Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Legend
Legend
D
Banner in the Banner and Chud conference said they extended Bess's contract three years, so we'll have him a total of four years! I DIG it!

Rookie
Rookie
j/c

From getting to work with Davone back in his UH days, one thing I know is that nobody will out work him. He was always the first person on the practice field and one of the last to leave. Very humble and hardworking young man!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Gotta love seeing this...

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Now our young Receiving Corp has a veteran presence to look to ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Now our young Receiving Corp has a YOUNG veteran presence to look to ...

Hope you don't mind I added a bit to your post, as we didn't get older by getting the veteran.

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Now our young Receiving Corp has a YOUNG veteran presence to look to ...

Hope you don't mind I added a bit to your post, as we didn't get older by getting the veteran.

Not at all lonewolf ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
-
1st String
1st String
-
Just give him number 16 so nobody has to take take down any front facing Cribbs posters considering he looks pretty similar

D
Legend
Legend
D
Bess says Miami departure was bittersweet, but Cleveland will be a stepping stone for him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ng-stone-for-me

Legend
Legend
Quote:

but Cleveland will be a stepping stone for him

Hopefully the true context of that isn't such that he's already looking forward to getting out of here. We don't need that in the locker room.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
He's already signed a three year contract extension. Don't think he would have done that if he didn't care to be here.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's already signed a three year contract extension. Don't think he would have done that if he didn't care to be here.

Hopefully. It depends on how much he felt that he needed out of Miami, I guess.
Not saying it's so, just a little Devil's Advocate.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Here's the article:

Davone Bess had a nice career with the Miami Dolphins, going from undrafted free agent to productive slot receiver over the course of five seasons.

That relationship ended Friday night, when Bess was sent to the Cleveland Browns for a pair of mid-round picks in the 2013 NFL Draft. The Browns then quickly signed Bess to a three-year extension.

"My initial reaction was it was bittersweet, obviously being down here in Miami since my rookie year, having developed a relationship with the organization, the fans and kind of embracing my opportunity was something special here," he said in a Monday conference call, according to The Plain Dealer.

"But all good things, they say, must come to an end. To jump ship to Cleveland was a great opportunity, a great stepping stone for myself in my career. So personally it was a great move for me. I'm thankful for the future and I'm looking forward to being a Brown."

Bess sat out the final three games of the season with a back injury. That reportedly irked the Dolphins, who believed Bess was healthy enough to play. Bess said he doesn't know if that played a role in his exit.

"To be honest, I have no idea," he said. "I kind of left that in last season. It was a touchy situation, but we let bygones be bygones. We squashed it, you know? We moved forward and that's the end of that."

In any event, Bess is a sure-handed veteran who, along with David Nelson, gives the Browns two decent options in the slot.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
Legend
Legend
Groovy Sounds good to me

Browns is the Browns

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
between 2008 and 2012, bess has 130 catches on third down.

color me sold.

plus he can help with punt returns.

double sold.

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
Legend
Legend
j/c

I'll be honest- I wasn't sold on this new FO when they were hired. I was skeptical of Joe Banner, and absolutely hated the Mike Lombardi hire.

Still... I decided to wait- and start to form my opinions based upon how they handled their first off season actions.

Dawgs- I gotta say this, with all candor: I'm less skeptical than I was. They seem to have set a plan, and stuck to it. The drafts show a sense of purpose, the FA pickups addressed needs, and they didn't do some outrageously crazy stuff when they could have.

The Bess pickup falls right in line with what I saw.

We'll need a reliable "chain-mover" in every game, and I expect Norv to set him up to do just that. Picking him up didn't cost us The Bank.... and we'll need a veteran presence on such a young team.

Sometimes, the "not-so-sexy" picks can make a big difference in the development of a team with this profile.

His numbers make him seem like a latter-day Joe Jurevicius... and a player like that is ALWAYS an asset for any team.

A solid hire. No complaints here.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/05/cleveland_browns_quarterback_j_9.html

Bess' contract: The three-year contract extension of receiver Davone Bess through 2016 is worth $11.5 million, with $5.75 million guaranteed.

His yearly average is $2,939,000.

Bess, 27, was acquired in a trade with the Dolphins during draft weekend for a swap of fourth-round picks. The Browns also exchanged their fifth-round pick for the Dolphins' seventh.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
E
Legend
Legend
E
Where's Mac?
Obviously we are letting him leave after his 3 year contract is up cause he will be 30

lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Where's Mac?
Obviously we are letting him leave after his 3 year contract is up cause he will be 30

lol

And especially if the fans like him. Banner always releases the fan favorites.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Love this years WR group. Gordon Little Benjamin Bess Nelson Norwood. I think we are stacked. I don't see Cooper making the cut, he didnt show the best hands, did not get the first downs, could not leap for the ball and I don't think he makes it this year. With a recieving core like this stretching the field, I can't wait to see TRENT tear it up.

GO BROWNS!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I like your enthusiasm, but if we don't get at least mediocre QB play, all that talent is for naught.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I like your enthusiasm, but if we don't get at least mediocre QB play, all that talent is for naught.

We pretty much had that last year. I'd expect at least some improvement....no?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bess should be a huge addition. Little and Gordon should be better because of experience. Hopefully, TRich will play better. So, we are probably better offensively at most positions--other than TE--this year. However, QB is still a huge question mark?

Do I expect him to be significantly better? No. I think he will be better due to scheme and coaching, but he has too many holes in his game.

Do I hope he is significantly better? You bet.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His stats won't show it but Little played really well down the stretch, didn't see any drops toward the end of the year. Ran better routes and got his hands out in front to catch balls. I think with some better coaching, Little and Gordon are going to be a formidable tandem, with bess and even that short little white guy (he's pretty good and has great chemistry with Weeden) did we cut him? In addition to whatever Nelson brings us, our receiving core looks like it's in pretty decent shape.

Legend
Legend
I think that his light went on at some point.. And what you saw was the real Little.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

We pretty much had that last year. I'd expect at least some improvement....no?

I agree. Weeden was mediocre, showing hot and cold flashes.. he needs to be above mediocre and a lot more consistent.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Little played almost brilliantly down the stretch. I think that he only had 1 or 2 drops in his last 6 or 7 games. He really cleaned up his game in the 2nd half of last year. He talked about getting better with the help of a mentor, and then he did it. That was nice to see.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
From my small understanding of it, he had been fighting with fans on the internet over the drops, etc... and at/after the Bye, he gave up fighting and got serious about becoming a Pro. I'm thinking that some savvy words got into his ears and he woke up. Maybe it was the release of Robo, or perhaps it was the conduct of Gordon, or maybe it was the coaching staff. Whatever it was, it got his attention and he took things to heart.

His play was dramatically better from then on out, and consistently so. Basically, he grew up.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I know that he said that meeting with Alonzo Mourning was a pivotal moment for him ..... that Mourning really impressed upon him how to be a pro ...... how to find the time to improve ...... how to "sacrifice" the unimportant, time wasting things ... etc.

He was definitely a changed man after meeting with Mourning, and a much better player from that time on.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Bess should be a huge addition. Little and Gordon should be better because of experience. Hopefully, TRich will play better. So, we are probably better offensively at most positions--other than TE--this year. However, QB is still a huge question mark?

Do I expect him to be significantly better? No. I think he will be better due to scheme and coaching, but he has too many holes in his game.

Do I hope he is significantly better? You bet.

I think I read somewhere on this board that Weedz was in the shotgun fewer than almost ALL other starting QB's last year. IMHO, this was inexcusable, since he played almost exclusively from the 'gun in college. My prediction is that he'll look noticeably (maybe not significantly) better in a ChudNorv system than he did last year. Square pegs fit round holes very poorly. At least he'll be in a system that's more in line with his skill set.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he might be able to do. One thing's certain: this will be a make-or-break season for him- the Browns can ill-afford to wait if he stinks up the joint.

Man... it sure would be nice to see a Browns team without a perpetual "?" hanging over the QB position, wouldn't it?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

One thing's certain: this will be a make-or-break season for him- the Browns can ill-afford to wait if he stinks up the joint.

Man... it sure would be nice to see a Browns team without a perpetual "?" hanging over the QB position, wouldn't it?

Definitely make-or-break as I think that this is as close to a tailor-fit system for his as you're likely to see in the NFL. I think that we'll see a whole different Weeden, but the lone remaining definer, I think, will be how well can he read the defenses. If he gets that down a bit better and knows at the snap generally where is is going to go with the ball (and read things right so that he isn't getting baited to throwing into coverages), I think he can light it up at least as well as Anderson ever did. Until I see otherwise, I maintain that Weeden projects to being an Anderson clone that has a short game.... which should bode decently for us.

As for the QB spot in general... I'd be content at this point with "eh, we can work with this for a while".

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
LOVE IT .... GREAT MOVE ... Nice job Morons ... lets hope this don't fall under the blind squirrel finding a nut theory ....

U know what blew my mind .. reading the initial blurb about Bess after the trade .. they crapped all over him cause of his small YPC Avg. and lack of TD's .. I just couldn't believe how they de-valued this guy ... I can't believe how little actually catching the ball and being able to run routes and GETTING TO THE FIRST DOWN MARKER doesn't mean anything at all anymore ..

Color me Blue .. I LOVE THIS PICK UP ....

Chud and Norm have some weapons .. can't wait to see this O when we get a triggerman ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I know that he said that meeting with Alonzo Mourning was a pivotal moment for him ..... that Mourning really impressed upon him how to be a pro ...... how to find the time to improve ...... how to "sacrifice" the unimportant, time wasting things ... etc.

He was definitely a changed man after meeting with Mourning, and a much better player from that time on.

As I recall, it was because of his meeting with Mourning.

I recall him saying that Mourning told him to drop the facebook/twitter bs altogether and focus/focus/focus.

It certainly didn't hurt that Josh Gordon showed up and proceeded to light it up. No doubt him (Little) dropping to 2nd fiddle put a fire under his a** as well.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns "seriously considering" trade for Davone Bess?

Link Copied to Clipboard