Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#779262 04/25/13 12:40 AM
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Many analysts have us taking Geno smith, ill puke if that happens. To me, there is no way i see HOW YOU CANT DRAFT A Corner IN ROUND 1, especially if we cant trade back, which i dont think we will be able to do. I dotn see any of the 3 elite left tackles being left by the time pick 6 comes. So if we are stuck at 6.....it HAS TO BE A CORNER.....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
slick #779263 04/25/13 12:44 AM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Agreed, Trade or not, wherever we pick in the first we need to take the top corner on the board. As well as, grabbing a safety in the first 4 rounds. This draft is deep in Safeties.

slick #779264 04/25/13 01:11 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Many analysts have us taking Geno smith, ill puke if that happens. To me, there is no way i see HOW YOU CANT DRAFT A Corner IN ROUND 1, especially if we cant trade back, which i dont think we will be able to do. I dotn see any of the 3 elite left tackles being left by the time pick 6 comes. So if we are stuck at 6.....it HAS TO BE A CORNER.....

I hope not. I have too many people coming over tomorrow and something might get smashed or worse if we take Smith at 6. Don't want an angry mob on my hands!

#gmstrong
S
slick Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

I hope not. I have too many people coming over tomorrow and something might get smashed or worse if we take Smith at 6. Don't want an angry mob on my hands!

My bday was a few days ago..the 22nd...but i always celebrate it on draft night. I make my favorite meal, cheese fondue with a pot of oil to cook breaded mushrooms and also small pieces of steak. It has helped ease the pain of many miserable drafts in recent years.....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
slick #779266 04/25/13 01:57 AM
Legend
Legend
There's a storm coming and it's called Michael Lombardi.

I have a horrible feeling in my gut knowing this man is in charge of our drafts again.

slick #779267 04/25/13 03:01 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The Curtain Lifts
2013 senior bowl/tackle denard robinson/by derick hingle

By Fred Greetham
OBR Senior Browns Reporter
Posted Apr 25, 2013

The Browns were 5-11 for a reason, but even Banner admitted he inherited a core of good, young players.

0 Comments

Draft day is here.

For Browns fans, unfortunately, it’s been the most anticipated day of the year for far too many seasons. The new regime with Joe Banner calling the shots will start to unfold as the draft process plays out. The free agency period tipped their hand as to what Banner, Mike Lombardi and Rob Chudzinski thought of the team they inherited.

Some of the moves were obvious with the team switching to a 3-4 and adding outside linebackers Paul Kruger and Quentin Groves and defensive lineman Desmond Bryant. They added a couple of tight ends in Kellen Davis and Gary Barnidge, but neither is expected to be the second coming of Antonio Gates.

The only cornerbacks the team added were Chris Owens and Kevin Barnes, who seem to be suited as slot cornerbacks. Neither appears to be players who can start opposite of Joe Haden.

Jason Campbell was added to compete with Brandon Weeden, but he isn’t expected to be the long-term answer.

Last year, the Browns had 26 players of the 53 man roster in their rookie or second-year season. They made the determination to get even younger and thus far have let all of the 18 unrestricted free agents leave. Many of those players were near the age of 30 or older. Currently, there are only two players under contract who are over the age of 30, Campbell (31) and kicker Shayne Graham (35). Both players were signed as unrestricted free agents.

The Browns were 5-11 for a reason, but even Banner admitted he inherited a core of good, young players. The Browns need to come out of the 2013 draft with at least two players who can start immediately, if not three. I feel they need a starting cornerback, free safety, inside/outside linebacker and possibly a tight end or guard.

Obviously, they can’t address all of their needs in this draft, but if they can be prudent with their selections they should be able to find some players that will help immediately.

Here are my thoughts on what I feel the Browns should do to address their needs.

Coming out of the pre draft meeting with Banner and Lombardi, I feel the Browns first priority is to trade down and acquire more picks, especially a second-round selection. However, there are several teams reportedly trying to do the same thing, so they might not be able to pull it off.

Here are a couple of scenarios I would be happy with. If they keep their pick at sixth overall, I feel they need to address the cornerback position. Dee Milliner0 despite having five surgeries, is a player that can be plugged in immediately opposite of Haden and would solve a major problem.

However, if Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah are there, I would be fine with either of those picks as pass rushers are like pitchers in baseball-you never have too many of them.

In past years the Browns have traded down in the first round and added players like Alex Mack and Phil Taylor, but I think it’s time they add a blue chip difference maker if they have the chance.

If they don’t acquire a cornerback with their first pick and can’t get a second-round pick, they need to get the best cornerback available in the third-round.

However, if the Browns can move down a few picks in the first-round and acquire Xavier Rhoades, D.J. Hayden, Desmond Trufant or Johnthan Banks along with another pick, they can address two positions. They might be able to get safety Jonathan Cyprien or Matt Elam in the second-round at safety or Zach Ertz or Vance McDonald at tight end with that pick.

I haven’t talked about the possibility of selecting a quarterback up until now. Many of the national writers have the Browns taking Geno Smith with the sixth-pick. To me, it is more likely if they were to trade down to use the first-round pick to take Smith or use the extra pick to take E.J. Manuel. I would much rather see the Browns let Weeden play this season and if they are going to select a quarterback take a Matt Scott, Zac Dysert or Tyler Bray in the middle rounds.

The Browns can address wide receiver, offensive line and inside linebacker in the middle rounds.

Whatever happens, we’ll soon know what Banner, Lombardi and company are really thinking—but then again, whatever happens, they will say that is the player(s) they wanted all along.

web page

#gmstrong
ddubia #779268 04/25/13 04:21 AM
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
yeah I dont think drafting Geno Smith will happen by the Browns. I saw that also and would be sick also if they took him at 6. was reading on facebook earlier and mary kay cabot is reporting that the pick will be Dion Jordan. I was hoping for Milliner really and hope it happens if we stay at 6

slick #779269 04/25/13 06:41 AM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I don't want Geno Smith, but I won't be sick or upset. I'll just be skeptical. On the other board a few years ago, the overwhelming consensus was how terrible Cam Newton would be. It reminds me of Geno this year. Everyone labeled Cam an immediate bust and were scoffing at the notion of him going #1.

Anyhow, I want Jordan or Milliner at #6. At the end of the weekend, we need a starting CB and a FS that can at least challenge Gipson/Hagg.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I don't want Geno Smith, but I won't be sick or upset. I'll just be skeptical. On the other board a few years ago, the overwhelming consensus was how terrible Cam Newton would be. It reminds me of Geno this year. Everyone labeled Cam an immediate bust and were scoffing at the notion of him going #1.

Anyhow, I want Jordan or Milliner at #6. At the end of the weekend, we need a starting CB and a FS that can at least challenge Gipson/Hagg.

Geno Smith ... Where there is smoke there is fire

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
ddubia #779271 04/25/13 09:04 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The Browns need to come out of the 2013 draft with at least two players who can start immediately, if not three. I feel they need a starting cornerback, free safety, inside/outside linebacker and possibly a tight end or guard.

Coming out of the pre draft meeting with Banner and Lombardi, I feel the Browns first priority is to trade down and acquire more picks,

We have to realize that we have two picks in the top 100? and three in the top 150.

i mean... I feel like if we get ONE starter and camp fodder/backups this year it will be a win. It work out well because the premium talent this year is the worst in a long time. At least we can get the best CB that we desperately need. Team BL do not play smoke screen well.. Everyone has to know they are going CB. They left too big of a hole there and the talent we could have acquired in FA this off season lets us know our FO fell in love at an early age with Millner.

the more I think about it... Heckert knew this draft was going to be a bust.

***worst cases*** I expect we draft Millner, if he somehow goes ahead of us we will trade down, if that won't work and no one wants to trade... expect a rushed, flustered, and Brandon Weeden (irony) type pick of Geno smith. (worst case smh) I could also see us drafting Jordan or Ansah.

I expect us to get a CB, G, FS. I can't see a TE unless we trade down.

We don't need a starting ILB we have Duck Dynasty Craig and DQ. I could see an argument for another WR pr a P lots of backups possibilities. I think after our 3rd pick we will just go pure bpa.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Geno Smith ... Where there is smoke there is fire

Where there's smoke there could be a smoke screen.

I don't buy for a minute they're serious about Geno Smith. Of course I could be wrong, but I believe we go straight defense with our first two picks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #779273 04/25/13 09:27 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I will DESTROY my friend's house if we take Geno. Maybe his car too...

The only positive I can think of to taking him is HOPEFULLY he'd be able to sit & learn for a WHILE before getting in the game.

But then I remember who QBs 1 & 2 are...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Glad you're not coming to my house. It wouldn't kill me to take Geno, I just don't think we will. In fact, I think our only chance at a trade down involves Geno or one of the three tackles still being there at 6.

Of course I also expect the Raiders to trade down and negate our shot at a trade. We'll see in about nine hours.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I don't blame you. Try tossing a bucket of wet buffalo wings in to the ceiling fan that is set on high speed.

That makes a statement!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #779276 04/25/13 09:39 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I don't blame you. Try tossing a bucket of wet buffalo wings in to the ceiling fan that is set on high speed.

That makes a statement!

I literally laughed out loud.

Ballpeen #779277 04/25/13 09:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That makes a statement!

Not sure, but I think I've never heard of that happening.. I like it.. LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'll be sure to film it.

Now want to do it regardless. Maybe if the Blue Jackets lose...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll be sure to film it.

Now want to do it regardless. Maybe if the Blue Jackets lose...

I see what you did there...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Ballpeen #779280 04/25/13 11:01 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That makes a statement!

Hey, I only did that once!

OK, 3 times ..... but still ......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
the most Irate I ever got over the Browns was in 1980 (there were others) when we had Minnisota down 24-9 (No 2 Pts then) and they came back in about 5mins. (a Win would secure the AFC Central Title) and they scored (Kramer to Rashad) with no time left, my dad was there and went bonkers, I turned every chair in the room over, and through a fresh pot of chile across the kitchen I am so glad God changed me

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
LOL....I threw a full plate of Spagetti against the wall over the same game....I got my behind beaten from that.....broke the plate sauce or noodles everywhere, you can still see a small discolored when the plate hit, we've even painted a couple times....LOL

ClayM57 #779283 04/25/13 11:14 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

LOL....I threw a full plate of Spagetti against the wall over the same game....I got my behind beaten from that.....broke the plate sauce or noodles everywhere, you can still see a small discolored when the plate hit, we've even painted a couple times....LOL

I was 24 and married so I had to clean it up before my wife got home from shopping (shes not a fan of any sports except our kids and grand children)

ClayM57 #779284 04/25/13 11:15 AM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
LINK

Report: Browns want into top 3 for a pass-rusher

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 25, 2013, 9:24 AM EDT

Might as well go ahead and make all the mock drafts (more) fruitless early in the day.

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, the “rumor out there” is that the Browns want to move up into the top three picks, from their current sixth slot.

The thinking is that they want to get in front of the Eagles (fourth) and Lions (fifth) to get the pass-rusher they covet. And since Browns CEO Joe Banner has insight into the Eagles front office from his days there, he has a clear sense of what they need and what general manager Howie Roseman values.

If they’re third, they’d miss out on no more than one of the top prospects there, as the Chiefs are expected to take an offensive lineman, and no one’s clear whether the Jaguars in the second spot go tackle or find a Leo for new coach Gus Bradley’s defense.

Such a move would put the Browns in position for perhaps Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah or Barkevious Mingo, as the annual run on guys who get to the quarterback begins.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

LINK

Might as well go ahead and make all the mock drafts (more) fruitless early in the day.

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, the “rumor out there” is that the Browns want to move up into the top three picks, from their current sixth slot.

The thinking is that they want to get in front of the Eagles (fourth) and Lions (fifth) to get the pass-rusher they covet. And since Browns CEO Joe Banner has insight into the Eagles front office from his days there, he has a clear sense of what they need and what general manager Howie Roseman values.

If they’re third, they’d miss out on no more than one of the top prospects there, as the Chiefs are expected to take an offensive lineman, and no one’s clear whether the Jaguars in the second spot go tackle or find a Leo for new coach Gus Bradley’s defense.

Such a move would put the Browns in position for perhaps Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah or Barkevious Mingo, as the annual run on guys who get to the quarterback begins.

NO WAY ... JMHO

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
It'd better not happen.

I seriously doubt it.

S
Legend
Legend
S
What if they felt like there were only a few elite prospects. I'm sure they had a good list of guys with a round one grade, but if you weed out those guys from the absolute can't miss guys (according to them) I have no problem with moving up to make sure you get one of these guys. You have to trust your scouts. I said that as soon as they hired these guys. Hire the best scouts and let them do their jobs.

If they feel like they are missing out on an elite talent if they don't move up, then go ahead and do it.

I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just saying get the best players you can, and do what you have to do to get them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I say we take Landry Jones late and he's our starter in 14-15.

1oldMutt #779289 04/25/13 11:49 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I say we give Weeden a year in a system that better fits his skill set. If he succeeds, we have our QB already. If he doesn't, we KNOW he just doesn't have it and we get one next year.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

You're inviting rabid Browns fans over to your house on draft day? Are you insane?! You need to seek psychological help.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I say we give Weeden a year in a system that better fits his skill set. If he succeeds, we have our QB already. If he doesn't, we KNOW he just doesn't have it and we get one next year.

plus, if he fails, then we have a good shot at Clowney. or Bridgewater, Manziel, or Boyd

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I agree Top Dawg, i just hope the FO does also ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Im counting on Weeden stepping it up. Just seems FO are not fans.
Its a draft I wish we had about 3 2nd rounders and a few thirds. The gold is in the middle rounds I think.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

LINK

NO WAY ... JMHO

I can't see us moving up as we just don;t have the ammo to do it without giving up next years first rounder which would be one of the dumbest moves EVER in this draft.

I have a hunch we come away from today with a pass rusher at 6....either Jordan, Ansah or Mingo.

Really, there's four scenarios as I see it.

1) The top three LTs are taken in the top 5 picks along with Jordan and either Floyd or Lotutei. We take Milliner as only people trading up would have wanted a LT.

2) The top three LTs are taken in the top 5 picks along with Jordan and Floyd or Lotutei or Ansah or Mingo. We take either Ansah or Mingo as we believe we can get a corner in round 3.

3) The top three LTs are taken in the top 5 picks along with Jordan and Milliner. We take either Ansah or Mingo.

4) One of the top three LTs in on the board when our number is called and we're able to trade down and pick up a second rounder. With our lower first rounder, we go BPA with the exception of DT where we are loaded. Second rounder we likely grab BPA at either corner or OLB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My best guess as to what will happen tonight.

Browns trade #6 to San Francisco

for

#31, #61, 2014 First Round pick.

San Fran takes Milliner.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

for

San Fran takes Milliner.

In this draft, I take that all day.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

for

San Fran takes Milliner.

then, Kaepernick gets hurt, Colt has to start, and the Browns get Clowney

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

for

San Fran takes Milliner.

BIG drop ... even with next years #1 I would ask for a 4th and 5th also ... JMHO

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

for

San Fran takes Milliner.

Actually, thats a good point. Maybe go for next years 1st and 3rd.

BIG drop ... even with next years #1 I would ask for a 4th and 5th also ... JMHO

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

How many more hours to the draft... I am heading to Buffalo Wild Wings in Waxahachie Texas - tequila shots until the draft... so if they take Gino I will so wasted I may take BALLPEEN's suggestion.

Most likely have altercations with Cowboy fans tonight.. the pusses.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Waxahachie

Wow, havent heard that name in a while.....been there.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) ROUND 1 THREAD

Link Copied to Clipboard