Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/barkevious-mingo?id=2540140

OVERVIEW

Mingo's long, lean frame sticks out to fans and scouts alike, almost as much as his unusual name. His svelte build was one reason his mother (who combined her name, Barbara, with the name Kevious to make his unusual moniker) did not want him or his two brothers playing football. But his athleticism and height eventually got him on the gridiron as a high school junior and he proved too productive wherever he lined up to be taken off the field.

Though "KeKe" only started three of the 14 games he played in 2011 due to the team's depth at the position, the Louisiana native received second-team All-SEC notice from league media after racking up 15 tackles for loss and eight sacks (including two against SEC West rivals Arkansas and Auburn). This breakout season was portended by his flashes of brilliance in his redshirt freshman season (35 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks) where league coaches named him to their freshman All-SEC team.

Mingo's production slipped a bit during his junior season (38 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks), but he once again earned second-team All-Conference honors. His usage at LSU didn't totally fit his skill set, and he has some holes in his game, but his overall talent as a pass rusher will likely be too great for teams to ignore.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Tall, long and explosive pass rusher who projects best as a stand-up, weakside edge rusher in the NFL. Incredible first step off the snap, can turn the corner on the outside and shimmy inside against leaning tackles. Not a contact-shy player despite his slight build, often lines up on the strong side and/or inside of tight ends in a tight alignment. Strong player setting the edge against the run. Willing to take on tackles man-up, extends his arms to keep distance and can get off to grab backs trying to get through the hole. Takes tight ends backwards into the background using his length and foot work. Works through blocks to get down the line to chase plays. Overall agility and length make him effective in coverage, can stay with running backs out of the backfield and wrap up receivers in space. Excellent straight-line speed shows when chasing down plays from behind. Uses his length and jumping ability to knock down passes if unable to reach the quarterback.

WEAKNESSES Very lean player, likely too thin in the hips to grow into an every-down defensive end. Needs to shed more consistently to prevent plays from getting outside of him. Long legs get in his way at times when trying to change directions quickly. Often gets too focused on scrapping with his blocker instead of getting his eyes in the backfield to find the ball. Did not progress in terms of pass rush moves during his career. Great player off the snap of the ball, but too often allows the offensive tackle to recover because he lacks a move to disengage.

NFL COMPARISON DeMarcus Ware

BOTTOM LINE Mingo looks almost too lean to handle the physicality of NFL linemen, but has surprising strength to go along with the elite length and straight-line speed to rack up double-digit sack numbers (he had eight in 2011) and track down ball carriers (15 tackles for loss) as a 3-4 rush linebacker at the next level. He is a proverbial boom or bust prospect. Mingo's production dropped as a junior, and he failed to show much overall growth in his game over the course of his career. However, KeKe flashed the talent and projectable skills to be a dominant NFL pass rusher, and a position switch will likely serve him well, as the LSU Tiger was too often asked to play in a tight alignment on the strong side in college; a poor use of his strengths. Mingo's length, athleticism, and pass rush talent figure to make him a top 20 selection in the draft.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
one of the dumbest picks i have ever seen. You have a blackhole sized problem at corner and you take mingo?!?!?!?!?!?! IDIOTS!!....just wait till haden gets hurt.........then what?!?!?!?!?!?!

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We'll see how he turns out. Welcome aboard.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Underwhelmed

It's also sad the media had this as well with it being Mingo or Milliner

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

one of the dumbest picks i have ever seen. You have a blackhole sized problem at corner and you take mingo?!?!?!?!?!?! IDIOTS!!....just wait till haden gets hurt.........then what?!?!?!?!?!?!

we blitz every down on every play because we have 5-7 high quality DL and 4-6 quality LB.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Come on, how bad could the pick be with "Bark" in his name?

I assume they're trying to build the strongest Front-7 they can. They'll find some secondary help in the 3rd round. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get an extra 3rd rounder.

I can't say I'm upset. I'm happy they didn't go Geno.

Go Browns!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
I like it

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
need a kicker anyone? Thanks lombardi! What a poor decision to pass on milliner.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Underwhelmed

It's also sad the media had this as well with it being Mingo or Milliner

Two things though ... if that's the case, then we got our choice of the two. The thing about Milliner though is he's had 5 surgeries supposedly. It's not going to help us any if Joe Haden goes down, and Milliner is already in street clothes on the sideline. Originally, I would of preferred Milliner, but I cooled off of that once I learned of all the surgeries.

Look at the bright-side though ... it wasn't Geno.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I hate Lombardi/whoever made this decision. How do you stare Milliner in the face and poop the bed??????

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

we blitz every down on every play because we have 5-7 high quality DL and 4-6 quality LB.

yeah and we will get burnt like toast....mingo had a whopping 4 sacks last year...WOW.....that sure does warrent the 6th overall pick doesnt it!!!! If haslam does lose this team...one good thing will be banner will be gone soon after that

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Not my first choice (Milliner), but a good pick for our front 7. Now what, if anything do we do with Sheard, maybe not, keep a rotation perhaps. Just glad it wasn't Geno, of course we could trade back in to get him, just hope not.

WELCOME MINGO, go put a hurtin' on the QB's we face.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I understand the pick. I have a hunch he was our guy all along. Hopefully, he'll be a beast.

I would have gone CB, but I'm going to wait and see how the rest of the draft plays out before getting too wound up about it. ::shrug::

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Have to say i would have rather had Milliner, But, Mingo is a very good player at a position we need help ... Now i really believe Sheard is History and headed to Atlanta ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
"A Mingo ate my Big Ben"

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
When's the last time you saw the browns have a pass rush? Yeah.. *crickets* ...

This front 7 is going to be outstanding. Who needs a secondary when you can't even throw the ball? This is what we gotta hope for.

oioioioi
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Have to say i would have rather had Milliner, But, Mingo is a very good player at a position we need help ... Now i really believe Sheard is History and headed to Atlanta ... JMHO

why would Atlanta need him??? dont they have two good d ends?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I get it now I just had an epipahny.... Mingo is going to be traded to the 49errs... if ... if the player we want is there when it is their turn.

we get their 2nd, 4th 5th and a 1st next year and swap firsts

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Obviously they did not think that Milliner was head and shoulders above what they can find later in the draft.

I don't think that Mingo would have made it out of the top 10. We'll see what happens with Milliner.

I do believe that the team values pass rushers more than corners. (as opposed to Heckert, who loved corners)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I wonder if the Rams offered that package to the Browns???? I would have been all over that

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I get it now I just had an epipahny.... Mingo is going to be traded to the 49errs... if ... if the player we want is there when it is their turn.

No chance. Why would we take a player we don't want just to wait and see if a player we do want is there late in the first? That would make no sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

(Abraham's replacement) The last time I was on the falcons board they were talking about how sheard would be better than any rookie they could draft @ #30 ... Denver also is looking at Sheard ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Certainly is a log jam in the front 7.

Nice luxury to have but I'm not sure I can stomach another season of Buster Skrine.

Don't hate it, just have no clue who the starting corner is going to be alongside Haden.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Come on, how bad could the pick be with "Bark" in his name?

I assume they're trying to build the strongest Front-7 they can. They'll find some secondary help in the 3rd round. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get an extra 3rd rounder.

I can't say I'm upset. I'm happy they didn't go Geno.

Go Browns!

the problem is that we are starting to look as stupid as Detroit for picking a WR in the first round 3 years in a row.

Taylor Sheard Rubin Kitchen Winn Hughes Bryant and Mingo that's 8 DL fighting for 3 starting spots and playing time.

we have DQ Groves Fort JMJ Roberton and Kruger at LB

who makes the move back to LB? Mingo? Sheard? Bryant?

IMO we added talent to one of the best DL in the league. The problem is that it doesn't matter how much talent you have in area if you can't get them all in the field at the same time. That is why this pick makes me scratch my head.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

No chance. Why would we take a player we don't want just to wait and see if a player we do want is there late in the first? That would make no sense.

yeah I know.. just farting around... I wanted a trade down so bad it was just wunderlust

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Never mind that $#!^ ... here comes Mingo!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
If Milliner doesn't go to the Revis-less Jets here, I'm convinced he's a big red flag to pro docs.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
And there he went...

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(Abraham's replacement) The last time I was on the falcons board they were talking about how sheard would be better than any rookie they could draft @ #30 ... Denver also is looking at Sheard ...

were did you hear the broncos are looking at him??? i would be shocked...noone wants sheard unless maybe for a 3rd round pick....

Legend
Legend
How good is Mingo against the run? Can he be a 3 down player?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

were did you hear the broncos are looking at him??? i would be shocked...noone wants sheard unless maybe for a 3rd round pick....

You might be surprised, and i heard it on espn last week ...

Legend
Legend
Mingo needs work against the run.

He's a situational pass rusher right now, and he's a developmental kid for the rest.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Now what, if anything do we do with Sheard, maybe not, keep a rotation perhaps.

I hope that is the plan keep rotating pressure on the qb

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You have to consider, well, you don't have to, but is the team willing to pay a number 7 overall AND a number 6 overall CB's all that money when it comes due. That's a hell of a lot of money for the 2 CB's.

We can get a serviceable CB in a later round who can become a good starter.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Going into the draft I felt the Browns first pick should address the defensive front seven. With Jordan and Ansah off the board, Mingo is a very good pick This was the right decision under the circumstances. Mingo's skills fit what the Browns want to do on defense.

Legend
Legend
Valid point.

Like others have said, maybe someone is on the trade block.

If you're a BPA guy, this pick might make you smile. If you're a need guy, you might be upset.

We haven't seen the rest of the draft yet.

I was watching some show recently and they were explaining that the recent Super Bowl winners were all stacked Front-7 squads with average DBs. Think about it, the Ravens are stronger up front. So are the Steelers. Remember the Giants two SB wins, can you name a DB off their roster before rattling off the overpowering Front-7?

I'm delighted with the pick, as long as hes the real deal of course.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How good is Mingo against the run? Can he be a 3 down player?

I think down the road but initially, no.

6'4", 241 LBS is a little light in the pants for a 3-4 OLB. Kruger is 6'4", 270 LBS.

Think he'll be pretty effective as an edge rusher but teams will gladly run right at him and away from Kruger, if given the chance.

His effectiveness will, in part, be directly affected by how good our down 3 can be at occupying guys and keep the wash off of Mingo.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
What if Sheard can't play OLB??? As you say "we have a big hole at OLB then"
I'm a SEC guy....Mingo is a beast!!!! I love Millner too...but we got a STUD!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Well we have the best 4-3 defensive line in football now! Wait that's the wrong defense right?

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Never mind that $#!^ ... here comes Mingo!

prob to play LB the prob is he has never had 10 sacks in a season

and with a massive 4.5 sacks last year and 2.5 sacks his freshman year

he had similar stats his freshman year as what he had in his junior year

what exactly stands out about this guy to be the number 6 pick in the draft?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Round 1 Pick: Barkevious Mingo

Link Copied to Clipboard