Back in winter of 09. He was asked why 3-4 n not 4-3 he stated only personnel wise. You can do more with LB types rather than traditional 4-3 guys. In the sense of different looks.

In other words a kid that might be considered a DE for a 4-3...which in these days n age of many many teams running a 3-4 just means they don't have the skill set to be a LB. Example all those DEs who didn't go n work out with LB drills at the Combine...we can consider them to be strictly 3 point LOS players. While them who went on to work out in LB skill drills can be considered (or not pending on their drills n evaluators) as a LB would be also a good prospect for a 3-4 team as well as 4-3 hand on the ground DE.

Who will be playing in certain fronts. Oh I can right a book started too n it would be way too long...maybe at a later date when I am in a better mood.

Back to Mangini - He stated the reason he COVETS the 3-4 was in the Personnel of Impact being in the LBs who are more versatile. I would say like Kruger who we just go. To be able to play Both DE or LB heck in passing downs n we got guys studding at pass rushing from LB positions we might even see Kruger at the NT??? My point is Versatility...Where as a guy like Freeney a hands down DE who did try LB last season and I say "TRY" just doesn't have that VERSATILITY needed for Multiple fronts.

So we got Kruger n we got Sheard...Also why I personally covet Ansah for us!

These are the guys who will play most in different fronts while the DL types Rubin, Taylor, Bryant, Hughes, Winn, etc. will be regulated strictly to the 1st tier of defense.

Also on that note n thought process of Mangini's - probably the best defensive years from the PATS...had all 4 starting LBs converted from college DE positions!

JMHO I will now have to put a DISCLAIMER...DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING I STATE AS THE TRUTH...It is all guessing and should not be Valued as anything close to the truth.

Later dawgs.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So who's to say that this guy can't do something or even that he can.

Which, unlike someone's opinion seems to dictate, is the entire question. People wish to discuss what said player will be doing or how they will be lined up when we have no idea whether they can or can not fit in this D.

There are just far more questions than answers at this point.

Sure there are questions, but questioning and making a statement that this guy can't do this or that,, I don't know, to me it sounds kinda dumb.. let them test it.

On a side note, Mary Kay Cabot in her "Hey Mary Kay" column today said that she things the Browns would be willing to trade Sheard... FWIW

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually feel if anyone from the current group of last years players has the best chance of making the switch to the 3-4 it's Sheard.

As I said, there's far more questions than answers and there's no guarantee that Sheard will make the transition, but I do like his odds.

I just find it odd that a poster wishes to take a thread titled "Team Needs" and voice such strong opposition to people discussing the topic title.

Then wishing to change the topic in mid stream. I think his points are worth discussing in a thread that addresses that.

But trying to dissuade and belittle people for actually following the topic of a thread? More than a little strange, wouldn't you say?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I actually feel if anyone from the current group of last years players has the best chance of making the switch to the 3-4 it's Sheard.

As I said, there's far more questions than answers and there's no guarantee that Sheard will make the transition, but I do like his odds.

I just find it odd that a poster wishes to take a thread titled "Team Needs" and voice such strong opposition to people discussing the topic title.

Then wishing to change the topic in mid stream. I think his points are worth discussing in a thread that addresses that.

But trying to dissuade and belittle people for actually following the topic of a thread? More than a little strange, wouldn't you say?

Maybe, I just get a little tired of the so called "know it alls" telling us that this guy can't do something. Discuss, sure, but getting into battles over isomething that is yet to be determined, to me, that's what's strange, wouldn't you say?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know. The FA signing period has pretty much gone by. We saw little of any attempt to address either the huge hole at S or CB.

That was my main contention in all of this. You know, team needs? So at this juncture, a lot of pretty suitable CB's went signed at well below what the market value has been in past years.

Now we are dependent strictly in the draft to shore up our secondary. As it stands, that will be a first rounder and a third rounder. ( At best )

Now that is where we stand and that is the topic of the thread. I didn't post this topic. And I would suggest that if people don't like the topic, maybe they should steer clear of it rather than to jump into it and have some rant about it.

I guess we could all just sit back and ignore obvious holes we have now and maybe everyone should just ignore it because some simply don't wish to hear it. But that is where we are in terms of our secondary at this juncture.

I think that pretty much sums up the question and subject of the thread title.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I guess we could all just sit back and ignore obvious holes we have now and maybe everyone should just ignore it because some simply don't wish to hear it. But that is where we are in terms of our secondary at this juncture.

Well, let's see, We still have more time for FA signings and Trades. (in the last 10 days we signed a WR, traded a QB for picks and traded a LB for a RB) We still have the draft, we still have UDFA's, and we still have the cutdowns.

My guess is, panicking now is premature. If this were a week before camp, I'd say,, Oh No. we got a problem. But there is still plenty of time to address the needs that remain.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
You really think so?

I doubt you'll find any starting caliber CB's left on the FA market. You won't find teams cutting starting caliber CB's. And it would be virtually impossible to find a UDFA who would be a day 1 starter at CB.

There were some on the market, but they're gone. We have the draft and a possible trade. I don't think you'll find we have as many options at finding a starting NFL CB as you make it seem.

We can draft 1 but that would most likely be a first round pick to obtain an immediate starter. I just saw some excellent ways this FO could have easily prevented us from being pigeonholed in such a draft day scenario that makes drafting a CB such a huge need.

Of course, if the view Lombardi had on weeden isn't reversed, we could easily draft a QB in round 1. If not, we'll need something to fail so we draft in the top 10 next year for a QB. Might just be the secondary......

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It will be very interesting to me because Banner loves the Dbacks and Olinemen, Lombardi hates Weeden, and Haslem may want a big name/face to start the regime.

If I had my way I would love to trade back to the mid 1st, acquire a second round pick, and look for Trufant/Rhodes/Warmack/Eifert in the 1st and then the best Safety/CB in the 2nd.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I think so yes. I think it's possible. Perhaps not likely? But possible.

All Pro level guys are hard to come by no matter where you look.

Haslam said we are 2 or 3 years from contending. He didn't say that because he wanted to, I'm guessing he said that because his football people (Banner, Lombardi, Chud, Turner and Horton) have told him it could take that long to get the caliber of people we need to be a contender.

Yet, some folks are all up in arms because we didn't get everything right out of the gate. To me that makes no sense

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

In a 4-3 DQ, JMJ and Robertson would have been sufficient

I don't agree w/that. I think our LBer group was terrible. Are you seriously telling me you would have been comfortable w/an untested JMJ and an inexperienced Robertson as our starters?

Vers, I was CLEARLY talking MLB to ILB conversion ONLY. Anyway, at OLB we had Gocong being a better fit at SOLB than anywhere in a 3-4, Robertson is a solid WOLB in a 4-3 and pretty much lost or a backup-nickel ILB in a 3-4...JMJ is a question mark in both scheme's and I'm not that high on him anyway. In FA there were TONS of good solid 4-3 OLB available for to address whatever we were missing for the 4-3 (Burnett, Wheeler etc), but not much for 3-4 ILB, so I think it isn't reaching saying we created more problems SHORT TERM for a better scheme (on paper) LONG TERM...sounds like a re-building to me

Quote:

Oh, I don't have problem w/people being skeptical. I don't have a problem w/it being discussed. I do have a problem w/the fact that it's all some of you talk about. Constantly. Ad nauseam. Over and over and over. Everything is negative. Everything is a mistake. The past regime was so great. We are doomed now. Sorry man, being skeptical and discussing it occasionally is different from this hateful crusade some of you are on.

"some of you" isn't me, easy as that. I applauded this FO for signing Kruger, Bryant, Groves, Campbell and trading for D.Lewis (you must have missed those posts I guess) You know why? Because they were good moves. I trashed them for doing nothing at major needs like ILB, FS or CB. You know why? Because I call em like I see them and I said well BEFORE FA began what I wanted to see adressed. I think I'm being pretty consistent either way, so I have to reject being put in that "class" by you...whoever "majority" qualifies for it. My Point is simple, I think with your responses you often times FUEL and DIRECT the discussion to be about agenda, bias etc instead of taking it for what it is, the player/move/whatever discussion at hand

Quote:

However, we aren't talking about other stuff at all. Look at all the posts that follow yours. Almost every single poster is talking about the move from the 4-3 to the 3-4. Not one freaking poster mentioned that we aren't going to be running the 3-4 exclusively.

I think it's pretty natural that you focus on what's missing, what problems are left instead of talk about where you're already good at. Every person, society is the same, why should this board be different? If a person has a problem to solve, he's pre-occuppied with it and mulls it over, he doesn't think about how happy he is that he's healthy etc, it's taken for granted in those situations.
As for the switch, as I said...sure we aren't playing a pure 3-4, but for one thing NOBODY knows how it is going to look like and if it is anywhere close to the Steelers' scheme, than we're mostly a 3-4. To me? It's irrelevant at this point. The important FACT is that we 100% move out of a classic 4-3 look, which means we need certain types of players we didn't need before. I think it's fair at attest that MORE looks, MORE player types you need. It's pretty GOOD that we added 2 versatile players for that in FA and pretty CONVINIENT that we already had versatile players on the roster...I think that's fair to say

Quote:

I showed 2 examples of where Horton says that we are going to be running multiple fronts. I provided a link. There were more examples in there of that being the case. Yet, no one wants to hear facts!!! I provided examples of Horton talking about how he wasn't going to pigeon-hole players into one position. How he was going to move them around. Sometimes w/their hand in the dirt. Sometimes standing up. No one talks about that....at all.

Again Vers, you OPT to fight windmills for whatever reason...who is DISPUTING that we're going to run that type of scheme? No one. And how do you want to talk about certain looks if you never haven't seen them before? You can attest, as I did in my last post, that it's cool that player like Sheard and Kruger can do both...so? how much more than say that can you write about? On paper, it looks good, but we haven't even seen a preseason snap yet of thos looks, so how much further about stating a hypothetical can we go?

Quote:

Does anyone realize how much flexibility this gives us? 3-man fronts. 4-man fronts. 5-man fronts. Guys moving around. It's exciting and would be a great discussion. But no, let's ignore the facts and talk about how we messed up by going to the 3-4. It's like the truth is being ignored because it gets in the way of the agendas.

And do YOU realize that I talked about that in my last post? and btw, we didn't "mess up" by switching schemes, we added needs to run (in theory) a more efficient scheme. That's what I said (and you're responding to me, right?), so why act as if I've said something completely different? See, that's EXACTLY what I mean you do often Vers: you, yourself (for whatever reasons) STEER the discussion to this crap. You wanna talk football? I offered that in my last post. Instead you throw me in in some obscure "hater" group and YOU talk about that all the time. You wanna talk football, then just talk football and ignore the rest

Quote:

Me, I would love to talk about different packages. Don't you guys see how these multi-dimensional fronts can better utilize the talents of guys like Sheard, Kruger, Taylor, Winn, Hughes, etc? We're going to have all sorts of different personnel packages where we put guys in positions of strength. The possibilities are wide-ranging. It would be fun trying to figure it out.

I talked about that....you just ignored or "mis-read" it. There are also big question marks as Sheard has to probably move to the other side and he wasn't confortable on that side as a rook...so there isn't only upside involved, also some risk and I think it's fair to mention and discuss both.

Quote:

Seriously, is there ANYONE out there that would like to discuss the possibilities of which guys will be playing more in certain fronts? About personnel packages? About which fronts and personnel we will use on certain down and distances? About when we will use Ward as a blitzer and how disruptive he might be coming behind Kruger? I mean.....I haven't seen one freaking post about all of that stuff.

You opted to ignore that post obviously....I mentioned that, but I also noted that we will never reap the best of this versatility if we get run over up the gut because we have two 4-3 MLB trying to shed blocks from OL twice as big. I was talking football, good and bad...if you actually elected to do the same, we could have some good discussions...I'm pretty sure about that as we've had them before

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Is it a Re-Build if you haven't built anything yet..?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Is it a Re-Build if you haven't built anything yet..?

If you think that Haden, Ward, DQ, Rubin, Taylor, Thomas, Mack, Schwartz, TRich, Gordon, Little aren't NFL starter material, then I guess you can argue we haven't build anything yet...but my opinion is that this would be a very weak argument

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Not to put words in his mouth, but I think that the point he is trying to make is this:

We might be building, but 4 and 5 win seasons, 4 years in a row, indicate that we haven't "built" anything yet.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Then it's faulty logic, as "building" isn't tied to "winning" WHILE you're building. You BUILD to win and win when you're done building. If you were winning, then you would not be building, right?....if you think you can build AND win at the same time, then you're either asking for too much or you haven't used the right words

The way I see it we have played much better with every season and done a 180 in terms of age in the process...building to me means seeing progress and development of players and I have seen that both with the Browns over the past 2 seasons.

Now I'm sure Vers will jump at me for that, but I've expected a .500+ record the next two season and given that we've won 5 games and should have easiyl won 6-8 last season already, it's not too much to ask for just by "natural development" of the young roster.

The "problem" of ANY record we will put up in 2013 is the accountability. On one hand the player "core" will be Heckert's, on the other side we have Coaches and a handful of new starters brought in by the new FO. I'm sure the posters who like to talk about agendas will either do it black and white style (2013 = Banner) or even worse, they'll go either way depending on the record (bad = the guys you didnt like, good = the guys you did like)....I for one will try to evaluate player by player and coaches by coaches and give kudos or criticism on a small scale

The only "sure thing" for me is that we need at least one of TRich or Weeden to step it up or we won't win more....if both fail, then the brunt of that failure falls on Heckert. If the Heckert core keeps developing but the new coaching isn't better or one of Kruger or Bryant stop playing after their contracts, then I'll point my finger that way...The agenda tall will be inevitable, but I hope we can all agree to evaluate the upcoming season this way

#gmstrong

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, the discussions on this board have deteriorated. I got a couple of private messages warning me about the quality of discussions, but I didn't quite believe it.

Fine guys. Keep talking about the same thing, over and over and over. You might even get people to change their mind. LMAO

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The "problem" of ANY record we will put up in 2013 is the accountability. On one hand the player "core" will be Heckert's, on the other side we have Coaches and a handful of new starters brought in by the new FO. I'm sure the posters who like to talk about agendas will either do it black and white style (2013 = Banner) or even worse, they'll go either way depending on the record (bad = the guys you didnt like, good = the guys you did like)....I for one will try to evaluate player by player and coaches by coaches and give kudos or criticism on a small scale

If we win, I'll be happy, if we lose, I won't be, I have no effect on who is accountable, so what point is it trying to figure out who's fault it is?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Man, the discussions on this board have deteriorated. I got a couple of private messages warning me about the quality of discussions, but I didn't quite believe it.

Fine guys. Keep talking about the same thing, over and over and over. You might even get people to change their mind. LMAO

That's what happens when you let the riff-raff from the Cleveland Browns website into the discussion.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

That is your repsonse? Really?

I've twice taken time to go over your posts, point by point, just to first get a general reply completely ignoring what I actually said and now this?

You say you want to talk football, but you just don't do it

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That's what happens when you let the riff-raff from the Cleveland Browns website into the discussion.

hehehehe

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know what "riff-raff" you speak of... I came from that forum, and this place has it's own "know it alls, cannot be told their wrong even when proof says otherwise, and the infamous just an "online jerk" who is rude first, factual second." and etc ordeals.

I'm not saying your wrong, but let's try to coexist. This forum should be welcoming to anyone and everyone, regardless if they came from the Brown's website, or whatever.

IMO, these comments are just outright uncalled for.

When the Cleveland Brown's forum is back, or really "if" it ever comes back, then ya'll won't have any worries. Keep in mind though, we were directed here from the Moderators of the Brown's website to continue discussing the Brown's.

Legend
Legend
Welcome!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Then it's faulty logic, as "building" isn't tied to "winning" WHILE you're building. You BUILD to win and win when you're done building. If you were winning, then you would not be building, right?....if you think you can build AND win at the same time, then you're either asking for too much or you haven't used the right words

The way I see it we have played much better with every season and done a 180 in terms of age in the process...building to me means seeing progress and development of players and I have seen that both with the Browns over the past 2 seasons.

Now I'm sure Vers will jump at me for that, but I've expected a .500+ record the next two season and given that we've won 5 games and should have easiyl won 6-8 last season already, it's not too much to ask for just by "natural development" of the young roster.

The only "sure thing" for me is that we need at least one of TRich or Weeden to step it up or we won't win more....if both fail, then the brunt of that failure falls on Heckert. If the Heckert core keeps developing but the new coaching isn't better or one of Kruger or Bryant stop playing after their contracts, then I'll point my finger that way...The agenda tall will be inevitable, but I hope we can all agree to evaluate the upcoming season this way

Anything you build is going to have to be maintained. Parts will need replaced ....upkeep will need to be done, and so on,

However, if this were a house, we'd still at the point where we've had to put on 3 roofs in the past 5 years ..... replaced the furnace a few times ..... and so on. We have replaced tons of guys who were supposed to be foundation pieces.

I like the progress of some of our players ..... however, in the NFL, winning is the name of the game. Players can grow and develop, but sooner or later the team has to win.

As far as "accountability", I think that you are overly worried about who gets the credit. I don't care who gets the credit. I would love to see next year's arguments be over who was really the driving force behind our shocking Super Bowl run. However, let's not forget, that from the moment he took over, this team became Banner's responsibility. He is responsible for putting the right people in the right spots, and is responsible for making sure that this team wins. It seems that he has to get an inordinate, and maybe even unfair, amount of both the potential blame, and the potential credit. It's the nature of the game.

Further, the coaching staff will have an impact on players. Like it or not, any team with a coaching and/or front office change is going to go through some degree of "who really gets the credit/blame. Look at the Niners. They hired Trent Baalke in 2011 to be their GM, he hired a new head coach and then that coach hired a new coaching staff. The Niners went from a 6 win team in 2010, to a 13 win team in 2011 .... then to the Super Bowl in 2012. Who gets the credit? Does it really matter? From an outside perspective, it would seem like Harbaugh should get most of the credit, but who knows? He inherited players, brought in some of his own, and turned others around. Did he deserve the credit, or did the former GM have a hand in their success?

One other thing that I want to address is your statement on looking at things on a small scale. That's all well and good, but I believe that the team has to function both on the small scale, and on the large scale. Individual players have to play well, and also have to play well within their unit. They have to do their part, do their part as part of their individual unit, then as part of the overall offense or defense. I think that all 3 stages are important to look evaluate. What is a guy asked to do? How well does he handle those responsibilities? How does he function in concert with the players next to him? Does he handle his responsibilities, or does he leave his partners hanging out in the wnd while he is off doing his own thing? I think that you'll agree that it's often hard for a fan to truly evaluate some of these things, unless that are painfully obvious, like with Young being miles out of position on far too many occasions last year. My point is that you can look at a player, and his technique, in a bubble, but you also have to look at his play within the bigger scheme as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm not saying your wrong, but let's try to coexist. This forum should be welcoming to anyone and everyone, regardless if they came from the Brown's website, or whatever.

haven 't you seen my signature?

I guess I could say... I love you man

I know every board has it's quirks but this has a lot of intelligent people on it... who know their stuff 1000 times better than me

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I am glad you guys are all here. Its nice to hear some fresh viewpoints. After a while you pretty much know which side of a discussion a person is on based just on who they are.

Those type of folks exist on EVERY board, it just goes with the territory.

N
Legend
Legend
N
purple font = sarcasm

#gmstrong
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

purple font = sarcasm

LMAO

It just dawned on me now when I've seen the purple font used elsewhere. I thought people were just trying to be cute, haha...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

purple font = sarcasm

LMAO

It just dawned on me now when I've seen the purple font used elsewhere. I thought people were just trying to be cute, haha...

That's what I thought the first time also LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

Welcome!!

YA!?

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

purple font = sarcasm

LMAO

That's what I thought the first time also LOL

I made it just for you!

Legend
Legend
Just a warning ... I am a fairly sarcastic person, and I never use purple.

N
All Pro
All Pro
N
NRTU

Trying to get back on football, reading some of the posts about our "multiple fronts" and "attacking defense" isn't Horton kinda known for letting his corners blitz alot off the edge?

I can also see Ward blitzing a little more.

Just thinking out loud here.....but wouldn't another safety almost be more important than another corner?

Maybe a trade down would allow us to target that safety in the 1st if there is one worth taking there?

Vers and some of the other guys that seem to be pretty knowledgable on DB's, could you give some thoughts on that? Is there a free safety in this draft worth a mid to late 1st round pick?

Would that allow us a little wiggle room with picking a corner later, possibly 2nd or 3rd round?

Again, just thinking out loud, but I am getting the impression that a safety MAY be a more pressing need for us than a corner?

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just thinking out loud here.....but wouldn't another safety almost be more important than another corner?

While I wouldn't say it's more important, I do think it's more urgent in the draft, just because there really is great depth for a 2nd corner in this draft and not so great depth at FS.

If we only had a solid #2 starter and we needed a top guy at corner, I'd disagree, but since Haden will likely be top banana even if we draft someone high, I agree with you.

N
All Pro
All Pro
N
Draft depth is one of the reasons I was thinking like this.

I have read that the corner depth is pretty good in this draft, but have not heard the same of the safety class.

Legend
Legend
One guy that is a little intriguing is Cody Davis. He's got really good speed (4.4 range, like Duke Williams) and is a very solid open-field tackler, but to me is more of a strong safety guy. He racked up tackles for Texas Tech (it's never good when a safety leads your team in tackles) and has decent coverage skills... CBS has suddenly flipped him from being rated as a SS to FS. Don't know why. Most of his big plays came at/near the LOS.

*edit* actually, screw it. I want Lebron to be our FS lol. Or Josh Cribbs.

Last edited by clevesteve; 04/15/13 11:59 AM.
N
Legend
Legend
N
no worries. every board has it's own quirks. that is one of them here

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
FS is becoming a scarcity position around the NFL and the position is becoming the QB of the draft classes, meaning you have to probably over-draft the few good or even project/decent one's. I like both Vaccaro and Swearinger, but neither are can't miss guys for me, so I don't like the idea of making a FS our first player of the draft, especially holding the value of pick no6...whatever we do with it, I don't think you've done a good job if your 1st player selected is a S when you hold a top 10 pick.

I've read somewhere that the S are interchangable in Horton's scheme and if we truly intend to attack the LOS often, then maybe another strong SS type is the answer? If so, I'd be ok with Elam in the 2nd if we get an extra pick there

#gmstrong

N
All Pro
All Pro
N
Thanks dj, what if we trade down out of the 6th spot, out of the top 10?

Is there a safety worth taking in the 1st round at all in your opinion, over someone like the corner out of FSU?

Just curious.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Vaccaro is considered the best and seems to be a 1st round lock in a weak class at the top. As I said, I like his skillset, but he's still very raw and not as consistent as I'd like to see to make him our top pick, even after a trade down. He's versatile, as he can cover the slot man to man, that's a very nice feature, but his main job as a FS would be deep coverage and that to my eye was his biggest weakness. He looked more like a SS/CB tweener, than FS/CB if that does make sense?

I would be pretty disappointed if we take him anywhere in the top 20. I really don't want ANY S to be our 1st pick. Our 1st pick absolutely has to have a much higher floor imho

I also like Cyprien when he was ranked as a mid-rounder....now hes considered a top50 lock, goes to show how valuable the position has become.

I'd rather just sign FA Rhodes and give Gipson or some mid/late rounder more time to develop behind the scenes, as I don't see ANY S in this class that will come in and be AVG or better from day 1, that won't happen imho

#gmstrong

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Team needs: Cleveland Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard