Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Just curious to know everyone's opinion on Florida State Quarterback E.J. Manuel (Spelling?). I've watched him play the last two years, and clearly the guy has some mad talent. Florida State has run a mixture of option, pro style, and spread offenses since he has been there. E.J. is extremely athletic and would open up our playbook for the pistol and option style offenses, and he has a good enough arm to stretch the field vertically like Chud and Norv are looking for.

If we are going to take a QB in this year's draft I think he is the guy I want. He could potentially turn into that dynamic dual threat QB that other elite teams currently have. (RG3, Vick, Wilson, Cam Newton, Caepernick)

Seeing as Banner has expressed an interest in trading down into the lower part of the draft, how would everyone feel if we were to trade down once or twice into the lower half of the 1st round and then select E.J. Manuel?

Say we swap our 6th overall pick with Minnesota and pickup their two first round picks at #22 and #25? Or maybe we move down twice and pickup two second round picks?

Back in 2009 we moved down three times, and were able to get three second round picks, I would love to be able to do that again in this years draft...

In a scenario like that we go...

1st Round - E.J. Manuel
2nd Round - Cornerback
2nd Round - Safety
2nd Round - Offensive Guard

Anyway what are your thoughts?

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I think Minnesota has too many needs to move up to #6. Rumors are that the Falcons are trying to move way up. That seems more feasible, but I'm not sure Banner will want top drop 24 spots in the draft. If we did, I'd expect more than the 2011 trade. At minimum, #30, #60, #92 this year, plus 1st and 3rd or 4th next year.

That being said, no thanks on a QB in round 1. We don't know what we have - one year doesn't make a QB. I'd much rather shore up the rest of the team and see what we have in Weeden, then if we need someone, we draft them in 2014. I like the potential 2014 class a lot better than this years. Just my opinion.

1st String
1st String
Quote:

Just curious to know everyone's opinion on Florida State Quarterback E.J. Manuel (Spelling?). I've watched him play the last two years, and clearly the guy has some mad talent. Florida State has run a mixture of option, pro style, and spread offenses since he has been there. E.J. is extremely athletic and would open up our playbook for the pistol and option style offenses, and he has a good enough arm to stretch the field vertically like Chud and Norv are looking for.

If we are going to take a QB in this year's draft I think he is the guy I want. He could potentially turn into that dynamic dual threat QB that other elite teams currently have. (RG3, Vick, Wilson, Cam Newton, Caepernick)

Seeing as Banner has expressed an interest in trading down into the lower part of the draft, how would everyone feel if we were to trade down once or twice into the lower half of the 1st round and then select E.J. Manuel?

Say we swap our 6th overall pick with Minnesota and pickup their two first round picks at #22 and #25? Or maybe we move down twice and pickup two second round picks?

Back in 2009 we moved down three times, and were able to get three second round picks, I would love to be able to do that again in this years draft...

In a scenario like that we go...

1st Round - E.J. Manuel
2nd Round - Cornerback
2nd Round - Safety
2nd Round - Offensive Guard

Anyway what are your thoughts?

If we are going to trade down we sill need to fill a HOLE at the moment. I am animatedly opposed on selecting a QB this year. We have a need a CB, FS, WR, LB, OG etc. There are 10-15 or more great quality QBs coming out in next years draft. why take one this year? Give Weeden, Campbell and Lewis a chance to show something before yanking them AGAIN , like we do, EVERY OTHER year.

I am the artist that was known as Dawgmanincincy
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
No Thanks...We'd be replacing one problem with another problem, and using a 1st round pick for that is crazy.

Only way I'd use a 1st round pick for a QB is if Luck type QB was availible and well there isnt any this year, so lets take a OLB or CB and see what's availible in the later rounds,

I'm not oposed to taking a Landry Jones in the 4th or 5th but we all know what would happen, bye the 5th or 6th game were all yelling for him to start and he wouldnt be ready. Lets stop feeding young QB's to the dogs.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I like EJ Manuel as much as any QB in this class (I understand why Geno is ranked ahead of him though).

I think there's too much risk with him to use that plan though.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Weak QB class with several guys "bunched up" in similar rankings.
After 2 years of QB runs in the 1st round, not as much demand for early QBs.
Weeden is part of that ^^^ group, we've got a chance that he will be fine.

I think its the perfect year to wait and see which one of the top QB falls into the mid-rounds.If its a guy we rated as one of the best in the draft, make a move to get an add'l 3rd rounder or wait until the 4th if we're confident no one in front of us is going after a QB.

Now if Norv and Chud thinks Manuel or one of these guys is "The Man" that's a different story. If not, I don't see much reason to jump early.

P
Legend
Legend
P
"A weak QB class" who says, who truly knows, this could turn out to be a great QB class, now I'm not saying it will be or won't be, I'm just tired of these so called "experts" who are guessing just like us!!! JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Rookie
Rookie
I would be ALL for taking Manuel in the 1st. Ok, maybe if I had the big stick in picking for the draft...I wouldn't have the fortitude to make that pick....but I would be excited if we did it. I think Manuel is going to be the best QB in this draft, and a very good QB overall. Not ELITE but very good...definitely good enough for the playoffs. He's big, accurate, fairly fast, and has a big arm. Plus he is really smart. I've been saying for months now that I want him in the 2nd...but he won't last past the Eagles in the 2nd...we'd have to get him in the 1st near the bottom. I have no idea how to pull that off, unless we do another huge trade down like we did with Atlanta years ago. I'd make them pay dearly for that big jump though.

[Linked Image from s9.postimage.org]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Eagles will take Geno in Round One. No way EJ goes in first, and probably not in No. 2. There are other interesting guys to consider, but if he's there in Third, maybe.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think this QB class is much stronger than it has been given credit for. I like it better than the Cam Newton class but similar to that class, it is more of a developmental class than a ready to roll class like last year. I don't know if any QB should go in the first but we all know they will.

It is all about potential with this class and noone has more of it than Manuel. I wouldnt spend a first on him but someone probably will. I hold my ground and take a QB in the 3rd with Landry Jones or Bray. Manuel is going to come off late first.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I was just thinking about the Cam Newton class (2011)..

So we have Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick..

I find it funny at this point that Locker and Gabbert went so high, but we are debating whether or not Geno should be a top 10 selection. (Though I realize you can easily argue both sides of that.) Especially when arguably Kaepernick is the most talented QB in the draft (he went 1 pick after Dalton and 1 pick before Sheard).

I don't see the hit rates on finding an Elite QB being very good.. Even when we are looking at the 2nd QB selected (as a top 10 pick), it is still pretty shaky. Heck, even top selected QB's (Bradford, Smith, among obvious others) don't seem to pan out consistently.

I've got to say stick with Weeden and go all-in on an elite QB when we can. Are the chances of these 3rd round QBs materializing going to be worth not picking up a starting FS, TE, or Guard? If you look at the drafts of Frye and McCoy some talent came off the board at lesser positions shortly after they were selected.

Warning: Hindsight: I'd rather have Justin Tuck and Jimmy Graham over Charlie Frye and Colt McCoy

If any of these 3rd rounders shape up to be a Schaub, Wilson (or heck even Kirk Cousins).... I will gladly eat some crow. I haven't watched squat of their game play and know some of them have good to great arms. It seems to me that is all Chud really needs in a QB. Statistically I favor going to lesser positions at that point, but if the players have a shot at panning out in this offense then by all means take a QB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
EJ Manuel is a better passer right now than Cam was when he came out, Cam is a better athlete but Manuel is a smart kid and Cam is well not lol. Geno, Barkley and Jones are much better passers with a higher level of accuracy than Gabbert, Locker and Ponder. It is really not even close.

Gabbert was a 2 year developmental guy when they took him and then decided to throw him to the wolves. I see a lot of these kids with that same type of developmental ability if you will develop him. Dalton well he still sucks and honestly, Kapernick imho is a flash in the pan runner that will be forgotten soon enough. That entire class were really horrible with accuracy. Gabbert was probably the best of the bunch.

This group consists of better arms and better accuracy.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Any thoughts on why so many went in the first round in 2011, but arguably the better passers this season are predicted to fall out of the first entirely?

Heh.. could it be because of the failures of 2011?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the QB classes had been so weak that people bought into nothing but potential. Teams were desperate.

This time around, teams aren't as desperate but it seems like a lot of teams are positioning themselves to get a QB at the end of the first. I didnt think a QB would go in the first a couple months ago but now, I could see Geno, Manuel, Barkley, Nassib all going in the first.

Legend
Legend
People bag on Newton because he didn't have a great year last year .... but he completed 57% of his passes for 19 TD and 12 INT. He averaged almost 8 yards/pass. He also ran for 700+ yards and 8 TD.

He didn't have the year he had as a rookie, but he still had a damn good season. His QB rating actually went up from his rookie year. (for whatever that says)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Newton but he is what he is. He has a big arm with great mobility, limited accuracy and not very bright. I think Chud got the most out of him, I mean the guy throws more dirt balls than anyone in the league besides Colt lol

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree Mourg that this QB-class is over-hated, but still a developmental class. I also agree that the value to pick a QB thus comes in the 3rd to 5th range. The best fits are Bray and Glennon (I assume EJ Manuel is long gone by then), but L.Jones can play in Norv's scheme too. The most stupid thing to do would be to buy high on Geno, hopefully it won't be us

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
for the 1st round.. IF the Browns do decide to get a QB in the first round.. in my mind its Geno Smith or die. Anyone else would be a waste.

I'd rather have a guy like Tyler Bray in the 4th (if he's there) to bring on board than draft Manuel.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Legend
Legend
E
There is no scenario in this draft that I would want us to pick a QB in the 1st round - We do not have an established Franchise QB but that doesn't mean we do not have a prospective Franchise QB. We do not have URGENT NEED. There really is no QB in this draft that would step up n provide a better chance to win then what we got. In lieu of that - 3rd round or later could be where the strength of this QB class is.

I'm hoping a Wilson, Glennon or Nassib will be there. All will depend how far the top 3 drop. Geno, Barckley n Manuel. But if we amass all those 2nd round picks by dropping back. I still do not want a QB investment in the first round.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

There is no scenario in this draft that I would want us to pick a QB in the 1st round - We do not have an established Franchise QB but that doesn't mean we do not have a prospective Franchise QB. We do not have URGENT NEED. There really is no QB in this draft that would step up n provide a better chance to win then what we got. In lieu of that - 3rd round or later could be where the strength of this QB class is.

I'm hoping a Wilson, Glennon or Nassib will be there. All will depend how far the top 3 drop. Geno, Barckley n Manuel. But if we amass all those 2nd round picks by dropping back. I still do not want a QB investment in the first round.

JMHO

Agreed 100%, but I'll expand your first sentence to say that there is no scenario in this Draft that I would want us to pick a QB, at all.
We have a prospective franchise QB and a solid backup..... sign an UDFA and be done with it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

sign an UDFA and be done with it.

Lalich! Lalich!! Lalich!!!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The 2013 NFL Draft is only 6 days away. I have put together a prediction as to what I think the Cleveland front office might do to strengthen this team. I beleive a lot of these picks and actions are a real possibility for our Browns in this draft. Hope it's a good read for you.

2013 NFL CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT PREDICTION:

#6 Browns trade down with Miami:
To move up from No. 12 to 6, the Dolphins need to surrender 400 points on the trade-value chart, which is Pick No. 50. Miami owns the 54th-overall selection, so that should definitely be enough. The Dolphins actually possess two second-rounders, so giving up one of them to get a highly athletic left tackle is well worth the price. If they have the ability to make a move like this, they absolutely have to do it and Cleveland appears to be a willing partner.

12. Cleveland Browns: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
The Browns may want to add a pass-rusher, and there will be plenty available at this juncture. However, Xavier Rhodes will almost definitely be on the board at No. 12 and it makes all the sense in the world to slide down six spots, fill a CB need at this point and to get back into the 2nd round. This move is a no brainer for a Cleveland team with 18 wins in 4 years and lots of holes to fill.

TRADE
Tampa Bay needs a DT at this point with the #13 pick and a CB too. The Bucs will trade for DT Ruben from Cleveland and give up their 2nd round pick #43. The Bucs then draft Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington and fill both needs in the 1st round with one being an experienced NFL DT in Ruben.

2nd Round
#43 from Tampa Bay trade:
Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
The Browns catch a falling prospect here. Kevin Minter is projected to go at the end of the first round, so he's a steal at this juncture.

#54 from Miami trade:
Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
The Browns have this pick from the trade in Round 1.
Michael Lombardi loves having tons of pass-rushers, so he could be looking for one early in the 2013 NFL Draft. With Ruben gone and the middle still solid, the Browns go after that pass rusher they need with this pick. These moves could keep Sheard at DE where he truely belongs.

ROUND 3
#68 Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State
Michael Lombardi signed Jason Campbell to compete with Brandon Weeden for the starting job, but neither quarterback is a long-term solution. The Browns will probably draft a signal-caller in Rounds 3 or 4.
Mike Glennon has been linked to the Cardinals so the Browns pull a fast one taking Glennon a pick earlier. It could be smoke, but Glennon is a perfect fit for Turner's vertical offense.

ROUND 4
#104 Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
The Browns need someone to play opposite Ward. Here's another great need pick for the Browns as they continue to fill holes for Horton's new defense.

ROUND 5
#139 Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
The Browns get a late round steal here and fill a need as well with Stills. Josh Gordon improved as the 2012 season went along, but the Browns need another receiver to go along with the inconsistent Greg Little and injury recovering FA Nelson.

#164 Brian Winters, G, Kent State
The Browns address another need and get a versitle player here in Winters. Winters is a tough finisher at left tackle, garnering plenty of recognition as a long time starter. He possesses the athleticism to be a late second to early third day pick and a solid NFL starter at guard or tackle in a zone-blocking system.

ROUND 6
#175 Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado
The Browns signed Kellen Davis and Gary Barnidge, but that won't prevent them from drafting a tight end in the middle to late rounds.

ROUND 7
Best players available

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
I've watched a fair amount of EJ, he always looked like the kind of kid that should be great... he just never was. Very inconsistent, poor decisions, questionable accuracy.. As they say around the NFL, he's one of those guys that looks great getting off the bus and working out in shorts, he just doesn't seem to have what it takes on the field for me to consider as a first round pick...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Honest to God, I don't understand why people want the team to trade Rubin. He has consistently been our best DL, and the best player on what might be our strongest unit, Why would we dump him, and weaken our DL? He's not old. He's not in decline. He has shown that he can be a strong player in the 3-4.

I just simply do not get it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I agree why trade Rubin when we have already managed to recoup our second round pick trading down with Miami( hypothetical). We would be trading a player we know is good for one that has a chance of being a bust. I wouldn't mind Rhodes and Moore. Don't really want Glennon. If Weeden ain't the guy I say we roll with what we have until next draft. I wouldn't mind if we spend a late round ( 5-7) pick on a QB.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I like EJ Manuel a lot but not with the Browns 1st round pick. I think Manuel will go in the 1st round so no hope of getting him. My hope is the Browns get a chance to draft Dion Jordan who I think might be the best player in the draft. I think it would be a mistake to draft Milliner. There are plenty of CBs that can be found in later rounds.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watching ESPN 32 earlier and Polian former Colts GM said he had Landry Jones as his #1 QB with Barkley as his #2 and I forgot who he said for #3.

I have to admit, even though I like the upside of Manuel more, if the owner comes in and says draft me a QB in the first, I probably go Landry Jones. I am not convinced any QB should go in the first but I love the arm and the accuracy of Jones. I dont love the brain farts from Jones.

Manuel I think you take if you are prepared to teach him how to be an NFL Quarterback for a few years.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Honest to God, I don't understand why people want the team to trade Rubin. He has consistently been our best DL, and the best player on what might be our strongest unit, Why would we dump him, and weaken our DL? He's not old. He's not in decline. He has shown that he can be a strong player in the 3-4.

I just simply do not get it.

Well, he's getting close to 30 so you know banner

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Honest question...What has Landry Jones accomplished that EJ Manuel hasn't? Honestly, when I hear someone say a player at the same position "needs more work" over another player I get interested in the analysis. Especially since EJ Manuel is rated higher than Landry Jones by every expert other than Bill Polian.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There's a few reasons why the Browns should trade Rubin. Now you do not have to agree but try to keep an open mind just for a minute.

1. Ruben is scheduled to be paid 6.2 million in 2013 and 6.9 million in 2014. That is a heck of a lot a money to pay for a rotational player.
2. As far as pure position players go, the Browns only have 2 true DE's on the roster (Sheard 6'3" 254 and Adams 6'5" 255) and they are thinking of moving Sheard out of position (OLB). That leaves the Browns with Rubin 6'2" 330, Bryant 6"6" 300, Winn 6'4" 294, Hughes 6'3" 309, Sanford 6'2" 280, Taylor 6'3" 355, and Kitchen 6'1" 344 all 6 of which are DT's to fill the 3 positions along the line. That will mean at least 2 of them will be playing out of position. For a team that had next to no pass rush in the last 4 years combined with only 18 wins, why would you want to go into the season with no true DE's hoping they can make the conversion?
3. Not to mention the fact that the DE's in the 3/4 are critical in forcing the pass rush but must be nimble enough to drop into coverage if both OLB's rush - who the heck out of these guys do you believe can cover anybody - Rubin? not in this lifetime. Or do the Browns just skip that part of the 3/4 defense because they don't have the players?
4. Finally, when a team has only won 18 games in 4 years (with the players mentioned) I don't believe you go into the season with a minimum of 3 players (in this case Rubin, Sheard, and Winn) playing positions they have never played in the NFL. The Browns were ranked 23rd in total defense in 2012. The Browns have never finished a season since returning to the league in 1999 higher than 20th against the run. Knowing this, why the heck would the Browns even consider going into the season with at least 3 players playing out of position in what can only be considered an experiment.

18 wins in 4 years, never better than 20th against the run, and the 23rd ranked defense and the Browns are going to try players in different unknown positions? Could be why the Browns are the 3rd losingest team in the last 10 years - this is not a time to experiment. Build a winner, not a patched together team just so you can take the field.

Rubin at this stage gives the Browns the most value in a trade. He can most likely get the Browns back into the second round where they can actually draft a true position player and save 6 plus million. Can it work for the Browns playing these guys out of position - MAYBE. However, it's a huge risk for a team that has been as poor as the Browns have been over the last 10 years (3rd losingest team) and has a much greater chance of backfiring than being successful. I don't believe that a team that has only won 18 games in 4 years is in a position to take that risk.

I guess this could be just another "hard learned lesson" for the Browns if they stay this course. Of course, as fans, we should be used to this type of management by now and the ultimate 4-5 win season. Same moves just a different management cast with probably the same results. Time will tell!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
On the EJ Manuel question - when are the Browns and their fans going to understand that until they complete the rebuild proiject and get players playing positions where they produce - no QB is going to be successful in Cleveland.

It's time to quit talking about a QB and start fixing the other parts of this team that need fixed. Truefully, the Browns offense still needs a true #1 WR - like it or not. The Browns are still suspect at G and it needs to be addressed. QB might or might not be a question but until the rest of the team gets fixed how do we really know?

A good offense will help a defense. A good defense will really help an offense. The 23rd ranked defense and never higher than 20th against the run since 1999 does not help an offense. The Browns need to fix the defense to help the offense. BAL and PIT are contenders every year because their defenses are top notch and help the offenses be successful. The Browns 23rd ranked defense is not helping make our offense successful.

Before the Browns talk QB again, how about trying something successful like the winning teams in our division have proved works - finish building the defense - get some offensive weapons - then look for that franchise QB who at least has a chance of being successful.

Wow, what a novel idea.

Legend
Legend
You did see the purple font right?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That is a heck of a lot a money to pay for a rotational player.

Aren't most big men on the D line rotational to some extent?

Quote:

18 wins in 4 years, never better than 20th against the run, and the 23rd ranked defense and the Browns are going to try players in different unknown positions?

Are you putting those records on Rubin? Do you think they are his fault?

Quote:

Rubin at this stage gives the Browns the most value in a trade. He can most likely get the Browns back into the second round where they can actually draft a true position player and save 6 plus million

Saving 6 mil is fine, but do you really want to trade a proven player for an "I hope this guy can do the job" kinda player?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't want to trade Rube. However, I'll completely understand if they do and get an early 2nd Rd pick.

If they do trade him, it will be because he doesn't project to the DE position AND he makes too much money if that's the case.

I think he will do well at DE.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
If we trade down, it is to draft Manuel...that's my prediction

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
I posted an article the other day that said that Rubin is down to 305 to play DE. He should be even quicker than he has been.

In his last season in the 3-4, Rubin had 83 tackles. (with 2 sacks) That is a staggering total for a DL, especially a NT.

Then he switched to DT, and had 83 tackles and 5 sacks.

Last year he had some lingering injuries, and recorded only 44 tackles and 2 sacks in 13 games. Oh, he did force 3 fumbles though.

Regardless, look at a team like the Steelers. It took 2 of their DL combined to account for 83 tackles.

On the Ravens, Ngata had 51 tackles and 5 sacks last year as a 3-4 DE. I see no reason not to expect at least those tackles numbers from Rubin, and we might even see that number of sacks given out of him.

Rubin is probably my favorite player on this team. He is a guy who came in without fanfare, and made himself into a player. He was a 6th round pick in a draft that went from downright awful to decent just because he was a part of it. (other players that year ... Bell, Rucker, Hubbard, and Hall) He has shown that he can play in any defense, and play well. He has done well under more sedate defensive coordinators like Jauron, and "wild man" types like Ryan. He is a football player, through and through.

That's what we need.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Ruben is scheduled to be paid 6.2 million in 2013 and 6.9 million in 2014. That is a heck of a lot a money to pay for a rotational player.

If a DT is getting more than 65% of the snaps, there is a serious lack of depth or that DT is in great condition. Rubin I believe plays around 70% well until last year when he was injured.

2. As far as pure position players go, the Browns only have 2 true DE's on the roster (Sheard 6'3" 254 and Adams 6'5" 255) and they are thinking of moving Sheard out of position (OLB). That leaves the Browns with Rubin 6'2" 330, Bryant 6"6" 300, Winn 6'4" 294, Hughes 6'3" 309, Sanford 6'2" 280, Taylor 6'3" 355, and Kitchen 6'1" 344 all 6 of which are DT's to fill the 3 positions along the line. That will mean at least 2 of them will be playing out of position. For a team that had next to no pass rush in the last 4 years combined with only 18 wins, why would you want to go into the season with no true DE's hoping they can make the conversion?

Most 3-4 DE's are converted 4-3 DTs

3. Not to mention the fact that the DE's in the 3/4 are critical in forcing the pass rush but must be nimble enough to drop into coverage if both OLB's rush - who the heck out of these guys do you believe can cover anybody - Rubin? not in this lifetime. Or do the Browns just skip that part of the 3/4 defense because they don't have the players?

Yea I see 3-4 DE's sprinting back into coverage all the time well at least once ever couple of games or atleast a couple times a year anyway.

4. Finally, when a team has only won 18 games in 4 years (with the players mentioned) I don't believe you go into the season with a minimum of 3 players (in this case Rubin, Sheard, and Winn) playing positions they have never played in the NFL. The Browns were ranked 23rd in total defense in 2012. The Browns have never finished a season since returning to the league in 1999 higher than 20th against the run. Knowing this, why the heck would the Browns even consider going into the season with at least 3 players playing out of position in what can only be considered an experiment.

Winn is one of those rare hybrid college DE's that could slide inside which makes him perfect for 3-4 DE. Rubin can play either nose or DE, he was pretty good at DE when Rogers was healthy. Sheard is the only guy that is really changing position.

Anyway, I would not be surprised at all if we trade Rubin but I will be upset about it as he sets the standard on that line and has everyone hustling on every play. It is contagious and it starts with him.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Good points Mourgrym agree with most n I don't understand all the talk about trading Rubin...6 mil is not that much for a Good Starting DLman.

Also noted was Rubin being 330...he now is 305 n should be quicker. Excellent against the run n can rush the pass as he was not know as a pass rusher but has surprised us with some impressive sacks. Note most Passing downs he has not been in.

Just cause he is playing a position not played before...why assume he will Struggle when he has not struggled as of yet. Attack D is not that hard to transition to...it is not a discipline read n react - it is point the player at a specific GAP n saying...SICK EM!!!

Not that simple but I can guarantee you a lot more simple than the 3-4 D we were in w/Rac n then Mangini...Simpler than the Jauron 4-3 DT. Now at 305 I'm curious on his quickness as long as the 25 lbs lost was all FAT! His motor has been amazing...he also has been such a good LEADER to other young DTs. I don't know why we would get rid of him...6mil is not that much. He could be AWESOME.

Winn actually did not fit as a DT in our 4-3. He was about as perfect a 3-4 DE as there can be. We got Rubin, Bryant n Winn...we actually need one more to step up for the Roster n Rotation or in the draft for depth.

New D...for EVERYONE on our ROSTER except for Groves!

Got to go n get ready for Church...hey we need all the help we can get

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

From the beginning of this draft process the guy that I liked in the quarterback class was Tyler Wilson.

Leadership and toughness go along way in the NFL. Wilson has those characteristics in spades. He also possess and quick live arm.

Here is an article by this guy who sees Wilson in the same light as I do:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...-in-qb-rankings

Dream draft for me is Dion Jordan at six or trade down. Then get Tyler Wilson in the third.

Doubt that will happen. The Browns do not seem to have Wilson on their radar.

D
Legend
Legend
D
EJ Manuel get good vibe after his visit with the Browns:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...t_river_default

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- While watching film of EJ Manuel during a private workout Saturday at Florida State, Browns coach Rob Chudzinski turned to Manuel and said, "Man, that reminds me of somebody I used to coach."

That somebody was Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, whom Chudzinski coached as a rookie in 2011 and again in 2012. But Manuel, one of the players the Browns are considering with their No. 6 pick, didn't have to ask Chudzinski who he was talking about.

"He already brought up Cam when I was up in Cleveland on Monday," Manuel, a dual-threat quarterback who went 25-6 at Florida State, told The Plain Dealer after the workout. "I think coach Chudzinski sees a lot of Cam Newton in me, so that's kind of in my favor as far as being a guy that's very similar to Cam's playing style."

Manuel, who's been projected to go anywhere from the top five in the draft to the second or third round, has also taken some of the same pre-draft beating that his good friend Newton -- the No. 1 overall pick in 2011 -- endured.

"They said Cam was a third-round pick and he went first overall," said Manuel. "I'm sure a lot of people doubted him just like they're still doubting me. Coach Chudzinski did a great job with Cam and you saw how well he transitioned to the pros. He was Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowler. If I get drafted by Cleveland, I know coach Chudzinski and (offensive coordinator) Norv Turner would do a great job of getting me ready to play."

Manuel, who threw 41 TDs against only 18 interceptions in his two seasons as the fulltime starter, got a great vibe from the Browns after they worked him out Saturday and hosted him for a pre-draft visit on Monday. In addition to Chudzinski and Turner, Turner's son Scott, the Browns receivers coach, also attended Saturday's workout Saturday.

"There's no telling what these teams are really thinking, but I think it's good that Cleveland wanted to come work me out five days before the draft," said Manuel. "I left Cleveland on Monday and they were here on Saturday. The turnaround was quick, and when they left today, I felt like I made a good impression."

Manuel has also received a good look from other teams picking high, including the Jaguars at No. 2, the Eagles at No. 4, the Bills at No. 8 and the Jets at No. 9. Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who figures to run a read-option, recruited Manuel for Oregon and worked him out privately last month.

"Those are most of the teams that have worked me out and brought their head coaches, GMs, quarterback coaches, the whole crew," said Manuel. "After the way some of these workouts have gone, I think I'll go fairly high. I don't know about the top 10, but I expect to go in the first round. Some of the teams might consider me (a top five pick). We'll have to see how it all plays out."

In addition to the Newton comparisons from Chudzinski, Manuel got some great feedback from Turner, who will double as the quarterbacks coach.

"He had a lot of good things to say about my game and what I can do moving forward," said Manuel. "They know I can throw the football, but they wanted to see how I'd react to coach Turner's coaching, my footwork, how the ball comes out of my hand, everything."

When Manuel left Cleveland on Monday, the coaches packed him up with a little offensive homework for the weekend.

"I had to write a few things down for them and I think they wanted to see if I put in the time to study it and I did well," he said. "I wasn't perfect, but they also wanted to see how you react when you're wrong -- if you figure it out and correct yourself."

During his pre-draft visit, Manuel ran into quarterback Brandon Weeden, whom he first met at an Elite 11 quarterback camp in California two years ago.

"I'm good friends with Brandon," Manuel said. "The possibility of the Browns drafting me didn't really come up. If I happen to get drafted by the Browns, I'll obviously want to compete and he knows that. But it was moreso just saying hello and letting him know it was good to see him."

Manuel, who feels he's the top quarterback in the draft, anticipates starting somewhere in 2013.

"Any opportunity I go into, I think I'll have an opportunity to start," he said. "If a team drafts you early, they expect you to come in and battle at that position, so I think I'd do really well moving into the Browns organization. At the same time I think I could still learn from Brandon and Jason (Campbell)."

Despite the comparisons to Newton, Manuel (6-4, 237) patterns his game after Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger, which should please Browns fans.

"I know I'm very similar to Cam in size, and speed and things like that, but I usually watch film on Big Ben," he said. "I'm a big, strong, durable quarterback. That's what I love about Big Ben. He doesn't run to run. He runs to try to get open to throw the ball. A lot of people may say I'm a runner, but anytime I'm scrambling around, I'm looking for a receiver and trying to get the ball into their hands."

NFL Network's Mike Mayock has been so impressed with Manuel that he could see him going No. 4 to the Eagles.

"(Manuel is) as raw as can be," Mayock said on a conference call this week. "He has a big arm and he's very athletic. That's why I moved him up to my second quarterback. Because his upside is better than all the other quarterbacks in the draft, except for Geno."

He added: "I think Chudzinski and Chip (Kelly) very much have their eyes open as to quarterbacks who can throw the ball, because that's critical. But also who can hurt you in the run game?"

ESPN's Jon Gruden said this week: "I like EJ a lot because I think you can call just about any scheme you want to call. He's a presence inside the 10-yard line much like Cam Newton in Carolina is. I've seen him run various option plays and we know that's certainly a major point of emphasis in the NFL right now. . . . I think he has a tremendous skill set that allows him to do a lot of different things. If you're with a creative offensive coach, look out. He could be a good player."

Manuel stressed that there's at least one comparison with Newton that's dead on.

"Cam wanted to be great," he said. "And I want to be great too. I don't want to just get into the NFL. I want to make a career out of it and make an impact in the league."

Has Chudzinski found his next Cam?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Thoughts on E.J. Manuel QB/Florida State and trade down scenario?

Link Copied to Clipboard