Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Another smurf DB? What are they thinking....

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

COOL

I was against trading picks for Bess, but trading back in the 4th and 5th? Good move. We got a reliable WR. I like it!

looks like the deal was misrepresented... i was looking at the draft board and yes we swapped 4th round picks only dropping 7 picks... but we dropped from 5th round 31st pick (#164) down to 7th rnd 11th pick (#217). so yes we swapped 2 picks but 2nd set wasnt from same round

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

Quote:

Seems like he can play. Run stuffer.

That was good. Thank you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Probably won't see Dj, Pit, mac, 32, Memphis, etc on this thread from here on out. Unless, my calling them out-------calls them out. LOL

I didn't want him if it meant giving up a value pick. Since we got him seemingly cheap, I can live with that.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Legend
Legend
P
Here's to our new FO ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Good move by the Browns. Probably won't see Dj, Pit, mac, 32, Memphis, etc on this thread from here on out. Unless, my calling them out-------calls them out. LOL

Your agenda-BS is getting incredibly old. I already posted in this thread before this useless post of yours and said I would be stoked to see him as a Brown for a 5th+, so considering we gave up even less, I'm extremely happy. Great aquisition....of course I also applauded the D.Lweis trade, the FA signings of Kruger, Bryant and Groves, but somehow you keep ignoring that fact....guess it didn't fit the crap you're up to

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Btw, the compensation is as follows:

We got Bess + pick 111 (4th) + pick 217 (7th)

Dolphins get picks 104 (4th) + 164 (5th)

We essentially paid a tradedown in the 4th + a trade down from low 5th to mid 7th

According to the trade value chart, we gave up net value of a mid 5th round pick.

Still a VERY good trade, especially if we signed him long term

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Slower Little? Dude is nowhere the size of Little.

Good possession receiver, got for peanuts.

Works for me.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
Is it just me, or should we be pretty well stacked at WR now?

Are they thinking about a lot of 4 and 5 wides, or something??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the details DJ. Anything involving the McCoy pick is playing with house money. I like this move a lot.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd say it's pretty set. Gordon has big play potential. Little is big and physical. Bess is our move-the-chains guy. Benji is a situational, open it up burner, and Nelson is another tall guy who is a solid contributor as long as he returns healthy. Norwood was tendered- I'm not sure if the guy has a spot right now. I'm happy with our WR's. Plus we have the run game.

I'd say our WR corps is definitely solid. But the TE's are making me a bit nervous.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I'd say it's pretty set. Gordon has big play potential. Little is big and physical. Bess is our move-the-chains guy. Benji is a situational, open it up burner, and Nelson is another tall guy who is a solid contributor as long as he returns healthy. Norwood was tendered- I'm not sure if the guy has a spot right now. I'm happy with our WR's. Plus we have the run game.

I'd say our WR corps is definitely solid. But the TE's are making me a bit nervous.

Who is left at TE???

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Who is left at TE???

Gragg, M.Rivera, Kasa or Sims in the 5th....would not draft any of them in the 4th considering what's left on the board...I'd take Gragg in the 5th or gamble for one of them to fall to our early 6th rounder at pick 175

#gmstrong

V
Legend
Legend
V
If he wasn't such a dynamic returner, I would wonder if Benjamin even makes our roster this year???

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Who is left at TE???

Gragg, M.Rivera, Kasa or Sims in the 5th....would not draft any of them in the 4th considering what's left on the board...I'd take Gragg in the 5th or gamble for one of them to fall to our early 6th rounder at pick 175

Don't wat Sims, Kasa I like ... Not familiar with other 2

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Seems like he can play. Run stuffer.

Looks stiff in the hips, but I heard that he can really stick with a receiver.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Still hating on Stoneburner, eh Django?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Still hating on Stoneburner, eh Django?

Nah, simply have not seen enough to say anything about him

#gmstrong

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I like this trade a lot!!!!

It gives us a proven veteran receiver that I think fits very well with our current talent. And like someone said, we got him for peanuts.

Nice move

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If he wasn't such a dynamic returner, I would wonder if Benjamin even makes our roster this year???

He's certainly not a sure thing.

I'd call it Homer Syndrome ... let's face it - we all like to see our Browns flash, and when it happens, it become instantly memorable, because we don't get too many flashes, so we end up clinging to the good memories instead of the bad ones.

We do it in life, we do it in football.

When a new regime comes in ... they have no ties to these memories ... and sometimes they will fix what is not broken. I know the tired quote tells us not to ...

... but we always do.

I know most fans have the fairy tale idea that when a new regime comes in, they intently break down every Browns play frame-by-frame and evaluate things through the eyes we do and so forth...

But that's not what happens.

Guys in those big roles generally have a team of guys they trust to report things to them. Not to say they don't watch tape of the new team ... they certainly do ... they discuss it, and debate it like we do ... but they don't have our memories or allegiances

At this point, if you're Chud or Horton or Turner or Banner*, you're looking at Benjamin as a potential speed #4-return guy. A nice asset, but if he wasn't in your initial plans, how impressive is he, really?

I think Benjamin makes the team. But I won't be shocked if he doesn't, though I think the board would go nuts if we did.

*I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd say that Lombardi's main purpose with the team is his knowledge of the structural integrity of BB's drafting system. Oddly enough, BB is not a great draft guy, but he understands the principles of charting and value better than anyone. Ozzie adopted it. And Lombardi drools over it.

Legend
Legend
I think that Benjamin could find himself in competition with Norwood for the return job. The loser could find himself on the outside looking in.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

I think that Benjamin could find himself in competition with Norwood for the return job. The loser could find himself on the outside looking in.

WIth the aquisition of Bess, I think the odd man out is Norwood. The film on Benjamin saves his position over Norwood. I can see Norwood regulated to the Practice squad. The WR corps looks more like this:

Gordon and Little
Bess, Nelson, and Benjamin

Practice Squad guys: Cooper and Norwood

I'm fine with that lineup BTW!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Wow how did the front office work out this deal? we seem to have gotten a decent possession WR for virtually nothing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This sure cost a lot less than what they were originally asking for. It went from a trade that made very little sense to becoming a steal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

This sure cost a lot less than what they were originally asking for. It went from a trade that made very little sense to becoming a steal.

Not a fan of Bess but can't really knock the trade parameters. Plus an extension alleviates the one and done possibility. Interested to see the contract numbers. My guess it that it's more that what he is making now.

We don't lose picks (just swap down a few) and get a vet WR.

Spells trouble for Norwood IMO if these WRs can stay healthy.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Good move by the Browns. Probably won't see Dj, Pit, mac, 32, Memphis, etc on this thread from here on out. Unless, my calling them out-------calls them out. LOL

Your agenda-BS is getting incredibly old. I already posted in this thread before this useless post of yours and said I would be stoked to see him as a Brown for a 5th+, so considering we gave up even less, I'm extremely happy. Great aquisition....of course I also applauded the D.Lweis trade, the FA signings of Kruger, Bryant and Groves, but somehow you keep ignoring that fact....guess it didn't fit the crap you're up to

This poster is all about agenda BS. Doesn't take time to read people's opinions on any topic and simply blankets everything black n white if anyone disagree with him. Yes, it is VERY old and VERY trollish.

Watch out or he'll bring out those omniscient "big guns"!

Tackles are tackles.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm pretty pleased with this deal. Picked up a slot/possession receiver for swapping a few picks- not bad at all.
If this team only did not have a huge hole at QB, we'd be on to something. Here's to hoping Weeden figures it out!!

The funny things is, when this team starts winning- the credit will go to Banner and Lombardi- but it was Heckert that laid this foundation. Its not like there was this huge influx of change to the core players. Of course the flip side is, here comes another 5 win season because the core players are the same

D
Legend
Legend
D
Say what you will, but Heckert really contributed hugely to this team. I agree with you 100%

And also, yes here's to hoping Weeden improves and shows his worth...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Wow check out this highlight reel. He is pretty elusive with great balance. Looks to be good in the return game with good vision.

http://www.youtube.com/v/6lxgjPED1Us

His hands look like a thing of beauty, so fluid and soft. Nice route running... I am liking this trade quite a bit! Memphis said it best, I think this spells trouble for Norwood and probably Nelson too... HOWEVER, it's good to have depth.

Gordon, Little, Bess, Benjamin, Norwood, Cooper and Nelson. Seem like a wide array of various body types, speeds and skillsets. Sounds like game planning should be fun for Norv.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nelson will be on the outside, Bess in the slot. No problem for Nelson, assuming he's healthy. Norwood and Cooper now have someone directly in front of them. I see Norwood making the roster before Cooper, but they could both be gone if we only go with five WRs: Gordon, Little, Nelson, Bess, Benjamin. Norwood could hang around if Benjamin doesn't become more sure handed and start running better routes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The acquisitions of Bess and Nelson are simply to help the QB.

Nelson at 6'5 is a huge target in the endzone to compliment Gordon and Little.

Bess is an elusive shifty move the chains on 3rd down receiver.

Both are vets. Both are still young. Very good value in these 2 moves. Move the chains and improve touchdown to field goal ratio.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I've given them credit for a lot of good moves this off-season. I give them credit for this one as well. I like Nelson's talent but he has major durability issues.

We got Bess on the cheap and it filled a need. I try to give credit where credit is due but not give it away for nothing. There are positives and negatives to this FO and each deserves to be pointed out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Bess is incredibly elusive. And at this point in his career a savvy pro. He's going to move chains as a guy Weeden can count on to get open on 3rd and 8.

If you want Bess to run away from anybody after 20 yards you're going to be disappointed.

It's a great pickup and it's nice to have a WR corp with clearly defined roles.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree there is a variety there for Norv. I do not think we have success this year without Norv's new and improved offense IMO

Scoring more and moving chains should help us a bunch. Hope to see some "Brennan-esque" catches in the clutch from Bess.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If you want Bess to run away from anybody after 20 yards you're going to be disappointed.

I have absolutly no problem at all if one of our players is tracked down after a 20 yard pick-up.

I hope to see that 8-9 times a game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
is this are best move as a team?

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
hey ballpeen we agree on something how have you been

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

I have absolutly no problem at all if one of our players is tracked down after a 20 yard pick-up.

I'm with you. If I'm disappointed 6 times a game, that's a 120 yds/game average

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt!

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Yeah this is a steal. Only trading back but still having draft picks and getting Bess. I like our recievers way more with Bess and Nelson added to them.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns "seriously considering" trade for Davone Bess?

Link Copied to Clipboard