Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
He seems to be a 3-4 linebacker and we all know we will soon be switching back to the 4-3 in another year. I guess we aren't looking to the future with this pick.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I just jumped through about 5 minutes of that video, dude missed A LOT of tackles.

Yeah - it's worse at the beginning of the video than the end. But he really needs to build up some arm muscles. He doesn't wrap up well at all.

~Lyuokdea
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Care to explain the thumbs down?

you had a good run Hank.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
As the guy pimping Bark for the last 4 months I am satisfied.

Legend
Legend
The nice thing is that he looks like he can add 10-15# of muscle without slowing down. He has a frame that makes 240# looks almost skinny. I think that he can get to 250# - 255# and still have ferocious speed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Been telling you guys since Jan, its bad freaking business to draft a #2 CB at the 6th spot in the draft. Esp one lacking fluid hips and elite ball skills.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I saw this quote from an article by Jamison Hensley with ESPN.....

"Even though Mingo didn't produce strong sack numbers, he still made quarterbacks move out the pocket and hurry throws. He recorded 28 total pressures (hurries and knockdowns), tied for the second-most in the SEC. Only Jarvis Jones (31), who was later drafted by the Steelers, had more."

He may have had only 4.5 sacks last year but he affects the QB alot. I love the attitude of BPA to fit the way the FO wants to see the team perform. This is a guy who can attack.

GO BROWNS!

Last edited by mdbrownie15; 04/26/13 01:27 AM.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
so that tells me he can get to the qb but is either out of control or cant tackle

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I know you liked Jarvis Jones..so it's not the position. Therefore it has to be the players.Is Mingo really that different from Jones? I mean I think Jones had a ton more stats because of the way that UGA used him. (didn't ask him to contain, didn't use him as a 4-3 end...etc) I like Mingo. His weakest area is probably technique but that's most college players. Let's say if Horton can coach him up.

Look at the brightside: 1) Best name in the draft possibly the NFL 2) Dingo/Mingo jokes 3) Best first step with effort 4) the Browns have 3 Pass rushers for 2 positions

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

2) Dingo/Mingo jokes 3)

*ahem* Mingo/Mongo jokes! Plus the whole "guy named Bark on a Dawg defense angle" ... he's a 10/10 if we were grading purely on his name. Too bad the rest of him is pretty raw, but I'm willing to give him a chance, and hope he maxes out his potential, as he would be a heck of a player.

Rookie
Rookie
^^^^^^^^^^Bump^^^^^^ +1

Here we go again
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

2) Dingo/Mingo jokes 3)

*ahem* Mingo/Mongo jokes! Plus the whole "guy named Bark on a Dawg defense angle" ... he's a 10/10 if we were grading purely on his name. Too bad the rest of him is pretty raw, but I'm willing to give him a chance, and hope he maxes out his potential, as he would be a heck of a player.

Putting the Bark back in the Dawg Pound....That's good I should copyright that.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

The Cleveland Browns could've gone with the flashy pick by drafting West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith. They could've played it safe by taking Alabama's Dee Milliner, the top-rated cornerback in the draft.

Instead, Cleveland made the right move in going with LSU pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo with the No. 6 overall pick, sending a message to the rest of the league: The Browns are coming after your quarterback this season.

The first free-agent signing by chief executive officer Joe Banner was Paul Kruger, the sacks leader for the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. The first pick of this new era was Mingo, one of the most explosive and athletic defensive players in this draft.

2013 NFL Draft -- First-Round Coverage
Rd. 2-3: April 26, 7 p.m. ET
Rd. 4-7: April 27, noon ET
Radio City Music Hall
New York City
Draft order | Draft home

• Seifert: High drama in Minnesota
• Sando: Rams not scared to move up
• Graziano: NFC East adds beef
• Kuharsky: Warmack won over Titans
• Walker: Marrone, Manuel bound
• Graziano: Dallas has odd first round
• Williamson: Raiders GM uncuffed
• Hensley: Browns send message
• Yasinskas: Panthers plug middle
• First-round Twitter reaction
• Photo gallery | Draft Machine

The Browns didn't address their biggest need at cornerback. They didn't bring in a playmaker to spark a long-struggling offense. What the Browns did accomplish was to put some fear into Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger and Andy Dalton.

"We've talked about bringing in aggressive players to play in an aggressive scheme. He fits that very well," Banner said. "This was the outcome we were hoping for."

How much did the Browns want Mingo? Banner said he had a trade in place if Mingo didn't fall to them. When he was there, the Browns didn't think about trading down.

The Browns are doing more than switching to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Ray Horton. They want to change the mentality. Last week, during the Browns' first minicamp, linebacker D'Qwell Jackson talked about giving the Ravens and Steelers "a little dose of their own medicine."

That wasn't the case last season, when Browns linebackers combined for 19.5 tackles for loss and sacks, the lowest mark in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Browns now have playmakers in Mingo and Kruger.

"We feel like building this the way we are, with character and aggressiveness and quickness, that this was the right guy at this time as we looked at our board," Banner said.

There will be some teeth-gnashing that the Browns didn't draft someone to improve upon the NFL's 24th-ranked scoring offense, but the Browns didn't need Smith, another strong-armed quarterback like Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell.

Some will worry that Buster Skrine is still penciled in as the starter at cornerback. As I wrote previously, Milliner doesn't make enough plays to be taken at No. 6.

Asked about passing over a cornerback, Banner said: "We're not going to force filling a need on a short-term basis. We're not going to fill all the needs on this team this year. It's just not going to happen."

Plus, teams can get by with average corners if they can put pressure on quarterbacks. Look at the Ravens, who won a Super Bowl with Cary Williams (a seventh-round pick in 2008) and Corey Graham (Pro Bowl special teams player) at cornerback.

"It all starts with the pass rush," coach Rob Chudzinski said.

The reason I like the decision to pick Mingo goes beyond his name, which sounds more like a character in the "Harry Potter" books. (His name, by the way, was made up by his mother, who wanted something different. His brother is named Hughtavious. Yes, really.)

In his first interview with Cleveland reporters, Mingo didn't sound overwhelmed by the upcoming challenges of the NFL, which comes from his SEC pedigree. His sacks dipped to 4.5 in his final season in college, but his confidence did not.

On his vision for his pro career, Mingo said: "I think I can be as good as I want to be -- and I want to be great. I want to be one of those guys that gets their names in Canton, Ohio, and be a dominant player."

Even though Mingo didn't produce strong sack numbers, he still made quarterbacks move out of the pocket and hurry throws. He recorded 28 total pressures (hurries and knockdowns), tied for the second most in the SEC. Only Jarvis Jones (31), who was later drafted by the Steelers, had more.

Mingo is freakishly athletic. He has a tremendous upside. Sure, Mingo needs to bulk up if he wants to defend the run, but he brings something you can't teach: an explosive first step.

"I think I'm the best pass-rusher," Mingo said. "Week 1 and the preseason, I'll get to show it."

Cleveland didn't need to draft a pass-rusher. The Browns already had Kruger, Jabaal Sheard and Quentin Groves (and Browns officials said they had no immediate plans to trade Sheard).

The Browns, though, made the right pick because they went with the best player available. Reaching for a player like Smith or Milliner won't change double-digit losses season after season. This is about building a team, and that begins with embracing an attacking style of play. And, adding some 'Bark' to the Dawg Pound seems appropriate.

"It really started with our coaching search and Chud's philosophy, which is part of the reason why he got the job frankly, about playing aggressive and attacking defense and making life uncomfortable for quarterbacks," Banner said. "It's about being on the attack even when the other team has the ball. I think you could see it in the moves that we made, whether it's in the free-agent moves or what you've seen so far in the draft. It fit the plan."

Whoa...Saw a video where McShay said 1 team had Mingo has the #1 player overall. I wonder what the trade was? Possibly the same deal as Bills got. I think it's fantastic the Browns done the legwork to have a trade in place.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/69287/browns-send-message-by-drafting-mingo

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
J/C

We'll see if this pick pans out. I like someone else on here (don't remember who) believe that Mingo looks almost like Wimbley coming out of college. He has a lot of work to do on his part to becoming elite on the next level and needs to get more muscle on that frame to shed the tackles he will be facing in the NFL.

I understand the pick with switching to the 3-4, but we desparately need to be looking CB in the 3rd or trade up in the second.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Plus, teams can get by with average corners if they can put pressure on quarterbacks. Look at the Ravens, who won a Super Bowl with Cary Williams (a seventh-round pick in 2008) and Corey Graham (Pro Bowl special teams player) at cornerback.

"It all starts with the pass rush," coach Rob Chudzinski said.

It would seem this is going to be their philosophy. Pass rush comes first, second and third. They don't care much about the secondary, they don't care much about stopping the run. They want pressure on the quarterback. They are going to blitz every down from every position. It could work as long as they do actually GET to the quarterback. You play ball like that you are going to give up big plays. Lots of them. So you have to MAKE big plays in return. Lots of them. On both sides of the ball. We shall see come September if they can actually get that kind of pressure and score like they will need to. If they can, it will be FUN to watch. If they can't, it's going to be a horror show.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

J/C

We'll see if this pick pans out. I like someone else on here (don't remember who) believe that Mingo looks almost like Wimbley coming out of college. He has a lot of work to do on his part to becoming elite on the next level and needs to get more muscle on that frame to shed the tackles he will be facing in the NFL.

I understand the pick with switching to the 3-4, but we desparately need to be looking CB in the 3rd or trade up in the second.

Everyone wants him to gain weight. Why? Harrison plays at 240. Best OLB in history Lawrence Taylor played at 240. Our Clay Matthews(Jr.) was listed as 6'2 245. I'm not saying don't get him in the weight room to gain strength but I wouldn't rush to pack pounds on a guy whose greatest asset is speed.

Legend
Legend
Speaking for myself, looking at Mingo's frame, I believe that he could carry a little more weight/muscle without causing him to lost his speed and agility. He looks almost skinny at 240.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

J/C

Everyone wants him to gain weight. Why? Harrison plays at 240. Best OLB in history Lawrence Taylor played at 240. Our Clay Matthews(Jr.) was listed as 6'2 245. I'm not saying don't get him in the weight room to gain strength but I wouldn't rush to pack pounds on a guy whose greatest asset is speed.

One key things all those guys have that separates them from Mingo is tackling technique. It's noted that he will hurry the QB, however, his tackling needs much improvement. If getting stronger in the upper body helps then so be it. He pretty much got owned by the best tackles in this draft and in the NFL you play against the best week in and out.

With Hortons reputation, I'm hopeful that Mingo's best qualities will show on the the field and his worse qualities will be improved on. We won't know anything until the season starts and Mingo gets some reps in the preseason.

Overall, I really think picking up Millner or trading back and picking up Xavier Rhodes plus a second or more picks would have been better suited for our needs; especially if the rumors of other teams interest in Mingo existed. The next logical thing would be to package Sheard in a trade into the second round, though I admit I haven't loss faith in Sheard developing into an effective OLB.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Went back and watched 4 games worth of film here:

http://www.youtube.com/v/dIms6ImVG6w

I like him more than I did before (might be rose color glasses). Some impressions:

Positives:
1.) Great first step when he is asked to pin his ears back
2.) Is often asked to seal the edge (especially against Manziel in game 1) this affects his numbers
3.) Knocks down a lot of balls at the line (I believe 6 in 4 games) - has long arms and times his jumps well.
4.) Has all of the OLB skills, comes out to cover TEs occasionally, or RBs out of the back field.
5.) Seals the edge against he run very efficiently, is asked to do this a lot, and RBs never really get outside.

Negatives:
1.) Is completely unable to come off blocks and make tackles against the run game. Doesn't wrap up well. Overall, dude needs to go to a weight room and do about a million curls. He kind of pigeon arms when wrapping up.
2.) Doesn't have a dominant pass rush move to go to, utilizes the spin - but doesn't use his hands well in order to move around contact.

There are a lot of positives here, he really just needs to add strength. Moving to OLB in a 3-4 will help minimize the impact of his biggest negative (the idea is that the DL takes up some blocks and lets your OLBs move freely).

Good post, and pretty much what I saw too of him. There's stuff to like about him, but man for staying at 6 picking such a raw player is borderline nuts. From everything you've written/seen, do you see a 3 down player? I don't know man...

Taking the Rams offer and then picking Eifert or Rhodes was the way to go imho. That said I'm ready to move on and the consensus can still righten the ship with strong selections at 68...in my mock I traded down for some additional mid round ammo, depending on what's left I hope we stay calm and NOT trade up in panic now to fill CB or FS

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

"A Mingo ate my Big Ben"

Excellent!

I hate the draft. It's worse than Christmas morning.

You always want the cool bike, but your parents buy you a bunch of clothes and a coloring book.

In the end the clothes are what you need and you use the coloring book as a ramp for exploding model cars.

There's a bunch more picks left and with this draft year it seems there's not a lot of elite players that have separated from the rest.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Have to say i would have rather had Milliner, But, Mingo is a very good player at a position we need help ... Now i really believe Sheard is History and headed to Atlanta ... JMHO

I've been resisting the thought that Sheard would be traded, but it sure seems like a real possibility now. A little surprised.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will be completely shocked if he isn't a total bust. Way to go Lombardi, your draft met my every expectation. Draft a pass rusher with no hand usage. BRilliant!!! Hey round 2 coming up lets draft a 1 legged kicker.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
J/C

I've never been much of a drafnik, so I don't spend much time watching college football or hunting down video clips of prospects in the off-season. Once we draft a guy though, I start looking for video to see what we may have in a guy. Here's what I have seen so far:

Frame-wise, he kind of reminds me of DeMarcus Ware. Mingo is, obviously, not as strong as Ware (yet, anyway). However, he is long and lean and has a build that can probably add 5-10 pounds without effecting his speed all that much.

As has been mentioned before, Mingo has an explosive first step. You can't teach speed so this was probably an important evaluation point for our FO. Lots of potential here.

His technique leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't use his hands well at all and needs to develop another move or two on the rush (it looked to me like he's one of these guys who made a living off his athleticism alone in college). The good news is that all this is correctable with coaching and he seems willing and eager to become as good a player as he can become.

All-in-all, I think I still would have been more comfortable going with one of the top CBs. However, Mingo could become a really good player for us IF he develops his considerable natural ability to its fullest. My only reservation is that tweener pass-rushers like this seem to bust more frequently than they flourish. Hopefully, we'll get to enjoy watching a young man blossom into a great pro and fulfill the promise he showed coming out of school (for a change).

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am reminded of last years draft. In the second round Heckert selected Schwartz and a lot of people flat out hated the pick. Said he reached. Said Schwartz was not worth a second round pick. Then we took Hughes in the third and the haters erupted. What a horrible pick, huge reach etc. Taylor goes down, Rubin gets hurt, and guess what? Hughes and Winn showed why Heckert took them. Schwartz had a bad camp. Preseason was rough for him. Many wrote him off immediately. I pointed out that Mack had a really rough start too and he worked out....and so did Schwartz. The point is, until we see Mingo on the field we don't know how he will work out. He may be great, he may be a bust. But freaking out about it now is jumping the gun....

V
Legend
Legend
V
I remember that. I was one of the ones who thought Schwartz went too early. He was actually one of the guys I wanted us to draft. I did my own player profile on him. I had him going in the mid 3rd to mid 4th round range. I thought we reached, but he proved me wrong. He had an excellent year.

Mingo was not my first choice. I wanted Milliner. After that, I was hoping for a trade down. But, I can see how Mingo can really help this defense. It doesn't seem like a great pick, but it sure doesn't seem like a horrific pick. Heck, Ansah went BEFORE Mingo. This draft is full of players w/big question marks. It's a weird draft.

And to top it off, look at how many teams are drafting players at positions where they created the need by letting current players go. Jets trade Revis and draft Milliner. KC wants to get rid of their LT and draft a LT. Detroit allows to DEs to depart and draft another one. Etc......

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

One key things all those guys have that separates them from Mingo is tackling technique. It's noted that he will hurry the QB, however, his tackling needs much improvement. If getting stronger in the upper body helps then so be it. He pretty much got owned by the best tackles in this draft and in the NFL you play against the best week in and out.

You can get significantly stronger and improve your tackling technique without packing on a bunch of weight. He's fast at 240, will he be so at 265? By all means get him in a weight training program. But forcing him to gain pounds just to say he's huge is ridiculous. We didn't take him to be a strong sider. We took him to play with speed.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I will be completely shocked if he isn't a total bust. Way to go Lombardi, your draft met my every expectation. Draft a pass rusher with no hand usage. BRilliant!!! Hey round 2 coming up lets draft a 1 legged kicker.

We dont have a 2nd round pick.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

And yet some will still say we screwed it up!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Always...Its so frustrating coming here sometimes.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns missed on trading back or maybe actually got the guy the always wanted. I have been posting that the Browns were hurting for certain at DE. It would appear that Horton and the crew believed so too. So the Browns drafted Mingo to fill that void. This brings me back to what I've been saying all along, the Browns have too many interior lineman and most are questionable as to being able to convert to DE or in Sheard's case OLB.

This is the perfect setup for the Browns to make the move and trade Rubin now to get back into the 2nd round. Rubin is the only player of the DL front that can get the Browns back into the 2nd round. Let's not kid ourselves, CB is a huge need on this team and I don't believe the Browns will want to wait until the 3rd round to get a shot at a CB. With 2 safetys and 4 CB's already off the board in the first 32 picks, it would appear that getting back into the 2nd round for a CB would become critical at this stage.

The top 4 CB's left on the board are:
Taylor, Boise St
Banks, Miss St
Alford, SE LA
McFadden, San Diego St

There's a huge drop off after that so if the Browns are looking at CB then they need to make some kind of move to get back into the 2nd round and I think it will take trading Rubin to do that.

I think we also have to keep in mnd that if the rumors are true about us potentially going after Miami WR Bess then it will cost us a late round pick. Though not popular at all, I think the Browns have to pull the trigger of trading Rubin to get back into the 2nd round to get a much needed CB. The positives are the Browns can unload a 6 plus million dollar contract and address a serious need at CB. The negatives are the Browns lose a great DT. However, Winn, Hughes, and Taylor have been great finds and Rubin will not be missed as much as people might think. Not getting a CB to play opposite Hayden will be a huge void in the defense. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions - question is will the Browns pull the trigger or will they take a chance on being continually burned in the passing game much like they were in 2012?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Technically we do.

We just got a zero interest 12-month advance on it.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Yes we do, his name is Josh Gordan ...

1. Barkevious Mingo
2. Josh Gordan

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am not hating the pick in as much as I thought "TRADE DOWN" was in play.

So Banner and co stuck to guns and went pass rusher. Thats what they wanted..the Fins disrupted it by stealing Jordan. And they took the next best DE/OLB.
Gonna say sumptin..the BROWNS first game is against the Dolphins..and Jordan..nuff said?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Technically we do.

We just got a zero interest 12-month advance on it.

In this case..as in spending it on a kicker like the OP suggested we don't.
But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
There are quite a few CB that rank right at or above some of those you listed. I'm not sure that Alford and McFadden are better than Poyer, BW Wilson, Ryan, Gratz, BW Webb, Mathieu etc. I think we will easily land one of that group early in the third unless there is a huge run on CBs in the second round.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There must have been something about Milliner that our front office and coaching staff didn't trust. I like the pick with Bark Mingo, it's not a sexy or flashy pick but he fills a need at outside linebacker and pass rush. You build a championship defense with explosiveness and quality depth. We now have Sheard, Winn and Hughes all coming off the bench to spell guys and rotate with them. I sincerely hope we don't trade Sheard or Rubin to get more picks though...

Our next three picks need to be Safety, Offensive Guard, and I would almost say two cornerbackers.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

..the Fins disrupted it by stealing Jordan.

I would have much preferred Jordan (for what that's worth). How are we going to use Mingo? If, IF, as a situational pass rusher, then the value at the #6 pick isn't there. IMO, this was a (minor) reach on our part...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Our next three picks need to be Safety, Offensive Guard...

With the run on OL, by the 3rd round, there won't be an OG worth looking at. My dark horse, Travis Frederick, is off the board, drafted by Dallas at #31 (I believe)...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They can do several things..teams with excellent pass rushes just draft these guys and turn them loose.They don't worry about how much or how little they play.
I'm going out on a limb here and say I'm sure yet but I honestly think it depends on how Sheard handles his new tasks..but now there is a wave of OLB's the Browns have ,that they didn't have when we played the 34 before.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Mingo's a similar prospect to B.Irvin and M.Ingram who went 15th and 18th overall last draft and both have been situational/rotational players in their rook season, so I expect the same with Mingo. Irvin had 8 sacks because he stayed in the 4-3 as a DE....Ingram, who made the same switch Mingo's going to adapt to, pretty much had a forgettable "redshirt" rookie season

Since he was picked much higher, I expect more than that from Mingo

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Round 1 Pick: Barkevious Mingo

Link Copied to Clipboard