Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#776490 04/16/13 06:10 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
There are a number of new "Flagship" devices that are coming out shortly. I am actually in the market for a new phone. I love the one I have and will probably stay in the same lineup. I'm looking for your thoughts on these and others that are coming.

Samsung Galaxy S4
- Quad core or Octa core processor
- 13 megapixel camera (rear) 2 megapixel front.

HTC One
- Quad core
- More internal storage, but no external storage capabilities

iPhone 5s
- ?
- ?

(Sorry, I'm not an iAnything guy. )

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Legend
Legend
I have the one X that came out last year. I hate the keyboard and swype recognition. Camera is nice, but typing anything was so much easier on my iPhone. I got it for 4G and price.

Legend
Legend
I, too, am not an iAnything guy.

I would first and foremost go after the Galaxy S4, but I have Verizon, and it isn't yet available for Verizon.
The HTC One should be solid as a backup choice.

I don't know much about any others coming out.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
The HTC One and the Samsung GS4 are both coming out soon. I just checked with AT&T, I can pre-order now for the S4, and it's a decent price at $199 (renewed contract of course, who cares I have been with them for 10+ years at this point lol).

Only questions I have, but they don't have answers for.

Pre-order allows me to order the 16GB standard. No word on if/when the 32/64GB models are coming. The pre-order allows for the quad core, no word on the octacore yet.

And probably the biggest thing to me, it runs on Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). 5.0 (Key Lime Pie) comes out a month later, but no word on if/when it will get the upgrade.

The HTC One has a lesser camera (pretty important for me), but it has metal construction which should make it more durable. It's sealed, so I can't swap batteries but it does have a pretty good battery that has stood up to the desk tests very well. It does not have an SD memory slot, but it has a pretty large internal storage.

IDK, I will probably go with the S4. I've been pretty stoked about it. Just looking for other opinions as well.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Samsung Galaxy S4
- Quad core or Octa core processor
- 13 megapixel camera (rear) 2 megapixel front.

Can we get the Octa core here in the states? I was thinking that was only available over in the UK. But just my own assumption.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a galaxy 3 and love it

Joe Thomas #73
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

I have a galaxy 3 and love it

+1

I went out and got a Glalaxy Note 10.1 Tablet not long after.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Not being able to change the battery and no memory card support are deal breakers for me. I'd go with the S4.

Even if KLP isn't supported right out of the gate, you KNOW it will be in a later update. I'm with Verizon, so I'm wondering if they will release with KLP or stick with JellyBean for now.

My current phone is a HTC Rezound, and I really like it, but I wanted a S3. Unfortunately, the store I was at didn't have any and I *needed* a phone immediately. I will probably upgrade to the S4 within the year.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
My cell phone has a rotary dial.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you may have misread that. We're talking about cell phones not Bell phones.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

thats a Celluloid phone.

Joe Thomas #73
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I think you may have misread that. We're talking about cell phones not Bell phones.

I didn't misread....my cell phone has a rotary dial and is about a foot long. I carry it in a small backpack.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Let me know when they come out with a cell phone with big enough screens and buttons for us old folks to see and use while we call, text, and check ebay once a month for 30 bucks a month and i will be first in line to sign a lifetime contract

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
A model like this one?

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Good to hear you're not one of those people that just gets the Iphone because it's popular and everyone else has one. IMO Android is superior in almost every way. Also, having developed apps for Android, it's more open source, development sharing is more encouraged, and I don't think you need a license to sell on the market.

In reality if you already have and Android device you could always go the route that I went. I have an HTC Evo 4g 3d and still had ICS 4.0 and heard that there were going to be no more updates for my phone. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and update the phone myself. I had done this before with my Kindle Fire and it ran fantastic. In the end upgrading to a new rom/rooting, etc. requires some effort and you need to back things up and be careful, but it's pretty hard to REALLY brick your phone. I am currently running Jelly Bean 4.1.2, pay 30 bucks a month and couldn't be happier.

If you're looking to get into rooting and flashing roms then this site should be your starting point:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=524

Also this site is EXTREMELY helpful and the people there are very friendly.

http://androidforums.com/

If you do this have fun!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Legend
Legend
R
I have the S3. Love it.

I also have an iMac and an iPad.

While I love my iPad, I would love to go back to a PC.

Moral of the story...just because it begins with an "i" doesn't mean it's better.

Oh, and I love WIDGETS! Another great reason to go Android.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
I use my cell phone so little that it's ridiculous.

I went down to a 300 minute/month plan, and have still been building up minutes like crazy. I'm usually home, so why bother screwing around with the cell phone.

I don't use my cell phone for anything except phone calls. I could not possibly care less about texting, surfing, or anything else. It's a phone, so as long as it makes *gasp* phone calls, I'm fine with it.

My phone cost $30, and my plan in ridiculously cheap. It's a Net10 phone, it works everywhere, and I don't need anything else.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
The S4 base model pricing is on par with what they were reporting about 2 months ago. Which is nice. I do love the fact I can swap mem cards in and out. And the battery being a 2600 mA is a real nice boost. Of course the 5 inch super AMOLED screen might need that as well. lol

KeysDawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'll admit it, that made me laugh.

KeysDawg

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

I use my cell phone so little that it's ridiculous.

I went down to a 300 minute/month plan, and have still been building up minutes like crazy. I'm usually home, so why bother screwing around with the cell phone.

More and more people are dropping land lines. Why pay for both? Unless you run a business out of your home, have bad service in your house, or your phone and internet are an inseperable combo (not many of those packages available anymore), there's not much reason to have a landline anymore.

Quote:

I don't use my cell phone for anything except phone calls. I could not possibly care less about texting, surfing, or anything else. It's a phone, so as long as it makes *gasp* phone calls, I'm fine with it.

Funny, I don't use mine for phone calls very often. Most everyone I know will send me a quick text with any important, need now type information, or email for less time sensitive material. But then everyone knows I HATE talking on the phone.

Quote:

My phone cost $30, and my plan in ridiculously cheap. It's a Net10 phone, it works everywhere, and I don't need anything else.

That works for you and that's great. I know so many people who pay a fortune for services they don't need or even know how to use just because some salesperson convinced them they needed it, or lied and told them that was the only way it came.

My mom, 66, recently upgraded to an iPhone 4S, she has really taken to it surprisingly, thanks to the Siri.

It's one area I recoomond iPhones to people. Those who aren't very tech savvy but could benefit from some of the features of a smart phone. I got my wife into an iPhone 4, she struggled with the android phone, because she just doesn't get the concept.

But Apple did a great job of making a very simple, reliable device that anyone can figure out and make use of. now can someone tell me how to get rid of all those useless apps on the iPhone screen? Seems there's certain apps you just can't remove.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I understand what you're saying. But for what I do, a smart phone is almost a required piece of equipment.

The larger and better camera helps with photo's of the homes I am selling and helping buy. The 1080p HD video gives me a leg up on the competition down here, especially selling homes to people who are out of the area and being able to do the video walkthrough with them.

I'll be out with a customer looking at houses, they see one that wasn't on the list for one reason or another (usually price) and they ask, it's awesome to pull out the phone, look it up and give them exact information right now, not having to wait and look it up later.

Responding to emails rapidly is a proven commodity for a Realtor. Statistics prove that if you can respond within 20 mins of an inquiry, you have a 86% chance of getting that lead to work with you. It drops drastically after 1 hour.

There is only 1 app that the iPhone has that I would love, but sadly it's not available to android yet and doesn't look like they have any intention of making it compatible. That would be MagicPlan. Take a pic of the corners of the room and it draws a floor plan for you. Such an amazing app.

KeysDawg

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Land lines are a thing of the past.
Sure there are lots of times when I dont need a smart phone and I could survive without one, but the benefits of having a phone and home computer in my pocket at any time sure are nice.

Many a time I have used my phones PGS to figure out where I was while out on my motorcycle. Its fun to go wander about not have to worry too much about getting stranded.

Water cooler arguments, thing of the past. Google is at your fingertips.

I could go on and on, but they make different phones and different plans for a reason. Everyone has different needs. If thats what works for you, good.

Legend
Legend
My home phone costs me $30/year .... actually about $33 with taxes and such. . (yes, that's per year, on NetTalk- VOIP)

Why would/should I pay more for a cell phone when I am usually home?

I could see if I had a legitimate use for a smart phone ....... but I don't, and I cannot even invent one.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
im not trying to talk you into anything.

Most people arent total shut ins that never leave the house.

Legend
Legend
Like I said, I barely need to use my cell phone.

I don't have to text people every 2 seconds. (in fact, I have never sent a text message in my life) I don't care if it offends people if I don't reply with a "lol", "x2", or a "me 2". I'll call people, but I generally don't spend hours with the phone attached to my ear.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'm with YTown, well, sort of.

I don't have a landline. But I've had the same cell phone for like 6 years. Don't have to pay for a data plan, no longer tied to contract. Its cheap, its Verizon and if they upset me I can leave at anytime. Or just threaten to leave and I get regular credits to my bill. .

I own a couple of IPhones also. But I don't hook them up to the monthly plan. I paid $50 each on craigslist and use them for apps, Ipod, camera, and very occasionally wifi at my house or at public wifi hotspots. I think the data plan is a huge ripoff. "Free" phones aren't worth a 2 year talk/data contract to me. Check around online. Used Smart phones are dirt cheap and if you skip the data plan for 2 months, they pay for themselves. Free WiFi is everywhere, but I don't like mobile internet anyhow, only when I am in a pinch.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Like I said...
Im not trying to convince you that you need one

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It's one area I recoomond iPhones to people. Those who aren't very tech savvy but could benefit from some of the features of a smart phone. I got my wife into an iPhone 4, she struggled with the android phone, because she just doesn't get the concept.

But Apple did a great job of making a very simple, reliable device that anyone can figure out and make use of.

This is what is great about the iPhone. My grandfather is turning 80 in a few months and he loves his iPhone. It's as simple as can be and I never get any "tech support" type phone calls from him like I used to for his other electronic devices.

I never really understood the fanboy wars. I personally have an iPhone, but some of the droids also seem like amazing phones that I am sure I would also like. Everyone has different needs/wants from their "phone". Why do people care what other people like/use so much?

Eat it Phil...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Like I said...
Im not trying to convince you that you need one

That is another thing I find funny about these threads we see every now and again.

The guys without cell phones or "dumb" phones if you will always seem to drop their 2 cents in the thread when its typically not asked for and huff and puff about how they don't want or need one. As if the thread was created to talk them into it.

Hey, you don't want a smart phone, it doesn't fit into your lifestyle, awesome, no one cares.

Eat it Phil...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I understand what you're saying. But for what I do, a smart phone is almost a required piece of equipment.

The larger and better camera helps with photo's of the homes I am selling and helping buy. The 1080p HD video gives me a leg up on the competition down here, especially selling homes to people who are out of the area and being able to do the video walkthrough with them.

I'll be out with a customer looking at houses, they see one that wasn't on the list for one reason or another (usually price) and they ask, it's awesome to pull out the phone, look it up and give them exact information right now, not having to wait and look it up later.

Responding to emails rapidly is a proven commodity for a Realtor. Statistics prove that if you can respond within 20 mins of an inquiry, you have a 86% chance of getting that lead to work with you. It drops drastically after 1 hour.

There is only 1 app that the iPhone has that I would love, but sadly it's not available to android yet and doesn't look like they have any intention of making it compatible. That would be MagicPlan. Take a pic of the corners of the room and it draws a floor plan for you. Such an amazing app.

I can absolutely see one for anyone in sales. You want to be able to get dead on accurate information to a client ASAP. You can't afford to look merely competent, you have to impress them to get the sale.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I've been looking for a new phone a for a couple months now. I can't decide, I just don't care for all the larger screens their coming out with.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
my "hangup" on a new phone now is a keyboard. I love the slide out full keyboard. I never got the hang of tap typing on screen, but I guess with time I would.

Legend
Legend
In May, I get to upgrade/new phone on the low cost side. I'm going to jump from the Iphone 4S to the 5 I think. Gonna go take a look at them closer first, but I think that's what I'm going to do. I think I was told that the cost to move to the 5 is $199. We'll see.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

But Apple did a great job of making a very simple, reliable device that anyone can figure out and make use of.

This is what is great about the iPhone. My grandfather is turning 80 in a few months and he loves his iPhone. It's as simple as can be and I never get any "tech support" type phone calls from him like I used to for his other electronic devices.

I never really understood the fanboy wars. I personally have an iPhone, but some of the droids also seem like amazing phones that I am sure I would also like. Everyone has different needs/wants from their "phone". Why do people care what other people like/use so much?

I have an iPhone and an Android Tablet. Both have their ups and downs but my (2) iPhones that I've had/have (the 3G and now the 4S) there has been no issues with. Before I got the 4S my 3yo 3G was getting pretty slow but what do you expect from a 3yo device? My brother still uses it as an iPod.

My Android tablet on the other had I've had many crashes. I'm contently using the "Force Stop" feature to close an unresponsive program. My non-tech savvy wife calls me at least twice a week because one thing or another isn't working and I have to walk her through how to correct the issue.

iOS just seems more stable than Android. But my Android tablet has a Full USB port, Micro USB port, Full SD Card Port, Full HDMI port where as the iPad has non of those with out a special cable for HDMI and the memory built in is all you have unless you buy more from the cloud.

Both have Negatives and Positives but for non-Tech type people I would also recommend iPhones/iPads.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
F
Legend
Legend
F
That's one downside to Android open system, the poor programming by some that write apps. You may not be using the app, but it could still be running in the background using up resoures.

Also noticed a huge difference in performance from my EVO to my Galacy 3S just due to the increase in RAM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

In May, I get to upgrade/new phone on the low cost side. I'm going to jump from the Iphone 4S to the 5 I think. Gonna go take a look at them closer first, but I think that's what I'm going to do. I think I was told that the cost to move to the 5 is $199. We'll see.

Keep an eye out for the release date for the 6 (or 5s, whatever they're calling it). I though I saw it was late may or early june. That $199 upgrade price should be the newest release I think. But you don't want to upgrade to the 5 if the 6 comes out a week later.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Keep an eye out for the release date for the 6 (or 5s, whatever they're calling it). I though I saw it was late may or early june. That $199 upgrade price should be the newest release I think. But you don't want to upgrade to the 5 if the 6 comes out a week later.

That's good thinking. Thanks for the tip.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
of course with apple, the 7 will be a month later...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

with the 7s two months after that... with the only difference being that it will be the ultra-chic gloss white case.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

with the 7s two months after that... with the only difference being that it will be the ultra-chic gloss white case.

I know it's just a joke but I don't know how Apple gets this reputation. They release a new model every year, just like every major Android maker out there. But every time I see a new article about either an iPhone or an iPad I see the same "next model will be released a month later" joke about 20 or 30 times.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... New cell phone upgrades....

Link Copied to Clipboard