Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
April 14, 2013, 10:00am

JACKIE ROBINSON'S LEGACY

They’ve retired the number 42 from baseball, and rightfully so because it was the number worn by Jackie Robinson, the first African-American permitted to play major league baseball.

So why haven’t they retired the number 14 worn by a famous baseball player who made his name in Ohio?

And, no, it isn’t Pete Rose.

It was worn by Cleveland Indians outfielder Larry Doby, a man who had the misfortune to be the second African American permitted to join the white fraternity of major league baseball players, as far as recognition goes.

And Doby easily could have been the first if Branch Rickey, the man who signed Jackie Robinson, had just looked out the window of his Ebbets Field office. Doby was once on the Brooklyn campus of Long Island University, playing basketball. And at age 17 he was playing second base for the Newark Eagles in the Negro National League before he received a military draft notice.

But Rickey signed Robinson in 1946 and brought him up to the Brooklyn Dodgers early in 1947. Eleven weeks later Bill Veeck signed Doby to be the first African-American in the American League with the Cleveland Indians. Doby cost Veeck $15,000 and he brought a .415 batting average with him.

A Negro League umpire actually recommended Doby, who lived in New Jersey, to the Newark Eagles. They gave him a tryout and signed him to play second base.

“They gave me a tryout and I made the team that first day and that’s how I got involved in Negro League Baseball,” said Doby.

Rickey signed Robinson out of UCLA, so Doby became the first Negro League player to make it to the majors, where the Indians promptly moved him to center field.

“When I was playing in the Negro League, I never looked very far ahead because growing up in a segregated society you couldn’t have thought about the way of life that was ahead for me,” Doby once said. “There was no bright spot as far a looking at baseball until Mr. Robinson got the opportunity to play in Montreal (the minor leagues) in 1946.”

But despite Doby’s star status as a popular power-hitting outfielder for the Tribe, he never achieved the acclaim of Robinson, didn’t have books written about him, didn’t have movies filmed about him, even though he suffered through the same torment and bitterness aimed at Robinson by fans and opposing players.

But he, too, was a pioneer.

Through it all, after he arrived in Cleveland at age 23, he made the All-Star team seven straight years, he was the first black player, along with pitcher Satchel Paige, to play in a World Series and he was the first black to hit a World Series home run.

Being second in making racial progress followed Doby when in 1978 he was named manager of the Chicago White Sox, the second African-American to manage a major league team. Frank Robinson of the Cleveland Indians was first.

It was on Oct. 9, 1948, that Doby walked to the batter’s box in Game 4 of the World Series. The Tribe led the Boston Braves two games to one. It was the fourth inning. Tie game, 1-1. Doby launched a 420-foot home run in front of 82,000 in Cleveland Municipal Stadium, the largest World Series crowd ever.

That was in the fourth inning and it gave Cleveland a 2-1 lead, a score that stood throughout the game, giving the Indians a 3 games to 1 lead in a Series they eventually won in seven games.

This was after Doby led the Tribe to the pennant and a playoff game against the Boston Red Sox to win the American League pennant. Doby hit .396 the last 20 games of the year as the Indians tried to hold off the Red Sox and he hit .301 for the season.

He helped the Indians to another American League pennant in 1954, when the Tribe won 111 games, and finished second to Yogi Berra in the MVP balloting.

Al Rosen, a long-time baseball executive who played third for the Indians in 1954, knew the credit that Doby deserved, because Doby played in American League cities, cities where Robinson didn’t play.

“Jackie was a college-educated man who had been an officer in the service and who played at the Triple-A level,” Rosen told the Desert News.

“Jackie was brought in by Branch Rickey specifically to be the first black player in the major leagues. Doby came up as a second baseman who didn’t have time to get his full college education and was forced to play a different position in his first major league season,” Rosen added. “I think, because of those circumstances, he had a more difficult time than Robinson. He has never received the credit he deserves.”

Legendary Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller was with Doby through most of his career with the Indians and saw what Doby went through and what Doby did off and on the field.

“He was kind of like (astronaut) Buzz Aldrin, the second man on the moon,” said Feller. “Doby was a great American who served his country in World War II. He was as good a ballplayer as Robinson, an exciting player who not only was a great hitter but a great defensive outfielder. And he was a very good teammate.”

As major league baseball celebrates Robinson’s legacy Monday, with every player in the majors wearing uniform No. 42, MLB and commissioner Bud Selig are concerned about the declining number of African-American playing baseball.

African-Americans occupied only 7.7 percent of the spots on major league roster on opening day. So Selig announced formation of a task force to investigate and to try to increase the numbers.

The 7.7 percent is the lowest since 1959 and has declined from 19 percent in 1995. The high was 27 percent in 1975.

The Cincinnati Reds have three African Americans — second baseman Brandon Phillips and bench players Xavier Paul and Derrick Robinson. The Cleveland Indians have outfielder Michael Bourn and Michael Brantley.
Hal McCoy FOXSportsOh.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

They’ve retired the number 42 from baseball, and rightfully so because it was the number worn by Jackie Robinson, the first African-American permitted to play major league baseball.

I disagree right there, but that's just me.

Great man, great player, but no more worthy of a game wide retirement of a number than any number of players.

It cheapens the number IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, not trying to be argumentative, but he did have to endure a high level of negative attention and grief, so he was a little more than just an average ball-player.

I think the number signifies something positive in our history we can all be proud of.

Legend
Legend
I disagree.

While other players may have done more between the lines, Jackie was changing the country off the field while changing professional sports on it. He was an important figure in the civil right movement, successful businessman, played a key as an political activist and yes, changed many viewpoints on color by what he did on the field. Jackie Robinson was more than just the first black MLB ballplayer.

And about his talent, think about how good he had to be to win the NL MVP two years after joining the league still surrounded by players, fans and the media that didn't want him there (not all felt that way). But to win that MVP vote shows how good he was.

I've read two biographies on him, watched many TV specials and plan to see the movie soon. IMO, retiring his number sport wide is probably not enough.

There's a reason why I would have named my first kid Jackson if she were a boy. I have the utmost respect for what he did for this country.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Exactly.

Not many athletes can say they changed professional sports outside their own.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I completely agree. Keep in mind, his rookie year was not too bad either:

.297 BA, 125 runs, 12 HR, 48 RBI, and 29 SBs. He finished 5th in MVP voting that year.

He did all that while carrying a huge weight on his back and people looking for him to make any mistake. He wasn't allowed into the MLB until he was 28 years old and he still made the HOF and had a great career.

Simply put, Jackie Robinson changed the face of baseball and America and if there's one person whose number should be retired by all teams, it's his.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No, I don't think baseball should retire Doby's number across the sport. However, the fact that Jim Thome is getting a statue in Jacobs Field and Larry Doby doesn't have one is borderline criminal. I love Jim Thome, he's one of my favorite players, but he is not the most deserving player for an award like that.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
N
Legend
Legend
N
I agree with you. MLB shouldn't be doing all that much with Larry Doby other than having him included near the Jackie Robinson stuff in Cooperstown. The Indians, on the other hand, should be doing more.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

No, I don't think baseball should retire Doby's number across the sport. However, the fact that Jim Thome is getting a statue in Jacobs Field and Larry Doby doesn't have one is borderline criminal. I love Jim Thome, he's one of my favorite players, but he is not the most deserving player for an award like that.

It makes me sick to my stomach that he's getting a statue. The guy straight up lied to the fans, then he took himself, and his tv anchor wife to Philadelphia for greener pastures.

Bringing him back and letting him kinda get that moment with the fans? Fine, but a statue? That's just not right. Larry Doby deserves one before him. Omar and Kenny both deserve one before him. Those guys only left because the team didn't want them anymore. I think a Jim Thome statue would also lessen the effect of the Bob Feller statue, which I think is important because of his baseball career, but also his service to this country at a time where he decided baseball wasn't that important to him. How do you even compare Jim Thome to that?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

+1

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N
Doby was mentioned today, so I figured this should be here from Caple:

Quote:

CSI: Box Score Answer

Monday was Jackie Robinson Day, the annual commemoration of the day Robinson broke baseball's color barrier. Robinson deserves the attention, but so does another pioneer. And perhaps you spotted his name in this week's fragment: "Doby, ph."

Just three months after Robinson broke in with the National League's Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947, Larry Doby became the first African-America in the American League when he stepped to the plate as a pinch hitter for Cleveland in this July 5, 1947, game.

Much has been written about what Robinson endured. But it couldn't have been much easier three months later for Doby.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/917883...baseball-brawls

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Doby was mentioned today, so I figured this should be here from Caple:

Quote:

CSI: Box Score Answer

Monday was Jackie Robinson Day, the annual commemoration of the day Robinson broke baseball's color barrier. Robinson deserves the attention, but so does another pioneer. And perhaps you spotted his name in this week's fragment: "Doby, ph."

Just three months after Robinson broke in with the National League's Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947, Larry Doby became the first African-America in the American League when he stepped to the plate as a pinch hitter for Cleveland in this July 5, 1947, game.

Much has been written about what Robinson endured. But it couldn't have been much easier three months later for Doby.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/917883...baseball-brawls

And part of the reason I think retiring #42 both leagues wide is a joke.

Both were great players. Maybe we should have a President Obama Trillion Dollar bill.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Should baseball retire Larry Doby's number?

Link Copied to Clipboard