Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Why the hell would we trade Sheard?

Why, exactly?

We want lots of pass rushers .... to send rusher after rusher after rusher after the QB.

I will make you a bet right now that Roethlisberger will not pick him up by the throat and body slam him. I will bet anything that this does not happen.

I wouldn't trade sheard since mingo is not going to keep helathy with that lean frame of his.

I dont even want to think about what will be said if Big Ben stiff arms mingo into oblivian. Can hear it now, "Ben takes the Bark out of Cleveland", "The Dawgpound just lost its Bark" and it goes on an on ....

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

the negative Browns fan in me sees Jarvis Jones falling to the Steelers where Mingo and Jones where be compared for the rest of their careers and Jones has proven production in college and translates it to the pros....Mingo...well, let's hope he turns into Ware or Aldon Smith

Jones played standing up on every play and Mingo with his hands down and an OT in his face....big difference

We better hit the next picks as this is a classic boom/bust selection

Trying to stay positive I'll say that pass rush IS a premium and he DOES have the necessary motor to succeed...but man, he's sooo raw

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I pray Logan Ryan and Rambo are there for our round 3 and 4 picks

G
Rookie
Rookie
G
So, how many of you conducted the following, regarding Mingo?

Background check, game film study, review medical records, personal interview, reviewed college academic records, reviewed Wonderlic scores, observed player personally at combine, spent time discussing player's life, family and history, talked with his former college coaches, had multiple individuals with long NFL careers provide insight/opinions about player, etc.

If anyone hasn't conducted at least 4 of these activities, your opinions pretty much mean squat.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Here is the question that offenses now have to answer. Who do you double team on 3rd down Paul Kruger or Barkavious Mingo?

When Kruger was signed everyone said he was a product of playing opposite of Terrelle Suggs. Now he will play opposite a yound speed rusher in Mingo. Makes alot of since to me.

I am starting to think the Browns will move both Sheard and Rubin before this draft is over.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
I'm very ok with this pick. Calm down people. I liked Milliner, but 5 surgeries, and then playing through all of them? Had to take a toll, and he's smallish. I think Bark will excel standing up as OLB. He was miscast as a DE in the SEC. Then lets be honest........we have two real LBs right now. DQ and Kruger. We are going to run a 3-4. We need at least 3 OLB on the roster, maybe 4.........that can all ball.

There are other picks I would have liked of course, ( I mean we kind of are not......good). We have a lot of wholes. I still think we'll go get the CBs and safetys we need. We'll see. Next couple days will be interesting.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Right...because this board's posters have never picked better than the Browns front office......

Last edited by dawglover05; 04/25/13 10:14 PM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
I think this pick is to make sure Kruger can be effective. He needs/sure-can't-hurt to have a dynamic OLB on the other side. Who knows is Sheard would be able to do that really? He kind of reminds me of Kruger is he pans out in terms of his ceiling. So not sure if he's be as effective as a true speed rusher on the other side. imo

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Right...because this board's posters have never picked better than the Browns front office......

the sad part is... most of us have

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nothing but a Kam Wimbley Jr. all over again.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Lombardi has 17 drafts in the NFL and 16 of them qualify as busts, So I have to disagree

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Lombardi has 17 drafts in the NFL and 16 of them qualify as busts, So I have to disagree

I agree. I forgot the purple.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
slam dunk that jarvis jones is better than MINGO!

we are SUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Please troll somewhere else.

#gmstrong
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

I think this pick is to make sure Kruger can be effective. He needs/sure-can't-hurt to have a dynamic OLB on the other side. Who knows is Sheard would be able to do that really? He kind of reminds me of Kruger is he pans out in terms of his ceiling. So not sure if he's be as effective as a true speed rusher on the other side. imo

wait, we had to get an insurance policy for our $40 million dollar free agent pick up? at #6???????????????????

THANKS MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Please troll somewhere else.

relax.

i'm only on this board because they shut down the official board on the browns website.

you can blame MIKE for forcing me to this board.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

yea, and if the steelers would have picked mingo and we would have picked jones well then, mingo would be better .... typical

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

I'm very ok with this pick. Calm down people. I liked Milliner, but 5 surgeries, and then playing through all of them? Had to take a toll, and he's smallish. I think Bark will excel standing up as OLB. He was miscast as a DE in the SEC. Then lets be honest........we have two real LBs right now. DQ and Kruger. We are going to run a 3-4. We need at least 3 OLB on the roster, maybe 4.........that can all ball.

There are other picks I would have liked of course, ( I mean we kind of are not......good). We have a lot of wholes. I still think we'll go get the CBs and safetys we need. We'll see. Next couple days will be interesting.

this is good logic, thank you for posting. i don't like being told to like a pick just because the big, bad browns say its a good pick.

we did need lbs and it probably means that sheard (and probably rubin) will be gone before the draft is over this weekend. hate to lose to productive players just because they don't "fit". this team is REALLY going to struggle this year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't know if I would call it insurance but rather complimentary.

You wanted bookend corners with Haden and Milliner and the FO wanted bookend pass rushers in Kruger and Mingo.

Crennal and Manigini played the 3-4 and never brought in 3-4 OLB's to rush the passer atleast this regime brought in pass rushers to make the 3-4 work.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Background check, game film study, review medical records, personal interview, reviewed college academic records, reviewed Wonderlic scores, observed player personally at combine, spent time discussing player's life, family and history, talked with his former college coaches, had multiple individuals with long NFL careers provide insight/opinions about player, etc.

If anyone hasn't conducted at least 4 of these activities, your opinions pretty much mean squat.

AND YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF LIVING IN A VAN ...DOWN BY THE RIVER! But really you signed up to this board to post that bit of insight?

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Quote:

yea, and if the steelers would have picked mingo and we would have picked jones well then, mingo would be better .... typical

give me this:

mingo is a PROJECTION.

jones is a FOOTBALL PLAYER.

i don't think we got an impact player; we got a "projected" 3-4 OLB who's production went down the more he played.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

one of the dumbest picks i have ever seen. You have a blackhole sized problem at corner and you take mingo?!?!?!?!?!?! IDIOTS!!....just wait till haden gets hurt.........then what?!?!?!?!?!?!

starting already?

why don't we give the guy a chance. I wanted Geno Smith, but Im OK with this pick. This guy is a good player, and he is a good pass rusher....a great pass rush can mask the deficiencies of your secondary...ask the Steelers of the last decade + outside of Troy P their secondary is very average.

We have gotten picked apart the last few years because the lack of a pass rush...Mingo + Kruger + Desmond Bryant. Its a good start....just give the guy a chance....

Legend
Legend
Pete Prisco doesn't like the Mingo pick (big deal) but CNNSI likes it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/22139226/grades-2013-nfl-draft-round-1

C-

Browns select: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
Mingo has raw ability, but I just didn't see enough from him last season. I wanted more. And do the Browns have a need there?

(He loved Ansah though, favorite player in the draft ..... and Ansah doesn't have a long resume either)

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/25/barkevious-mingo-selected-no-6-by-cleveland-browns/

The Cleveland Browns’ move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense left them badly in need of another dynamic pass rusher or two. Consider them a step closer to where they want to be after their Round 1 selection of LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo.

Like Ziggy Ansah, who went just above him, Mingo is a bit of a work in progress — his production last season was disappointing (4.5 sacks), but he’s now headed into a defense that should fit his abilities better than the LSU one did. Combine him with new addition Paul Kruger and incumbent Jabaal Sheard at OLB in the Browns’ defense, and suddenly, that’s a pretty ferocious pass rush.

Mingo may not be able to grow much physically, already at 6-foot-4 and a bulked-up 240-plus pounds. But his speed off the edge is his selling point here.

Grade: B-plus. A really aggressive decision by Cleveland to stay put and take Mingo higher than a lot of people had him pegged. The Browns may not be able to play him three downs from the get-go, but his sack totals ought to easily surpass what he did at LSU in 2012.

(They gave the Lions a B, With kind of a boom/bust comment)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
i'm having flashbacks of buster skrine getting his lunch eaten by.......everyone! lol

you're right, 2 bookends for the 3-4 is great.

but i'll argue that we already had that with sheard/kruger. no way sheard stays. no way.

i guess we'll see what MIKE and joe have up their sleeves.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

give me this:

mingo is a PROJECTION.

jones is a FOOTBALL PLAYER.

i don't think we got an impact player; we got a "projected" 3-4 OLB who's production went down the more he played.

What he is is a big medical risk ... and I like him but he is a risk ,,

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

No point in having a message board then. Shut 'er down, Purp! BTW, nice first post.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
At this point all everyone can do is trust that the front office did their due diligence and research on the guy. With Horton running the defense and us having an attacking philosophy let's hope that he turns into our Harrison or something like it. Actually my first thought after seeing who we selected was wondering if anything was going to happen to Sheard. Just like many others on the board, I would not be surprised to see them trade Sheard or someone else away to move up into the 2nd round and get a CB. Now what would make my head explode is if they traded someone, moved up into the second round, and selected a TE.

Also, it wouldn't be that bad if we selected a FB sometime in the later rounds of this draft.

On another note. WHAT!? Bengals select Eifert when they have Gresham!?????

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
N
Legend
Legend
N
crazy as it sounds, mingo was the safest of the pass rushers. dion never had the production, ansah just started playing football, jarvis jones and his spinal stenosis.

milliner would have been my pick, but i'm far from upset at mingo.

(and crazy that the trade downs were getting little in return....bills / rams deal specifically)

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I am a little confused as to how they are going to play Kruger, Mingo, and Sheard-----unless they are going to trade Sheard??? Don't know.

I'm thinking initially Mingo will backup to Sheard.

Mingo's been playing with his hand on the ground so standing up might be good for him if he can transition to it. Both he and Sheard will be transitioning so it's going to be a bit odd on that side for a while.

I'm hoping Horton finds mismatches for each guy's strengths and we'll see one play more than the other depending on those mismatches vs. different teams.

Does that make sense?

I hate to think of it as two players=one player. But considering injury possibilities once a pass rusher goes down we're left with one. At least now we should be able to sustain with one injury. That's depth at that position we haven't had since our return. For that matter we haven't had 2 pass rushers at the same time. Now maybe we have three.

I could see all three on the field in certain situations. I could see Kruger move inside on occasion depending on what Horton thinks the offense is doing.

Knowing now how the FO was thinking I'm convinced they wanted Dion Jordan. I'm sure they had their eyes set on him, Ziggy or Mingo. They got one of them so that's a good job IMO.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Warts and all draft profile, shows the good with the bad.
Surprised how skinny he looks (i don't follow much college stuff tbh)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I think that Mingo will be a 2nd/3rd and long pass rusher, who is told to just go get the QB.

I think that he's going to be a nice weapon for Horton to use.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I don't see Rubin going anywhere, maybe Sheard.

This is probably how are front 7 is going to look:

Rubin(LDE), Taylor(NT), Bryant(RDE)

Kruger(LOLB), Robertson(LILB), Jackson(RILB) Sheard/Mingo(ROLB)

Legend
Legend
Here is Fox Sport's "Instant Comment" on Mingo:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft-tracker

What an athletic freak of nature. Mingo is a pass-rushing terror who will have an immediate impact in Cleveland. Some people thought the Browns would go quarterback here, but no dice.

All Pro
All Pro
I like the idea of watching Mingo and Jones square off for bragging rights twice a year. I refuse to adopt a defeatist mentality, expect the worst at every bend, and get suckered into believing all the reactionary garbage. In the words of my dear mother, "May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us; may the Lord turn their hearts. And if the Lord won't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping."

Last edited by VarmintKong; 04/25/13 10:48 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
mingo >>>>>>>>> QB in this draft

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, it makes sense.

Look, I think the guy is a good player who didn't get the opportunities in LSU's conservative defense that he will here, but I would not have drafted an OLBer, even though most people on here and nationally, wanted us to.

I am not saying it was a bad pick. I am not hating on the FO like so many people are doing. I just question the need.

My only explanation is that perhaps they took the guy who they had ranked as the best player left in the draft. I really have no problem w/drafting the BPA.

Again, I am not either thrilled or disappointed w/this pick. It's not as bad as last year or as it was it most years, but it's not really what I was hoping for.

In a word: Solid.

Legend
Legend
I am curious. Who would you have picked there?

I might have gone Milliner ..... but he is a bit of a reach there, and most teams with one exceptional CB on one side have a solid guy on the other. (although I do believe that the jury is still out some on Haden)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We also signed Groves, so we already were 3 deep at pass rushing OLB...as Vers said, I just didn't see the need and obviously disagree on the evaluation of Mingo. He's just not a day 1 ready 3 down player and at 6 overall I want more than a project/backup who will play only half the snaps at a position where we already had a big FA signing and a pretty good high 2nd rounder invested in...it just doesn't make much sense?

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns had Mingo/Milliner rated fairly even..but Horton had a lot to do with the pick.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I am curious. Who would you have picked there?

In the chat somebody quoted Banner saying they had an offer on the table (probably Rams)...I know for me that Eifert/Rhodes + 2nd(and more) >>>> Mingo....not even close imho

#gmstrong

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Round 1 Pick: Barkevious Mingo

Link Copied to Clipboard