Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
1) Milliner 2) Mingo

Browns notes: Alabama CB Dee Milliner reportedly No. 1 draft priority, then LSU OLB Barkevious Mingo

By NATE ULRICH Published: April 16, 2013

The Browns have the sixth overall pick in the draft and a glaring hole in the starting lineup at cornerback, so selecting Alabama’s Dee Milliner, the top-rated player at the position, would make perfect sense if he’s available.

It also would be logical for the Browns to target a pass rusher at No. 6 if Milliner isn’t available.

Well, Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net reported that’s the strategy the Browns have adopted.

“Sources close to situation tell me Dee Milliner/CB/Alabama is #1 priority for Cleveland Browns with Barkevious Mingo/LB/LSU the contingency,” Pauline wrote today on Twitter.

For what it’s worth, Super Bowl-winning coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden mentioned the possibility of the Browns drafting Milliner or Mingo during a conference call Monday.

“I think Cleveland fortunately is going to be sitting in a position to get an outstanding outside linebacker,” Gruden said. “I love Barkevious Mingo at LSU. He’s one, one of my favorite players in this draft. I think he could convert to the outside linebacker position and be an every-down force rushing the passer. I’ve seen him drop in coverage. He has an electrifying inside move. I really think he’s got a huge upside.

“And to have Dee Milliner on the other side of [Joe] Haden would be outstanding as well. So Cleveland’s going to get a good player. I’m not saying they’re going with the outside ’backer or with the corner, but they’re going to get a really good player should they go that route.”

The Browns hosted Milliner and Mingo during pre-draft visits last week. They also conducted a private workout with Mingo, NFL Network reported.

With the draft set to begin April 25, there are plenty of smokescreens being set and misdirection is the name of the game. Still, it shouldn’t be surprising if Milliner or Mingo land in Cleveland.

Of course, the possibility of the Browns trading down from No. 6 certainly can’t be ruled out, either. And such a move would bring several other scenarios to the forefront.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Also my two top choices.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
However, if Milliner is gone, I'd look for a trade back with New Orleans at 15

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Browns notes: Alabama CB Dee Milliner reportedly No. 1 draft priority, then LSU OLB Barkevious Mingo

Of course, the possibility of the Browns trading down from No. 6 certainly can’t be ruled out, either. And such a move would bring several other scenarios to the forefront.

So, Millner, Mingo or a trade down for several other possibilites. Way to narrow it down. "Outside of the top 5 guys being taken, it could be anyone else."

Not cracking on your addition to the board, any article is a good read at this point. All in fun.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
So, we have an ABJ beat writer quoting some nobody with a random Draft website via something he posted on twitter referencing an unnamed "source", and it's "backed up" by Gruden giving a "Captain Obvious" soundbite that he was undoubtedly prepped to give? And oh, by the way, this draft site nobody also portends to be able to actually report on the Draft strategy that the team has adopted?

Then, they end the article with a sentence dislaiming that "oh, by the way, just so we've covered all the bases ...they may not do any of the above at all."

lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sources close to situation tell me Dee Milliner/CB/Alabama is #1 priority for Cleveland Browns with Barkevious Mingo/LB/LSU the contingency,” Pauline wrote today on Twitter.

Wonder if that's twitter-speak for "Browns' beat writer."

Legend
Legend
hehe!

Circular reference... death by recursion!!!! lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Mingo is my #1 choice so I can't be the source......

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 04/16/13 05:36 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm just saying, this comes out after the FBI raided Pilot/Flying J yesterday?

I think it's safe to say that the head of the FBI is a Steeler fan, and they raided Pilot/Flying J to get our draft board.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I will say this again....my number 1 scenario would be to move all the way out of the first round of this draft to stockpile 2014 first round picks. A move to the 12-15 range could net us 1 first rounder in 2014. A move from there to 28-35 could net us an additional 1st rounder in 2014 and we'd take a pick at that number.

We could then do a total evaluation of the team and know exactly what we have in 2013 with everyone (most importantly Weeden).

If Weeden is great then we have a huge influx of top end talent at multiple positions. If Weeden is not up to snuff then we have all kinds of ammo to get a top QB next year.

My second best scenario is Millner. Third best would be some sort of minor trade down to take whichever OLB we deem most impactful to disrupt opponents passing game.

We shall see what comes to pass.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
At least we are trageting SEC players. That's a good start.

I can see a lot of war rooms asking who's the best SEC player left?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I could see your war room saying "OK, who is the best SEC OG left?"

Legend
Legend
I've been done listening to "sources" ever since they claimed we had Chip Kelly locked up to be our head coach..

have to wait til' draft day to see.. but its obvious Milliner is on our radar.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Milliner is a no brainer if there, Mingo is good but we could trade down to 11-12 and get him ....

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Milliner is a no brainer if there, Mingo is good but we could trade down to 11-12 and get him ....

The problem with that is, you have to find someone willing to trade up.

People too often assume, "Well, we can trade down"

You can't if no one wants to trade up.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Make fun all you want. Guards aren't important until people bull rush up the middle and are in your QB's face a split off the snap.

Just saying.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
You can never have to many, either. You could use a reserve guard at...

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
Yes, of course guards are important. I was just merging your love for your two favorite things! Guards and the SEC!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Make fun all you want. Guards aren't important until people bull rush up the middle and are in your QB's face a split off the snap.

Just saying.

So True, especially for QB's that aren't mobile ... Remember in Kosar's best days he had Dan Fike and George Lilja ... just sayin

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

The problem with that is, you have to find someone willing to trade up.

People too often assume, "Well, we can trade down"

You can't if no one wants to trade up.

The problem is relying on mock draft to back up where a player is going. No one knows what teams are thinking..and that includes the Mel Kipers of the world.

Someone like Mingo could be the top rated OLB for teams or a late first rounder for others. We don't know. Remember Bruce Irvin last year?

And yes, trading down can't be done just because a team wants to....

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Mingo is just an athlete, no thank you.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Yes, of course guards are important. I was just merging your love for your two favorite things! Guards and the SEC!

I know you were man. Just bustin your balls a bit.

None the less, IMO you still need to build from the middle out.

No doubt tackle is harder to fill because it is harder to find the right guys, but if we follow the Savage mantra that you can always find guards later, you are always going to suck like Savage.

We've thrown 3rd and 4th rounders at the position and still suck at the position. Maybe we just need to fix it.

And to whoever....I don't recall.....sorry, but I agree , put them at TE or FB if blocking is the primary goal. You don't put in a reserve guard if running or catching the ball is the primary goal.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
A trade down to get one of the two big guards really is tempting. We could have a healthy TR running behind the best offensive line in football, and that would do wonders for the passing game and would keep the defense off the field.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Mingo and Milliner have been my guys for a month. I hope it is true. Mingo will surprise everyone.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think it's safe to say that the head of the FBI is a Steeler fan, and they raided Pilot/Flying J to get our draft board.

Shouldn't that be in Purple

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well I see this as a DEFINITE - MAYBE

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c From what I'm hearing from the "resident experts" on the NFL Network, a trade down to say #11 or 12, is not likely to net us a 2nd rounder (more likely a 3rd). I find that hard to believe, and certainly unacceptable. If we can't scoop a 2nd, then stay at #6 and pick Milliner...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Shouldn't that be in Purple

Nope.

C
Legend
Legend
C
THROW LONG hacked your account.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

j/c From what I'm hearing from the "resident experts" on the NFL Network, a trade down to say #11 or 12, is not likely to net us a 2nd rounder (more likely a 3rd). I find that hard to believe, and certainly unacceptable. If we can't scoop a 2nd, then stay at #6 and pick Milliner...

I think they're right. A trade 5-6 spots wouldn't get us a #2 UNLESS there are multiple teams fighting for, and in love with, one player. The high demand may have someone give up more than normally necessary.

I just don't see an top 15 pick in the second round being forfeited to move up a few spots.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I can see it. It happened last year. Dallas traded to pick 6 from pick 14, they also gave up their second round pick.

If someone wants a tackle enough, and it seems like multiple teams do (Dolphins, Cardinals, Chargers) we can get a second round pick.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Let's hope you're right because I think a trade down is a real possibility.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
As it should be.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sources say: 'Attack Dawg wants to run the draft again and if he could have for the last 10 years the Browns would be playoff headed 10 years straight"..

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Browns get: #31 pick, #34 pick, a few role players
49ers get: #6 pick, Late Round picks, 1 role player

^ Something along these lines remains doable IMO. I don't see why people are glossing over this possibility.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If SF wants to jump all the way from #31 to #6, it's likely going to cost them a future first round pick.

Most big jumps in the first round like that do.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If SF wants to jump all the way from #31 to #6, it's likely going to cost them a future first round pick.

Or Phil Dawson.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

^This.

Also, and it's just my opinion...I am ok with a trade down, but not sure I want to trade down that far. This team has noticeable holes to fill #2CB, FS, LB. Late in the first round the Milliners, Rhodes, Trufants, Vaccaro's and the host of OLBs of the world could be gone. Even for a future first, I'd still prefer to stay in the teens IF we decided to move back. Again, just one man's opinion.

We may have pigeon-holed ourselves to draft for need rather than BPA. I think staying at 6 or moving back a few slots affords us to draft for need and BPA.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Browns get: #31 pick, #34 pick, a few role players
49ers get: #6 pick, Late Round picks, 1 role player

^ Something along these lines remains doable IMO. I don't see why people are glossing over this possibility.

It's not enough value. For the sake of comparison, look at the Morris Claiborne and Julio Jones trades the last 2 years.

Falcons gave up 27, 59, 124, and 2012 1st and 4th for #6.
Cowboys 14 and 45 for #6.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) "Sources" say our top 2 choices are...

Link Copied to Clipboard