Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nothing but a Kam Wimbley Jr. all over again.

Hey! Don't say that! lol

P.S. It's me, Superbrown, 3rd_and_20, from the old official Browns board. I was wondering when you were gonna show up here!

R
Legend
Legend
R
I read Chuds and Banners pressers after the pick.

Seemed like they enjoyed talking more about Mingo the person than Mingo the football player. "Everyone loved spending time with him!".

Are we building a famiy or a football team?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Since he was picked much higher

Thanks guys! Conventional wisdom says that a high 1st rounder (in our case, #6), should quickly become a Pro Bowler. A guy who is not going to see the field on all downs/situations, likely won't reach that lofty status. That is my rationale to believe Mingo was over-drafted...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People keep talking about Sheard being traded.

Everything I keep hearing or see here in NYC says they will be a rotating force and it was a solid pick. I kinda like that idea. and it takes some pressure off the db's

Joe Thomas #73
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Best thing about this pick?

It wasn't Geno Smith.

Honestly, aside from the 3 left tackles, this was probably the worst crop of players in the first round ever. No stand out, difference making players. No elite QB's. No high-production defensive stars. Lots of injury concerns. Overall, a crappy 1st round.

We probably made the pick we had to and took the last, true elite "talent" left on the board at 6. If we deal down with the Rams, we lose out on Mingo and probably take the tight end from ND or another corner.

This pick is growing on me...slowly...

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

Quote:

Since he was picked much higher

Thanks guys! Conventional wisdom says that a high 1st rounder (in our case, #6), should quickly become a Pro Bowler. A guy who is not going to see the field on all downs/situations, likely won't reach that lofty status. That is my rationale to believe Mingo was over-drafted...

I thought the same thing, but look at who was left. Is there another impact, 3 down player at that spot? Aside from drafting a guard at #6, I'll argue no.

An interesting discussion for sure.

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Barkevious Mingo was my number one choice, so of course, I am happy we got him. However, this pick is still high risk, high reward. This guy has a ton of athleticism, speed, and experience playing standing up, with his hands on the ground, 4-3DE, 3-4OLB, and 3-4DE at LSU. I'm guessing his days as a 3-4DE are over. Not sure he played it all that much anyways. I think he fits into the versatile mold Horton and Chud have been talking about. This pick is consistent with that.

His production at his final year of LSU doesn't concern me as much as others. Comments from his conference call were telling on what he was asked to do differently last year as opposed to two years ago when he racked up more sacks. Bottom line this kid creates havoc, disrupts timing of QB, and due to the still dominant pocket passer, I think we'll see him pull his ears back more and rush instead of QB contain, particularly in the AFC North. I think his traits coupled with Kruger's past will make our CBs better. Not sure what the team will do to address the second CB spot, but I keep thinking Bademosi will get a shot. I'm ok with that.

The risk is his technique, and what other people mentioned that I never thought about, was his lack of control. Hopefully this is coachable and he can refine his skills to match his pure talent. I'm not sure he is all that good against the run which is why Sheard may hang around, but you don't draft someone at 6 unless you expect him to play a more than significant role. It will be interesting to see what happens to Sheard. I don't think this will happen but he could be in discussions for a day 2 trade, but doubt it.

In hindsight, I think the top two on the Browns board were Jordan then Mingo. If Mingo was done, the trade would have happened, like Banner said.

The pick tells me a couple of things that I think are relevant, but surely no surprise to anyone:

1. It confirms how important this passing game is to this league. So like the Kruger and Bryant signing to apply pressure, this Mingo pick screams the same approach. Get to get the QB and do whatever you can to screw up the ever important passing game.

2. The was not a NEED pick. It was a BPA pick. And I really like that. I was ready to come on this board today and claim how worried I was about Milliner being picked because it screamed NEED to me. Everyone has their own opinion, but from many reports and analysis I've read on Milliner, he was not close to Haden, Peterson, and Claiborne at similar places they were picked. Couple that with the several medical procedures and the lack of CB signings in FA, and I would have felt this would have been a little bit of a desperation pick. Maybe desperation is too harsh a word since Milliner went a few slots later, just thought there were better overall players. I had come to shy away from Milliner as the days got closer.

I see people saying....we NEEDED to get Milliner because we had no #2 CB. I don't believe in that response. If the best player matched the need, then fine. But I don't think it did when we were on the clock.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

big ben will pick this kid up by the throat and PILE DRIVE HIM.

I didn't realize that Mingo was a 22 year old girl.

I agree with most that corner was the bigger need but I am pretty excited that we have a couple units that appear to be really good and really deep. I believe it was Peen who said, and I agreed, that this team hasn't since it's return had a unit that you could look at and say it was good, it was deep, it was finished for a while. I believe we can now say that about the front 7 and I think we are just some depth away from being able to say that about the OL (which I still think more highly of than most because I'm ok with the OGs, I just want to give it some time to come together)...

If the Browns could move up and get Cyprien (FS) out of FSU tonight... that would be awesome... nothing like a great pass rush and a speedy ball hawking FS to make any corner look better. (ref: Pittsburgh Steelers)

And like some others, I just held my breath and prayed that I didn't hear Geno Smith called...

yebat' Putin
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

People keep talking about Sheard being traded.

I keep thinking...Wouldn't the trade partner want a physical first?

Can't nullify the trade based on injury once we pick. That pick is gone. So, I think if there is a trade it will be in camp or early in the year for a 2014 draft pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am reminded of last years draft. In the second round Heckert selected Schwartz and a lot of people flat out hated the pick. Said he reached. Said Schwartz was not worth a second round pick. Then we took Hughes in the third and the haters erupted. What a horrible pick, huge reach etc.

The difference is Heckert vs Lombardi/ Banner. Based on history... Heckert is straight beast mode with draft picks.... (especially later in the rounds) Lombardi and Banner have a history of terrible draft selections that are athletic freaks of nature and lack sound technique and the players tend to have a few screws loose. In fact, I believe that there are a few people on this board that could draft better than Lombardi and Banner. (I am not one of them) I am going to also say that I will reserve my judgement of Mingo. He could be a home run or a strike out. I have never been a fan of high risk/reward players especially with so many sound quality players sitting all around us in the first round. It is what it is and no one outside of a few people can change what the Browns do. I just hope we have a quality product worth watching this year.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gotta admit that i'm good with the pick. He was one of my top 2 if we stayed at #6 with Milliner being the other.

He reminds me of a taller (6'5" compared to 6'4") Chip Banks but slightly heavier (241 vs 233/235ish). NFLDraftScout states that he "Possesses a lean, athletic build with plenty of room for additional muscle mass" which indicates the Browns will ask him to bulk up 12-20lbs???

Still don't think and/or want them to trade Sheard. Can't/won't believe there wouldn't be any room on this team for him if he was to shed 10 to 15??? Inside, next to DQ???

Obviously, with this pick, Rhodes's 3-4 D puts more emphasis on pressure (hurry the QB) vs coverage (making the QB work deeper into their progressions).

Gotta find a FS, CB, OG, TE in the next few rds or, after we know what we have via the draft, fill in with some unsigned FA's?

I'd have been good with Milliner and I'm good with Mingo. Looks like were gonna give back what we've been gettin from the Stools and the Ratbirds.

Also, why is it that everytime we seem to get a leg up on the AFC North competition that leg up goes back down when players/needs like Jarvis Jones, Tyler Eifert, and Matt Elam effortlessly fall into their laps. Just SICK about those picks.

jmho

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good and fair post.

At the end of the day, we picked an all out hustle player for our front 7, that's a start I guess. But playing defense is about stopping the run, rushing the passer and coverage....right now we LOADED up ALL of our top resources into the pass rush with Bryant, Kruger, Groves and Mingo...a little more "balance" would have been better imho as the pass rush won't help us if we can't stop the run or cover as we won't get to the QB on every down

Also, even in an attacking D, you can only rush so many players, so by default someone's going to be on the bench regularly....sure, LOVE the depth, but at the cost of a top 10 pick? Depth? We still miss a handful of 3down players and we party depth? Luxury anyone?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

..the Fins disrupted it by stealing Jordan.

I would have much preferred Jordan (for what that's worth). How are we going to use Mingo? If, IF, as a situational pass rusher, then the value at the #6 pick isn't there. IMO, this was a (minor) reach on our part...

Was it? There is only one more pass rusher on the board Jarvis Jones who went 17th.

You can forget about trading Rubin or Sheard it ain't happening. Just think, worst case Rubin and Sheard depth. Go ahead think about it and let it soak in a little...Rubin and Sheard depth. No more freak'n hand me downs from other teams...real starters as depth. Training camp having real competition recipe for winning!

Take a hard look at the overall balance on this team:
DB's have a 1st and 2nd round player.
DL have a 1st round
LB's now have a 1st and 3 second.
OL have a 2 1st and 1 2nd.
RB have a 1st.
QB's have a 1st.
WR's have 2 2nd.
TE is the only position without a 1st or 2nd round grade.

14 out of 22 positions have a 1st or 2nd round quality.

Looking at the four key ingredients in building a football team:
1. Franchise QB
2. Left Tackle
3. Pass Rusher
4. Shut Down Corner

It took Browns 13 years to finally draft all pieces. All four keys have a 1st rounder. Going forward they can now improve instead of "we need." Again let it soak in a little it is something Cleveland hasn't had since the 90's. Let me rephrase it. This team no longer in "we need" it is "improve" mode. Every year Browns are adding competition not finding a starter. It doesn't matter who is the coach, GM, or janitor. After 13 years, Browns assembled a team. From here forward, we get better.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Couldn't get to a computer for a couple of days.

1. Wed. Adam Schecter said he got news we were trying to move up to get Mingo...Sure ass heck glad that didn't happen.

2. I knew the strength up front in this draft were the LT. and the Edge rushers. Was hoping Floyd and /or Millner would have my two favorites Ansah or Jordan drop to us. No way...Johnson got taken #4 LTs went 3 of top 4 w/Jordan in the #3.

3. Throughout this last month I've been Ansah - Jordan and going back n forth w/Mingo n Millner as my 3rd choice.

4. Millner evidently w/5 surgeries had more than us back away...CB is a deep position as opposed to Edge Rushers. Actually Jets are being laughed at right now their fans are also very disappointed.

5. Mingo...love his explosive first step...has to get bigger but plays strong for 240.
Like the way he plays off blocks even doubled. Looks to have a good motor.
Only disappointment in watching Whole game film on him. Terrible Tackler - I hope that doesn't come back to Bite Us. No leverage n explosion into his tackles. QBs not bad but this was against RBs that I saw. Hope if he gets to 255+ he can become more physical.

6. If we do not trade Sheard for a 2nd round pick. I can only Assume. Mingo will come in ala Aldon Smith as a rookie for Passing Downs.

Lets face it...w/2 TWO Offensive GUARDS going in the top 10 - The pickings were slim up front...Made a lot of teams reach for OL Pugh, Frederick, Long - Fluker is no #11 talent. 6 OL in the top 11 picks should tell it all. Ansah n Jordan were the Stars for us to get. Mingo was hearing good things about him as in Hunter loving him. So I cannot be disappointed in taking him. Nothing can be better for our Attack D than an explosive Speed Edge Rusher...he gets bigger n stronger he could become the dominating player.

Cannot get a better name "BARK"evious Mingo...love Mingo especially if he Animals up with his Conditioning! Just sounds like a wild Dawg!

Hey the pickings were slim...Millner? Not only passed by us...What happens w/him facing NFL regarding Injuries. CBs have depth...rounds 3-5...we'll get a competitor Maybe even two. Honey Badger might be in our future?

JMHO - Mingo much much better than Jones. Steelers vs Browns...Edge Browns

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Nobody really knows till time goes by.

With that stated drafting players is normally done based upon two criterion that you hope intersect.

Best Player Available(BPA) and Position Of Need (PON).

Banner managed to swing and miss on both accounts.

PON - Free agent Paul Kruger and Quentin (get me some) Groves will play with Sheard and Mingo. Tell me how that works?

BPA - Depends on who you talk too. Senior year 4.5 sacks, junior year 8. Jarvis Jones 14.5 sacks his senior year, 13.5 junior year. Jarvis played OLB under Todd Grantham's 3-4. Mingo will have to learn OLB.

Then of course you had Dee Milliner right there. Not only was Milliner a safer pick as a corner but he filled a very specific need.

And so it goes. Another year.

Maybe Haslam will be forced to sell the team. If he pleads guilty of knowing about the fraud the NFL may force his hand. Then of course Banner will sail. Horton will become a coach somewhere else. New regime will come in and decide on the 4-3 and we can all start over again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Wed. Adam Schecter said he got news we were trying to move up to get Mingo...Sure ass heck glad that didn't happen.

I sure didn't hear that or read anywhere on that..just briefly heard we were calling about moving up but then it died.

M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

No joke.....

Barkevious has a brother named Hughtavious.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Then of course you had Dee Milliner right there. Not only was Milliner a safer pick as a corner but he filled a very specific need.

I'm curious to understand why you think he was a safer pick. Not trying to be combative, just interested.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Quote:

JC

No joke.....

Bark n' Hugh ........sounds like a cartoon

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In hindsight, I think the top two on the Browns board were Jordan then Mingo. If Mingo was done, the trade would have happened, like Banner said.

Thats it in a nutshell..I agree with your posts.they wanted a athletic fast OLB who can get to the passer and disrupt a offense.
I would gather that Jordan/Mingo were 1/2 on their board and I do remember sometime back his name was mentioned by someone in the FO BUT IT WAS A BRIEF comment.
Well Horton has his pass rusher ,as I noted they want to apply pressure upfront , I give them credit , they have their plan and are sticking to it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
FYI

For all those interested, the press conference is scheduled for 2pm. I'm sure it will be on Clevelandbrowns.com

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... was not a NEED pick. It was a BPA pick

I guess Memphis, it depends on whose board. Personally, I believe it was a bit of a reach...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

Safer pick because he was the top rated corner in the draft and he will not be learning a new position.

If you cross check all the scouting reports on Mingo you will find opinions all over the board. Most consider Mingo a boom or bust player. If you go by productivity his senior year was lacking in results.

Milliner played under Saban. Played against top competition. He displayed his ability consistently at every testing level. His game film is terrific. He shined at the combine.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Why the hell would we trade Sheard?

Why, exactly?

We want lots of pass rushers .... to send rusher after rusher after rusher after the QB.

I will make you a bet right now that Roethlisberger will not pick him up by the throat and body slam him. I will bet anything that this does not happen.

Bud, in all honesty almost everyone has him scheduled as a situational player. And let's be honest here, this FO has put all of their eggs into one basket.

We signed a TE that may be nothing more than camp fodder. A WR that, while talented, has never been able to stay healthy. We replaced Colt with Campbell. And all of these were very low investments from a cap perspective.

People wish to talk about the price of having two high pick CB's, but have no problem with a very high priced and high investment front seven.

As far as high investments, they've put all of their eggs into one basket. The kid is actually built in a way that makes him look like he can be handled pretty easy. His stats simply don't jump out at you and as I said, he seems to be, from what I've seen, as a situational player.

I hope the kid ends up being a beast. I always want the Browns and their players to do well. And no matter how much you blitz? You live by the blitz and die by the blitz.

I do feel this selection makes Sheard more expendable, but hope he isn't sent packing anywhere.

I know this draft is deep at CB, but I heard it said last night that several are predicted to go in round two. Possibly between 8-10. If we don't get back into the second round somehow, no matter how deep CB is, we will be selecting from a very depleted CB position.

The fact is, not having a strong secondary does appear to make quite a difference. The fact is, in the last half of the season last year, Zona gave up 31 points to Green Bay, 31 points to St. Louis, 58 points to Seattle and 27 points to San Fran.

Blitzing often times has its cost. And as much as people uphold dumping the vast majority of our resources into the front seven and putting the secondary on the back burner, I think this season will go a very long way in showing why that was not the wisest move going forward. We don't just have one question mark in our secondary, but two. Don't forget, that S spot needed addressed too.

TE's will give us fits this year because I don't see many if any guys that can cover in our LB'ing core. I'm hoping for the best but feel it's going to get pretty ugly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Where I can get some Buster Skrine vs Dez Bryant video? I gotta prepare for the season.It's not easy keeping pizza and wings down after witnessing a train wreck like that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

JC

No joke.....

according to wikipedia, he has a brother named Hugh AND and brother named Hughtavious.

That's interesting.

Not that I care what his or his brothers names are, I just want him to do well on the Browns!

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Nothing but a Kam Wimbley Jr. all over again.

yup......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Where I can get some Buster Skrine vs Dez Bryant video? I gotta prepare for the season.It's not easy keeping pizza and wings down after witnessing a train wreck like that.

yep get used to that....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hey...not making it up...watching ESPN before NFL 32 Schecter on the screen n looking at his phone...he looks at his phone n then states Just got word Browns are looking to move up for Barkevious Mingo. Never heard anything else after. I don't think I was dreaming...lol

Just stating my frame of mind during the first 5 picks.

Obviously Mingo's family have a ROMAN EMPIRE fettish...lol

Hail Barkevious!

We'll see how he progresses. Pass Rush will improve 4-5 DB positions as opposed to improving ONE. All depends if Mingo produces!

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Somebody help me! Is it my eyes or is Sheldon Brown suddenly beginning to look a lot like that actress in the Direct TV Genie commercial?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Luxury anyone?

Or necessity.

Our front seven is locked with the ability to stay fresh with heavy rotation while administering constant pressure. I think Mingo will be decent this year, good next year and great the year after. I also look for Sheard to wreak havoc this year from the edge, and do an okay job dropping into coverage. Taylor, Winn, Hughes, Bryant & Rubin will wreak havoc up the middle, at the minimum, one or more will command double teams.

We can honestly say at this point that we're heading for one of the top front seven's in the league. Have we ever been able to say that?

I have no doubt we'll find someone to play opposite Haden, and we'll get a FS, an MLB, a TE and a guard, and I believe we'll eventually find our starting QB. It's just not going to all happen this year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I like the Mingo pick as well. A good pass rush will make the coverage not have to hold as long. Now we gotta get a S or CB today.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Candy-gram for Mingo......candy-gram for Mingo.

Legend
Legend

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

Some of you guys kill me. We could draft Jim Brown and people would complain that all we did was draft a lacrosse player who happens to be a running back.

I'd be surprised if Mingo wouldn't have been drafted high by someone else had the Browns not taken him. It's not like we drafted Craig Powell, Mike Junkin, or Clifford Charlton. Someone earlier mentioned Chip Banks. That was my first thought when seeing Mingo. Something about him reminds me of Chip Banks

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Safer pick because he was the top rated corner in the draft and he will not be learning a new position.

If you cross check all the scouting reports on Mingo you will find opinions all over the board. Most consider Mingo a boom or bust player. If you go by productivity his senior year was lacking in results.

Milliner played under Saban. Played against top competition. He displayed his ability consistently at every testing level. His game film is terrific. He shined at the combine.

Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree with all of it but I understand your points.

-I think some teams had D.J Hayden rated higher than Milliner.

-Mingo played under Miles. Played against top competition as well. Milliner and Mingo came from the same conference.

-Mingo was one of the combine heroes and shot up "draft boards" of analysts because of that.

Anyways, the main reason why I asked about "safe" was because of all the injury concerns with him and the rumor about starting the season on the PUP list. That's all. Mingo is high risk, high reward. No question. But I personally wouldn't attach "safe" to Millier although I liked him too.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
j/c

The one scouting report on him compared him to Demarcus Ware. If that's how it turns out, I'll be pretty happy with that.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
E
Legend
Legend
E
I got the Genie so I don't see commercials but only assuming the reference to some drop dead gorgeous actress??? Sheldon??? NAH...all throughout the draft process especially with highlights of other teams - almost everyone has #24 chasing a WR into the End Zone...n he will only get slower. Not going to miss him at all.

Not to change the subject...PO'd me that we were the only top 15 pick they didn't show Kid pictures n Highlights of the Prospect ONLY ONE (NFL Network)

Oh n all the talks with Solomon Wilcox - Inside Berea War Room...all they showed was EVERY MISTAKE LOWLIGHT OF WEEDEN Not ONE HIGHLIGHT just every SACK, FUMBLE n INT...Vers got a job w/NFL Network editing for Browns stuff...lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hey...not making it up...watching ESPN before NFL 32 Schecter on the screen n looking at his phone...he looks at his phone n then states Just got word Browns are looking to move up for Barkevious Mingo. Never heard anything else after. I don't think I was dreaming...lol

Just stating my frame of mind during the first 5 picks.

Obviously Mingo's family have a ROMAN EMPIRE fettish...lol

Hail Barkevious!

We'll see how he progresses. Pass Rush will improve 4-5 DB positions as opposed to improving ONE. All depends if Mingo produces!

JMHO

Wasn't saying you made it up..I know U better than that,.U don't make up stuff..I had mentioned in this forum a tip I had of a tradedown and who the Browns were targeting which Banner did confirm when he said if their player was gone a offer was on the table.
Around 2-3pm I saw something that said Browns rumored to trade up ,then it was debunked..but it was never said for whom on the site I was on.
On that site Mingo's name never was mentioned at all..Jordon and Milliner were but the talk of tradedown was the hot item.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And he can play both sides.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Round 1 Pick: Barkevious Mingo

Link Copied to Clipboard